Yea pushing out of the hole of a squat is already very difficult and I can imagine with pistols all the more so because of needing to balance yourself at the same time.  I could see any wobbling due to lack of balance as causing some serious strain on the knee (not saying that's the issue).

"Take arrows in your forehead, but never in your back" - Samurai Maxim

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4

Battle Log

Hinge HabitsBe Like WaterFailure Should Be WelcomedArchitect Your EnvironmentSet Goals For Processes Not Desires, Minimum Effective Dose 101 

Workout for today:

Headstand Push-Ups: 11, 11, 10

Incline OAPs (7in below hip): 6, 6

Archer Push-Ups: 4

DB Shrugs (88lbs):  18, 18, 18

DB Curls (27.5lbs): 6, 6, 6

.6 mile run

Pull-Ups, chest to bar (false grip): 8, 7, 7, 6

Bodyweight Dips: 12, 12

.6 mile walk

Doing handstand practice yesterday left me not quite at a 100% for today's workout, especially my left delts were complaining, but I tried as best I could. I saw a video of someone doing OAP progressions and one of them were archer push-ups, but not with a bench or books or something rigid like that, but with a basketball. I was intrigued and also remembered back when I tried them the last time with my french dictionary for elevation (best use I've ever gotten out of that thing btw) and totally failed. Well, this ruled for various reasons. One: It doesn't strain my elbow as much as the incline OAPs do (shitty angle there). Two: It's basically like doing OAPs already, just with a little support. Three: I managed to get 4 difficult but good reps in per side, which is the ideal point to progress from. I love experimenting and things just "clicking".

I cut the workout a bit short as I just felt empty at a certain point. When I got home, I immediately inhaled a large bowl of cereal so I guess that's my body telling me that I should probably have my first refeed soon in order to replenish glycogen stores.

Weight: 135.8lbs
Calories: 1764
Estimated Deficit: ~900

Day 6 of the cut and things are going well. If my previous calculations of ~3.5lbs muslce gained are correct, at around 132lbs (128.1+3.5+some to spare), I should pass the "leanest ever" threshold again. I realize that I won't lose at this clip for much longer, but it's still nice to feel pretty close to that point already, despite having barely finished the first week of the cut.

One thing I'm wondering: How do I do my refeed with this upper/lower split? Do I do a full body workout on that day to properly deplete all the muscles or just do whatever's on schedule and refeed with less cal/carbs than usual?

How about a glass of purgatory with a splash of heaven?

Yea pushing out of the hole of a squat is already very difficult and I can imagine with pistols all the more so because of needing to balance yourself at the same time. I could see any wobbling due to lack of balance as causing some serious strain on the knee (not saying that's the issue).

I'll say it, that most likely is the issue with your knee, Disil. Wobbling around in the hole can cook the knee fast. Every once in a while I'm reminded of that.

I find throwing some single leg RDLs into my warmup helps a lot, kind of wakes up the muscles that keep my knee stable and balanced on one leg (glute med, vastus lateralis, ankles). Just something to try in case it turns out to help.

Cowardly Assassin
Training Log | Challenges: Current8th, 7th, 6th, 5th, 4th, 3rd, 2nd, 1st

I would personally re-feed on whichever workout is the most difficult, or on whichever workout contains the muscles you'd prefer to improve more.  For instance, I always re-fed on my squats day because that is the most strenuous and my weakest lift.  I would keep calorie amount the same, as Paul said all of your glycogen will be gone anyway on such a steep cut.

Battle Log

Hinge HabitsBe Like WaterFailure Should Be WelcomedArchitect Your EnvironmentSet Goals For Processes Not Desires, Minimum Effective Dose 101 

Workout for today:

4.2m run in 46:32

Second day soreness from leg day is brutal. So I told myself that LISS is supposed to be good when you're sore and about 5 minutes into this run, the pain became pretty tolerable. I took it quite slow and am glad that I didn't over do it. I really need to learn to not go balls to the wall all the time, because while that's fun and helping in the short term, it sucks when I sit there with a hurting achilles tendon or whatever and can't finish what I start. Which is also why tomorrow will be a rest day, even though I feel like I could/should walk 8-10 miles to get in a higher deficit. I might take a shorter, relaxing walk, but that'll be it.

Weight: 135.9lbs

Calories: 1233

Estimated Deficit: ~1300

✔

Today is a rest day. How in the blue hell did I think it was a good idea to get back to weighted split squats after having not done them in forever and while being on a cut? 3 days later I can still barely move around and this basically ruined most of my weekend because I feel like not moving at all and even woke myself up twice thanks to my sore right hamstring. I still went for a short 1 hour walk, but it was really exhausting and painful.

Weight: 135.9lbs
Calories: 1225
Estimated Deficit: ~1000

The same weight 3 days in a row and I'm not quite sure why. Probably stomach content and the usual fluctuations. Patience. Trust the process.

Weight stall could be a lot of things, all of them temporary. You said the solution yourself. Gotta think in terms of weeks and trends at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Battle Log

Workout for today:

Headstand Push-Ups*: 7, 5, 5, 5

Archer Push-Ups: 5, 4, 4

DB Shrugs (88lbs):  20, 18, 18

.6 mile run

Pull-Ups, chest to bar (false grip): 8, 6, 6, 6

Bodyweight Dips: 12, 12, 12

Inverted Rows: 16

.6 mile walk

I knew I needed to do this eventually so picking a workout where I weighed as little as 136.9lbs beforehand seemed about ideal. I finally did my HeSPUs with my back to the wall. Might not sound like much, but it's a lot more difficult, especially since I automatically had my hands a lot closer than usual (which means I also didn't get as much depth as usual). So wherever I was at before, I'm starting to track and count them anew, can't wait to kill these. As a bonus, they also train balance much more and let me kick up instead of backwards crab walking the wall like an idiot.

The archer push-ups completely fried my arms. I just wanted too much too soon and it sort of hurt the remainder of the workout. It still was freaking awesome though.

Calories: 1333
Estimated Deficit: ~1400
Cut Deficit Total: ~10650

4 days in a row the same weight now, but I weighed myself more than 3 hours earlier and after a lot less sleep than these last days. Plus, I sorta confirmed that the main culprit was stomach content (I'll spare you the details :tongue:), so I'll definitely be lower tomorrow. I also decided to include the total deficit of the cut each day. I do anyway in my workout/food sheet and it's fun to see the number grow and what it represents (down roughly 3lbs of fat now).

Oh btw, the new Audiomachine album is quite great:

Workout for today:

DB Deadlifts (88lbs): 10, 10, 10, 10

Single-Leg Box-Squats (3.5in below knee): 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6

DB Calf Raises (+88lbs): 16, 16, 16, 16

Good workout. Believe it or not my hamstring was still sore which, combined with yesteday's workout lingering in my bones, made this quite tough. My lower traps (rhomboids too maybe?) are sore as hell and they never are. Guess doing those HeSPUs with less of a wide stance and back to wall was indeed a really good idea.

Weight: 135.1lbs (as predicted, dropped 0.7lb)

Refeed:

Carbs: 655
Protein: 200
Fat: 24,5
Calories: ~3808
Surplus: ~1100

I'm at roughly 3lbs of fat lost which, given approx. 3.5lbs fat gained since my last cut, should put me right about the same leanness as then and the mirror confirms this. That's awesome news, 10 days into this cut and I can't wait to uncover more in the upcoming days. Being about as lean as I was at 128lbs while weighing 7lbs more definitely gives me a really good feeling.

Oh yeah, the refeed was absolutely terrific as well. Maybe a little on the high side, but I had an exhausting day and worked my ass off these last two workouts so things should be fine. I just dread the next two days as I might not be able to train on either day.

I'm at roughly 3lbs of fat lost which, given approx. 3.5lbs fat gained since my last cut, should put me right about the same leanness as then and the mirror confirms this. That's awesome news, 10 days into this cut and I can't wait to uncover more in the upcoming days. Being about as lean as I was at 128lbs while weighing 7lbs more definitely gives me a really good feeling.

Oh yeah, the refeed was absolutely terrific as well. Maybe a little on the high side, but I had an exhausting day and worked my ass off these last two workouts so things should be fine. I just dread the next two days as I might not be able to train on either day.

You should be fine with that as a refeed.  I've seen 4-6g of carbs recommend per lb. of bodyweight and at 135.1 that puts you with a ratio of 4.9-ish.  Just about right in the middle.  Of course that all depends on how your body handles the carb surplus but you've not really had any issues in the past.  Plus your fat was nice and low.  Thumbs up in my book.

Battle Log

5.28m run in 53:50

I felt great. Awesome run.

Weight: 137.3lbs
Calories: 1156
Estimated Deficit: ~1600
Cut Deficit Total: ~12250

Thanks to the refeed I'm just not hungry whatsoever today and have to remind myself that I need to eat. Calories are amazing and put me at ~3.5lbs of fat lost, i. E. back at roughly where I was at the end of the last cut.

Today is a rest day. I almost trained lower body today, but I just have to force myself not to. My shoulders are extremely sore and I simply need to not do anything today even though that means no "feelgood" vibe afterwards, less of a deficit and eating less food. Insert all those marathon not a sprint platitudes.

Weight: 136.0lbs
Calories: 1228
Estimated Deficit: ~900
Cut Deficit Total: ~13200

✔

Workout for today:

DB Deadlifts (88lbs): 10, 10, 10, 10

Single-Leg Box-Squats (3.5in below knee): 6, 6, 6, 6, 5, 4

DB Calf Raises (+88lbs): 16, 16, 12

Maybe it's because it's Friday after a long and exhausting week, maybe it's because I'm not fully recovered from the last lower body workout 3 days ago or maybe it's just the cut taking its toll, but I felt flat during this workout and everything took some additional effort to get through.

My left shoulder is still very sore and today is the first day since Monday that I can lift my arm higher than shoulder height. I'm such a fucking moron, overdoing it like this and now I pay the price by basically having to pause upper body work for like a week. While cutting. Great. I hope I can resume upper body training on Sunday so I don't have to rest again - tomorrow I'll go for a run, that's for sure.

Calories: 1552 2203
Estimated Deficit: ~1050 ~400
Cut Deficit Total: ~13550

The scale is the usual drag in the first 3-4 days after refeeding. I would refeed less frequently so I get a bigger window of "hey, a new low, yay!", but I just don't feel it's wise to space them out farther.

Just made plans for tonight, which means I'll probably have a couple of beers and some wine. I considered not to in order to be strict with the cut, but what's the point? I'll have some much needed mental rest and relaxation, I get to socialize and as long as I don't eat any unnecessary food in addition to the alcohol (which I won't), I'll likely end the day in a moderate deficit still.

Edit: Ended up drinking beer and wine worth about 650cal. Turns out, drinking while cutting is super effective as I was very drunk very quickly. Let's call that efficiency, haha. I only ate a grand total of 3 pistachios and didn't touch the chips or the chocolate covered raisins and I'm quite happy I managed to stick to my plans so this was a good day in my book, even if it's only about a 400cal deficit for the day.

5.28m run in 54:39

Felt surprisingly good despite still being somewhat hungover.

Weight: 133.8lbs

Calories: 1907

Estimated Deficit: ~800

Cut Deficit Total: ~14350

Weight obviously is due to dehydration and sleeping in, but it was still nice to see. I almost slipped badly today, but managed to catch myself halfway and go for a run after all despite feeling like trash the first half of the day. I failed to do my usual anti-hangover ritual yesterday which consists of 2 glasses of water and an ibuprofen before going to sleep, so I guess this was to be expected. On the plus side, the not so insane deficit might help my shoulder recover a bit quicker. It felt better today, but I still have my doubts whether it'll be up for a workout tomorrow.

For once I'd really like to finish a cut and not have to end it prematurely because of injury so I really have to restrain myself better during workouts. I mean it makes even less sense to go all out when you're not building muslce anyway, because you're in a deficit, so for fuck's sake get it together dude. And yes I'm talking to myself.

• Like 1

Workout for today:

Headstand Push-Ups: 8, 7, 6, 6

Archer Push-Ups: 5, 4, 4

DB Shrugs (88lbs):  20, 20, 18

.6 mile run

Pull-Ups, chest to bar (false grip): 7, 6, 6, 6

Bodyweight Dips: 3

Inverted Rows: 13

.6 mile run

I'm happy my shoulder held up, but I really need to get a handle on the archer push-ups. My right tricep was absolute toast after the 2nd set and it severely hindered the rest of the workout, even the pulling exercises. It was also raining and I felt tired so the park workout part was pretty horrible. I think I either need to stop extending the non-pushing arm so much during the archer push-ups or I need to do them without elevation (basketball or whatever) for now. Maybe I should just go back to side-to-sides until I'm back to bulking. The HeSPUs went quite well though and right now my shoulders feel fine..let's hope they don't get too sore the next days.

Calories: 1526
Estimated Deficit: ~1000
Cut Deficit Total: ~15350

Things have been going a lot more slowly this 2nd week for various reasons and tomorrow's refeed (scheduled around my leg workout as well as the UFC show and Summer Slam) won't make the lacking deficit any bigger, so it's all the more important that I own the days after.

Workout for today:

DB Deadlifts (88lbs): 9, 9, 8

Single-Leg Box-Squats (3.5in below knee): 6, 6, 6, 5, 5, 5

DB Calf Raises (+88lbs): 16, 16, 16

I definitely need to either lower volume, frequency or both if I want to stop this cut from ending prematurely. Giving my lower body 2 days of rest (if you count a 5.3m run as "rest") just doesn't seem to cut it right now and if it weren't for the refeed I'd have postponed the workout a day. Work right now is extremely stressful with about the busiest week to date, but I just can't justify having a 1 week diet break after such a mediocre weekend and this close to school starting. I'd really like to drop another ~3lbs of fat during those 13 days. I need that confidence. Training, resting and working smart will be crucial to achieve that.

Weight: 135.8

Refeed:

Carbs: 618
Protein: 144
Fat: 29.2
Calories: 3437
Surplus: 900

Refeed felt very good. I'm at roughly 4.25lbs of fat lost, 16 days in. This would be great, but considering I was at 3+lbs 6 days ago it's just "okay". Time to step it up again.

Today is a rest day. This shoulder thing is weird. Clearly it's just severe soreness, but I really don't feel anything during or immediately after the workout, even a day later. Now I know that 2nd day soreness typically is the worst, but this is still quite weird, given how I felt absolutely nothing the evening of. Guess that means I need to take it a lot slower for the new HeSPUs even if it feels like I don't. The main objectives right now are still: Get enough sleep and don't eat too much, both of which are looking good so far.

Weight: 138.0lbs
Calories: 1270
Estimated Deficit: ~800 ~1100
Cut Deficit Total: ~16150 ~16450

+2.2lbs from the refeed which is more than okay. Deficit today is good for a rest day. Let's keep this up.

Edit: I decided to go for a walk, listen to some podcasts, enjoy the pleasant, mild weather and the fresh air in the forest nearby. This felt great and helped me increase my deficit by another 300 or so calories as I ended up walking about 4.5 miles.

• Like 1

Yeah, these good-form HeSPUs are tougher on my shoulders than I thought they'd be, too. I'm trying to make sure my shoulders are elevated as I press up, but my body really does not want my triceps put under that much stress.

Maybe I need to actually start doing that dumb skullcrusher exercise...

• Like 1

Cowardly Assassin
Training Log | Challenges: Current8th, 7th, 6th, 5th, 4th, 3rd, 2nd, 1st