• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hamp21

So.....I think I'm going to enter a Powerlifting Meet

If you go the powerlift 2.0 route, 2 things. First, get used to using them for awhile. I hear squatting with the raised heel make a good bit of difference and you'll want to be used to it before trying max attempts at it. Wear them every time you squat from now on and make sure you've got 10-20 squatting workouts under your belt before maxing in the.

Second, you're gooing to want something else for DLing as you want your heel as close to the ground as possible on that one. There is the chucks route, or you can simply get deadlift slippers. nice one about those is that they're similar enough to barefeet that you can keep training barefoot if that's your MO (it's mine) and just wear them on meet day.

The Powerlift 2.0s have a shorter than usual heel at 1/2" instead of 3/4". I've read a few forum reviews on them and they are all generally positive.

I have pretty good mobility in my squats so I wouldn't think that I need the higher heel. Is that correct?

The higher the heel the more your knees will drift forward, pulling the quads into the game a little more at the expense of the glutes. I think it's more a matter of how you are stronger once the heel isn't about being able to hit depth.

Brandon Campbell had a decent review of them on YouTube. I was looking into them myself as they are on the inexpensive side compared to a lot of the more popular ones.

From what I read you'll want to upgrade when you can but they are great beginner squat shoes.

Let me know how you like them if you get them

shoes are tough.  They are really personal.  I have do-wins which are not sexy but soooo many people I know lift in them.  They are great for a powerlifter.  They will not win you style or cool points unless you are training with a very particular crowd.  They do not come in pretty colors.

I also DL in mine.  I was taught to deadlift in them by people who know what they are doing.  So again, it's a personal choice.  I LOVE DLing in them.  I know a lot of people who DL barefoot or in chucks.  It's just a choice. 

Truth be told, I bench in them too. 

So get a couple pair, knowing you can return them.  Try them on and do a few body weight squats.  See where they pinch, how the toes, feel, what height you like, etc.  People are really different. 

Also, consider this.... just consider...not changing anything you  are doing right now until after your meet.  If you are doing really well now.... well... you know the old "rule" in sports about trying new things.

As for singlets, I got cheapie inzer brand that looked something like this:

tumblr_mj7or1Sk8g1qdf41ao1_500.jpg

Any thoughts on this??? I am considering this starting 9 weeks out from the comp. Its simple with lots of volume for the big 3. and at this point I have realized that I need some time doing heavy singles or doubles. so the last phase would have me doing just that for 4 striaight weeks. I have also readjusted my goal. I originally was aiming for 900lb total, but I think I just want to hit my current total ~830 or so by the second attempt on all lifts and then go for broke on the last attempt.

http://muscleandbrawn.com/9-week-powerlifting-periodization-peaking-workout/

Hamp, you're overthinking this for a first meet. You're still beginner enough that you do not need a 9 week peaking program. That's for advanced lifters. I wouldn't even really consider doing that yet. MAYBE for Chairohkey. Keep doing a program that has worked best for you and use those first 6 weeks to keep building strength. If it's a 3x5 program, instead of 3x5, try doing something like ramping up to a heavy double for the heavy practice, then dropping down to the 3x5 weight for 1-2 sets. 3 weeks out, practice heavy singles. 2 weeks out, hit your openers 1-2 times that week. Last week, keep it light.

The most important thing you can do right now is practice the signals, and go in with a plan to hit your first two attempts and go for broke on the third. First attempt is something you can double or triple normally to make sure you put something on the board. Second attempt is about 96-98% of your current PR if the opener felt good. Third attempt is to improve or match your PR based on how the second felt.

Hamp, you're overthinking this for a first meet. You're still beginner enough that you do not need a 9 week peaking program. That's for advanced lifters. I wouldn't even really consider doing that yet. MAYBE for Chairohkey. Keep doing a program that has worked best for you and use those first 6 weeks to keep building strength. If it's a 3x5 program, instead of 3x5, try doing something like ramping up to a heavy double for the heavy practice, then dropping down to the 3x5 weight for 1-2 sets. 3 weeks out, practice heavy singles. 2 weeks out, hit your openers 1-2 times that week. Last week, keep it light.

The most important thing you can do right now is practice the signals, and go in with a plan to hit your first two attempts and go for broke on the third. First attempt is something you can double or triple normally to make sure you put something on the board. Second attempt is about 96-98% of your current PR if the opener felt good. Third attempt is to improve or match your PR based on how the second felt.

Touche....nervous excitement and downtime at work leads to a lot of googling

I'll just stay the course with 5/3/1. Thanks for bringing me back to earth

At most you might want to throw in some heavy singles as joker sets just to get a feel for heavier weight. Don't do it every day, and don't try to smash PRs, just use them to get used to more weight than you would normally be repping out. If you end up feeling like a monster, then by all means break a PR, but don't force it.

I'm sloppy and don't really prepare for meets.  Just keep lifting up til the week before, though I will swing towards more heavy singles or doubles instead of trying for triples and quints.

Week of, for the squat, I like to walk out what my attempts will be a couple times, just to get used to the weight.  Since my squat and deadlift are about the same, it works for that as well.

I'll edge up to the bench as well, just to make sure I'm not going to embarrass myself.

It's really odd, but one thing to remember is that it will take about a week to recover from a meet, or anytime you try to do max effort on all three lifts.  That means you can't do maxes in the weeks before a meet.

So just a quick question on diet.

I should be eating, at a minimum, at my maintenance calories correct? currently calculated at around 2500. 

I think you're fine there.  You're lifting in the class over 181 right?  So you are comfortable there.   You even have room to have a few good meals if you want.  Fuel well. 

Anybody have experience with these?

http://www.amazon.com/Wushu-Shoes-Black-Feiyue-Brand/dp/B000HHN4XQ/ref=sr_1_4?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1410394744&sr=1-4

They are shoes for martial arts. There were a few reviews that said they were good for squats and dead lifts. And at that price point they are pretty enticing.

My only concern would be if they were be allowed during a meet. I would assume they are OK.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

UPDATE:

so I'm about 6 weeks out. I just received my shoes yesterday and used them for the first time today. I went with the Powerlift 2.0. I heard all of the downsides etc... but couldn't get past the price point. I'm hoping it works out for me. as for today this week is my deload week in 5/3/1 so squats and deadlift were light but I did feel a difference, and I liked it. I think I made the right decision.

I haven't signed up for the meet yet. waiting until Nov. 1st but no later than the 10th to become a member of IPF so my membership will last through next year and sign up for the meet before the 10th so I get a t-shirt. everybody loves a t-shirt. here's a shot of the shirt (dont know why the image is so BIG).

1-dc7a6637e2.png

My next item of business is the change my programming a bit. I'm kinda getting tired of 5/3/1. I also dont like the limited frequency of 5/3/1 using a 3 day a week plan. I did modify it a bit, which helped but I still think I could do a little more. this is what I currently do.

Mon.

Squat starting strength style 3x5

OHP 5/31

accessories

Wed. 

Squat

Deadlift 5/3/1

accessories (usually Kroc rows)

Fri

Squat 

Bench 5/3/1

Accessories

so as you can see I modified it a bit. 5/3/1 just wasnt cutting it for me with the squat. my first two cycles I struggled getting 255 for 1 rep (I ended SS with around 260 3x5). now that I switched back to a SS style program I did 250 for 3x5 last Friday (had to work myself back up). So I know we recommend people to switch completely off of one program to another on this forum. but this hybrid kept me going for longer. just my 2 cents.

So after some research I think I'm going to move on to Phraks Greyskull LP. But instead of doing 2x5 1x5+, I'm going to do 2x3 1x3+ and then one heavy single based on the 1x3+ set. I have yet to work in any heavy singles, so I think now is the time. I'm going to lower the weights and set up the progression to have me end up at my current training maxes 1 week before the meet. I'm not planning on breaking any records so I figure that I'm comfortable where I'm at now, but I want to make sure that for the meet I am solid at my current training maxes (and then try to push a little bit on my 3rd attempt)

so TL;DR

still on track

got my shoes powerlift 2.0s

Signing up for my meet between Nov. 1st and Nov. 10th

Switching from 5/3/1 to a modified version of Phraks Greyskull LP

• Like 1

Sounds like a plan. Good luck. If you want to keep the volume up when you first lower the weights, you could do 5 sets instead of 3 sets of the triples to get the same volume as 3x5. Once the weight starts getting heavier again, drop down on the sets so you can recover properly.

Well I guess I'm out of this one. Just emailed the guy and he said the roster is full. There were 20 spots open on Nov 1st. I asked him to let me know if a spot opens up. Best I can do I guess. Maybe I'll volunteer as a spotter

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

That's a bugger.

Definitely help out if you can. Great way to get your name in the good books.

And always sign up early if you're sure you want to compete. This happens quite a bit 'round me at least...