• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hamp21

So.....I think I'm going to enter a Powerlifting Meet

Here is a link: http://www.scusaplmeet.com/

It's about 15 weeks out at this point and I still have 1 week left of my current 5/3/1 cycle so that gives me about 13 to 14 weeks of training. I think my goal is to total 900 lbs. for the meet. At this point it seems like a lofty goal but I'll do my best to make it happen in this time frame. I'm guestimating my current total to be somewhere around 830 or so I think its possible if I keep my diet and training on point.

I plan on using this thread throughout my training and preparation to ask you guys some questions, which I'm sure I will have plenty!! Also if you have any tips etc... feel free to throw'em at me.

Thanks guys

That's pretty exciting. What is your current body weight? I'm not a member of jefit so I can't see your stats.

currently about 185 

which brings me to my first question.

the weight classes go from 165.2 to 181.75lbs  and 181.76 to 198.2

I'm pretty close to making the lower weight class. Should I go for that or not worry about?

Unless you're already trying to lose weight, don't worry about it. Weight class only really matters for individuals for breaking records or medaling. For teams it matters more since you get more points by having someone in each class, but that doesn't apply here.

So at the end of the lifters handbook it has this chart. So if I cut to the lower weight class and make my goal of 900lbs total, then I could be a Class IV according to this federation???? But if I stay in the 90kg weight class then I have to get a 930lb total. Does any of this even matter??

Men         56       60       67.5      75      82.5     90      100     110     125     125+
Elite         525.0  565.0  632.5  692.5  745.0  785.0  827.5  857.5  882.5  917.5 
Master     482.5  520.0  580.0  635.0  682.5  722.5  787.5  810.0  810.0  842.5 
Class I     432.5  465.0  522.5  570.0  612.5  645.0  682.5  705.0  725.0  757.5 
Class II    380.0  410.0  457.5  500.0  540.0  570.0  600.0  620.0  640.0  667.5 
Class III   332.5  357.5  402.5  437.5  470.0  497.5  525.0  542.5  557.5  580.0 
Class IV  290.0  312.5  350.0  380.0  410.0  432.5  455.0  475.0  487.5  507.5 

Nope.

edit: the point of meets for anyone except the elite is to give you a goal date to train for, a known point at which you will test your maximum strength, so that you can optmize everything that goes into your training to hit it. It's more of a celebration of strength than it is a competition, since most of the time you know who's going to win each weight class before anyone even touches the bar.

• Like 1

I wanted to hit 165 for my meet in October really bad, but realized that I'd miss out on an easy 2 more months of training to get there. I'm hanging at about your bodyweight now and shouldn't have any problem doing a quick cut at the end to make the 181. My suggestion is not to sacrifice valuable training time to make weight, not yet anyway.

I'm doing my first meet on October 18th at RPS Annihilation. I'll be sure to give you any insights I can once I get it under my belt.

I usually drop 1-3kg (2-6.5lb) in the week before a competition without really trying because I'm deloading and eating a bit less because I'm not lifting.

Also cutting out salt, drinking lots of water and not eating before the morning weigh in helps.

General advice is to not worry about your weight class for your first meet.  Just go, lift, have fun.  You'll probably end up sitting comfortably in your weight class. 

That being said, you also want to be bigger in your weight class versus smaller.  Ugh.  I hang out around the top of my weight class. BUT I make sure I shave a few pounds off before weigh in so if the scale is off I still come in okay.  I dropped 4 pounds in the days before my last meet.  The scale was over by 3 pounds.  Several of us knew, to the pound, what our weights should be, and we were all +3 on the scale.  So, in my case it was worth it AND honestly, dropping 4 pounds will not affect my lifts. 

In the end, it's your first meet.  You are going for the experience (which is so much fun).  Just go and lift.  Don't over think the rest of it. 

General advice is to not worry about your weight class for your first meet.  Just go, lift, have fun.  You'll probably end up sitting comfortably in your weight class. 

That being said, you also want to be bigger in your weight class versus smaller.  Ugh.  I hang out around the top of my weight class. BUT I make sure I shave a few pounds off before weigh in so if the scale is off I still come in okay.  I dropped 4 pounds in the days before my last meet.  The scale was over by 3 pounds.  Several of us knew, to the pound, what our weights should be, and we were all +3 on the scale.  So, in my case it was worth it AND honestly, dropping 4 pounds will not affect my lifts. 

In the end, it's your first meet.  You are going for the experience (which is so much fun).  Just go and lift.  Don't over think the rest of it. 

How do you know your scale is not 3 lbs under?

How do you know your scale is not 3 lbs under?

Reason 1:  When I had my bf tested at a research lab (not a bod pod), they weighed me and it matched my scale.  I have very little daily fluctuation in weight.  So, we all agreed, my scale could be considered accurate for bw.

Reason 2:  the fighters at my gym have to make weight.  It's a serious business. So they keep the scale calibrated.  My scale at home matches that scale.

Reason 3:  three other lifters knew their weights on scales they trust.  We were all exactly the same amount heavier on the meet scale.  Coincidence is unlikely.  We all did early weigh ins and we'd been monitoring our weight at the end of the day (not first thing). 

In reality, it's 3# and for most lifters, whatever.  BUT if you are really on the edge of a weight class, that could mean something very different.  It really mattered for two of us and didn't matter much for the other person. 

Ok... So I think I am going to put the weight class issue on the back burner until about two weeks out and then decide if its worth it to try and drop a few pounds. 

So I need to get the equipment together, What should I get first (I'm thinking shoes).

Shoes

singlet

wrist wraps???

I dont currently use a belt, but I have one, should I start using it???

What belt do you have? If it's a good 4", 10mm or 13mm then you're good. If not, then the belt is your first buy. I have an EliteFTS P2 lever, and it's a thing of beauty.

Wrist wraps are fairly cheap. I bought a pair of 24" titaniums from Titan and they work well. Wait for EliteFTS to run a sale and you can get them even cheaper.

Shoes do amazing things for my squat, while they are marginal for some other people. If you decide to wear weightlifting shoes, be sure to have a couple months in them before the meet since they will change the mechanics of your squat. Jesse Norris wears VS, which are your cheapest option. That's as much of an endorsement as I would need, but I didn't read about it until after I bought my Ristos.

I still haven't bought a singlet, but I will be soon. Corey's debaccle at the USAPL Open and having to wear a purple singlet got that point across.

First, before you buy anything, check your federation and meet equipment rules.  They vary.  In some federations, knee wraps put you in a different division, etc.  It doesn't really matter, but you want to know now and not later.  For example, if you want to compete raw and the federation calls knee wraps equipment, you'll be in for an ugly surprise when you get there.  So, do your homework. The equipment and divisions should be easy to find. 

Second, if you buy equipment, start using it NOW!  Again, no surprises on lift day.  Actually, at my last meet, there were lots of folks there lifting in regular flat sneakers and with no belt.  Go with what you are happy with. If you currently lift in chucks with no belt, you don't need to change that for a meet.  Change equipment b/c you want to or are ready. But you don't NEED any of the equipment for a meet (unless a singlet is specified, or a t shirt... or socks). 

I lift in lifting shoes b/c that's how I started.  I wear them for all my lifts.  I have do-wins.  If you lift barefoot now, invest either in slippers or some type of footwear that meets federation/meet requirements and start lifting that way now.  Otherwise, you don't need shoes.  That's a training issue.  I like my lifting shoes very much.

wrist wraps are also a training issue.  I don't use them.  Meet requirements vary.  Wraps vary.  Be VERY careful about what you buy.

You do not have to lift in a belt.  That's also a training issue.  If you decide to train now, buy the belt yesterday.  They are not comfortable and take a loooong time to break in.  You will also need to make sure you are using it correctly.  You can go low to high end on belts.  There are many great companies.  Buckle mechanism is personal preference.  They are all fine.  Also, again check the rules to ensure your belt is the right size.  Some federations care.

Singlet - this IS probably something you'll need. Check requirements.  There are also often rules about your... ahem... undergarments for males.  I would recommend one full lifting session in your singlet.  You'll feel utterly stupid.  It gets it over with and gets you used to the stupid thing.  Order in enough time and order the right size.  A singlet forbids pride so make sure the sucker fits.  Also make sure you can get a t shirt under it.  AND check the rules to see if you have to wear a t shirt. 

Also check the rules to see if you have to wear socks for deadlifting (it's considered appropriate to do so). 

In all honesty, unless you NEED the equipment now, I wouldn't stress over it too much.  You're lifting strong and lifting well... just enjoy the meet.  Chat up lifters to figure out what you might want to buy.  Not everyone lifts in fancy shoes or with fancy belts.  Like I said, last meet - lots of guys in just sneaks and no belt. 

You will want to buy some food and water for the day of the meet. :playful:

Damn.  Sorry about that.  Gainsdalf posted and I got a double.  post fail.

Edited by Gainsdalf the Whey
I saw nothing

I mean, it wasn't the blue I thought it was, but royal purple isn't necessarily a debacle. On the plus side, I now look like the hulk when I deadlift whilst wearing a green shirt:

corey1rm2-713x475.jpg

I just remember reading about the scramble to get a fed-legal singlet at the last minute.

Here is the description for Raw lifters from the handbook.

2.9 Raw/Unequipped Equipment Standards 

Raw/Unequipped lifting is defined as using only the following gear and accessories as previously described above:

(a) non-supportive singlet and shirt

(B) briefs

© socks

(d) belt

(e) shoes

(f) commercial wrist wraps

(g) knee sleeves

So it looks like wrist wraps and belts are ok for the Raw competetitors. 

Here is the description of the shoes.

2.6 Shoes or boots

Shoes or boots shall be worn.

(a) Shoes shall be taken to include only Sports Shoes /Sports Boots; W/L, P/L Boots or Deadlift Slippers. The above is referring 

to indoor sports, e.g. wrestling / basketball. Hiking boots and cleated shoes do not fall into this category.

(B) No part of the underside shall be higher than 5 cm.

© The underside must be uniform on both sides.

(d) Loose inner soles that are not part of the manufactured shoe shall be limited to one centimeter thickness

So Chucks are ok according to this rule??

Here is the description for Raw lifters from the handbook.

2.9 Raw/Unequipped Equipment Standards 
Raw/Unequipped lifting is defined as using only the following gear and accessories as previously described above:
(a) non-supportive singlet and shirt
( B) briefs
© socks
(d) belt
(e) shoes
(f) commercial wrist wraps
(g) knee sleeves

So it looks like wrist wraps and belts are ok for the Raw competetitors. 

Make sure your singlet is not supportive.  I ordered the cheapie version from Inzer.  I don't see it on their website now.  But the one they have listed should be fine.  I have the version that looks like a wrestling singlet.  By shirt, they probably mean t shirt but one meet I did let us lift in tanks.  So if you are a tank top lifter, bring a t shirt in case and practice in a t shirt just in case.  Also, wear a plain old cotton t shirt.  No support.

Briefs - that's why I said check.  A lot of guys like those long thingies that have some spandex in them.  You know those longish underwear things that go under long man shorts.   I don't know what you call them, but they are a no go.  A definite nope. 

Knee socks or tube socks or whatever the kids are calling them these days. 

As for wrist wraps - be careful.  Not all wraps are legit.  Also, if you don't lift in them now, no reason to start. 

Knee sleeves = non supportive knee sleeves - like neoprene ones.  Again, if you don't already use them, no need to start. 

Belts are usually okay.  Some federations have size limitations (how wide they can be).

Here is the description of the shoes.

2.6 Shoes or boots
Shoes or boots shall be worn.
(a) Shoes shall be taken to include only Sports Shoes /Sports Boots; W/L, P/L Boots or Deadlift Slippers. The above is referring 
to indoor sports, e.g. wrestling / basketball. Hiking boots and cleated shoes do not fall into this category.
( B) No part of the underside shall be higher than 5 cm.
© The underside must be uniform on both sides.
(d) Loose inner soles that are not part of the manufactured shoe shall be limited to one centimeter thickness

So Chucks are ok according to this rule??

Chucks should be fine.  Just plain chucks - nothing on the inside (added height, etc.). 

Chucks + socks + singlet and briefs + t shirt = WINNING!

They're called boxer briefs, and it sucks that they don't let you have at least cotton ones. I had to buy underwear specifically for the comp.

Chucks are fine, it's what I wear in competition since I'm not allowed to go barefoot.

They're called boxer briefs, and it sucks that they don't let you have at least cotton ones. I had to buy underwear specifically for the comp.

Chucks are fine, it's what I wear in competition since I'm not allowed to go barefoot.

Yup, I have plain black cotton briefs for competition that I never wear otherwise.

(Ignore the t-shirt comment, apparently you don't have to stick to the full IPF rules on that.)

Edited by SpecialSundae