erawka: JFLA! [explicit]

erawka

JLFA! = Just Fucking Lift Already!

So I'm late to start and haven't really spent much time about short term goals. Long terms goals, the pull up and the BW squat, remain the same. The forms of exercise I enjoy (lifting, climbing, biking) remain the same. The job, however, is about to be quite different.

Without getting lost in the weeds of Shop Talk, I'll summarize: I'm going on light duty for a spell. Probably six months or more. There are a couple cases I'm hanging on to because they're certainly going to be trials and I've worked them over a bunch. But for the most part, I'll be clocking in and out and not taking much work home. So this is the very beginning of a good time to focus on health.

I just finished a Whole30, and while I'm glad to have some of those restrictions off , it clarified how much I really do love eating clean. Food still needs to be involved in my goals, but I'm getting closer and closer to where I want to be food-wise.

So stay tuned for goals. I want to think about them a little more before I throw them up here. But, spoiler alert, JFLA! will be involved. Probably a 3x/week minimum JFLA! If that goes well this challenge, then perhaps more

Battle Log

"Either you take care of business and give yourself the best chance of survival (while accepting the inherent fuckedupitude and randomness of life), or you relinquish all hope entirely." -- Krista Scott-Dixon

I'm excited about your light duty!  I think you'll find it AMAZINGLY refreshing given the stressors of your daily job.  Kudos to your workplace for having that option. 

And yea whole 30!  Clean eating is a huge thing for me.  So much so that I am really strict about.  It's truly amazing. 

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

Holy fuck, dudes. Today was a real rodeo. But I had a chance to think about GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOALS and here they are:

1. JFLA! 3x/week. No excuses. Probably Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday. This is a change since I'd been counting AGT days as a lift day. Lately, though, we're focusing on all kinds of things that aren't necessarily lifting. Since the acronym is for Just Fucking Lift Aready! and not Just Fucking Go To The Gym And Do Something, ANYTHING, I won't count Sunday AGT sessions. Sometimes they're just mobility/activation work and a little met con. Sometimes they're full-on powerlifting focused.

2. Pull-up practice. There's a bar at work and a bar at home. I have no excuse. Today I start with one a day, and I add one from there. Mind you, these are not dead hang - I can pull myself up from a stand, though. The bar at work is higher and therefore harder than home bar. Bonus points for that.

3. Foods. I've landed on a situation that works for me. It's a primal situation that permits fermented dairy and rice, with occasional corn, chocolate, and red wine. This challenge, occasional means occasional. If I have corn, chocolate, or red wine one day, I can't have any of those three the next day. This is my starting place, cribbing from the Don't Miss A Day playbook.

4. Sleep. Screens off by 8:30pm. Natural Calm. 'Nuff said.

Today has been a chocolate day (unexpectedly, slight fail due to courthouse madness and the ole "I'm not on Whole30 anymore! NOM.") so no go two in a row.

Battle Log

"Either you take care of business and give yourself the best chance of survival (while accepting the inherent fuckedupitude and randomness of life), or you relinquish all hope entirely." -- Krista Scott-Dixon

Ha-ha! Found your thread!

Congrats on finishing Whole30!! I love the goals and your pursuit of eating clean -- something I need to get better at. But sleep, beautiful sleep. That right there is a worthy goal.

"You can't climb the ladder of success with your hands in your pockets." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"The important thing is not to think much but to love much; and so do that which best stirs you to love." - St. Teresa of Avila

Current Challenge: Seeks Balance | Battle Log: Ye Olde Battle Logge | NF Character: Public Profile | Strava 

I was like, "What's Erawka up to?"  Scanning my topics list, scanning... scanning... "Wait, have I not subbed her current challenge? What the what?!" 

All that to say, HI! I'm here.  Excited, as always, for your awesome challenge.  And really excited for light duty.  

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

سلام چتور استى

Been gone too long and missed all of y'all. Also can't get the freakin Arabic script keyboard to do quite what I want it to (just says hi, how are you). Getting late, hitting the rack. More later.

• Like 1

yep.i'm just going around liking all of samunwal's posts.

"Come with me if you want to lift" -The Brominator

"Later, I would learn that coincidences are the most planned things in the world. Later, I would learn that every single moment is a coincidence." - Douglas Coupland

"Anyone who doesn't want french fries every day is a commie." - AngelaTheGeek

Current Challenge

INSTAGRAM!!

find me on twitter

hiiii

limerence.gif

Ha-ha! Found your thread!

Congrats on finishing Whole30!! I love the goals and your pursuit of eating clean -- something I need to get better at. But sleep, beautiful sleep. That right there is a worthy goal.

I didn't hide it! I swear! Also, hello. Welcome.

Sleep is bar none one of my favorite activities. I won't be sad if I die knowing that I slept a full third or more of my life away.

I was like, "What's Erawka up to?"  Scanning my topics list, scanning... scanning... "Wait, have I not subbed her current challenge? What the what?!" 

All that to say, HI! I'm here.  Excited, as always, for your awesome challenge.  And really excited for light duty.  

I was a little late and a little not-updatey. Makes sense that you'd be all, "Where she at?"

سلام چتور استى

Been gone too long and missed all of y'all. Also can't get the freakin Arabic script keyboard to do quite what I want it to (just says hi, how are you). Getting late, hitting the rack. More later.

SAMUNWAL!!! You ole so-and-so! Where have you been? I'ma find your thread right now and use ALL CAPS for EMPHASIS because I'm EXCITED you're here!

yep.i'm just going around liking all of samunwal's posts.

And why wouldn't you? What a dreamboat. That guy.

Battle Log

So. Last week was not great. There may have been daily panic attacks all week. I can neither confirm nor deny.

This week, however, is shaping up nicely. AGT was super late to my session today (due to circumstance beyond his control - it's cool) but that means we're getting together Tuesday for a session AND I had a good DL session today. Volume was the name of the game since I've been off my lifting for a couple weeks (vacay + panic). My form is still looking good, and I feel about as good as I can when it's freaking hot out.

Pull-up practice is a big check. Mostly negatives at the gym today. I made a passing attempt at a kipping pull to see what would happen and my shoulders were pretty clear that wasn't a good idea.

About to shut down the comp and call a night screen-wise. It's too freaking hot for a warm glass o' Natural Calm. I might melatonin if things get rough, but I've actually been falling asleep pretty well lately.

Battle Log

limerence.gif

SAMUNWAL!!! You ole so-and-so! Where have you been? I'ma find your thread right now and use ALL CAPS for EMPHASIS because I'm EXCITED you're here!

And why wouldn't you? What a dreamboat. That guy.

Y'all would make me blush if I had any sense of shame or modesty.

And you're doing right listening to your shoulders. Push it but just don't get nuts.

Light duty turned out to not be so light during the transition period. It'll be truly light duty soon, though. Also, I fell the fuck to pieces. Major panic attacks, major trials, major home drama.

All is returning to normal, though. I have one last trial this week before I can truly let go and enjoy light duty. I might just have to pull a straight do-over on this challenge.

On a related note, I've been using the Lift app for goal tracking, and I really like the interface. If anyone else uses it, hit me up.

Battle Log

Stupid life. Stop getting in the way!

Light duty! It'll come! It'll be glorious!

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

Sorry the transition has been so rough. But, it will make reaching light duty and less stress that much sweeter!

"You can't climb the ladder of success with your hands in your pockets." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"The important thing is not to think much but to love much; and so do that which best stirs you to love." - St. Teresa of Avila

Current Challenge: Seeks Balance | Battle Log: Ye Olde Battle Logge | NF Character: Public Profile | Strava 

Since this challenge fell apart so severely, I'm probably going to incorporate most of it into the next challenge. Not the food thing, though. That was too complicated to implement. I think a "don't eat lunch out" goal or a "eat slowly" goal will be more useful. Ultimately, my issues tend to stem more from letting work supersede workouts. There is literally no reason for me to do that now. No more trials for the foreseeable future. Not that work was an excuse before, but it's even less of an excuse now.

It feels like this world of goals is just wide open in front of me. It's going to be hard not to try to Do All The Things.

Battle Log

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines