Yoga for hips & lower back helps me w/ squats, lordosis & more!!

Wasn't sure where to post this but I recently discovered this yoga routine that has been a total game changer for me, and wanted to share in case it helps anyone else out!

I've struggled a lot to do body weight squats with good form. I just couldn't get myself low enough and felt that it was more of an inflexibility/tightness issue than lack of strength (although I'm sure that doesn't help). I've been analyzing my posture and form lately as I've started exercising more and realized a lot of my hangups come from my lower back, which just feels weak, inflexible, and excessively curved in (maybe some hyperlordosis going on?)

Anyways I recently went through this yoga routine and it felt AMAZING - like all of the troubles above just melted away as my hips and lower back opened up and relaxed. At one point during the routine I laughed out loud because it felt so good and felt like exactly what my body has been needing for a long time. 

The main reason I thought to share this is because after doing this routine, on a hunch I tried a body weight squat and the difference was like night and day! I could drop below parallel like it aint no thing! Ok, it was still physically challenging, but I felt that I could finally do it with proper form. Besides just the squats I also feel more comfortable going about my day; walking, standing, and sitting in front of a computer feel a lot better having stretched out and opened up this muscle group. 

I think this is going to have a big impact on my daily life as well as my exercise goals - I hope some of you will enjoy it as much as I did!  :peaceful:

• Like 2

Hi Cayleigh, thank you for sharing that link! :)

Hips and lower back are also sore points for me, and I have a love/hate relationship with some yoga poses for exactly that reason. ;)

Seeing that this is a fairly long video I'll have to check it out later (I'm at work right now :nevreness:).

Hobbit 

Challenges: 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9| 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

My shiny new "battle" log - probably more of a plodding-along log, but hey, it's mine!

Cayleigh,

I logged on this morning to search for an answer to something completely unrelated to this topic and yet your post showed up at the top of my page. I have big issues with my lower back and hips. I do PT exercises to keep my SI joint from being too lose and incredibly painful. One of my main every day goals is to work on flexibility and mobility because I really reLly really want to remain injury free.

Anyway, i haven't had a chance to look at the video yet (I will today!) but wanted to respond now anyway just to say thanks for posting. I think I was probably meant to see it! :)

Good luck on your adventures!

• Like 1

I'm on fitness overload right now( ever heard of drinking from the firehose? ). I bookmarked this for later as I have the flexibility of a steel girder( and I'm not a bender ). Thank you!!

Hey. I've got a blog!! ----> The Dilnad Can!

This is how I did it. This is how you too can do it! ----> http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2015/09/28/learn-how-an-office-worker-lost-100-lbs-saved-his-own-life-and-became-a-superhero/

Oh wow. Just tried this and nearly started crying on ever glut and ham stretch. :unconscious:

I think I'll stick to it between my training days. I tried looking for another one to complement this for some chest, shoulder, upper body stuff, but the site has soooo many things on it. Did you by any chance find one?

Honestly I've just been doing this one since I found it and it felt like exactly what I needed. I haven't looked around for upper body stuff but I'll definitely let you know if I find anything good. Maybe try looking at that same guy's other videos, since he seems to know what he's doing. If you find something please let me know!

I'm on fitness overload right now( ever heard of drinking from the firehose? ). I bookmarked this for later as I have the flexibility of a steel girder( and I'm not a bender ). Thank you!!

Haha! I hear you on the steel girder thing. I hope you can try it eventually and that it helps. After doing this for about a week I can *almost* touch my toes (still bending the knees a tiny bit but not much) and I've pretty much never been able to do that. There are still parts of the routine I really struggle with but it's made a big difference so far. :)