I cannot squat

My physical condition or whatever it is does not presently afford me the range of motion to get my butt down far enough to perform a proper squat.

If I keep squatting as for as I can, will I achieve that extra range of motion? Is there something I can do that will help me achieve the range of motion?

Must find solution. Failure is not an option! I'm fine with wiping on the fight a dozen times but in the end the boss mob must drop.

Thanks in advance folks,

Dil

Hey. I've got a blog!! ----> The Dilnad Can!

This is how I did it. This is how you too can do it! ----> http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2015/09/28/learn-how-an-office-worker-lost-100-lbs-saved-his-own-life-and-became-a-superhero/

Hi! Hip mobility drills will help! Use these to get started working on your mobility and before you know it, you'll drop it like a squat. 

Hey, thanks Danica. That's some good info there and I'll begin working on those. Fortunately, I already know how to get my Spiderman on from the basic warmup video. Looks like a few more available options without having to shell out more greenbacks. Based on reading that and looking at the Goblet Squat Hold, I'm going to assume that continiung my pseudo squats ( sounds better than half assed LOL ) would also assist in helping me increase flexibility there and the day after indicates to me that my quads are indeed getting worked at least some, else someone comes into my bed the night after I work out, rubs my upper legs with alcohol, and sets them afire as I wake up the following morning. ( not discounting this possibility. I've seen stranger things crawl out of cream cheese )

This is how I did it. This is how you too can do it! ----> http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2015/09/28/learn-how-an-office-worker-lost-100-lbs-saved-his-own-life-and-became-a-superhero/

Based on reading that and looking at the Goblet Squat Hold, I'm going to assume that continiung my pseudo squats ( sounds better than half assed LOL ) would also assist in helping me increase flexibility there and the day after indicates to me that my quads are indeed getting worked at least some, else someone comes into my bed the night after I work out, rubs my upper legs with alcohol, and sets them afire as I wake up the following morning. ( not discounting this possibility. I've seen stranger things crawl out of cream cheese )

LOL Yes, your pseudo squats WILL help! If your legs feel like they're on fire, I highly recommend getting a foam roller to roll sore muscles out, as well. Amazon has some that are cheap. It takes a little time, but you CAN get more mobility...just try to push a little lower each day. Even just some sumo squat stretches each morning will help. :)

danica

Level 3 Warrior Assassin 

See my instagram for photos of my training and also my Sphynx cats.

I log my daily programming at my battle log.

Challenges: Current - Warrior 2 - Warrior 1

They really don't feel like they are on fire. Just sounded a lot more colorful than to say I have the standard next day soreness that happens. Granted, the first time was a 4 day soreness. not so sore that it prevented anything important though. I was still able to ride the motorcycle.

Thanks so much for the advice. I'm actually now looking for stretches for the shoulders as I've been doing dumbell squats and just last night with a broomstick discovered I also have a challenge with getting my arms back far enough to hold a barbell for barbell squats haha.

Ah well. Took me 46 years to get this unfit. Probably take more than a week to reverse it (at least 2 ).

Film yourself and post a form check in the form check forum. You may be doing something wrong that we can fix to get your ass lower. Typically the first few things we'll check is to make sure your stance is wide enough, you're shoving your knees out far enough, and if it's simply due to shitty ankle mobility, point your toes out more as long as you can keep the knees tracking over them.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

A.  Yes, doing Squats and trying actively to get lower in each one does help eventually get you lower. 

B.  I'm a huge fan of the couch stretch as a hip opener.  I did this almost every day for a month and gained a huge amount of Range of Motion for my Squats. 

C.  Agree with Gainsdalf.  Hips are the most common reason from what I've seen for limited depth, but it can be other stuff.  I'd post up a video in the Form Check forum and we nerds will do our best to help figure out what the issue is.

A.  Yes, doing Squats and trying actively to get lower in each one does help eventually get you lower. 

B.  I'm a huge fan of the couch stretch as a hip opener.  I did this almost every day for a month and gained a huge amount of Range of Motion for my Squats. 

C.  Agree with Gainsdalf.  Hips are the most common reason from what I've seen for limited depth, but it can be other stuff.  I'd post up a video in the Form Check forum and we nerds will do our best to help figure out what the issue is.

I'm not sure I understand the couch stretch. The camera didn't really show it. That other one on the wall... forget about it LOL. Can't even get close to contorting in that position and my knee can't handle it, at least not yet. It's bookmarked as a stretch goal (pun intended)

The couch stretch (or doing the stretch on the couch) is just an easier way to do the stretch where your knee is against the wall.  When on a couch it doesn't put as much strain on your ankle, but it'll make your quad burn more.  :)  Here's a better side picture of the couch stretch. 

Kelly-Starret-Couch-Stretch-550x400_c.jp

When I first did it, I felt the stretch as soon as I put my knee on the wall.  I didn't even really have to lift my upper body up. 

The couch stretch (or doing the stretch on the couch) is just an easier way to do the stretch where your knee is against the wall.  When on a couch it doesn't put as much strain on your ankle, but it'll make your quad burn more.  :)  Here's a better side picture of the couch stretch. 

Kelly-Starret-Couch-Stretch-550x400_c.jp

When I first did it, I felt the stretch as soon as I put my knee on the wall.  I didn't even really have to lift my upper body up. 

I can't even come close to doing that(just tried). I'm really in bad shape physically. Many years of sitting on my ass. I am however trying and working out very hard. I'll keep doing the stretches I can do at this point and before to long I'll be doing those. My inability to do it in no way decreases my appreciation of your assistance though.

While we're talking about squats, I've been doing bodyweight training this month as part of my six week challenge to do 100 Push ups, I've also been doing the 200 push ups and 200 situps challenge and I've noticed an odd thing. 

When I do squats without weights my right knee, which was dislocated many years ago tearing the old ACL, makes terrible grinding noises. But when I'm in the gym squatting with the barbell it doesn't. Is that normal? And it's not that I'm going deeped without the barbell. If anything it's easier to do a deeper squat with the bar.

Follow up question...

Can I do these stretching exercises daily without impacting my recovery time between gym visits or must I do them during my cool-downs?

You can stretch every day and it may even help your recovery.  (Think about watching basketball teams warmup.  They have trainers helping them stretch everyday).

As to the grinding noise...it's 'normal' for you right now.  My guess is that there is something different about your form between body weight and with the bar.  (so post some video for us to see).  And it is 'normal' for new lifters to go through a whole series of "why does that hurt now" and "what's that feeling" questions as you progress.  It almost always is either form or mobility or form and mobility issues.   As the weights go up, you will discover new weaknesses, stiff places and bad habits.  And lots of the advice won't really make sense to you until you hit that point and then you'll say "That's what El E/Wildross/Rooks/Gainsdalf meant!"

Weclome to the warriors...

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

I wanted to hop back in here and share something my strength coach shared with me that has helped with my hip mobility in squats...He has me doing a Sots Press in the rack, but to start the press out, I actually work on squatting from various positions, moving closer toward the front of the rack where I have the bar pressed up against the front for stability as it pressed against my chest. From a squat, I do the press with the barbell running along the front of the rack. When it is overhead, I push up from the squat and then pull the barbell down to my chest and then reposition my squat closer to the barbell and feet closer together by small increments. It's REALLY forcing my body to stay upright and forcing my hips to pull even lower. I love it. I'll try to get a video to share next time I'm at the gym this weekend. 

danica

Level 3 Warrior Assassin 

See my instagram for photos of my training and also my Sphynx cats.

I log my daily programming at my battle log.

Challenges: Current - Warrior 2 - Warrior 1

Dilnad, something to keep in mind for us guys in our 40s that i haven't seen mentioned: doing our max weight capacity at our max range can be pretty dangerous. Once you get your flexibility up to the point when you can go deeper, don't do your full weight right away. It's easy do damage the tendons when they're stretched to their limit, and at our age they can take a looong time to heal. I use the leg press sled to practice going deeper, so I'm stronger in the hole on my squat. Also, I'm not convinced that getting your thighs below parallel is really all that important for full healthy functional strength and lifelong fitness. I think flexibility is important for a healthy body as we get older, but being maximally strong at the most flexible ranges has limited usefulness, with higher risk.

It's great for the people doing it, but most of us just don't need to be this guy:

(and I like what the guy says about squat depth)

• Like 1

Haven't read the linked article but from personal experience I agree v with being careful and disagree about depth. I didn't start squatting until I was 52 and my knees and ankles have never been stronger. My max competition squat is 405#

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Tally Sheet for 2019

It's great for the people doing it, but most of us just don't need to be this guy:

3 years ago I would have said the same thing.  Now I am that guy (though not quite as deep or quite as cut....).  I've done 405# (which is what he looks like he has on the bar) at least a 1/2 dozen times in the last year.  I'm aiming for 415# in about a month at Camp Nerdfitness.  Ultimate goal is 495# by the time I'm 60.

Tally Sheet for 2019

Actually this post is no longer relevant., The answer? As always, Steve's workouts LOL

I have done TONS of bodyweight squats and with some occasion goblet squat holds I just realized I am now squatting low enough. I'm also now touching my toes. Who knew people could do that.

• Like 1