Bekah's Journey Step Nine: Being A Princess Is Not A Career Choice...wait...what?!?!

Bekah

Towards the end of the last challenge, I had some Vocational Testing done, to see what my personality and aptitudes and interests would make a good career fit for me and the results were...well...not what I expected entirely. 

I started out 3 weeks ago, admitted to Grad school for Social Work, starting 3 weeks from now, but now that's entirely off the table and I am going in a whole new direction, because while I may LOVE Social Work in theory, I am not a very socially intelligent person, which is a death knell in a position like that, and I realized that I would be doing every one of my clients a disservice by choosing that career, and there are many other choices out there that fit better with my strengths rather than my weaknesses. 

The testing told me several things:

1. I am smart (IQ >125)

2. I am unique (INTJ using the MBTI Personality Testing)

3. I enjoy physical activities that involve an element of risk while being non-gender typical

4. I am capable of learning higher level math (possibly the most important point)

Many of these I was already aware of (I have known I was an INTJ since high school) and that INTJs are very interesting folks (Sherlock, Moriarty, Gandalf, Augustus Caesar, Hannibal, Thomas Jefferson are examples of this personality type) and make up a very small percentage of the population ( < 2%) and that I am smart enough to do pretty much anything I want. 

So why am I 36 and have about zero confidence in my ability to do/be anything of value? Well...because life has tried to kick my ass, and it has pretty much succeeded in this area. Self Esteem and Self Confidence and Self Value are serious issues I need to overcome (I know that's news to everyone ;) )

So during the course of all this testing, many different career paths were thrown around, and the two top contenders were: Massage Therapist and Accountant. Talk about mind boggling! Me...the girl who has cheated her way through every math course since 6th grade except Logic (including college math) doing Accounting?!?!?!?! What?!?!?!

But seriously, we also realized that my issue with math is not one of ability (I can figure out lower level math in my head faster than just about anyone...someone I didnt know even asked if I was a mathematician once because of that) but it was because I didn't ever actually learn some of the very basic things I should have in middle school, and never could catch up because the later stuff builds on those.

So the solution is: Teach myself lower level math, and work my way up and doing that will give me some self confidence and success and some good feels (Which by the way is something I was told a year or so ago by someone else, and it's just very daunting and I dont want to fail). 

I am also planning in the meantime, to do some job shadowing and work experience and some other things with Accountants in the area to see how I do and what I think, and then it looks like maybe a Masters in Accounting or an MBA in my future (not sure which route is best yet, anyone have a clue???) and if/when this works...I will also have the ability to support myself (my biggest fear, eliminated) and then yay! 

So now...about challenge goals: 

1. Do my Math Workbook: One lesson per day
2. Modified Before Bed Routine: daily

3. Eat GFCF and do the Potatoes not Prozac Plan Step One: breakfast daily with protein

4. Yoga: 3x a week 15 minutes minimum (Savasana counts right now)

5. 8 hours of sleep

TL;DR: I am an INTJ (like Sherlock) and don't suck at Math and am going to work towards a career in Accounting and my challenge goals are all repeats of basic life shit (Bedtime Routine, Eating Breakfast and Gluten/Dairy Free, Yoga, Sleep and Math bookwork)

Bottom Line: I was selling myself short at just settling for being a Princess

• Like 3

Druid Assassin Halfling

:) Druid  :)

Level 16, Current Quest: Bekah Returns

Spoiler

Your life does not get better by chance. It gets better by change.

- Jim Rohn

a5u6u3y4.jpg
  • Like 3

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

scrn_superMarioGalaxy-Toad.jpg

• Like 1

Level 2 Warforged Druid

STR: 2, DEX: 1, STA: 3, CON: 3, WIS: 2, CHA: 3

"If these people tell this story to their children as they sleep; then maybe someday they'll see a hero is just a man who knows he is free."

Good night and joy be to you all ~Jitters The. Clown

Current Challange: New Challenges Ahead!

Battle Log: Clowning around daily

Past Challenges: Leveling Up PvP Jump Rope Boss Continue? System Failure Systems Online Calling Rush Confirm Reset Select World Select Difficulty, Select Character, Repairs, Press Start, First Timer, Jump Rope PVP Challenge

Love your new goals and so glad you've found something that should really work for you as a career! 

I've heard great results with potatoes not prozac.  Hope it suits you.  It'll work with the other restrictions?

How have you been feeling lately?

I don't know anyone IRL (or even online outside of her yahoo group) that has done it (Potatoes not Prozac) but I have dabbled with it for a while, and her stuff makes sense based on what I do know about how my body reacts to foods, so it should work (I hope!) and as far as with food restrictions, I have a bit harder time with her "eat brown carbs" so I just eat my GF bread and don't gorge on it (2 slices at breakfast with butter) and make sure I hit the protein goal, bc for me I know that's the killer. 

Well see, I have been feeling VERY VERY VERY VERY badly (like was suicidal last week, bad) and I realized that what constitutes normal emotional life for me, is really just above suicidal depression, (apparently that one doctor was pretty accurate there), and I do the "fake it till you make it" approach to happiness (and it works, sometimes) but I guess I just pretty much ignore my thoughts and feelings about my life, because well, they are depressing...and with the kids being gone, I had less stress and started to feel, and then this whole career upheaval thing (It happened 2 weeks ago, but I have been dealing with the fallout and just now see the real positives fully) so things just went from bad to horrorous, but I know myself, and I know that I don't really want to die, and that it will pass if I just push through that initial bit of hopeless icky-ness, so I did, and now I feel better and have some new goals and new solutions to focus on, and hopefully these successes with my biggest areas of feeling like a failure, will cause me to feel better about myself and feel less like a worthless, fat, slob who is a burden on everyone she knows...and then the icky feelings underneath will go away, then normal wont be faking as often as making, and I will be okay in the end. 

Druid Assassin Halfling

Spoiler

- Jim Rohn

Bekah,

I have taken those MBTI tests to and they are helpful to a point. But I must say you have character strengths that shine through on this site that show what an amazing person you are that are not showing up on those test. 

If you are interested in a different type of test try this site out. It is through a psychology professor's work at PENN. He is the author of Authentic Happiness and Flourish: A Visionary New Understanding of Happiness and Well Being

https://www.authentichappiness.sas.upenn.edu/testcenter

There are lots of tests but the test called "VIA Survey of Character Strengths" could give you insight to the strengths of your character that you may not have thought about. :)

The books are excellent as well. 

You are in a transition stage, the darkness will end, light will brightly shine and you will be transformed. 

• Like 2

Hello and welcome back!  There is a lot of great stuff going on in your thread.  Can't wait to cheer you along!  :)

• Like 1
Spoiler

PREVIOUS CHALLENGES

2013: 6/1/13 - 7/24/13 - 9/15/13 - 11/6/13   2014: 1/5/142/19/14 - 4/9/14 - 6/6/14 - 7/24/14 - 9/11/14 - 11/5/14 

2015: 1/2/15 - 2/20/15 - 4/9/15 - 6/2/15 - 9/10/15 - 10/26/15   2016: 1/1/16 - 2/28/16 - 3/28/16 - 6/6/16 - 9/19/16 - 10/26/16 - 11/26/16   

2017: 1/1/17 - 9/17/17   2018: 1/1/18 - 2/5/18 - 8/13/18 - 11/26/18   2019: 1/7/19   2020: 9/13/20

Oh!  And I had to take the personality test and found out that I'm an ISFJ.  That was kinda fun!  :frog:

• Like 1
Spoiler

PREVIOUS CHALLENGES

2013: 6/1/13 - 7/24/13 - 9/15/13 - 11/6/13   2014: 1/5/142/19/14 - 4/9/14 - 6/6/14 - 7/24/14 - 9/11/14 - 11/5/14 

2015: 1/2/15 - 2/20/15 - 4/9/15 - 6/2/15 - 9/10/15 - 10/26/15   2016: 1/1/16 - 2/28/16 - 3/28/16 - 6/6/16 - 9/19/16 - 10/26/16 - 11/26/16   

2017: 1/1/17 - 9/17/17   2018: 1/1/18 - 2/5/18 - 8/13/18 - 11/26/18   2019: 1/7/19   2020: 9/13/20

depending on my mood I bounce between INFJ (what I was when I took it just now) and ISTJ.... I am ALWAYS introvert... and ALWAYS judging... it's the intuition/sensing and feeling/thinking... and MOST of the time I am a thinker over a feeler... so it's weird that I got feeler tonight... 

makes sense that we get along

• Like 1

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

Liberator has the BEST links!  How interesting!  I'm totally doing this inventory now.  I did the M/B personality test a while ago and I'm ESTP.  

I've never heard of Potatoes not Prozac, but it sounds interesting.  I've known prozac to be very helpful for some people, but also pretty damaging for others.  So I guess it just depends on how you react to it. 

Maaaaath.  Good for you.  There is a lot of really really interesting work done by these people who run the JUMP program.  It's for kids, but I think that it's such an amazing program.  Anywho, 

Um...according to the love chart above, for ESTP the statement is "You know you love me".  I sincerely have no idea how to respond to that.

• Like 1

Level 3 - Person who doesn't really understand what stats are.  I know, you've explained it...

Bekah,

I have taken those MBTI tests to and they are helpful to a point. But I must say you have character strengths that shine through on this site that show what an amazing person you are that are not showing up on those test. 

If you are interested in a different type of test try this site out. It is through a psychology professor's work at PENN. He is the author of Authentic Happiness and Flourish: A Visionary New Understanding of Happiness and Well Being

https://www.authentichappiness.sas.upenn.edu/testcenter

There are lots of tests but the test called "VIA Survey of Character Strengths" could give you insight to the strengths of your character that you may not have thought about. :)

The books are excellent as well. 

You are in a transition stage, the darkness will end, light will brightly shine and you will be transformed. 

Positive Psychology :love_heart:  I read Authentic Happiness and did the VIA strengths test several years ago, but did it again just to see how things went. Not a whole lot of change (Curiosity and Interest, Fairness Equity and Justice, Critical Thinking, Judgement and Open-Mindedness, Love of Learning, Bravery and Valor--were the top 5, Social Intelligence, teamwork and discretion were bottom 3) 

Thank you for the encouragement :wub: 

Welcome back!

Your challenge speaks to me on so many levels, it.s not even funny o_O (Srsly, I wanted to have a math-based challenge before, but never did so because I didn't want to fail lol.) Good luck, and great news on the new career possibilities :D

I remember you mentioning struggling with math and all that before, if I can do it, you DEFINITELY can :) and Thank you! 

Hello and welcome back!  There is a lot of great stuff going on in your thread.  Can't wait to cheer you along!   :)

Thank you!!!

Oh!  And I had to take the personality test and found out that I'm an ISFJ.  That was kinda fun!   :frog:

You have the same personality type as my husband, a word of advice: dont marry an INTJ ;) LOL! 

depending on my mood I bounce between INFJ (what I was when I took it just now) and ISTJ.... I am ALWAYS introvert... and ALWAYS judging... it's the intuition/sensing and feeling/thinking... and MOST of the time I am a thinker over a feeler... so it's weird that I got feeler tonight... 

makes sense that we get along

It does....Well that and because you are awesome :D 

attachicon.gifavatar_mbti_by_mbti_characters-d6wej91.jpg

So you are a Mastermind! Cool! I have always wanted to know a mastermind!

Mine has changed through the years, twenty years ago I was a INFJ now I am ENFP.  

I have been the same almost entirely since I took t he test all those years ago (although once I got an INTP (my J/P are pretty close to even) but my INT are always super strong. 

This made me laugh…

MBTI love sayings and ideas about love according to the different personalities… 

http://www.deviantart.com/art/MBTI-Love-Sayings-424781395

"I will fix you" Soooooo unfortunate and true. :( 

Liberator has the BEST links!  How interesting!  I'm totally doing this inventory now.  I did the M/B personality test a while ago and I'm ESTP.  

I've never heard of Potatoes not Prozac, but it sounds interesting.  I've known prozac to be very helpful for some people, but also pretty damaging for others.  So I guess it just depends on how you react to it. 

Maaaaath.  Good for you.  There is a lot of really really interesting work done by these people who run the JUMP program.  It's for kids, but I think that it's such an amazing program.  Anywho, 

Um...according to the love chart above, for ESTP the statement is "You know you love me".  I sincerely have no idea how to respond to that.

JUMP program? (I googled and apparently there are zillion programs named similarly) can you link it here? 

Meds and me DO NOT do well, and I have seen significant changes in psychological symptoms with dietary changes, so I am hopeful.

"You know you love me" 

"uhm...maybe" (will make them NUTS!!!) LOL! 

Druid Assassin Halfling

Spoiler

- Jim Rohn

Hi again!

Hugs.

I'm an INTP, and I went and took the VIA because you inspired me.

My Top five are:

1. Creativity

2.Gratitude

3. Honesty

4. Humor

5. Curiosity

• Like 2

&Heidi

Gypsy Druid Paladin

Ranger1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 ::

Druid8 | 9 | 1011  | 12 | 13 |:: 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 |:: 1920 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 |:: 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 |:: 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 |:: 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53| 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 |:: 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | :: 70 |

Paladin71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 |

Heidi Chronicles  NF Character Sheet | @theheidifeed| MySlashdotKarmaIsExcellent

Subbing...and accounting is not the same as say algebra....I can't do algebra to save my soul but will have a masters in accounting on Dec 8th :)

• Like 1

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for

Current: RES: CRUSTED is the only acronym I can come up with for this

Spoiler

Magickal, Eclectic, Goddess, Level 71

|1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13|14|15|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|27|28|29|30|31|32|33|34|35|36|37|38|39|40|41|42|43|44|45|46|47|48|49|50|51|52|53|54|55|56|57|58|59|60|61|62|63|64|65|66|67|68|69|70|71|72|73|74|

My Character Page | Tracking Spreadsheet | My BlogMyFitnessPal |

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

Day 2:

1. Do my Math Workbook: One lesson per day 0/39

2. Modified Before Bed Routine: daily 1/39

3. Eat GFCF and do the Potatoes not Prozac Plan Step One: breakfast daily with protein 0/39

4. Yoga: 3x a week 15 minutes minimum (Savasana counts right now) 0/18

5. 8 hours of sleep 1/39

Today I had a headache from the time I got up until about 7pm, so breakfast was shot, math was shot and so was yoga...but I sleptand didmy beforebed routine, sort of....I need to qualify what counts as far as modified goes. So far I am in bed on time and showered, so yay!

• Like 2

Druid Assassin Halfling

Spoiler

- Jim Rohn

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines