Thalianost Reporting

Hello, my name is Thalianost or Thal if you prefer.  I am a lab technician with an acute intrest in medieval reenactment, specificly combat.  Hobbies include, homebrewing, cooking, and making chainmaile.  This will be my first challange, hope I get it right: 

Main Quest:

Loose my gut and look like a superhero

3 goals:

Lift at least 3 times a week

Consume at least 200 g protein a day

Sleep a minimum or 6 hours a night (i am a new parent and my wife gets up early for work, this is the best I can promise myself right now)

Side quests:

Walk around Ren faire in full armor 2 days

Spar with reenactment group every other week

Motivation: 

My dad and my granpa were big guys and I have seen the health issues that can come from it.  Also, since I have my own kid now, I want to stay healthy and active so I can encourage good habits in her. 

*EDIT*

I finally got around to uploading my "Before" picture:

Sir Thalianost, Level 9 Human Knight (Training as a Warrior)

STR - 24.6 | DEX - 4.1 | STA - 1.7 | CON - 15.4 | WIS - 3.2 | CHA - 4.1

Those who live by the sword die by the sword... and wouldn't want it any other way.

1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th 11th 12th

Current Challenge:

Thalianost Branches Out

Quick update:  I am now halfway complete with my Ren Faire side quest.  Unfortunately, the trip to faire interfered with my eating and I came up about 40 grams short of my protein goal.  :(  Oh well, new game starts tomorrow. 

Those who live by the sword die by the sword... and wouldn't want it any other way.

Current Challenge:

Thalianost Branches Out

I managed to get 200g protein today but just barely.  I think the weekend eating will be my biggest challange, oddly enough.  During the week I can pack an appropriate lunch and plan my day a little easier. 

• Like 1

Current Challenge:

Thalianost Branches Out

Chainmaile-maker fist bump! Isn't nice to have odd hobbies? I don't think I've met many people that share it! I always get weird questions about why sending chain letters is a hobby. :numbness: Erm....No... That is not what I mean....

Congrats on the baby! They make great exercise buddies! Check out Baby Barbells if you get a chance. It is a super cute book.

Good luck!

Jessica ZUUL || Level 1 Dwarf

4 STR || 2 DEX || 2 STA || 2 CON || 3 WIS || 0 CHA

1st ChallengeCurrent Challenge | Veg of the week thread

Chainmaile-maker fist bump! Isn't nice to have odd hobbies? I don't think I've met many people that share it! I always get weird questions about why sending chain letters is a hobby. :numbness: Erm....No... That is not what I mean....

Congrats on the baby! They make great exercise buddies! Check out Baby Barbells if you get a chance. It is a super cute book.

Good luck!

It is indeed nice to have odd hobbies.  I get the same chain letter comments too. 

I think I will have to look at that book.  I have done some exercises with the baby before.  She is still to light for my current routine though.   ;)

Current Challenge:

Thalianost Branches Out

Lifted heavy things this morning, didn't do as well as I had hoped.  On top of that I have to go into work early all week so my workouts are going to be cut a little shorter than I would like.  At least eating is a bit easier at work than at home on the weekends.  Getting enough sleep too. 

Current Challenge:

Thalianost Branches Out

I didn't get a full 6 hours last night mainly thanks to a certain angry baby.  But on the up side I managed to drag my lazy butt out of bed and do some lifting before work.  Looks like I will be on track to get all my protein in too.  Hopefully the baby will sleep through the night tonight. 

• Like 1

Current Challenge:

Thalianost Branches Out

Since I checked in last, I have kept up with my sleep and my protein and I completed my 4th workout of the week this morning.  There is no notable change in my body fat or muscle mass yet, but I can tell by the burning that something is happening.  I am amazed how many times I quit lifting in the past because I actually ENJOY being sore. 

I have been thinking about the Roleplaying aspect of this site and, even though I am not eligible to level up this challenge since I started late, I have been putting thought into my "character" if you will.  Right now I am training as a warrior to build strength and muscle before I start to work on fat loss.  But the more I look at my goals and at the different Classes, I realize I kinda fall under the Ranger category.  I am not at all pleased by this as I have no interest in being referred to as a Ranger.  So I decided, since I want the functional strength of a Ranger but also the obscene power of a warrior, I am going to make for myself the subclass of Knight

Knights were the ultimate warriors of their day.  While they were primarily involved in mounted combat, they were also proficient in a wide variety of combat styles.  They were just as versatile as a Ranger but fought openly like a Warrior while wearing 60 lbs of armor. 

So that is my character, Level 0 Human Knight.  I will probably end up guild-hopping between the Rangers and The Warriors once I finish my next challenge. 

What about all of you?  Are you dissatisfied with the current guild selection?  Considering a subclass? 

• Like 1

Current Challenge:

Thalianost Branches Out

Today is an off day for lifting, though I really wish it wasn't.  I kinda want to just keep lifting, but I know that I need to take time off for my body to recover.  Got plenty of sleep last night.  The protein is proving difficult today.  It is grocery day and our fridge is woefully empty.  I think I can squeak through though. 

I am very excited about doing these challenges.  As I said, I don't even want to take a day off.  I have been spending most of my time today thinking about this challenge and the next and the next after that and of course the results that come along with them.  I am really glad I found this site.  It makes me excited about getting in shape, something I need. 

• Like 1

Current Challenge:

Thalianost Branches Out

I seemed to have missed you! HI!

I am ChristArtist - an Ambassador for the Adventurers - and WELCOME!

FIRST - don't give up on the Warriors just yet - they do a lot of ranger-y things!

SECOND - I have put together a group called storming the castle - that has a lot of information that might be helpful to your plans for next challenge.

The link is in my sig line, or in the accountabilibuddies section of this current challenge.

Why am I promoting MY group? Well, I wrote it - and we are the only ones with a castle - and you have chosen to be a knight - and knights go with castles...even though there are no good knights in the Princess Bride.

We did have a friend and his wife that made their own chain maele! He was an odd bloke - but then, most of our friends are odd blokes, and probably say the same about us!

Good job in making yourself take a rest day - it really will benefit you in the long run...but I know how much it feels so good to start moving again!

Go check out the storming the castle thread - lots of links...check out my thread, there is some whine, but maybe you can find the cheese....PM me if you have questions...and, mostly, I'll be following you....it's done.

I'm sorry.

that's the way it is.

oh - RPG - I am part of the RPG accountabilibuddy group...you can't join now...but go read how we do our stuff!

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

In His hands and Under His wings, Phil 4:13; Is 40:31; Jer 29:11
 Adventurer by choice

Thanks, ChristArtist, I will definately check out some of those threads.  Storming the Castle sounds like it might be fun.  I will also keep the Adventurers in mind when choosing a guild. 

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Current Challenge:

Thalianost Branches Out

I have been thinking about the Roleplaying aspect of this site and, even though I am not eligible to level up this challenge since I started late, I have been putting thought into my "character" if you will.  Right now I am training as a warrior to build strength and muscle before I start to work on fat loss.  But the more I look at my goals and at the different Classes, I realize I kinda fall under the Ranger category.  I am not at all pleased by this as I have no interest in being referred to as a Ranger.  So I decided, since I want the functional strength of a Ranger but also the obscene power of a warrior, I am going to make for myself the subclass of Knight

Knights were the ultimate warriors of their day.  While they were primarily involved in mounted combat, they were also proficient in a wide variety of combat styles.  They were just as versatile as a Ranger but fought openly like a Warrior while wearing 60 lbs of armor. 

So that is my character, Level 0 Human Knight.  I will probably end up guild-hopping between the Rangers and The Warriors once I finish my next challenge. 

What about all of you?  Are you dissatisfied with the current guild selection?  Considering a subclass? 

I was really confused at first by the 6 (at the time) that I was reading about -- none of them seemed to fit me. But I think I get it a little better now.

#1 I do not want to be an assassin because they are folk who kill people. But I want to be Raphael (see Steve's 2 TMNT articles.. no I don't know how to put in links, sorry) so I have a Ninja dilemma.

The 6 (7 if you count Adventurers) classes are TYPES OF WORKOUT.  I don't play video games (Tetris and Galaga don't count, in this example.) If you like to pick up heavy things, you're a Warrior, yada, yada, yada....

SO every challenge session you have to pick ONE group to hang out with, support each other with your similar goals for the 6 weeks, etc. For the next challenge, you can go play with another group, if you wish, or keep with just the one. (It depends on what your goals are for the next 6 weeks.)

As for your Knight thingy - you may notice that people (and others) put their race in the bottom with their stats. This is a separate item. Our illustrious leader in the RPG Fanatics Accountabilibudies is listed as a satyr (he finally posted a picture of himself and I have to agree... Teros IS a satyr. ) There are also a lot of halflings in the group. (self image and comfort zones have a lot to do with this ) Since this is NOT the SCA, you can probably get away with calling yourself a Knight, and I don't see anyone really fussing over it. (Certain countries in Europe, and many SCAdians see Knighthood as something that has to be earned. You seem to see it as a noble goal. As far as I am concerned, as long as you don't go around saying, "Nee!" to old women, you should be okay.)

Have I confused you further? I hope not.

My boy scout badge to the left is the Adventurers. I'm there because I don't have a certain sport that I practice.. I just kinda want to be healthier. I don't swim, run marathons, practice tai chi or yoga. If you check out the challenges there this time we have push-ups, drink more water and encourage others. (This shit I can do!) The other ones seem more advanced; people a little further along the trail than I am.

Why am I promoting MY group? Well, I wrote it - and we are the only ones with a castle - and you have chosen to be a knight - and knights go with castles...even though there are no good knights in the Princess Bride.

oh - RPG - I am part of the RPG accountabilibuddy group...you can't join now...but go read how we do our stuff!

Hey, Princess Bride DID have a cute Pirate! And Andre The Giant (he was kinda cute, too.)

The accountabilibuddies are a secondary support group that is cross - class. the RPG fanatics have members from across the board who enjoy the fantasy aspect of being strong by being someone else. We also are building some very strong friendships there. (don't worry about  jumping in, I was stalking last time, and I read & follow this 6 week challenge. ) I like to hang out there because we have things in common & that helps us be "accountable" and stay with our goals. I find their strengths encouraging to my life.    ... it's kind of awesome...

The advise here? Keep clicking and surfing tags. find people who have similar goals, see where they travel.

Then go there.

If you change your mind, that's good too.

ADVENTURER

now

You should be able to get one level before the challenge is over. You'll have completed 3 weeks, so go ahead and work up a grading scale. I was sad that I wasn't going to level since I missed the first week, but I'll still get one according to the leveling thread they posted a few days back.

Jessica ZUUL || Level 1 Dwarf

4 STR || 2 DEX || 2 STA || 2 CON || 3 WIS || 0 CHA

1st ChallengeCurrent Challenge | Veg of the week thread

Thanks Hanksdottir.  I know the guilds are just common intrest and you arn't bound to them for life or anything.  Its just that, being a reenactor and sometimes gamer, the labels do hold meaning to me.  And since I also want to surround myself with people who share common goals I just came up with my own solution.  Thanks for the advise though! 

Thanks for the input Zuul, but I think it will just be easier for my twisted mind to just skip the leveling until next challange.  I like things to line up properly. 

Current Challenge:

Thalianost Branches Out

I'm slipping up, by trying to answer some stuff from my phone....Hanksdottir just did a great job...I may nominate her to take my place while I take a short sabatical.

Unfortunately, Thereisnonlyzuul is incorrect.

according to Real Life Role Playing, in the challenge forum "rules/faq"(on a tablet, not a computer, sorry) - IF you start at the beginning and complete the first three weeks, you level from 0-1.

You do not move onto level 2 until you have completed a full challenge -and you do not move on to a guild until you have completed a full challenge.

"If you fail/drop out of a challenge, you do not level up."

Now, what I remember, but may be way back when the dinosaurs were writing the nf rules, is that you have to complete four weeks minimum at level 1 to move up.

I am awaiting information about that from the 'powers that be' - the highly evolved nerds that currently maintain the forum!

And, I'm not sure which leveling up post - mine in storming the castle, or Blaidd's response to me in the level 1s - but, those that were with me for 2 weeks, I told to level up to week three - rather than be off by one week, or three days, or whatever. I got permission for that.

It is easier if you start at the beginning (Princess Bride quote in my head now)

and you will create friendships with the other level1s that will build your foundation for your nerd fitness experience.

And seriously - this is YOUR life - take the time to learn, to emmerse yourself, to prepare yourself. You are in for a wonderful journey!

BTW - labels holding meaning...have you noticed what mine is? And this came out of my RPG group here - and my friendship with Thom(whom I think I saw post on here), a very devout heathen. No one has voiced any concern for my choice!

I also have added an attribute - because the spiritual is important to me...unfortunately, I keep setting my goal WAY too high - so, how funny is it that the christian mystic has 0 SPR points!

Anyway - I'll keep an eye out for you...come check out my thread - all my info is in my sig line...so I don't have to remember. Kind of like my cell phone!

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

In His hands and Under His wings, Phil 4:13; Is 40:31; Jer 29:11
 Adventurer by choice

Thanks, Christartist.  I didn't notice your extra attribute before.  Very cool.  I may need to steal that or do something similar at some point. 

As for my Quests:  Getting enough sleep.  Managed to get my protein.  Don't start lifting again until Monday.  I don't think I am going to pull of my Sparring sidequest, at no fault of my own.  The only other person in my reenactment group with weapons and armor has been unable to make the meetings and looks like that won't change for a while yet.  Disappointing, but there is more to life than swordplay.  Not much more, but more. 

Current Challenge:

Thalianost Branches Out

So far things have been going well, although yesterday I almost didn't meet my protein goal.  We ran out of milk and had a vegetarian dinner.  But peanut butter came to the rescue and I managed to pull it off. 

• Like 1

Current Challenge:

Thalianost Branches Out

I have been getting my workouts in and getting my protein.  Yesterday I went to the Ren Faire and completed the second half of my mini quest.  4 people thought i worked there and 2 people asked me to pose for pictures.  I probably won't work out today, but I will definately get my protein.  Chili Day!

• Like 1

Current Challenge:

Thalianost Branches Out

We are having a small celebration at work today.  It makes me very glad that I am not limiting my caloric intake, because I would have blown that quest.  (Curse you Cinnamon Rolls *shakes fist*)  It does make me realize just how hard it will be once I do start cutting back, especially since that will be around the dreaded holidays.  But, that's another challenge. 

As for this one, so far I have gotten all my protein and workouts and only came up short on 3 nights of sleep.  Not bad, even if I was only in for half the challenge.  Now I just need to keep the momentum going through the end and start planning the next challenge. 

• Like 1

Current Challenge:

Thalianost Branches Out

Final report: 

I am giving myself a 76% on this challange.  mainly because the method I used to calculate my percentage takes all quests and side quests in to account evenly.  Next time I may adjust it so the side quests don't count for as much. 

Current Challenge:

Thalianost Branches Out

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines