Hi guys! I've been reading Nerd Fitness on and off for a couple of years and just joined the Academy a few days ago. It's been a long time since I've regularly posted on any forums (the last time was back in 2005 on the Television Without Pity boards), so I'll apologize in advance for any newbie mistakes. 

A bit about me: I'm 38, 5'3", married to an awesome woman and the human to two awesome dogs, and last year I moved back to the DC area after 10 years in Colorado. It was so much easier to live a healthy lifestyle in Colorado, where people are much more focused on fitness, nutrition, and outdoor activities, and every restaurant has locally sourced, organic, vegetarian and vegan options. In DC, people are focused on what you do for a living and my job requires a lot more face time (I'm a lawyer). I've been working out fairly regularly since 2001, although I go through periods where it's hard to get to the gym. I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia several years ago and find that regular exercise, including weight-bearing exercise, is the best way to manage my fibro pain. Sadly, I am one of the rare females who bulk up quickly from lifting - I started a 4 day per week lifting routine a month and a half ago and I've already put on noticeable muscle in my legs, shoulders, and upper arms. I'm switching to a really heavy weight/low rep routine and adding yoga in an attempt to be more lean than bulky. 

Because I'm now locked into a desk job and I'm approaching 40, I've noticed it's harder and harder to fight off my love handles and upper thigh fluffiness. I already eat pretty well and hit the gym 4-5 days per week, so it's a little distressing that I'm not as lean as I'd like to be. I recently got a Fitbit, which is a great motivator to leave my office and take a walk. I've also been incorporating HIIT routines on the elliptical and am cutting back on carbs. I don't want to go full Paleo because I'm the main cook in my house...but I can definitely be Paleo during the workday and watch what I eat at any time. 

My weaknesses are bagels and really good cheese. I work within walking distance of the most wonderful bagel place so that's going to be an ongoing challenge! 

Aeshnidae, The Girl with the Dragonfly Tattoo

Human Ranger

Level 4 | STR 9 | DEX 8 | STA 5 | CON 5 | WIS 8 | CHA 3

Aeshnidae Flips the Bird at Being Sick | Battle Log | Skull Crushers III

Intro Post | MFP | 2nd Challenge

"Fire bad, tree pretty."

"Nothing but the rain..."

Hi Aeshnidae!

I'm in the same boat, with the desk job and work lunches. I think the key for me is going to be better self control when I eat alone, so I have a bit more calorie wiggle room when I'm with others.

Have you tried pilates? I find it a bit more strenuous than yoga, but still requiring no equipment and focused on longer, leaner muscles.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Marla Singer

Level 1 Goblin

Wannabe Assassin

Battle Log

STR 2 | DEX 2 | STA 1 | CON 3 | WIS 0 | CHA 1

I'm the opposite. I think I could pound protein and lift as hard as I want and not gain much. Which might be good in the long term but when you'd like to actually see some results, it can be frustrating. 

I also have a desk job, though my degree is for field work. Grr, I'm having a hard time getting in. Sitting all day, staring at a computer, drives me up the wall and it hurts my back. It's not healthy for any of us.

Ya know, I've never tried pilates and I'm not sure why that is. I should definitely check it out, since I enjoy incorporating yoga moves into my post-workout stretching (and love the Biggest Loser Weight Loss Yoga DVD). I'm good at getting to the gym every week day and good at eating well while alone at my desk. It's the eating out with coworkers that's the bigger challenge, especially since my boss likes to insist that I drink beer with him at lunch (this is not a terrible thing, since I love beer...I just have to factor it into my calorie and carb count for the day). 

I'm almost done with my six week limited carb challenge. My wife wants to switch to a "vegan before 6 pm" and then a mostly vegetarian diet for dinners, at least during the week, so that will be part of my next challenge. I'm teaching her how to chop veggies and such so that she can be my sous chef. ;-)

Aeshnidae, The Girl with the Dragonfly Tattoo

Human Ranger

Level 4 | STR 9 | DEX 8 | STA 5 | CON 5 | WIS 8 | CHA 3

Aeshnidae Flips the Bird at Being Sick | Battle Log | Skull Crushers III

Intro Post | MFP | 2nd Challenge

"Fire bad, tree pretty."

"Nothing but the rain..."