[Paleo] Sweet Potato Fries recipes -- share them!

Razzy

So I've been craving these buggers ever since Outback Steakhouse got rid of them. (Shamefur dispray!) I've tried googling and there's a metric crapton of recipes for these guys but they all seem to have something off about them. Since I couldn't find a thread for them, I figure I may as well get the nerd herd to make a compilation of recipes here.

So folks, sound off. Share your favorite recipe for sweet potato fries and, most importantly, how you get them crispy!

Battle Log
Challenge Log
I made a mistake.

The best results I've had with sweet potato fries come from VERY high heat (like 450F), good olive or coconut oil, and a cast-iron skillet.  Pro tip: heat the skillet in the oven before putting in your seasoned fries.  Season the fries with oil, salt, pepper, cumin, curry powder, twist of lemming, whatever strikes your fancy.  You can add the oil to the pan first, or add it to the seasonings on the fries.  Dump on the hot iron and arrange into a single layer.  Bake the fries about 7 minutes, then turn when they're golden.  Bake for another 7 minutes or so, then check.  If they're fork-tender, they're ready. If not, keep baking until they are.  Don't use a lot of wet seasonings like honey or lemon juice, or the fries will stew instead of getting crispy (and that's just not good eats). 

They're great in the morning with fried eggs.

• Like 4

"If you get into trouble, you can always eat something, blow something up, or throw penguins." - Jim Henson

I have been trying to perfect sweet potato "chips" over the last few days so if anyone else has any other advice toss it at me!

I really don't want the crunchy chips like I have found recipes for.  I am mostly looking for thin roasted chips that may be crunchy around the edges, but can be soft on the inside. It seems no matter what I do I burn them.  Tonight I am going to try a lower temp for a bit longer and see if that does the job. 

Please share recipes and tips if ya got em!

• Like 1

Human Adventurer: Level 2

|| STR 4 || DEX 1 || STA 3 || CON 1 || WIS 3 || CHA 2 ||

Current Challenge:  #2 ||  Battle Log || Past Challenges: #1

This is how I do them personally (I've made rough estimates of the times, as I generally do it off sight).

1. Peel and cut the sweet potatoes thin- the thinner the chip, the crispier it'll get.

2. Coat in coconut oil.

3. Add paprika and shake to cover.

4. Lay out in a single layer on a baking sheet tray.

5. Cook in an oven 180ºC (356ºF) for 30 minutes

6. Turn oven heat up to 220ºC (428ºF) for 10 minutes.

7. Take out of oven, salt to taste.

If I'm feeling particularly motivated, I'll flip them once during the final ten minutes, but most of the time I've got other things going on so I won't worry. It works for me though- the coconut oil/paprika combo is fantastic!

• Like 4

"No-one tells a T-Rex when to go to sleep".

- Jim Wendler

I cut them into fries, and then steam them for 7 min.  Then I take them out and put them on a cookie sheet, preheat the oven to 450, and spray them with olive oil.  Once the oven is hot, put 'em in for 10 min, flip them, and give them another 5-10 min, and you should be golden.  

Nom nom nom.

• Like 1

Level 21 Wild Elf Ranger/Assassin

Spoiler

I'm not really sure these stats are relevant anymore...

STR: 31 DEX: 26 STA: 30  CON: 24  WIS: 30 CHA: 26

Current Challenge

The other way I make them is to cut them into little cubes (1/2"), steam them (steaming helps make them tender), and then put them in a cast iron skillet with some bacon fat, ghee, or olive oil.  Bacon fat of course is the best.  

Move them around every 5 min or so, making sure to flip them.  Keep an eye on them so they don't burn (actually, who cares... burned sweet potato home fries are delicious too).

• Like 1

Level 21 Wild Elf Ranger/Assassin

Spoiler

I'm not really sure these stats are relevant anymore...

STR: 31 DEX: 26 STA: 30  CON: 24  WIS: 30 CHA: 26

Current Challenge

Here is the one I use. From nom-nom paleo.

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/6172268400/oven-baked-sweet-potato-fries

Note: No trees were harmed in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

• Like 1

Level 8 Scottish Highland Assassin

Str 20/ Dex 10/ Sta 15/ Con 17/ Wis 20/ Cha 13

"Most of the things worth doing have been declared impossible before they were done."

Daily Battle Log

My Fitness Pal

Fitbit

Facebook

I stick them in my Actifry, 1 tsp of coconut oil, walk away, come back after 22 minutes - done! I like food I can walk away from, cooking is not my thang!

What is this magic Actifry that you speak of?

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Hi, I have been cooking potatoes and even did some salad recipes but I have not tried the sweet potato fries. I appreciate that you have mentioned it here even posted some ways and your own style of preparing potatoes of that kind. I'll be trying to do my own later. Thanks again for giving me an idea about it. I think ,the taste will be something different this time:)

• Like 1

I made some last night!  I was lazy, though, and just did slices of sweet potato.  (Thick enough to be soft on the inside, but thin enough to get crispy on the edges.  Threw them on a baking sheet, shook salt, garlic powder, and chili powder over top and baked them at 375 for 15ish minutes.  (Long enough to take a shower, shave my legs, and find some clothes.)  Turned them, seasoned the other side, and cooked another five minutes.  Delicious.  For a kitchen experiment, it was fabulous.  I'm going to have to buy more sweet potatoes!

If you want crispier baked fries soak your cut up sweet potatoes in cold water for an hour or two. It leeches out a lot of the starch that is what holds moisture in and makes baked fries soggy. Soak them, rinse them off and pat them dry with a paper towel then toss them in your seasonings. You'll get much better results.

• Like 2

<p>Level 3 Troll AssassinSTR: 5.5 DEX: 2 STA: 6.75 CON: 3 WIS: 12.75 CHA: 5.75My Battle LogThe First Official Challenge of MOBIUS!!  The SECOND Official Challenge of MOBIUS!!  http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/69290-the-return-of-mobius/  Weight Loss Goal (106 lbs of 150lbs)

70.6%
70.6%
"Watch your back, shoot straight, conserve ammo, and never, ever, cut a deal with a dragon."

Sweet potato garlic fries... amazing!

Sweet potato chipotle fries. . The bomb.com

Sweet potatos in brown sugar sauce. Very typical Mexican dessert for Christmas and so damn good!

My 2nd Challenge: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/37327-laqueen-reporting-for-duty/

My 1st Challenge: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/34724-laqueen-sized-to-fun-sized/

"Welcome! We salute your courage and your sacrifice and we wish you Happy Hunger Games!"

If you want crispier baked fries soak your cut up sweet potatoes in cold water for an hour or two. It leeches out a lot of the starch that is what holds moisture in and makes baked fries soggy. Soak them, rinse them off and pat them dry with a paper towel then toss them in your seasonings. You'll get much better results.

I think I love you. Problem: vanquished!!!

• Like 1

High Elf-Rakshasa Assassin | LVL 16 | STR: 18 | DEX: 11 | STA: 13 | CON: 6 | WIS: 18 | CHA: 19

I think I love you. Problem: vanquished!!!

Happy to help. :)

<p>Level 3 Troll AssassinSTR: 5.5 DEX: 2 STA: 6.75 CON: 3 WIS: 12.75 CHA: 5.75My Battle LogThe First Official Challenge of MOBIUS!!  The SECOND Official Challenge of MOBIUS!!  http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/69290-the-return-of-mobius/  Weight Loss Goal (106 lbs of 150lbs)

70.6%
70.6%
"Watch your back, shoot straight, conserve ammo, and never, ever, cut a deal with a dragon."

The only way to make them like a restaurant does is to deep fry and coat them with various flours. 

I created this recipe with a lot of trial and error and finally perfected it. They are crispy and delicious and some of the best sweet potato fries I've ever had.

https://desertorchidjourney.wordpress.com/2015/03/01/perfect-sweet-potato-fries/

"When I can no more stir my soul to move, and life is but the ashes of a fire; When I can but remember that my heart once used to live and love, long and aspire - O be thou then the first, the one thou art; Be thou the calling before all answering love, and in me wake hope, fear, boundless desire." - George MacDonald