Yesterday was a strange workout day. I could already feel that my left hip would give me problems during the first squat warm-up rep. So instead of fucking it over royaly, I decided to try and get my squat form in order (no more but winking and "folding"). I slowly loaded up the bar in little increments, doing 5 reps always and going for "perfect" form: ass to grass, back straight, chest and ass raising together, hips pushing forward, chest pushing back when coming up.

Went pretty okay, although due to my "injured" left side, I was going a bit asymetrical....that is up to about 60kg (my current max being 77.5). This is where I could feel my form fall apart. I could still do it correctly but it was a fight. Also by that point my hip was in pain. So instead of pushing on I did another set and then deloaded a bit and did another 3 (wanted to do 5, but alas) to get some volume in at least.

Bench was much better, although I failed the first attempt at 52.5kg. First set 4 (5th with a little guidance from the spotter - "NO pulling"), second set 3 (again spotter helped me with stability after that) and third set with 4 again (5th like in the first set).

I think I could have managed the first set, by I usually go without spotter (there are plenty of guys to get you out from under a bar if it should ever not move from the chest^^) and I was a little unfocused because of that and lost tension on rep 4...

I think next time I'll see at least two of the sets completely through :)

Then, instead of doing the Power Clean that was on the plan, I decided to do something more hip friendly and went wild with stuff I have missed since going Starting Strength. I did some grip training (in the smith machine...woohoo...another use for that thing) just loading it up to about my deadlift weight and holding it for as long as I could for a few sets. Then I did bodyweight dips. Then I went on to hypers (loaded) and finished up with some warm-up crok-rows and (once the barbell was free) rows like Rip teaches them.

All in all I felt satisfyingly tired afterwards without the usual hip-throbing I had the last few times. I think I'll have to skip another Squat workout to get it going for good again. What do you think, fellow nerders? :)

Looking good, but yeah, I'd spare your hip for a workout or two to make sure it's doesn't get a longer-term injury on it.  Plenty of ways of working round it.

Big Show: Human Swift Hunter

Respawning. One day at a time.

Battle Log: Operation Wedding Suit - Take 2

Previous challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 

That's what I thought, Big_Show :)

Completely forgot I also did Curls...because you can't be a Bro without it ;D

Hm, other topic. I've been eating pretty well lately (and with well I don't mean healthy or "clean" but MUCHO), but for the last week or so my weight has just stopped increasing. That would be alright with me in general if it weren't for the fact that I still eat as much if not more than when I was still gaining 1lb per week steadily. I don't know yet if it's only a minor kink in the cruve or some weird plateau which I have to eat through...?

So, I wanted to not workout today because I'm currently takign a break on my squat to see how my hip will feel Mondy, but then I was bored and decided to steal a random workout from somewhere on the board ;)

BW Squats, some very deep holds a few reps. Just feeling out the range.

OHP, tried 35kg. This one still kills me after only 2-3 reps in a set. Did 4 sets to at least get some volume in and finished the full 5 with push pressing.

Chinups, should be weighted, but I struggle with 3x5 BW just fine, thanks.

Narrow Bench, had to substitute with Dumbells because bench was occupied. Did 18kg for 2 sets of 8

Dumbell rows, did 2 sets of 8 with 20kg.

DL, worked up to my working set and then some dude from the gym came by and talked a lot about "rules" so I wasn't quite warmed up when I tried my 115kg. There was another dude with a belt and I asked him if I could use it. Suddenly 115 didn't feel all that much, but he said I had bad form with the belt which I think could be true because I wasn't paying that much attention to my form. Instead I was feeling out the belt. I think I'll do the 115 again next time round.

Ended the whole thing with some plank holds and dead-bugs for good meassure.

All in all it was fun doing some other staff than usual. On the other hand, my legs feel not at all worked...I miss squating D:

• Like 1

Forogot to post my workout from yesterday. So here it goes:

• Squats (now with more form and depth): went up to 75kg but failed my last set, somehow I managed to lose controle and had to get out from under the bar, thank god I'm so flexible ^^
  • Bench: Failed the 52.5 kg again, but got some valuable pointers regarding form from a dude who spotted me. I'll deload slightly (~45) and work back up wit corrected form
  • BB Rows: 50kg, but I might have helped a tad much with the hip on the last two reps, will repeat
  •  
  • Assistance Ex:
  1. Dips with BW (I love dips) 3x7 (will work up to 8, then start loading with 5lbs or so)
  2. Hypers with 10kg
  3. DB Curls with 16kg (those were hard)
  4. Plank holds (normal and side)
  • Like 1

• Squats (now with more form and depth): went up to 75kg but failed my last set, somehow I managed to lose controle and had to get out from under the bar, thank god I'm so flexible ^^

I feel so sorry for laughing but I somehow couldn't stop when thinking of you looping around under the bar and making your way out ;D Hope you are fine and didn't get hurt! :)

You are working really hard and it's so awesome that you love working out so extremely much ^_^

"The purpose of life is to be happy." - Tendzin Gyatsho, the 14th Dalai Lama 

Character

No, everything was fine. I set my security bars rather low because I seem to be squating low enough to sometimes hit them when I try to put them higher. But I'm also quite flexible ^^

So, Battle log is again discontinued during challenges. I will do some pre-challenge post in my new challenge thread covering my trainign and stuff :)

See you there.

I look forward to following your next Challenge - I'll be starting my own thread up over in the Rangers forum tomorrow.  All the best for it mate!

Previous challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 

Actually just made it ahead of schedule - new link's in my updated sig!

Sent from the middle east.

Well hello there, old battle log. You are waaaaay down on the list here. Let me help you up ;D

So, after the challenge is before the challenge, as they say. Here I am.

Christmas wasn't too terrible, but it takes away a lot of time :)

So my first real workout after the last one on the 22th was on the 28th and the 31th.

The one before Xmas didn't really go all that well, as did the first after (so I stayed light, just get the body to do some stuff).

I was close to just throwing overboard all my plans again because I didn't see movement in numbers, instead my dear nerds on the chat convinced me to stick with it and instead maybe get some fractal plates for some lighter inbetween loading. They should now be on there way, but might only arrive in about 2 weeks (sad postal service is sad).

So on the 31th I did a not so light training and while it was hard and I did have to fight through most of my sets, I did it. No PRs, but close to my previous PRs, so there's that.

I'll stick with a more streamlined program than the one in the last challenge and basically will do ss/sl type of program with added chins and pullups. Though I'm not sure about rows, since they feel strange ;D

I'll probably keep with this for at least another 4 weeks and see how it goes ones I can micro-load. Otherwise I'll try to keep in mind "if it feels easy, you probably just have gotten lazy"...and I won't be lazy! ;)

First workout this year. Okay, all in all. Waiting for the 0.5kg plates though ;D

Squat: 2x5@77.5 + 1x1@77.5 - failed on that last set, but it was okay. I knew I probably would and I somehow ended up too low with my back. better next time :)

Bench: 5,4,4@55 - same deal, had to cut my last two sets one short because I failed, but that's okay. It's my PR, so :D

DL: 1x4@100 - I'll get the fifth rep next time around :)

Chin-ups: Three sets to failure: 7/3/3 (was more spent then I would have thought, maybe I need a longer rest than 60s)

Tomorrow some Pathfinder (dnd) with the boys and some foam rolling for them legs ;D

So very far down...well, hello there battle log, I'll stay with you a while longer this time (no challenge for me the next time 'round).

Looking up at the last workout entry is kind of disapointing....It's more than a month, but with being sick and not proregssing that well the only thing I'd say is on track is my squat. I'll have to see if I need to start looking into supporting my other lifts with some aux-ex.

Well, as I stated above, I won't join the challenge this time around. It just seems such a hassle and all I do anyways is put my workouts down there. I can do this here. So!

Now I even forget to put down my workouts here. ^^

So yesterday was alright, although I didn't really progress on squats or DLs.

SQ: 3x5@85 - didn't feel I had the strength (mental, in this case) to test my luck at 86 again yesterday

Bench: 1x5+2x4@56 - will repeat this, though it feels doable :)

DL: 1x3@105 + 2x1@110 - can't seem to progess here, so I did some heavier singles to remind my brain that I can indeed get the weights off the ground

Chinups were much better, I feel like the curling and triceps and back exercise help me here

*~Fluff~*

It's been a month. A month of nothing special so I kinda let the log slide a bit.

I changed programs about 2.5 weeks ago. I'm currently trying a form of Texas Method. On the long run having to PR every other day was just too stressful. I was beginning to dread going to the gym because it was hard/hard/hard. I'm well aware that to adapt the body must be challenged, but in the end it was too much. I was down to adding 1kg each session if I did manage my reps, so I wasn't going anywhere near "fast" anymore.

Texas Method adds weight every week, for those who don't know, and at the current pace I add 2.5kg each week, which is nigh as slow/fast as linear progression I was at before I switched, but it FEELS so much easier/better.

I'll keep with the program for a few weeks/months probably and see how it goes. As summer approaches I also think more about looks than strength, I admit. As such I have added some (read "a lot", at least for TM) arm training, since those sticks don't really look good on me. I'm thinking of maybe even moving further into the bodybuilding routine territory towards summer, but for now, I'll stay the course.

I might have to start weighing in more often again, since I no longer track food (though at least my protein is on a good level with me testing my cooking skills on more and more nice cuts of meat :)).

• Like 1

So, this week has been somewhat shit...and with this week I mean the past 10 days or so. I'll be done with my temporary project job end of this week and I've been looking around for a new job... had two interviews, which is awesome, because I saw my gf shooting out application after application and she only just got her first one.

One job, though they supposedly talked "very favorable" about me (friend of a friend works there, so she heard), shot me down for second rounds and the other job will most likely go to some PhD guy from a better school...as far as I know they already offered him the position and all he has to do now is accept (which a tiny sliver inside me still hopes, he won't).

Alas, at least lifting is on my side. PRs all around. And since I switched to the Texas Method I don't feel fucked up all the time but just Tuesday and Saturday ^^

Did my first 90kg Squat last week. If things go well I could reach 100 by the end of next month. DL still poses some problem, maybe have to try some deficit or something to get the starting point better. Bench is going up slowly but steady and OHP is just a bitch, but everyone knows that ^^

It's been a while....

Sadly the "100kg by emd of next month" didn't happen.

I fucked up my shoulder mid-april and then I had to skip a week because of mandatory military repetition course.

Also beginning of April I could feel the volume of TM gnawing at me...since I also wasn't satisfied how the plan handled other lifts and exercises (not at all), I decided to change to Grayskull LP, which my brother had recommended to me. It is basically a version of Starting Strength with the upper and lower body lifts switched around (start with upper, end with lower) and the possibility of AMRAP sets as the last set. Also it is just a template with 'plugins' depending on ones goals.

I'v only been with this program for 2.5 weeks, so cannot really comment yet, though I like that I don't spend too much time in the gym but still have the possibility to add stuff.

For now I'm doing:

Bench/press

Rows/Chins

Squats/DLs

Glute ham raises/planks or ab rollouts

Upperbody lifts alternate, squats on mo/fr and DLs on wed. Each complemented with an opposing push or pull exercise. Plus a bit more arms or shoulders if I feel like it ;D

So, while I already had to deload my squat (90+ kg felt hooooorrribly grindy) and bench (well, i wannna give my shoulder a fighting chance to recover ;)) at least my DL (117.5kgx5) went easY off the ground and while this isn't a PR, it is a PR for reps.

I started using mixed grip on the workset and this seems to also help (before I started double OHG and changed midset if I couldn't hold on anymore).

Well, so long and thanks for sticking around, if anybody still reads this ;D