• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Brittomart

Paleo breakfast ideas that are not eggs

SInce Im doing the whole IF thing my breakfast is at noon..... But before I started that I could tear up some sweet potato patties and cube steak for breakfast. Big bowl of fruit on the side or the same fruit blended up with ice and water for a slushy like drink. 

Some days I have a can of tuna, banana and almonds for breakfast. 

Have a look at Mark Sisson's Primal Blueprint quick and easy recipes book, there are some great ones in there. 

Meatballs are a good option for breakfast, or last night's leftovers! 

My alternatives, when my SO wants a change:

• Roasted Avocado in a Pan with different types of onions and garlic in butter/coconot oil.
  • Flat out bacon and a green salat with oil+vinegar dressing
  • Left Overs are glorious! I tend to store some for a couple of days to bring a change
  • Like 1

Crock pot some pot roast and some veg before you go to bed. Insta-breakfast when you get up. And the house smells awesome.

Paleo hash with sweet potato, though I strongly recommend staying away from carb in the a.m. if you're trying to lose weight. If you do make hash, use taters that have cooled overnight so a lot of the starch has returned to fiber (resistant starch). Also good for the gut.

• Like 1

Ugh, I sympathize!  I got incredibly sick of eggs within the first week, and I've been grappling with the question of "what's for breakfast?" ever since.

Every once in a while, I make paleo pancakes for breakfast.  You'll have to poke around online to find a recipe that meets your specific needs, but I use this one, although I don't add quite as much nut butter as they say to use, because I find that a full half-cup makes the batter much too thick.  (Cashew butter is a good choice, because it's thinner than almond.) 

Paleo porridge using bananas or sweet potatoes, nuts, and other fruits, is also a nice non-egg treat.  Here's a recipe to get you started in that direction.  Finally, I try to have one or two smoothie breakfasts a week, because it's an easier way for me to incorporate vegetables into my breakfast.  I make kale/spinach/carrot the first ingredient, and then add other stuff until it no longer tastes like veggies.

Smoothies are especially fun to experiment with, I think, because the only real limit on what you put in them is what tastes good to you.  Mine usually include whatever berries I have around, raw-milk yogurt (I do some dairy, because I can tolerate it, but you could use coconut or almond milk instead), and some kind of green.  I've been adding a half-tablespoon of honey lately, because kale tastes particularly bitter to me, but you might not need to, depending on what fruit you use.  A nice post-workout one, if you exercise in the morning, might include banana, nut butter, and a little bit of cocoa powder.  I have that once in a blue moon (bananas are a rare treat for me, since I'm trying to lose weight) and it's delicious.  I usually use Justin's almond butter, because I like almonds and a little of that goes a long way.

• Like 1

Crock pot some pot roast and some veg before you go to bed. Insta-breakfast when you get up. And the house smells awesome.

Paleo hash with sweet potato, though I strongly recommend staying away from carb in the a.m. if you're trying to lose weight. If you do make hash, use taters that have cooled overnight so a lot of the starch has returned to fiber (resistant starch). Also good for the gut.

New to paleo. You said cooling the tubers so they return to fiber for resistant starch. Could you expand on that? And do you then eat them cold?

Sent from my Samsung S4 using Tapatalk.

Cat,

When you cool baked potatoes a lot of the carb turns into resistant starch starch that resists digestion. This resistant starch isn't broken down like normal carbohydrate, and moves further down our digestive system and feeds our gut flora. Eating a decent amount of starch is important for having a diverse and healthy gut biome. And they're tasty with ketchup (I like heinz sugar-free). And I do eat them cold. I slice potatoes or sweet potatoes into half-moon slices and roast them. I'll save some for dinner for the next day, if I'm lifting the following day. They're pretty tasty.

• Like 1

Cat,

When you cool baked potatoes a lot of the carb turns into resistant starch starch that resists digestion. This resistant starch isn't broken down like normal carbohydrate, and moves further down our digestive system and feeds our gut flora. Eating a decent amount of starch is important for having a diverse and healthy gut biome. And they're tasty with ketchup (I like heinz sugar-free). And I do eat them cold. I slice potatoes or sweet potatoes into half-moon slices and roast them. I'll save some for dinner for the next day, if I'm lifting the following day. They're pretty tasty.

ZOMG! I did not know this. So eat my tubers cold for less carb absorbing - gotcha.

And you eat them the day you lift or the day after you lift? Didn't quite understand what you meant.

Cat,

There are a few different ways to eat carbs around working out. There are different strategies based on your goals and lifestyle. I tend to eat a cyclic very low carb diet and have lost 70 pounds so far. Usually I do carbs only on monday night, but if I've had a big week working out I'll do a small re-carb on thursday before bed so I have some glycogen stored for my friday workout.

Cat,

There are a few different ways to eat carbs around working out. There are different strategies based on your goals and lifestyle. I tend to eat a cyclic very low carb diet and have lost 70 pounds so far. Usually I do carbs only on monday night, but if I've had a big week working out I'll do a small re-carb on thursday before bed so I have some glycogen stored for my friday workout.

I'm intrigued! Okay I'm gonna do some research on this.

Ok, coming back to breakfast issue :redface-new:

I'm not 100% Paleo, but I said "bye" to bread. So far my solutions (I'm fed up with eggs as well):

1. Fried piece of meat/ bacon + fried/grilled veggies (tomatoes, onion, batata, zucchini, paprika - whatever lies in fridge)

2. Salad made of: fruits + nuts + bit of honey + bit of yogurt (you can skip yogurt, of course :) )

3. Caprese salad (fresh basilica is a must - tastes awesome). I think it would work just fine if replace mozarella with fried bacon. I usually add a hot-dog to caprese salad (but make sure the quality is nice, not hot dogs made from cardboard and crap).

4. Salted salmon + fresh veggies' salad. Buy fresh salmon (pieces), season it nicely with salt on it 2-3 tea spoons for 200 grams) and leave in fridge over night. Delicious!

5. Actually any salad you can imagine - veggies + some meat, either mammal or fish (tuna).

Unfortunately, all of the above means no more sleeping late and buying a sandwich on way to work :nightmare: . But it's worth it!

• Like 1

If you do protein powder, chia puddings are nice too. Simply mix protein powder, almond milk, chia seeds and vanilla extract and leave it in the fridge overnight- in the morning you'll have a delicious cold mushy pudding- great alternative to eggs during those warm months when you don't want to eat a hot breakfast. 

If you do protein powder, chia puddings are nice too. Simply mix protein powder, almond milk, chia seeds and vanilla extract and leave it in the fridge overnight- in the morning you'll have a delicious cold mushy pudding- great alternative to eggs during those warm months when you don't want to eat a hot breakfast. 

Is that very filling?

Tuna salad.

This

i just had this for my IF breakfast

I include

Lettuce, tomato, cucumber, beetroot, mushrooms, tuna, avocado, sometimes olives stuffed with almonds, bacon, sometimes chicken, tuna, lots of black pepper, sea salt, lots of olive oil, fresh lemon juice and feta cheese.

It makes a massive bowl and I love it. I eat variations of this, sometimes with more or less veg depending on what I've got in, like 3 times a week.

Love this thread. I can't tolerate eggs, dairy, garlic or onions (and a bunch of other FODMAP foods are highly suspect) and I'm having such a hard time with paleo because of it. I can get pretty creative with other meals, but for me breakfast without eggs is the hardest (and BTW fish at breakfast makes me gag :( )

So far I've stuck to frying up a couple slices of local turkey bacon, taking it out of the pan and then cooking sweet potato, a bell pepper, carrot and kale in a little grass-fed butter or coconut oil. Near the end I add some organic apple cider vinegar and coconut aminos for flavour, and then add the turkey bacon back in after chopping it up. It's a good filling meal. So filling in fact, that I usually pack up half and eat it later at work. It's also really easy to do if you cut up your veg the night before.

Sooooo, that's my contribution...I hope it helps!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Kim - think crock pot. Drop some veg and pot roast in the night before and instant breakfast waiting for you. I'm lucky, I like eggs and they like me, but we still do a crock pot breakfast now and again.

• Like 1