Job 4: It's What Separates Us From the Reavers

Cheechoe

Many of you, like myself, joined NF to make yourself somehow better. Better physically, mentally, habitually, etc.

The constant need to engage yourself to learn more, be healthier, be stronger, or whatever else may increase happiness and fulfillment in your life is what makes you human. It's what separates us from the Reavers.

To quote Sartre:

"Man is nothing else but what he makes of himself. ..[He].. exists only to the extent that he fulfills himself; he is therefore nothing else than the ensemble of his acts, nothing else than his life,".

Sometimes with work and other stresses of life, we all start to get the feeling sliding into Reaver mode; heartless, hopeless, jaded, losing sanity, just run down on life.

This week I urge you: FIGHT THE TRANSFORMATION of INHUMANITY. DON'T LET THE REAVERS OVERCOME YOU!

How, do you ask?

I've made a list of non-Reavery virtues to focus on this week along with a physical counter-part...because....MUAHAHAHHAAaaaaa.

Now, I know I'm not perfect and I don't expect anyone else to be either. So let's take this one day at a time. :)

Monday:  LOVE     BURPEES

The Reavers know nothing of Love. Their purpose is to kill, maim, and destroy.

Fight this urge by telling someone you love them today. If a spouse is too easy, please challenge yourself and pick someone different.

I know you LOOOOOOOOVE burpees. <3 Add them to you workout today and post the numbers.

Tuesday:   SELF CONTROL     WALL SITS

The Reavers are rash. They take what they want when they see it without caring of consequences.

Fight this by taking one thing away today. It can be from your diet, from your pocketbook, from your nightly habit, etc

Perform 3 one minute (or 6, 30sec) wall sits today!

Wednesday INDOMITABLE SPIRIT     DISTANCE

A Reaver has no heart in his drive to kill. No passion and no purpose. Just slaughter.

Fight this by setting your mind toward a distance goal and reach it today. It can be running, swimming, hiking, walking, etc.

You pick the mode of transportation and take yourself there! Post your miles/minutes!

Thursday:   INTEGRITY    WORK YOUR WEAKNESS

There is nothing honest or upright about the Reavers.

Contradict this trend by being honest with yourself today: What is your weakness? Sometimes learning this about yourself is a great percentage of your battle.

Do 3 rounds of your weakest exercise today! (Can be running, a BW exercise, jumping, lifting, etc). Post your exercise and your numbers!

Friday:   WISDOM    KNOWLEDGE IS POWER

Uh. Reavers are dumb.

Prove you aren't slipping by picking up a book today and reading as many pages as your day allows.

Post your page numbers!

Saturday:  COURAGE   SOMETHING NEW

Reavers attack in the shadows. What strength they have lies purely on flesh, not of the person.

Have the courage today to try something new with your workout! Have courage to ask someone to workout with you today. (If you do, you get to double your numbers!) Perhaps take your family to do something physical. Trying new things can be exciting and daring! Also, you get GL bonus points of awesome (amount TBD) for doing something you have NEVER done before! (Just make it physical - if you tell me you've never licked a VCR before and post your tongue-on-device time, I'm not impressed and you aren't getting points for that. Well, maybe a little impressed.) GO FOR IT!  DO SOMETHING DARING!

Post your workout and numbers/time from your new activity.

Sunday:   TEMPERANCE     STRETCH

The Reavers have no patience and no peace of mind.

Focus on your temperament  today. The week is finished and you can examine it's success/failures, or you can clear your head for what's to come.

Take time to stretch today. More than your normal little tugs. Foam roll, if you have one.  Perhaps do a session of yoga or Thai Chi. Post your activities!

I encourage you guys to post all of your thoughts and numbers. We all learn from each other and can gain things by relating to each others strengths and weaknesses.

Let's kick Week 4 in the gorram rear!

• Like 3

Wow, who should I scare with that first challenge? :tongue:

Us.  Because you clearly love us.

• Like 2

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

H'ok. 60 burpees today. 3 sets of 20.

Man, I suck at these. Slowed down a lot since last time I've done them. 20 in a row reeeeeally gets my heart rate up.

Sooooo....I texted my sister: Hey. I love you.

Then she called me and asked me why I sent that text. :P

We are close, but we don't get all that....squishy. We just weren't raised that way. It went something like this:

Sis: Why did you send me that text?

Me: Uh....because? ...um..Because sometimes it needs to be said.

Sis: Oh

uh.

that's nice.

er.....I mean thanks.

um...I meant I love you too.......thanks?

Me: Ok, Ross.

Sis: Actually Emily said that.

*Begin laughing at Friends jokes*

So....awkward. yes. Big deal? no. just kept talking after like things were normal, but I'm glad I did it.

:)

Oops, late to this one.  Will catch up on exercises when I get home.  I would assume that telling my cats doesn't count.  They're used to it anyway.

Self control will involve not getting into the ice cream.  I brought some home in a moment of weakness and have been eating way too much of it the last few days.

• Like 1

Behave yourself, badly if necessary.

Current Challenge

Judo - Shodan

My Character

I did 10 Burpees of solidarity with my fitness class last night, and I told them I love them. :) 

BTW - Many of these traits are very fitting as they are commonly spoken in many Martial Arts schools are part of their creed of ethics. usually something along the lines of Courtesy, Integrity, Perseverance, Self-Control, & Indomitable Spirit. 

Level 8 Half-Elven Ninja (3 Assassin/5 Monk)

[sTR 15.5] [DEX 13] [CON 10] [sTA 13] [WIS 19] [CHA 9]

"With great power there must also come great responsibility" - Amazing Fantasy #15

"Pressure makes diamonds." - Gen. George S. Patton

about.me/daniel.mccarthy Follow my blog

Passed on all of the love to my sister.  Needs to be said more often.

Then today - 3 x 1 min wall sits - didn't enjoy the last bit of each, and accidental manx cat decided to sit underneath me - I was just relieved that my lap didn't look inviting (though it was horizontal, i promise).

Giving something up?  Well, I cheated - had gluten free, dairy free nachos - FINALLY found a semi-local shop that sells GF/DF corn chips!!!!!!  So I had DF and GF and it was a dirt day meal!  First one for months and months, and first nachos for about two years.  It was great.  Too salty (next I'll have to make my own refried beans).  But YUM! 

• Like 1

NF challenges: March 2018 , 12 , 11 , 10, 9876, 54321

Uh oh, how can it be that its me again.....????

Surely thats not how timezones work.

I held off yesterday because the timing seemed odd relative to everyone else.  Let's just think of ourselves as trendsetters.

So here's two for the price of one.

Yesterday: wall sits done, and no chocolate (despite temptations including cake) or wine (despite stressful day).
Today: Thought I should go for a run but I wasn't sure what a good distance would be, since I haven't done any running other than Tabata sprints for a loooong time.  Decided to go for a 5k, which definitely hit the challenging-but-achievable range.  Clocked it in the plodderific time of 36:32, which sucks is better than not having done it at all still sucks though.  I was prepared to take walk breaks, but managed to keep it at a slow jog.
  • Like 3

Googolplex, level 4 monk,  My avatar

I held off yesterday because the timing seemed odd relative to everyone else.  Let's just think of ourselves as trendsetters.

So here's two for the price of one.

Yesterday: wall sits done, and no chocolate (despite temptations including cake) or wine (despite stressful day).
Today: Thought I should go for a run but I wasn't sure what a good distance would be, since I haven't done any running other than Tabata sprints for a loooong time.  Decided to go for a 5k, which definitely hit the challenging-but-achievable range.  Clocked it in the plodderific time of 36:32, which sucks is better than not having done it at all still sucks though.  I was prepared to take walk breaks, but managed to keep it at a slow jog.

Trendsetters is good!  I just reckon the burpees put lots of folk off this week's treat sessions.

Yay for 5K!!!!  Especially with no walk breaks.  Run speeds always get so hit by taking breaks (or they show up training breaks as they're easier to moniter - much easier to time a run than it is to measure power in kicks).

again, YAY!

Goal distance was >3.83km on the treadmill, via intervals of 1min easy, 1 min not easy.  Managed 3.84km!   Just made it.......  Plus, I did intervals!  It is always so tempting to just not do them.

Well done! Intervals are supposed to be really good at triggering overall improvement, but they do take self-discipline.

• Like 1

Googolplex, level 4 monk,  My avatar

Exercised self control, and didn't get on LoL last night (and before anyone asks, I just started, and I'mma have a ways to go to get better at it). Wall sits were part of the programming for the evening, so I did 'em. Yay!

Since I have another fasting day tomorrow, I'm gonna go ahead and do both Wednesday and Thursday's challenges tomorrow. Particularly since running is my weak point. :D

• Like 2

Box jumps are my nemesis......  3 x 10 box jumps. 

Not happy, set 1 was very very grim (how can I be scared of box jumps, cause thats what it felt like!), the other sets were rubbish but less petrifying. 

Might save these up for the next challenge.  Certainly not yet ready to do these at the gym.  I'd figured something was up when I'd been substituting in burpees instead of box jumps in my circuit training.

• Like 1

Late to the party here. I did my wall sits this morning because I just read the challenge yesterday.

I usually do wall sits to failure with no timing. This time I set a stopwatch. My times were: 1:33, 1:23 and 1:16.

The variation I was given by my physical therapist is to use a large exercise ball between my back and the wall, press a kid's playground ball (about 10" diameter) between my knees, feet up on the toes, and gently pulse up and down from the hips. Usually my inner thighs give out first. This time I didn't squeeze as hard with my knees to give my quads a workout.

I was good about not eating dessert last night even though I made chocolate ice cream. More a result of improved habits than actual self control. No coffee in the morning was actual self control.

Level 63  Viking paladin

My current challenge   Battle log 

Late to the party here. I did my wall sits this morning because I just read the challenge yesterday.

I usually do wall sits to failure with no timing. This time I set a stopwatch. My times were: 1:33, 1:23 and 1:16.

The variation I was given by my physical therapist is to use a large exercise ball between my back and the wall, press a kid's playground ball (about 10" diameter) between my knees, feet up on the toes, and gently pulse up and down from the hips. Usually my inner thighs give out first. This time I didn't squeeze as hard with my knees to give my quads a workout.

I was good about not eating dessert last night even though I made chocolate ice cream. More a result of improved habits than actual self control. No coffee in the morning was actual self control.

Nice wall sit times!! I think a minute was pretty much failure :/

Maybe it was a mental thing....knowing I would be able to quit at a minute? Not sure. I did have to sort of shift my weight a lot. Tried to be very aware to stay at parallel. Haaaard.

Also ^5 for waiting for coffee and ice cream. :)

Ooh, I think box jumps are scary too, but my weakness is definitely pull ups.  It's hard to do three sets of a thing you can't do at all, so I did three sets of 5 negative chin-ups. Last one of each set was in the "maybe dropping slightly slower than gravity alone would cause" realm.  

I'm ok a box jumps, like mentally, but not jumping in general. Box jumps are the only thing that has helped my jump kicks at all. This is also my weak point. Nooooot a jumper.

• Like 1

Exercised self control, and didn't get on LoL last night (and before anyone asks, I just started, and I'mma have a ways to go to get better at it). Wall sits were part of the programming for the evening, so I did 'em. Yay!

Since I have another fasting day tomorrow, I'm gonna go ahead and do both Wednesday and Thursday's challenges tomorrow. Particularly since running is my weak point. :D

GIVE ME YOUR USER NAME!!!!  (PM or something!)

I haven't played in a while but I was playing every day for a long stretch.

I've been bad and have forgotten all about this mini-challenge but I'll hop to!

For today's thing I'd say my weakness is my stubbornness, it helps me sometimes but it also holds me back sometimes.

Exercise-wise: legs, anything legs.  Even though squats are a part of my routine I'ma do something else leggy tonight!

lvl 4 Astartes Monk STR 8.5 | STA 9.5 | CON 6.5 | DEX 7.75 | WIS 10 | CHA 7.25

"Burn the Calorie, Kill the Workout, Purge the Apathy"

Push Up Challenge: Yellow Belt (36)

For today's thing I'd say my weakness is my stubbornness, it helps me sometimes but it also holds me back sometimes.

Exercise-wise: legs, anything legs.  Even though squats are a part of my routine I'ma do something else leggy tonight!

*using self control to not comment on what 'extra leggy' OP is doing tonight*

K15H1. What else would it be? :D

But yeah, I'm telling myself not to do this on nights when I have work the next day. Getting to bed is hard enough these days as it is. Probably won't be playing again until... Saturday night. Maybe. Depending on how plans workout.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines