Today is a rest day. I forgot to weigh myself  this morning, so I'll have to re-enter yesterday's number. I woke up somewhat sore and it got worse as the day went on. Inhaling deeply has my upper back and chest hurt while my lower back is one sore spot. My hip flexors and hamstrings and especially my forearms feel pretty bad. Lats, bi and triceps only hurt a little, so know where to push for more next time. I just hope that this isn't going to increase tomorrow or I'll have to call my mom to do laundry for me, haha. I feel good though. Went for a little 40 minute walk, ate well and I'll go to bed early. I'm eager to train again, but I'll also see that I'm properly recovered before I do.

Weight: ?

Calories: 2595
Estimated Surplus: ~500

How about a glass of purgatory with a splash of heaven?

3rd rest day in a row + horrible financial news + even more horrible financial news = mass frustration. I ended up overeating and then realized that it's mostly my upper body that is sore and so I went for a run. It wasn't pretty, but it certainly beat sitting on my ass and being miserable.

Workout for today:

4.2m run

Weight: 132.7

Calories: 3470
Estimated Surplus: ~700

My weight has been trending down for a few days now so I'm hardly concerned about a 700cal surplus. I just hope I've had enough recovery time and will be able to work out tomorrow. Not being able to is driving me crazy.

You'll find that the DOMS gets easier after each gym session.  3-4 days isn't unheard of when first lifting weights, but after the next few session it should drop back down to what you're used to from bodyweight exercises (48 hours, usually).  Sorry you had bad news, good job getting in a little run to release some dopamine and feel a little better about overeating.

"Take arrows in your forehead, but never in your back" - Samurai Maxim

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4

Battle Log

Hinge HabitsBe Like WaterFailure Should Be WelcomedArchitect Your EnvironmentSet Goals For Processes Not Desires, Minimum Effective Dose 101 

Yeah no, I'm obviously not having DOMS for the first time so I'm aware of all that. Doesn't make it less frustrating though, rather more, because I full well knew and know that I'll feel the first session for 4+ days and can't do a damn thing about it.

I'm really struggling today as far as general motivation and well, life goes. And I should be studying for an important exam tomorrow. Guess the best takeway is that it likely can only go up from here.

Sorry, man.  Just do the smallest, littlest thing that can help you move forward again.  Something so small that you're willing to do it even when you feel like pure crap: 10 pushups or something.  Maybe the momentum will help get you out of the funk, probably not, but 10 pushups never hurt anybody.  

Or write a nice big rant for everyone to read.  Someone once told me that if you write your feelings then it cuts their intensity by half.  Not sure how I feel about it, but I definitely find writing about things at least lets me view it in the correct light.  You could even write it up in all its shitty glory with full emotion, and then tear it into shreds in the toilet and take a nice, big symbolic crap on it (yea... I might be revealing too many details of how I deal with things.  Time for me to stop advising.)

Battle Log

Hinge HabitsBe Like WaterFailure Should Be WelcomedArchitect Your EnvironmentSet Goals For Processes Not Desires, Minimum Effective Dose 101 

I feel like I'm writing and rambling too much as it is. I put on one of my favourite songs of all time, set it on repeat and took a 30 minute hot shower:

I feel a bit better. Thanks for trying to help EC, appreciate it.

• Like 1

If you know me, you know how much I dread resting 4 days in a row (from strength training, runs don't count when bulking eh), that's why today was really difficult. I was constantly changing my mind when and whether I should train or not. I still felt sore in a bunch of spots, but not sore enough so that I wouldn't train (usually). But I argued that I wanted to be 100% for my first real barbell workout, especially since I'll be trying to find out (approximate to) my working weights. I also just felt off today for like a dozen reasons and eventually (very late) decided not to go after all and rather train when I feel right, tomorrow. Since I anticipated a workout, food is a tad on the high side, but still okay, especially giving my weight.

Weight: 132.5

Calories: 2826

Estimated Surplus: ~550

There seems to be going on a lot of metabolic upregulation, as that's the only explanation I've got for why I'm dropping weight despite bulking. I corrected my TDEE (without TEA) up from 1875 to 1925 and will be a bit more generous when estimating exercise calories. I'm likely also burning quite a bit more through TEF giving all the stuff I'm eating. I had some pretty salty and carby food today so I wouldn't be surprised to see a spike tomorrow and then the day after that once I've done my full body workout and filled glygocen stores afterwards. I'm not too concerned since I'm not training super regularly yet, (i. E. 3.5 times/week), likely getting a ton of adaptions to barbell work first and I'm also not in a hurry anyway. Just trying to do everything right.

That was a great guitar solo in the song you posted.  It was awesome background music.  

Yea, make sure you're fresh when you go to lift next so you can find a good starting weight.  That's a really good sign you're still pretty sore though.  It means you truly triggered some muscle involvement and your form must have been pretty damn good.  It's easy to not have mind-muscle connection in the beginning, but I don't foresee you having that issue.  Usually someone is feeling good again 48 hours later (due to incorrect form and not exhausting the muscle) and then they increase weight.  It keeps going until they injure themselves.  It definitely seems like you are heading down the right path.

Have you chosen a lifting program to follow, e.g. Starting Strength/Stronglifts/something else?

Battle Log

"Fucking shit fuck fuck fuck. Fuck!"  Me, today.

Being pretty well rested, I was looking forward to this workout so much. That was until our boss decided that today was the one day in the year where we had to archive. Sadly, by archiving I don't refer to scanning documents, putting them into databases and what not, but carrying about 70 chock-full, ridiculously heavy folders from our export department (2nd floor) to the basement, to the very end of the archiving room. Roundabout 250m in total including 4 fire security doors that are also heavy as fuck and have to be closed at all times and down 3 flights of stairs. This properly fucked up my forearms, shoulders and back and they're still hurting.

Alas, I was not to be deterred so I went to the gym anyway. In the locker, I eventually discovered that I forgot to bring any pants so I just had my boxers and jeans. Arriving back home after having suffered through disgustingly full public transport both ways I conceded and accepted that I'm just not going to work out today..again. I might not even tomorrow, depending on whether I'll be sore from this crap and how much, but really..my willpower has arrived at zero. I debated forcing a nap and going to the gym around 9 pm, but I doubted that would go too well.

So yeah, life, huh.

@EC There's an amazing German Facebook group about strength training that works entirely scientific and has a great plan for beginners which I took some parts from and combined with what I've been doing already. You'll see when I post my first workout recap...That is if I ever get to it.

Weight: 134.5

Calories: ?
Estimated Surplus: ~?

A colleague made yeast dumplings with mountain cranberry filling and vanilla sauce today at work for a few of us, so I'm both at a loss regarding my calorie intake as well as ouput, but carrying heavy shit for over an hour should account for something. Good on the salt yesterday, having my weight spike 2lbs, but I don't think I need to be worried. The issue isn't diet right now, but finally getting regular workouts in.

It's ok.  Wake up and it's a whole new day and a whole new opportunity.

I just found out about 5-Minute Journals today and am going to start integrating it every morning/night.  Since I haven't done it yet I can't speak to its effectiveness but it seems like something you might be into as well (as well as I know your Internet persona that is).  Basically every morning you write 3 things you're grateful for, 3 things that could make today great, and daily affirmations (how you want to see yourself, for instance, I might write something like "I'm lean, muscular, and I always meets my daily calorie goals.").  Then each night you write 3 amazing things that happened today, and what could have made today better.

The theory states that it activates your Reticular Activation System and it starts subconsciously changing you, your perspective, and helps you reach your goals.  Anyway, may be worth a shot, it's just 5 minutes (that's what I'm telling myself).

Battle Log

This is one hell of a week. Again, I spent most of the day torn between wanting to work out and feeling sore. My left upper body in its entirety didn't feel 100% and I also have an important exam tomorrow morning. On the other hand, I wanted and needed to work out very badly. In the end I took a 90 minute nap after work, studied a bit and then went to the gym. My very first exercise (HeSPUs) I felt a pretty strong pain in my left upper trap and my left posterior deltoid. I tried for a 2nd set, but this was not working. I almost expected the workout to be over, but I powered through regardless and boy am I happy that I did:

Workout for today:

HeSPUs: 1x6, 1x4

Squats: 1x15 Bodyweight, 2x6 Bar (20Kg/44lbs), 1x6 (30Kg/66lbs), 1x6 (35Kg/77lbs), 1x6 (40Kg/88lbs), 1x6 (45Kg/99lbs), 1x6 (50Kg/110lbs), [forgot one increment because I'm too stupid to use plates], 1x6 (60Kg/132lbs)

So I squatted bodyweight during my first workout, not too bad. It was quite heavy though, so I will start with 50Kg as my working weight. I love squats, they make me feel all kinds of awesome.

Deadlifts: 2x6 Bar, basically Romanian Deadlifts (20Kg/44lbs), 1x6 (40Kg/88lbs), 1x4* (60Kg/132lbs)

This was a struggle. The plates in this gym are smaller so I needed to use something to prop them up (used 2 very large plates that were there for this exact purpose), but that made this a very shaky, unstable situation. The 88lbs, which is what I used for my dumbbell deadlifts, were very easy, but my form went to hell during the 132lbs ones both due to the shakiness as well as simply being weak and I feel them in my back now. I don't know a solution for this yet, but I'm likely going to slowly progress with RDLs until I'm strong enough to go elsewhere with the exercise.

Pull-Ups: 1x8 Bodyweight, 2x6+1x4 (+6Kg/13.2lbs)

I still need to get used to this belt/extra weight stuff and how to stop it from giving me momentum/swinging, but this felt quite good.

Dips: 2x10

Delt and back were already worn out at this point so I didn't bother with added weight.

Triceps-Extensions (Rope) (10Kg/22lbs): 1x15, 1x10

Dumbbell-Curls (8Kg/17.6lbs): 1x13, 1x10

Overall this was pretty decent, especially considering all the circumstances. I arrived back home at 11:40 pm and went back to studying. I really need this weekend.

Weight: 136.7lbs
Calories: ~3315
Estimated Surplus ~400

Thanks to working out and a lot of other activities, I could eat a lot today, including free cake at work. Weight is whatever, I won't pay much attention to it until I'm in a proper, regular exercise schedule again.
  • Like 1

Today is a well deserved rest day. I ended up studying until 3:30 at night and got up a mere 3 hours later, aced the exam, went to work and now I'm home.

I woke up ravenous and I haven't stopped being hungry until about right now. I ate waffles and some bread for breakfast, I had a huge 500g fruit quark with apples and cherries, later on half a bag of chips, and just now I had almost a pound of broccoli sautéed in butter with sesame seeds and cumin that finally has me feeling properly full. I missed a bag of gummy cola in there as well. Let's just say, spiking up to 140lbs tomorrow wouldn't surprise me one bit.

Weight: 134.0lbs

Calories: ~?

Estimated Surplus ~?

Today is another rest day. It's starting to get on my nerves how often I have to write that first sentence. Two weeks into this bulk I've barely worked out which really is not how I planned for things to go. Two bodyweight workouts, one upper, one lower as well as 2 days ago in the gym and - if you can even count that - my first day in the gym where I basically did nothing but learning movements. If I don't want to end up fatter without any appreciable amount of muscle gained, I need to start working out more consistently. That being said, I'm at the high point of soreness right now, two days after my last workout, so I really don't know what else to do other than to wait until I feel able to work out again and just hope, that I soon will be accustomed to this and able to work out every 2nd day. At least I got 12 hours of quality sleep last night and intend for this night to go similarly.

Weight: 134.5lbs
Calories: ~2687
Estimated Surplus ~500

I donated blood today. Considering this, the fact that I could barely exercise these last two weeks and all the other shit that's been going on, I feel that I'm doing quite well in the diet department. So far, I screwed up and went over on 4 out of 14 days, which certainly beats the 50% failure rate of the last bulk and I'm confident that this will only get better once I get back into a proper routine.

If you're sore you're still in muscle gaining territory. It's not how often/long you're in the gym, it's whether you're tearing down your muscles and providing enough calories to rebuild them. You're good on both points. Minimum effective dose is what's important, and you're definitely good. That being said, I understand you miss the routine and stress relief provided.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Battle Log

Given that soreness and muscle building aren't necessarily related, I'm afraid that what you're saying is probably overly optmistic/wishful thinking. I'm likely gaining mostly adaptions and fat right now with the odd bit of muscle here and there, at least as far as all the new exercises are concerned. But yes, I'm certainly missing other aspects as well. Given that diet to me is linked to exercise three-fold in allowing me to eat more, tending to blunt hunger and giving me further motivation to stick to dietary goals, I'm having to use a lot of willpower every day just on not screwing it up and I really have enough on my plate as it is right now.

You're also right in that I'm pretty much doing all that I need/can so yeah, I'll try to relax and not worry so much.

Yea but technically those adaptations will last at least six months, so... Stay positive and keep cortisol down. High cortisol screws everything up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Battle Log

Today is a rest day. I'm fairly optimistic that I'll be able to go to the gym tomorrow.

As far as deadlifts go and how I'll proceed with them, after watching this video, sticking to RDLs the way I intended to seems to be pretty much ideal:

Now I just need to get that hamstring flexibility from yoga back. I'd start doing it right now, but I'm afraid (or rather know that) it will have me sore in a bunch of new/different places for a few days (especially the obliques, hip flexors and outer glutes)  and I just can't have that right now. I'll still do light mobility work for my hamstrings, glutes and hips now, just not as gung-ho as full yoga sessions would be.

Weight: 133.8lbs

Calories: ~2688

Estimated Surplus ~550

I had a ton of salty food today so weight will spike accordingly tomorrow. Other than that, this was a decent day.

Workout for today, warm-up sets not included:

HeSPUs: /

Squats (50Kg/110lbs): 3x6 (these felt heavier than they should)

Romanian Deadlifts (45Kg/99lbs): 2x6 (+ a lot of warmup sets and inching my way up there) 

Bench-Press: 2x6 (30Kg/66lbs), 1x6 (35Kg/77lbs), (30Kg is more than enough until my form ceases being absolutely horrible)

Pull-Ups: 1x10, 2x8+ Bodyweight (did some screwing around with the cable row machine beforehand which was stupid. I also weigh a good bit more and had to figure out which of the many bars is ideal to do pull-ups with. I also lack a ton of grip strength without gloves which I also felt during the deadlifts)

Face-Pulls (3.25Kg/:7.15lbs): 2x20, 1x15 (once I've figured out how to do these so my elbows don't hurt a ton they'll be 100% awesome. love the feel)

Triceps-Extensions (Rope, both arms) (10Kg/22lbs): 2x15

Dumbbell-Curls (8Kg/17.6lbs): 1x15, 1x12

As intended, I skipped HeSPUs due to what happened last workout and will reintroduce them next time. This wasn't quite a normal workout yet since I still had to figure out a lot of things, but that should be taken care of now. The idea is to progress in the appropriate increments whenever I can do the current weight with good form and reach the maximum amount of reps (6 for the big 3, 10-20 for Face-Pulls, 8-15 for the other two isolation exercises, 6-12 for Pull-Ups). In case of the squats, I will again go with 50Kg next workout because form during a few reps sucked, especially towards the end. In the case of the isolation exercises, I will always increase by the lowest amount possible (for the others I'll go with 2.5Kg increments) and all three qualify with today's workout. Since I just figured out my working weight for RDLs, I will also go with 45Kg again and bench, as stated, 30Kg.

I was still sore in some spots, especially my left hamstring which also contributed to some of the issues during the squats. I'm torn between trying to force a 3 day/week schedule asap and properly resting so I can go into a workout not being sore. Let's see how I feel tomorrow. My left knee hurts all over the place, one reason being that I overstretched it last week when doing mobility work and the other that I hit it hard on a heavy table at work today, so I hope it has nothing to do with squatting. 

Oh yeah, I also finalized my contract with the gym so it's official. Never thought I would, but that's true of a lot of things I did these last couple of years.

Weight: 136.5lbs
Calories: ~3623
Estimated Surplus ~500

Weight spiked as predicted. Looking good otherwise. A lot of walking around today.
  • Like 1

I've already read it when I saw the final paragraph in EE's signature a while ago, but it's something you can't read often enough so thanks for bringing it back up again.

Right now I'm sort of depressed because my left elbow hurts a lot ever since my 2nd set of Face-Pulls and I don't know whether it's from that or all the isolation arm-exercises in general or the benching or whatever. It's that exact movement though, when I do a Face-Pull with neutral grip and about 80% of the way to the double biceps-pose, I have a really sharp pain on the outside of my elbow.

And that's just one of the spots. My left upper quad starting hurting/sort of cramping out of nowhere today when I was grocery shopping and I could barely walk home. My knee is a mess still and I'm not even talking about actual soreness, which I've got plenty of (and nothing against) in my back, lats, hamstrings, pecs and shoulders.

I do know that I haven't done much to help with recovery by sleeping 5 hours last night and 4 hours the night before and certainly intend to do better in this regard, but it's disheartening nonetheless and I'm determined to adapt and fight through this.

Yea you're doing a lot of arm movements in the gym, it could very well cause some tendinitis in your elbow.  Not real sure about your knee, though I'd feel pretty comfortable agreeing with your form theory and low rest.  I don't have much helpful advice though, I'm obviously pretty darn minimalist in my own workouts.

Battle Log

Rest day.

I went to bed at 9.15 pm yesterday and slept for 9 full hours. My elbow feels worse, nothing else has improved and 2nd day soreness is killing my anterior delts and hamstrings. The prospect of working out today (like I would in a full body 3-workouts/week style) is absolutely ludicrous. It's sort of stupid how I'm training full body, but DOMS makes it so I can't effectively work out more often than once every 4-6 days which would actually make a 2-day split more useful. Then again, I'd have more volume and thus even more soreness with that so maybe not. Either way, this is very much taking its toll on my motivation and makes sticking to my diet harder and harder.

Guess I can only go to bed early and get as much sleep as possible again.

Weight: 136.0lbs
Calories: ~3033
Estimated Surplus ~750

I got home from work with about 1300 calories to spare, but hurting everywhere and being in an overall shitty mood resulted in devouring a huge ass tuna salad and a full bag of chips. At least I ate some greens and protein instead of just gorging on candy. That's about as good as it was going to get today.