Paleo Baking

Tearcon

Right first things first - if this is the wrong place to post this I apologise, just let me know what to do with it, thank you :)

Also I am not yet experienced at Paleo baking and far from it, I intend to become experienced when I return to university and have more time to bake with my girlfriend.

When I first shifted my diet to Paleo I found that there was little advice on baking Paleo (or at least I couldn't find any) I found a fair amount of recipes but little advice or resources explaining the differences between regular baking and Paleo (and there's a LOT).

So, I have gone through the internet, tried a few things out myself, researched some of the ingredients used and started to learn about it (in a very nerdy way) and decided to put together a bit of what I've learnt so far to share and try help others out. I also intend to share some recipes in the near future and maybe put together a few more resources :)

I don't claim any information as mine, I just put it together.

Hope this helps anyone, feel free to use as you want I just wanna help.

Any feedback, good or bad is HUGELY appreciated.

This is simply a list of common ingredients used in Paleo baking, I started it as a way to keep track of substitutions and also as a shopping list for university. If anyone sees any I have missed please let me know and I'll add it to the list, it would be greatly appreciated.

Basic Paleo Baking List.pdf

First off, I would suggest doing straight-forward paleo for the first couple months before getting too fancy. Just straight up whole foods - pick it, kill it, or dig it up. Plus plenty of herbs and spices and sauces that are carb-free and msg free. Especially if you're looking to lose weight. Get that down - life will be better.

Once you're there...

#1 on my hit list:

http://thecoconutmama.com/2014/01/coconut-flour-recipes/

http://www.freecoconutrecipes.com/gluten_free_coconut_flour_recipes.htm

http://www.coconutflourrecipes.org/

Here's an awesome ultra-low carb paleo recipe for crepes. We substitute them for tacos and it's awesome! (stolen from Transforming Recipes by Alex V. Navarro & Mary J. Gines - they're part of John Kiefer's Carb Nite and CBL team)

2 tablespoons coconut flour
2 tablespoons virgin coconut oil or
   butter, melted
2 eggs
1 teaspoon granulated Splenda or 2-3
   drops liquid Stevia
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup heavy cream

1 Heat small skillet over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon of
coconut oil, then melt and swirl it to coat the skillet.

2 In medium bowl, mix eggs, oil, sweetener, and salt.

3 Thoroughly mix in coconut flour, removing any lumps.

4 Add heavy cream and continue to mix well.

5 Carefully pour a quarter of the batter onto the skillet
(which should be about 5-6 inches in diameter).

6 Cook until batter is bubbly and cooked around edges.

7 Carefully flip crepe and cook other side.

8 Fill with your favorite fillings, then roll and serve.

This is super helpful!  Every paleo baking recipe I come across seems to use a different combination of "flours" and fats, and it was making my head spin!  I'm so glad to have a quick reference to use when I play around with my holiday baking this year.

Dwarven Adventurer, level 0.

"We stand upon the precipice of change. The world fears the inevitable plummet into the abyss. Watch for that moment... and when it comes, do not hesitate to leap. It is only when you fall that you learn whether you can fly." (Flemeth, Dragon Age II)

Target Weight: 200lbs | Starting Weight: 262lbs | Current Weight: 253lbs

I'm all about that bass.