• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hamp21

So.....I think I'm going to enter a Powerlifting Meet

So at the end of the lifters handbook it has this chart. So if I cut to the lower weight class and make my goal of 900lbs total, then I could be a Class IV according to this federation???? But if I stay in the 90kg weight class then I have to get a 930lb total. Does any of this even matter??

Men         56       60       67.5      75      82.5     90      100     110     125     125+

Elite         525.0  565.0  632.5  692.5  745.0  785.0  827.5  857.5  882.5  917.5 

Master     482.5  520.0  580.0  635.0  682.5  722.5  787.5  810.0  810.0  842.5 

Class I     432.5  465.0  522.5  570.0  612.5  645.0  682.5  705.0  725.0  757.5 

Class II    380.0  410.0  457.5  500.0  540.0  570.0  600.0  620.0  640.0  667.5 

Class III   332.5  357.5  402.5  437.5  470.0  497.5  525.0  542.5  557.5  580.0 

Class IV  290.0  312.5  350.0  380.0  410.0  432.5  455.0  475.0  487.5  507.5

Wait- are those numbers the total weights for single reps on the big 3 or have I missed something?

Aaaaah, that makes more sense.

I optimistically thought they were in lbs. You can guess the confidence roller coaster I have just been on in the past 10mins.

Yea that happened to me back in March. Thing is I knew it was kg but my eyes and brains wouldn't match up.

Subbed as I've also made a similar decision, just no date as of yet

They're called boxer briefs, and it sucks that they don't let you have at least cotton ones. I had to buy underwear specifically for the comp.

Chucks are fine, it's what I wear in competition since I'm not allowed to go barefoot.

Couple guys at one of the meets I was at ended up commando...in a singlet, cause their briefs were compression/Under Armour style.  As cline said, get over it.

and second/third everything here.  Have fun.  Any equipment you want to use (including the singlet) order early.  In my experience, the singlets run WAY small.  I wear an xl of most stuff.  a 2xl is uncomfortably tight, though I have a long torso.

They're called boxer briefs, and it sucks that they don't let you have at least cotton ones. I had to buy underwear specifically for the comp.

Chucks are fine, it's what I wear in competition since I'm not allowed to go barefoot.

One of the myriad reasons that I'll never lift in the USAPL/IPF. Raw Unity is exclusive enough to have an underwear rule but the IPF needs to get over itself.

One of the myriad reasons that I'll never lift in the USAPL/IPF. Raw Unity is exclusive enough to have an underwear rule but the IPF needs to get over itself.

The strict rules are all about trying to ensure a level playing field in terms of equipment for raw/classic competitors.

I'm pretty much okay with that even if it means I have to wear granny pants.

Potentially getting DQed for wearing unauthorized branded t-shirts or belts doesn't strike me as being interested in a level playing field. Don't even get me started on rule 14.9. I love the strict judging of the IPF. They call high squats, and you can trust that a record is a legit record. The corporatism and politics of the fed bother me, though. I'll give my money to a fed dedicated to the sport and not profit.

Apologies, OP. Ending the derail.

Potentially getting DQed for wearing unauthorized branded t-shirts or belts doesn't strike me as being interested in a level playing field. Don't even get me started on rule 14.9. I love the strict judging of the IPF. They call high squats, and you can trust that a record is a legit record. The corporatism and politics of the fed bother me, though. I'll give my money to a fed dedicated to the sport and not profit.

Apologies, OP. Ending the derail.

Don't get me wrong, I disagree with the amount that people have to pay to be an authorised brand, but it's like school uniform - you stick to the rules or you get sent home. You aren't forced to wear a branded t-shirt/singlet and unbranded ones are cheaper usually.

I'd rather see one fed for powerlifting the way it is for weightlifting. Having all these different feds isn't good for the sport as a whole (particularly having untested feds).

The federations are weird.  But in the end, nobody is making anybody do this.... so...... we are choosing to participate. 

And in the end, buying one pair of underwear to compete is hardly a big deal.  Silly... yeah.  But let's face it, so is the singlet.  And cheaters cheat and will always cheat and if the federation does something... anything... to try to control it for those of us who don't cheat.. well... meh. 

I agree with Sundae - sports have rules about gear and equipment and if you don't like it, don't play.  I do another sport and we have rules about what gear we can bring just to train.  There's a reason and people can gripe, but there's a reason.  And when people don't bring the right gear, they aren't allowed to play. 

I think we should start a singlet thread.... lol.

Don't get me wrong, I disagree with the amount that people have to pay to be an authorised brand, but it's like school uniform - you stick to the rules or you get sent home. You aren't forced to wear a branded t-shirt/singlet and unbranded ones are cheaper usually.

I'd rather see one fed for powerlifting the way it is for weightlifting. Having all these different feds isn't good for the sport as a whole (particularly having untested feds).

I'd love to see one fed too, and that's what the IPF is constantly pushing for, but they start doing it in underhanded ways. For example, if you compete in another fed, you're banned from competing in the IPF feds for a year. Read a big article that calls them out on it one time, really interesting.

The problem is that there are so many variations of powerlifting that people like to do, they needs feds or competitions for all of them. Raw, Geared, Raw with wraps, straps/no straps, tested/untested. If someone wants to get in a giant rubber band suit and compete after injecting steroids in themselves for years, there should be a place for that. If people want to compete in absolutely no gear, there should be a spot for that too. We'll never have one fed for this reason, and never be an Olympic sport like some want (due to this and that they already have a lifting sport).

I'd love to see one fed too, and that's what the IPF is constantly pushing for, but they start doing it in underhanded ways. For example, if you compete in another fed, you're banned from competing in the IPF feds for a year. Read a big article that calls them out on it one time, really interesting.

The problem is that there are so many variations of powerlifting that people like to do, they needs feds or competitions for all of them. Raw, Geared, Raw with wraps, straps/no straps, tested/untested. If someone wants to get in a giant rubber band suit and compete after injecting steroids in themselves for years, there should be a place for that. If people want to compete in absolutely no gear, there should be a spot for that too. We'll never have one fed for this reason, and never be an Olympic sport like some want (due to this and that they already have a lifting sport).

Why should people be allowed to compete untested? They don't in any other sport.

Equipped and wraps can be argued either way, but PEDs aren't acceptable in any other sport really so federations who allow it aren't really doing powerlifting any favours.

Why should people be allowed to compete untested? They don't in any other sport.

Equipped and wraps can be argued either way, but PEDs aren't acceptable in any other sport really so federations who allow it aren't really doing powerlifting any favours.

Who are we to stop the Biomen from getting together and competing if they like? There's enough of them out there that don't have an issue with using steroids to turn themselves into hulks that I don't see an issue with them competing together, hence an untested federation. I do have an issue with them competing under the guise that they're not on anything in a fed that doesn't allow it, that's cheating.

Do you find many company softball teams (or whatever the Scottish equivalent) testing their athletes? Fundamentally, powerlifting is the same thing. There are no pros in the same respect as professional baseball. The elite typically own gyms and have endorsements, but no one is getting paid six figures by their team, because it doesn't exist. As a result, federations need to cater to the athletes, not to the fans, stockholders, or even public. We have mutliple feds because people don't like the IPF, and it's not just because of their drug testing policies.

Gear is used untested in bodybuilding, powerlifting, strongman, and every other amateur sport where there isn't enough interest to bother. That ignores that drug testing is more like IQ testing, and to think that the top lifters in the IPF are clean is ludicrous.

Do you find many company softball teams (or whatever the Scottish equivalent) testing their athletes? Fundamentally, powerlifting is the same thing. There are no pros in the same respect as professional baseball. The elite typically own gyms and have endorsements, but no one is getting paid six figures by their team, because it doesn't exist. As a result, federations need to cater to the athletes, not to the fans, stockholders, or even public. We have mutliple feds because people don't like the IPF, and it's not just because of their drug testing policies.

Gear is used untested in bodybuilding, powerlifting, strongman, and every other amateur sport where there isn't enough interest to bother. That ignores that drug testing is more like IQ testing, and to think that the top lifters in the IPF are clean is ludicrous.

No, but you'd also be hard-pressed to find anyone in a company football team (the closest equivalent) who would even consider using drugs to improve their game (beyond a pint or two afterwards).

I don't pretend to think that all lifters in IPF are clean, but outright condoning PED use brings discredit onto any sport which does so.

@Special Sunday

Just so you know I agree with you.  There was another thread on here a while back that turned into fairly pro-SPED.  It shocked me a bit and is one of the reasons I have slowly started backing away from the board.

We're not pro-gear. We're pro-choice. We don't find ourselves in a position that we feel we can dictate how people train and compete on their own dime for their own entertainment.

More of this ^^^ for me than anything else.  I'm kind of "meh... it happens in every sport" even in the big pro sports. 

I kind of feel that people will do it no matter what.  Doesn't bother me.  In the end, in lifting, we are more competing against our last meet than anything else. 

And for 99.999999% of us... it doesn't matter.  We are not elite lifters or competitors so if some dude squatting 700# is using and equipped.... well... whatever.  I'm not going to be at that level.

It's not condoning.  It's just what it is.  People use all sorts of drugs in all sorts of ways.  Lots of people use sleeping pills and aren't "raw" sleepers.  Lots of people use pain pills and Rx off label - they are not "raw".  Meh.  If people are taking sleeping pills and their spouses' muscle relaxers after a hard day of lifting so they can recover faster, do I really care? 

In the end, even if the dude is on PEDs, he's still squatting 700#.  PEDs will catch up to him.  He knows that.  It's a choice he's made.

I know of a few people using at my gym (and I'm sure there are plenty more I don't know about).  Meh.  Whatever.  It really doesn't bother me. 

It just (literally) dawned on me why....

You can't PED your way out of lousy programming and no training.  I think that's why it doesn't really bother me.

Lance Armstrong (I know... whatever get over it) was still, no matter what, an amazing cyclist.  Yeah, he cheated.  Okay.  He did.  I would have rather he competed in an untested category and called it a day.  But no matter what, cyclist #1000 in the world would have never won the tour.  Lance had everything in his corner and PEDs helped (yeah I agree it was cheating) but they didn't make him an exceptional cyclist. 

Same is true with body building or lifting.  You can't just shoot PEDs and become a winner. 

And I know, personally, plenty of record holders who are natural and unequipped. 

Honestly, I'm a little shocked at the level of support for the use of PEDs on here.

We're not pro-gear. We're pro-choice. We don't find ourselves in a position that we feel we can dictate how people train and compete on their own dime for their own entertainment.

I'm not condoning it. I would never put them in my own body and never recommend anyone else put it in theirs. I would never be ok with someone competing in the IPF while using PEDs, though I'm sure it happens.

Like El Exorcisto said, I'm simply pro-choice on the matter. Just because I don't think the risks to your health are worth the benefits gained from PEDs, it doesn't mean I'm going to judge someone else for using them because those risks are worth it in their minds. Those people are out there, and if they want to compete in a sport, I'm ok with it, as long as it's not in a federatuib where the agreement among the competitors is not to use PEDs, and they would gain an unfair advantage. That's cheating, and that's wrong.

If they want to all get togther in a powerlifting federation that straight out says that it does not test and that PEDs are not illegal, and hence it's assumed everyone competing in that fed is using them, I have no issue with it. People should be able to do whatever makes them happy and not be hampered by that as long as it isn't at the detriment or harm of anyone else. I don't think it brings discredit onto the sport because it that case they wouldn't be participating in a "clean" federation. I don't think it would even bring discredit to their federation, because they are open and honest about it. The whole cheating aspect would be taken away at that point.

I'm fairly liberal and have the same beliefs on most personal choices where it comes to unhealthy things like smoking, doing drugs, or drinking. As long as you're doing it in a way that doesn't put anyone else in danger (getting by behind the wheel while intoxicated or high for example) or take something away from them (a fair competition in powerlifting in this case), I'm fine with it. It's your choice.

I'm fairly liberal and have the same beliefs on most personal choices where it comes to unhealthy things like smoking, doing drugs, or drinking. As long as you're doing it in a way that doesn't put anyone else in danger (getting by behind the wheel while intoxicated or high for example) or take something away from them (a fair competition in powerlifting in this case), I'm fine with it. It's your choice.

^^ This.

I used to be fairly cool with the "It's a persons own choice" mentality, but by this point, I've seen a fair bit too much that shows how manipulable those choices are.

As someone who smoked regularly I was pretty offended by the anti-smoking bans put in place, completely unaware of how bothersome the smell and such could be to others. I also would have been bothered by raising the legal age of smoking to 21. Now, I actually wouldn't mind seeing it. Having an extra three years where maintaining a pack a day habit would have been harder would have been beneficial to my health, and not having to smell it and fight cravings in restaurants is convenient for someone quitting, as well as for those who've never started. Learning more about how companies work to get consumers addicted to their products, from cigarettes to food, (Did you know Phillip Morris bought Kraft foods?) leads me to believe that a fair number of for-profit companies understand addiction, and use it to make money.

When it came to PEDs, I had a similar mindset, it's a persons choice, if it keeps them healthier ect. The thing is, I'm seeing far more evidence where use of PEDs degrade the persons long term health. The articles I read show a huge cost, and the thing to me is this, most participants aren't champions. You want to say, that getting a gold medal or a superbowl ring or a strongman title is worth the cost? Look at the number of kids who never made it, who never made it that far and never will. They're paying the cost without getting the reward.

So yeah. You want to do PEDs? No skin off my nose, but I don't want to see an "untested" federation. I don't want to see the guys who might've stayed clean consider that the  "honest federation." Are the tests easy to beat? Maybe, but that tells me that better testing is needed, not that there's no point.