Fetchling Pirate, Aspiring Warrior.

Update: Creatine ordered. Pretty stoked.

Fetchling Warrior, Level 2

str-9 dex-2 sta-3 con-4 wis-3 cha-3

Battle log!

Fitocracy!

555LB CLUB @ UNIVERSITY:

75%
75%

50 Push-ups at Once:

50%
50%

“Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?â€

“For a moment, nothing happened. Then, after a second or so, nothing continued to happen.â€

― The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hey! I think I'm pretty done with lots of sugar. I tried to drink a Fresca tonight, because I figured I hadn't drank soda or eaten anything too unhealthy in a while...so why not?

Why not is I was sick of it less than halfway in, and now I'm drinking water because a headache might be a thing I'm about to get.

On the bright side, push ups are possibly my favourite exercise now. I used to hate them. I feel strong.

Battle log!

Fitocracy!

555LB CLUB @ UNIVERSITY:

75%
75%

50 Push-ups at Once:

50%
50%

“For a moment, nothing happened. Then, after a second or so, nothing continued to happen.â€

So should I just push through the sets tonight even though my quads still hurt? Or should I take a rest from the squats like I intended to?

Also, I've never gotten a straight answer. When it says 6 sets with a workout where you only use one arm or one leg, is it 3 on each side or 6 on each side?

Do your regular warmup and see how your legs feel. If it's just DOMS it will usually go away once you're warmed up. That's how you know you can do the work anyway. If it's still significantly painful after the warmup, regress or give your legs a break for a workout.

Curious: is there a specific program you're seeing the 6 sets prescribed that you're wondering about?

Cowardly Assassin
Training Log | Challenges: Current8th, 7th, 6th, 5th, 4th, 3rd, 2nd, 1st

I started the fitness666 thing, or whatever it is, and 6x6 seemed like a good number. I'm just following what feels right for me at the time.

I've just always wondered this for like bentover rows and things. Does 6 sets mean 6 sets total or 6 on each side?

Battle log!

Fitocracy!

555LB CLUB @ UNIVERSITY:

75%
75%

50 Push-ups at Once:

50%
50%

Things happening in my life:

1) I tried more or less unscientifically cutting for the past 2 weeks that I couldn't get to the gym bc grad school.

2) I lost some fat. No calipers to know for sure, but I don't think I've lost any muscle and I have been doing some BW stuff in the meantime.

3) Tomorrow I'm getting back to the rec and starting my new round of bulking. I'm considering going in 6wk bulk/2 wk cut cycles.

4) To that end, I took my first bit of creatine today. Holy crap does it make you thirsty. At least at first. I'm hoping that won't be an issue once my body gets used to it.

5) I have so much homework... #lolgradschool #lolsobbing

6) I'm currently roasting pork chops, potatoes, and asparagus in the oven. The porkchops are braised with garlic powder and italian seasoning, and I'm using worcestershire sauce and chicken broth in the pan. Hopefully it's tasty. This is my first time attempting to cook porkchops. I've also realized my dinner is more or less accidentally paleo, so nerdfitness would be proud I guess (not that I really care to go on a "paleo diet." I'm not skeptical of it so much...I just do fine enough with dairy and carby things).

Tomorrow I'm going to attempt to start with the weight I left off on before I stopped going to the rec. So, roughly

• 125 lb squat.
  • 75 lb bench
  • Pull-ups (55lb assistance)

Then, Wednesday, if Monday's weights were successful:

• 115 lb deadlift.
  • 130 lb squat.
  • 65 lb overhead press.

Wish me luck! I've joined the Warriors for the next 6-week challenge. It's convenient that I start bulking tomorrow when the next challenge starts :P I'm still on my same overall quest, but I felt like reaching 50% of my longterm goal was awesome enough to level up a bit! :)

Battle log!

Fitocracy!

555LB CLUB @ UNIVERSITY:

75%
75%

50 Push-ups at Once:

50%
50%

Update: At work they gave us "nachos" which essentially was comprised of chips and velveeta/rotel tomato cheese sauce.

I haven't had really unhealthy food in a while (besides Taco Bell, but I was having a bad day). I was surprised to note that I now notice the little effects different foods have on my body. The surprise wasn't really that pleasant...

Battle log!

Fitocracy!

555LB CLUB @ UNIVERSITY:

75%
75%

50 Push-ups at Once:

50%
50%

Update: At work they gave us "nachos" which essentially was comprised of chips and velveeta/rotel tomato cheese sauce.

I haven't had really unhealthy food in a while (besides Taco Bell, but I was having a bad day). I was surprised to note that I now notice the little effects different foods have on my body. The surprise wasn't really that pleasant...

Battle log!

Fitocracy!

555LB CLUB @ UNIVERSITY:

75%
75%

50 Push-ups at Once:

50%
50%

Had a fantastic workout last night!

3x5 squats 115lb

3x5 Overhead press 60lb (failure - last rep of the last set)

2x5 Deadlifts 105 lb

I've noticed that, unlike squats or OHPs, I have to be really in tune with my muscles and body position for deadlifts. Like I feel connected to the barbell almost (except for the part where no matter how I grip it I get callouses). Feels good. My lower back is tight today, but not sore like I hurt it. I feel wonderful, though I do need to consume more protein tonight.

Also, San Antonio water makes my skin smell faintly like chlorine. 

Battle log!

Fitocracy!

555LB CLUB @ UNIVERSITY:

75%
75%

50 Push-ups at Once:

50%
50%

I used a 1 rep max calculator on Bodybuilding.com to calculate my 1 rep max from what I'm lifting. Roughly I think it's accurate. 

My proximity to my goal has changed, though! Hopefully I can reach it in the next 6 weeks!

Battle log!

Fitocracy!

555LB CLUB @ UNIVERSITY:

75%
75%

50 Push-ups at Once:

50%
50%

A solid 3x5 85lb bench today!

My 3x5 120lb squats seem easier this week than my 115lb squats did last week. Either the creatine is actually having some effect or my form dramatically improved...or I just am stronger. That could be it, too. Thursday I try for 125!!!

I took 5 lbs off my pull-up assist today, which means I'm pulling 95lbs!

I'm trying to not be that person who criticizes people's squat form...but it's really hard when they're not even going to parallel. I want to be like "you know you'll just strain your knees more that way, right? You should probably lower the weight you're lifting if you can't go down to parallel". Then people want to correct my form and be like "you know you're going further than parallel, right?" 

I just want to be like Sherlock in that very first episode and sneer at them "do your research."

FULL RANGE OF MOTION FTW!

Also, my fiance had surprise flowers sent round to my place this evening. :3 

I finally forced him to believe that, like most women, I actually like romantic gestures!

Battle log!

Fitocracy!

555LB CLUB @ UNIVERSITY:

75%
75%

50 Push-ups at Once:

50%
50%

I AM SNEEZING SO MUCH RIGHT NOW OMFGAHHHHH!!! 

4b2cdfb5efa63dc6a94c20c332c5e58525306608

• Like 1

Battle log!

Fitocracy!

555LB CLUB @ UNIVERSITY:

75%
75%

50 Push-ups at Once:

50%
50%

I could not get my body to lift that bar for my OHPs. Could not. I tried several times after resting a few minutes to see if it was just immediate fatigue. Failed like the second rep of the first set. Fo sho...so I took the weight off and just OHPed the bar for my sets. Acceptable, but a little disappointed. Sometimes, you just can't do it. Sucks, but I'll try again next week.

My workout:

• 2x5 45lb squats
  • 3x5 125lb squats
  • 4x5 45lb OHP
  • 2x5 135lb deadlift
  • 3x5 lateral raises/push up super sets (wasn't sure how to properly notate supersets)
  • 3x5 inverted rows on a Smith Machine.

A fellow lady-beast complimented my physique and asked how in the world I built my back. lol. I have a nice back, apparently. Too bad I can't admire it as readily as I can admire my front...

Also, punctured my tire on the highway. So woo for that. I'm going to end up missing tomorrow morning of work.

I feel...deflated... /Shatner

Battle log!

Fitocracy!

555LB CLUB @ UNIVERSITY:

75%
75%

50 Push-ups at Once:

50%
50%

Found my 1 rep max today for squat and bench...

Squat: 145lb

Bench: 135lb

BOOM!

Battle log!

Fitocracy!

555LB CLUB @ UNIVERSITY:

75%
75%

50 Push-ups at Once:

50%
50%

joker gains

I'm not that far from being able to do 5 rep sets of 145lbs if I keep eating like I am. I'm trying to decide, since I do barbell squats 2x/week, if I should do an isometric variation at least one of those 2x. I read about different ways to make your lift stronger on an article on t-nation today, and my favourite way was the isometric stuff. Isometrics suck, though. I did a bridge plank today (a back plank? No idea what it should be called)  and my hamstrings burned so much! #worthit

Check out fitocracy (linked in my signature) for my barbell sets. I didn't record the bridge plank because it doesn't exist under any name I could think of on the site...

Battle log!

Fitocracy!

555LB CLUB @ UNIVERSITY:

75%
75%

50 Push-ups at Once:

50%
50%

Personally, I wouldn't do swap out a squat day for anything. Nothing helps you build a lift like doing the lift. If you want to add some accessory work to help along weaker muscles sure, but don't drop a main lift just to do an accessory lift that may or may not help. Be careful with T-nation, its an awesome site but can definitely fill your head with distractions. CT himself writes about consistency and following your program to the finish. Take this progression until you can't keep adding weight. At that point, start adding things to eventually add weight. Otherwise you're just screwing around in the gym. 

As for OHP, again keep at it, but if you want to increase it then start adding things to help. I like the Arnold Press (dumbells) and dips to build your triceps and chest. OHP is tough, and takes a while to build up. It's by far my weakest lift as well. 

• Like 1

Pinterest: Alex's Paleo Wins - Recipes on Pinterest              Instagram: alexcold23             MFP: dalex916

Personally, I wouldn't do swap out a squat day for anything. Nothing helps you build a lift like doing the lift. If you want to add some accessory work to help along weaker muscles sure, but don't drop a main lift just to do an accessory lift that may or may not help. Be careful with T-nation, its an awesome site but can definitely fill your head with distractions. CT himself writes about consistency and following your program to the finish. Take this progression until you can't keep adding weight. At that point, start adding things to eventually add weight. Otherwise you're just screwing around in the gym.

As for OHP, again keep at it, but if you want to increase it then start adding things to help. I like the Arnold Press (dumbells) and dips to build your triceps and chest. OHP is tough, and takes a while to build up. It's by far my weakest lift as well.

+1 to Alex's point about accessory lifts. They're meant for weak muscles or sticking points. Even a short plateau doesn't mean it's appropriate to add an accessory lift.

Not sure about the accessory lifts for OHP either. Unless you're bulking and also completely without progress, accessory lifts will not do you much good. OHP is just about everyone's weakest lift by far, and it sounds like yours is keeping up with your other lifts just fine.

Cowardly Assassin
Training Log | Challenges: Current8th, 7th, 6th, 5th, 4th, 3rd, 2nd, 1st

Oh, I squat every day. I was talking about isometric squats instead of normal squats. Makes sense that you would only do that if you hit a plateau.

I'm mostly doing isometric ab work. I'm on the search for a good ab/core workout that I can do as a part of my workouts (after all my lifts). I know compound lifts work core but I also want to really target those muscles. I also should do some isolated work for my lumbar, because I injured it last summer and it still has a propensity for a relapse if I'm not super-careful. Back problems are common to a lot of people, but I want to make sure I'm not sidelined because I didn't do the work I need to do.

I drank a Dr. Pepper today for the caffeine. I should've toughed it out. My body is really punishing me for it. I don't even LIKE Dr. Pepper! I have had exactly two Frescas (which are gross) and one Stout since I started training...and now a Dr. Pepper. #somanyregrets

I'm in the middle of my bulk and still struggling for calories. It's mostly to do with my work/school schedule. I have to pack all lunch and snacks through the day from 8-11pm for 3 days/week, because I get home that late. I'm going to start needing a duffel bag just for food!

Battle log!

Fitocracy!

555LB CLUB @ UNIVERSITY:

75%
75%

50 Push-ups at Once:

50%
50%