Hello~

I am a long time lurker--and to be honest very shy which is why I this is my first post.

A few years ago I was reading the NF paleo articles. I was having pain in my joints--specifically my fingers and ankles and it turned out my wheat-heavy diet was the source. At this time I was working in the healthcare field and had sustained a back injury leading to sciatic in my left leg--which I had been having painful flare ups all year since the initial injury. 

I used Steve's articles as a guide and cut gluten, pop, and anything that came from a vending machine and went from 240 to 184. I also began to do yoga and swimming and my sciatica completely disappeared! Currently I am also doing body weight exercises as well--and I just took an intro class to wing chun and I love it! I can't wait to get started training regularly! I also just moved to campus and as such do a lot of walking from class to class and I would like to pick up inline skating again--I loved it as a kid.

What I want to work up to is parkour--to me seems like total ability to know your body and to be able--it just amazes me!

Now for the fun stuff!

I have loved anime since I was a small child, and I also comics (manga, some super hero, indies, and web). As I said I just moved to college--this is actually my second round--I didn't finish the first time. But at 27 these kids make me feel old--even the anime people are talking about--I am finding I am old-school (late 90s-00s? How is this that long ago?) I've recently gotten back into video games again--I've always been into puzzle adventure games like Legend of Zelda and Shadow of the Colossus, and was heavy into WoW previously. And I love languages! Currently working on Spanish--planning on learning German and Japanese as well. Wanted to learn Bangla so to speak to my future in-laws--but I could not find many resources.

I was watching the NF Academy Webinar last night, and people asking question and making statements inspired me. I am working on the path to be healthy on my own--but like I said I have always been shy and a little awkward. I just moved to a new place and I find, I am lonely--and I am realizing that this is just another thing I need to work on. So first step is finally making a Nerd Fitness forum post! 

Hello all, I am happy to meet you and get to know you!

• Like 2

Hi sneakingpink!  It's nice to meet you!!!

We seem to have some similar interests!  I love me some yoga and was training in parkour until a recent injury (but I will go back in a few months!).  I speak 3 languages fluently and want to learn more (ugh, I need to prioritize some time for this......), and yay, anime!  There's some great new stuff out there, but some of the 90s series are the pinnacle of the best ever made, let's be honest!  I like role playing games, too. ^_^

Anyway, welcome, welcome!  You are definitely not alone, and I think you're going to do awesome here!  There's a challenge starting in a little under a month, so hopefully you can hop in and get some progress gains (and amaze yourself!).  But definitely try commenting around the forums - there are tons of friendly, nice people here who would love to meet you. :love_heart:

• Like 1

🎪current challenge🎪

challenge archive: 19181716 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

instagram | goodreads

"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." - Voltaire

Fantastic! What languages are you interested in?

I speak bits of Japanese and Italian, so those would probably be next on my list.  I already speak Russian, French, and obviously English. ^_^  My Japanese used to be better but it's atrophied pretty spectacularly from disuse.  I'd very much like to tackle Mandarin Chinese someday, because I am insane.

🎪current challenge🎪

challenge archive: 19181716 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

instagram | goodreads

"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." - Voltaire

Hello, welcome!

The body is amazing and can heal itself if we treat it right. Congratulations on all your success! I love your enthusiasm for life and learning. Keep up the good work. :)

Thank you! And it really is. I will do my best. 

I speak bits of Japanese and Italian, so those would probably be next on my list.  I already speak Russian, French, and obviously English. ^_^  My Japanese used to be better but it's atrophied pretty spectacularly from disuse.  I'd very much like to tackle Mandarin Chinese someday, because I am insane.

I became interested in Italian after I began Spanish--I know they are in the same family but I want to wait until I am conversational in both Spanish and German before I start anything else--and I really have my heart set on Japanese! I was interested in either Mandarin or Cantonese, maybe someday. :) I still would like to learn a little Bangla as well. My fiance is from India--they speak Bangla at home and very little Hindi. So of course all the resources are for Hindi--I think I might have seen one for Tamil as well. His mother speaks English, but she can barely understand my Iowan accent. :)

Thank you all for your warm welcome!

• Like 2

Welcome to Nerd Fitness!

I for one, can completely understand your shyness, at least in real life. See me anywhere out and about, and I'll be the quietest one in the room. Online, likely one of the loudest. (Thanks NF for being accepting of us all!)

Can't wait to see you around! Drop by chat sometime when you're ready, they're all cool in there.

• Like 1

Battlelog

Spreadsheet: House Notes

I've studied Japanese and Mandarin, and I'd say that Japanese grammar is probably more difficult than Mandarin grammar for a native English speaker. The pronunciation of Mandarin is more difficult than Japanese, but the tones aren't that hard to hear once someone explains them. I think that reading Chinese is easier than reading Japanese. But neither one is as hard as overall-blanket-statement-American society seems to think.

Okay, maybe that didn't make much sense. In summary: if you like languages, go for the Mandarin, it's not that hard. (And if you don't like learning languages but it'll look good with your business degree, reconsider.)

Level 2 Elf Assassin

Str: 4 | Dex: 5 | Sta: 3 | Con: 2 | Wis: 4 | Cha: 3

"When people called me freak, I closed my eyes and laughed, because they were blind to happiness." --hide

First challenge! Second challenge! Third challenge!

I've studied Japanese and Mandarin, and I'd say that Japanese grammar is probably more difficult than Mandarin grammar for a native English speaker. The pronunciation of Mandarin is more difficult than Japanese, but the tones aren't that hard to hear once someone explains them. I think that reading Chinese is easier than reading Japanese. But neither one is as hard as overall-blanket-statement-American society seems to think.

Okay, maybe that didn't make much sense. In summary: if you like languages, go for the Mandarin, it's not that hard. (And if you don't like learning languages but it'll look good with your business degree, reconsider.)

That interesting that you say that--I also find things of that nature interesting as well. How languages differ from others and the different ways they can connect together. I just saw that duolingo is doing a Danish beta at the moment (Don't tempt me duo.  :nonchalance: ) I am always excited to see the new languages they add over there.