• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hamp21

So.....I think I'm going to enter a Powerlifting Meet

When it came to PEDs, I had a similar mindset, it's a persons choice, if it keeps them healthier ect. The thing is, I'm seeing far more evidence where use of PEDs degrade the persons long term health. The articles I read show a huge cost, and the thing to me is this, most participants aren't champions. You want to say, that getting a gold medal or a superbowl ring or a strongman title is worth the cost? Look at the number of kids who never made it, who never made it that far and never will. They're paying the cost without getting the reward.

So yeah. You want to do PEDs? No skin off my nose, but I don't want to see an "untested" federation. I don't want to see the guys who might've stayed clean consider that the  "honest federation." Are the tests easy to beat? Maybe, but that tells me that better testing is needed, not that there's no point.

It's a person's choice, regardless of its affect on the health.

And yeah, with a quick google search, untested feds alredy exist, as I suspected they would.

It's a person's choice, regardless of its affect on the health.

And yeah, with a quick google search, untested feds alredy exist, as I suspected they would.

Untested feds exist, that doesn't mean that it's a good thing for the sport overall.

Untested feds exist, that doesn't mean that it's a good thing for the sport overall.

Doesn't matter what's good for the sport. If there's enough people out there on PEDs that want to lift in an untested fed, which there apparently are, it'll happen and no one is going to stop it. Read a little bit of the history behind the APF, and from what I gather, this very topic of tested/untested is why its orginal members split off from the IPF in the first place. This caused a chain reaction of a bunch of feds splitting off with their own rules and seems to be the major catalyst for why, at least in the US, there will never be a single unified federation.

There are all sorts of people in all sorts of sports over training and/or doing PEDs.  It's hardly unique and they aren't going to be champions.  And yeah... it's widely known that PEDs are not a good choice for your body.  Then again, neither is swilling 20 beers in a night or gorging on ice cream for 2 weeks straight.  We all make a lot of choices.  Some good, some bad - but all personal choices. 

My understanding of the APF is the same as Gainsdalf's.  Also, I can tell you a lot of the top guys are clean and they just deal with the competition.  PEDs are not a magic bullet. 

And the meets I lifted in - ain't nobody tested.  So yeah.... Nobody bitched about it either.  Testing is in the ruies of at the mercy of the judges.

There are all sorts of people in all sorts of sports over training and/or doing PEDs.  It's hardly unique and they aren't going to be champions.  And yeah... it's widely known that PEDs are not a good choice for your body.  Then again, neither is swilling 20 beers in a night or gorging on ice cream for 2 weeks straight.  We all make a lot of choices.  Some good, some bad - but all personal choices. 

My understanding of the APF is the same as Gainsdalf's.  Also, I can tell you a lot of the top guys are clean and they just deal with the competition.  PEDs are not a magic bullet. 

And the meets I lifted in - ain't nobody tested.  So yeah.... Nobody bitched about it either.  Testing is in the ruies of at the mercy of the judges.

The USAPL one I was in I believe they tested anyone who placed.

They do random tests at the meets I go to. Five tested and clean at the unequipped championships in June, not sure how many at the one a couple of weeks ago.

They definitely test at nationals.

Yeah, I think at least one was "winners tested" or record breakers tested or something but nobody was.  In reality, there was one bathroom and no cups, no gloves, nothing remotely sterile, etc.  Nobody peed in a cup. 

There was a revocation in Colorado last year at one of the USAW meets of somebody's win due to failing testing, but I suppose that is USAW (Not even a regional competition, just random testing at a small meet)

Yes, drugs tests are basically IQ tests at higher levels, that doesn't mean that they aren't a deterrent for many.

And people have also been banned for failing tests at smaller meets here. 

• Like 1

We do things that aren't about our health. I'm laid up for another few days because my hips are fucked because I thought it was a good idea to put some more weight on my back. Our actions under the bar aren't healthy, and no one is complaining. Health isn't an argument for telling someone what they can and cannot due.

If there was a meet around the corner held by a tested fed that wasn't stuck on themselves, like 100% RAW, I would compete in it. I'm not, however, going to bitch about other feds that aren't tested being unfair. The only people that would complain about it are the people that know they will always be too weak to stand up to someone who committed more fully to the sport. Period.

Everyone cheered when Mark Mcguire smashed the home run record. No one wants to see small American football players. Pro wrestling lives and dies by enormous men doing things that only the chemically enhanced could dream of. To think gear isn't everywhere and known about by the general public, is just gullibility. For shit's sake, Arnold is still the idol of every red blooded American male a full 25 years after his prime.

I am going to say that saying that everybody's actions under the bar are unhealthy is a load of bull-honky.

I am way healthier when I lift than I don't. I had shitty knees and back, I am not in pain when I lift properly.  People egos getting in the way is not a general reason I find to support anything and I sort of feel like it degrades the sport on the whole.  It perpetuates a stupid stereotype of the meatheads that just care about being bigger at any cost.  That is not what strength training is for me and I am sure a great many other, so don't spread your bull like it is everybody.

Also wasn't the price of the platform article just posted in here? Also have any of you looked into the studies of the effects of the PEDs on high school sports programming. It absolutely is effecting other things which is where I take issue.

I also feel it hurts the legitimate, medical uses for Steroids and HGH.  I have heard many of the general populace make comments about how HGH is purely a negative and evil thing much due to these macho stereo-types related to them and their abuse in the sporting world.  We have friends whose daughter needs to take HGH due to a chromosomal disorder to be able to have CHANCE to function as an adult.  So it rubs me the wrong way when people feel entitled to things or say that is what everybody wants and belittles the actual medical functions.

Saying that if anybody has dissenting opinions on the subject  they are weak and have a wounded superego issue is purely moronic at best.

Lol does anyone remember that this was supposed to be a thread about helping the OP with a powerlifting meet and the what?

Who knew talks about singlets and tightey whiteys could start such a heated conversation

Chill out a little or I'm going to have to put my moderator hat on. This is supposed to be a constructive, polite conversation, and name calling is neither of those things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just consider it practice for when hobbit #2 arrives...

At one point a made a rule that all insults had to be multi syllable and not repeating words.

Just consider it practice for when hobbit #2 arrives...

At one point a made a rule that all insults had to be multi syllable and not repeating words.

totally plan on getting one of these. Wish I could come up with something similar that would work over the interwebs...

306692_437908062932788_1313101037_n.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol does anyone remember that this was supposed to be a thread about helping the OP with a powerlifting meet and the what?

Who knew talks about singlets and tightey whiteys could start such a heated conversation

so basically you just want to talk about underwear?  Right?  ;-)

Tighty whiteys will always cause a heated conversation. 

There was a revocation in Colorado last year at one of the USAW meets of somebody's win due to failing testing, but I suppose that is USAW (Not even a regional competition, just random testing at a small meet)

USAW is an entirely different discussion. As an Olympic sport they fall under the purview of USADA which includes non-announced random (including out of competition) testing for athletes in the qualifying pools for international teams. And let's just say that they believe in what they do and pursue their mission with immense fervor and zeal (see: Armstrong). There are certainly dirty Olympians and Olympic hopefuls in all the sports but it's a lot harder to skirt than your average PL competition testing.

As for the rest of the discussion, lulz. No, not everything we do with a barbell is inherently unhealthy. It's a matter of context and degrees. Sure after a certain point down the performance curve there are going to be tradeoffs but your average trainee using the barbell to fix imbalances, asymmetries, overall weaknesses and poor movement or fend off the trials of aging like sarcopenia and osteoporosis, they're going to be much better off with the bar than without. The arguments and applications for healthy barbell work are legion.

And yes, it's easy to go too far and once you're squatting more than double body weight the health benefits probably start to be offset by the orthopedic damage at some point. However, Paul Carter recently had an article about elbow pain and he mentioned that he has never had knee issues and attributed that to the fact that he learned how to squat correctly early on. I think that's a big take home point. Most of the problems with barbell training are simply people doing it wrong.

There are plenty of folks who reach the elite levels in their prime and continue lifting well past seeing their peers resigned to wheelchairs and assisted living. Even though I'll never be elite, I still want to see just how far I can push myself and I'll take the chance and trade a little back pain for the ability to actually move later on.

At the risk of becoming a Dan John parrot, he wrote most people's goal, whether they realize it or not, is to walk to the mailbox on the day they die. Sure there are plenty of ways to accomplish this feat but done right barbell training can contribute towards it significantly.

Context. Proper application of means.

Some examples of old timers still killing it for funz.

This is the most recent vid I could find of Fred, three time Olympian in the 60's-70's, but suffice it to say he was competing as recently as last year at 68 years young. And still snatching more than your average meathead could muster on the spot.

Or an 80 year old Ivan Abadjiev aka "The Butcher" and father of the ubiquitous Bulgarian System widely renowned for both its effectiveness and its ability to chew through weightlifters. Eighty years old and still snatching better than 75% of people that pick up a barbell and actually try to pursue the lifts.

Haha no worries. I'm just sitting back and watching the show  :playful: and for the record no PEDs for me. Just creatine

I was lucky enough to find a pair of BNIB Romaleos for £90 last year, so go with those, but I have never heard anything against the Adidas Powerlift II. I see lots of other lifters wearing them.

The basic singlets look fine, but if you're unsure you could always do what I've done in the past and fire a quick email or PM to the meet organisers to check before you buy. Maybe I'm lucky, but I've always found that the committees/organisers I've met would rather have lifters ask for advice than go with uncertainty.

I've been pestering the organiser of the British Classic with loads of questions and he has been so nice!

Also, Eastbay will often time have 20% off sales and these do apply to their stock of lifting shoes. I have a Pair of Nike Romaleos2 and love them.  I hit a Pre-Christmas Sale on eastbay and got them for around 145.  Definitely worth typing in the code :)