• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Balthazar

Conditioning

Hey there

I would like to include some conditioning in my work outs, such as bunny hops that I know are used in kung fu and probably others, as well as going down stairs on all fours.

I wondered if anyone had any conditioning exercises they had used that seem specific to martial arts rather than generic exercises like running, press ups and planks.

Any ideas would be very much appreciated

• Like 1

Hey there! Just saw this thread sittin there, all by its lonesome, and figured I'd chime in.

First things first, your question seems a little vague. As there are many types of martial arts, there really isn't a generic answer out there. I've no experience with soft styles, so I'll do my best to answer with what I know.

In general, the standard "conditioning" exercises (things like pushups, pullups, squats, etc.) are so common place is that they are extremely efficient at what they do. That being said, you can always find "modifications" to these exercises by combining them with aspects of martial arts. Some examples that I use on a regular basis would be doing pushups on my knuckles as opposed to open hands to emphasis striking position and condition the knuckles, wrists, and forearms, or doing a squat before throwing a kick.

That being said, if you're truly working as hard as you can when training, the conditioning will invariably take care of itself. If you're throwing hard kicks and punches every time, you're engaging several muscle groups at a time, including that all-important core. So, my suggestion would be to start by upping the intensity of each strike you throw (unless you're going slower for a specific reason, which can also count towards that conditioning itself. Try throwing 50 slow roundhouses with correct technique, without setting your foot down, and without letting your leg drop below your waist. You'll see what I mean).

Hope this helps!

I'll chime in too so it's not so lonely.

The conditioning used at my MMA gym consists of running, push ups, ab work, planks, body squats, etc.  Lots of body only movements.  They also use an airdyne (resistance bike) a lot.  Stuff works.

Switch up doing it for volume, doing it slooooowly, holding down positions, etc. 

"Conditioning" seems to be a term very loosely thrown around a lot. What exactly do you mean when you say conditioning in this case and how would you attempt to quantify it?

I can't necessarily speak for Daniel, but I think I can understand where hes coming from. In fact I was going to post my own topic about it. I think finding ways to use martial arts style training in his workouts. 

For instance I want to try to throw in some shadow boxing into my workouts. I know nothing about boxing/fighting, so maybe a good place to start?

I think the ideas stated above by Tyro, specifically 50 kicks without lowering the leg are on the right track.

I can't necessarily speak for Daniel, but I think I can understand where hes coming from. In fact I was going to post my own topic about it. I think finding ways to use martial arts style training in his workouts. 

For instance I want to try to throw in some shadow boxing into my workouts. I know nothing about boxing/fighting, so maybe a good place to start?

I think the ideas stated above by Tyro, specifically 50 kicks without lowering the leg are on the right track.

Honestly, it's all about imagination. There are a huge number of ways to incorporate martial arts into conditioning, and vice versa.

As for incorporating shadow boxing into your workouts, there are a number of decent resources online to help guide you, but you'll get more out of attending an actual boxing gym. I've never attended one, so I can't speak on procedure there, but I'm sure if you're not looking to actually get in the ring, they might be willing to accommodate you. At the very least, you'd get experience hitting mitts/bags, etc. I'm not saying it's impossible to learn on your own, but you'll learn a lot quicker, and with better technique, by attending a quality boxing gym, even for a little while.

Even if you are going to shadow box, you should learn some basic technique.  Otherwise, you run the risk of hyper extension, etc. because in shadow boxing you are not hitting anything, so it becomes easy to hyper extend.  You can also "learn" terrible kick techniques.  In fight sports and martial arts, repetition is important for reinforcing form - if you reinforce bad form it is hard to undo. 

That being said... how to work this into a regular workout?

I sometimes warm up for lifting with a 3 min round of light shadow boxing.  It gets everything moving, it's a full body warm up for me (I kick, knee, etc.) and it doesn't require any equipment unless you really use a mirror (it depends for me).  As a warm up, it's pretty good if you keep it from becoming a sprint. 

You can also do sprint drills - 20 punches, sprawl, 20 hooks, sprawl, sprint, sprawl, repeat, etc.  Again, if you are over extending thought, you can cause some serious wear and tear on the body. 

Again i don't know about daniel but i have nothing i can do as far as gyms and stuff around me. There is one karate place near me, but i can't afford it.

I don't want to just be like oh well i can't do that.

On that note if i could i would totally jump in the ring. I tried some shadow boxing last night. I can see what you said about Hyper extension. So I'll watch that. I guess I'll look up some ideas online

off the top of my head shots(double ,singles sweep singles) , sprawls, shrmiping , techincal get ups/standing in base , triangle sit ups , briging , shaow boxing , shaow uchikomi, band and belt uchikomi , gi chin ups , Shuai jiao has a ton of contioning drills like belt snaping etc. and there go old zhan zhuang.

there is also a bunch of othe that require partners like the scarecrow drills