• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Rumpel

Mouthguard recommendation

I'm new to BJJ and during my first month of training I have been grinding my teeth in a few occasions in a very uncomfortable way, so I'm looking to buy a mouthguard to prevent that.

I used a Shock Doctor mouthguard many years ago and I remember that it had a plastic/hard rubber frame and gel inside. The rubber frame felt like it was cutting into the inside of my lip and overall it wasn't very comfortable to wear. I have a pretty small jaw I might add here.

Have mouthguards advanced since I last used one?

Are there any you can recommend?

I've used Shock Doctors and haven't had issues - there are a few different models, maybe there's one that fits better.  Molding can be tricky!

• Like 1

I have two high end shock doctor mouth guards I ordered from amazon.  I sprung for the higher end ones still boil and fit.  I went through 3 fitting rounds on each to get a good fit.  They are wonderful.  Even took them to my dentist for a check and he approved. 

• Like 1

Do you prefer singles or doubles?

I've never tried a double.  I have singles by default.  I don't think anyone at my gym had doubles.  Never really thought about it.

I've always used cheap boil & bite singles, but the first time I used a Shock Doctor STC double mouthguard, I never went with anything else. I don't know why they discontinued selling those.  I tried the Nano double, and it molded really well with my teeth the first time, but I didn't like how the external plastic was digging into my gums. I actually tapped-out because of it from an immature face-crush triangle.

I've ordered the SISU 1.6 now as it's a bit different, but didn't have a chance to use it yet.

Ones it's fitted it feels just like some sort of plastic around your teeth, but very slim and without annoying edges.

I'll see how I get on with this one, otherwise I'll go and try a Shock Doctor again.

Thanks for all the replies.

I've had good luck with Shock Doctor.  I've seen youth & womens sizes - maybe that would work?

Thanks, I'll try to find one of them if my current ones fails. I don't quite had the opportunity to test my current one just yet.