• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hamp21

So.....I think I'm going to enter a Powerlifting Meet

Yeah I found some wrestling singlets for around 30 bucks or so on Amazon and Eastbay, but this was definitely the cheapest powerlifting specific one I found.

training is going pretty good. I switched to Greyskull and modified the rep scheme from 5 reps to 3 and added a heavy single as the last set. I'm feeling really confident in my lifts at this point. I've made pretty good progress on my squats, which have always been a problem for me. so I'm happy with that.

My initial goal was to hit 900 lbs total. I think I'm going to miss it by just a bit.

my current lifts are 

bench - 200 with competition pause

squat - 285 (today for a PR!!)

Deadlift - 335

if the meet were tomorrow I would go for this

Squat - 265/285/300

Bench - 190/200/ 210?

Dead - 325/340/350 or 360

So I could total 870 but more like 830 or so.

If you plan on competing in an IPF affiliate you'l want to make sure your belt and singlet are also on the approved list.

If you plan on competing in an IPF affiliate you'l want to make sure your belt and singlet are also on the approved list.

I'm competing with RPS this time. but the Singlet is IPF approved and I dont use a belt. *gasp* I know, but I plan on using a belt after the competition. It's just too close to the comp to change anything now.

Ok so, I'm a week out and just thought I would ask some random questions. 

1 - So I'm pretty sure I will be first up... and second... and third with my attempts. Is it bad form to use the whole amount of time between lifts?

2 - I'm pretty sure the squat is a monolift. I've never used one. should I still walk it out since that is what I'm used to?

3 - of the commands, I am the most worried about the bench command. I call the commands out in my head, but at the meet the command will be called out by the judge and I'm not sure how focused on the lift I will be. Which could lead to me not hearing the command. is this something I should worry about? I dont want to focus too much on hearing the command that I miss the lift.

that's what I got for now, I may have more later.

1 - So I'm pretty sure I will be first up... and second... and third with my attempts. Is it bad form to use the whole amount of time between lifts?

2 - I'm pretty sure the squat is a monolift. I've never used one. should I still walk it out since that is what I'm used to?

3 - of the commands, I am the most worried about the bench command. I call the commands out in my head, but at the meet the command will be called out by the judge and I'm not sure how focused on the lift I will be. Which could lead to me not hearing the command. is this something I should worry about? I dont want to focus too much on hearing the command that I miss the lift.

1) This sin't like weightlifting, you don't follow yourself. You'll be first up each time for each round of lifts. You'll go first, and then the bar will increase and everyone will do their first attempts, then will reset down to your second.

2) I'm actually not sure with this. I would reset your feet like you did if you walked it out once the arms are away, but I don't think it's good form to actually step backward. Feelit out during warm ups.

3) It wasn't an issue for me the first time. I took nice long pauses in trianing though to make sure I had the ability to wait. I also had wifey come in and give the commands once or twice with my heavy singles leading up to the comp.  Someone will probably be more than willing to help you practice having someone else giving commands during warm ups if you tell them it's your first time. Anyone you're bringing as your "coach"? I brought nightlight to help me do everything at my meet even though she doesn't actually coach me, and it was incredibly helpful.

In the referee guidelines we're told to do a mental "One onethousand" count once the bar is stationary on the chest and then give the press command.

In training I'll go up to my second with a 3 count pause, just to be sure.

1 - You can only be first up. The group then goes round and THEN you do your second attempt. You'll have loads of time between lifts.

2 - Can't help much but no point in walking out if you don't have to.

3 - Ask someone to call for you during warm-ups and (ideally) get someone to do calls for you in your last training sessions. You're better missing the lift because you've been listening for the command (it's usually pretty clear) than missing it because you ignored the command.

1) This sin't like weightlifting, you don't follow yourself. You'll be first up each time for each round of lifts. You'll go first, and then the bar will increase and everyone will do their first attempts, then will reset down to your second.

2) I'm actually not sure with this. I would reset your feet like you did if you walked it out once the arms are away, but I don't think it's good form to actually step backward. Feelit out during warm ups.

3) It wasn't an issue for me the first time. I took nice long pauses in trianing though to make sure I had the ability to wait. I also had wifey come in and give the commands once or twice with my heavy singles leading up to the comp.  Someone will probably be more than willing to help you practice having someone else giving commands during warm ups if you tell them it's your first time. Anyone you're bringing as your "coach"? I brought nightlight to help me do everything at my meet even though she doesn't actually coach me, and it was incredibly helpful.

Ok Cool I thought each flight finished all of their attempts at once and the weight just increased to the next highest and if you just so happened to be the next weight you had to follow yourself. This is much better

2 - I like the reset the feet idea, I'll test it out during warmups

3- no coach for me everyone's busy that day and I need my wife in the crowd with the camera

And you don't have to do it "right" when they say it.  It's more of a 

lift off, lock out, hold... "Go".....lower the bar to your chest and hold...."press".....press and lockout...."rack"

so obviously it's in your best interest to not wait any longer than you have to since you're expending energy, but there is no penalty for waiting a few seconds til you're ready.  There is usually a time limit from the time they say "bar loaded" until you complete the lift (60 seconds?), but it is rare to see anyone take more than 30 seconds.

3- no coach for me everyone's busy that day and I need my wife in the crowd with the camera

Don't be surprised if you pick up a volunteer during warmups. I've always had someone offer to help me and offered to help others.  

Which federation is your meet in (I didn't read through the whole thread, maybe you mentioned it already)? I just lifted in my second PL meet under USAPL. I'm assuming most if not all feds use kilograms rather than pounds. So have your attempts planned in kgs. In USAPL the minimum increment is 2.5kg and the weight is not automatically incremented for you. After each lift you have to tell the scorer what your next attempt is within 1 minute. The commands are easy to follow, I have mostly trained as a weightlifter and have done several of those meets, and I didn't have any problem with the PL commands and have gone 9/9 in two meets. Just go through the commands in your head as you're walking up to the platform and you'll be fine. Also make sure you know form standards for your federation, like in USAPL for bench press your head must maintain contact with the bench throughout the lift. I saw someone get red-lighted on that at the meet. I think other feds may have slightly different standards. Don't forget a cotton shirt and your deadlift socks! With all the gear rules, form rules and commands, it's way more complicated than weightlifting...

Yeah I found some wrestling singlets for around 30 bucks or so on Amazon and Eastbay, but this was definitely the cheapest powerlifting specific one I found.

training is going pretty good. I switched to Greyskull and modified the rep scheme from 5 reps to 3 and added a heavy single as the last set. I'm feeling really confident in my lifts at this point. I've made pretty good progress on my squats, which have always been a problem for me. so I'm happy with that.

My initial goal was to hit 900 lbs total. I think I'm going to miss it by just a bit.

my current lifts are 

bench - 200 with competition pause

squat - 285 (today for a PR!!)

Deadlift - 335

if the meet were tomorrow I would go for this

Squat - 265/285/300

Bench - 190/200/ 210?

Dead - 325/340/350 or 360

So I could total 870 but more like 830 or so.

Which federation is your meet in (I didn't read through the whole thread, maybe you mentioned it already)? I just lifted in my second PL meet under USAPL. I'm assuming most if not all feds use kilograms rather than pounds. So have your attempts planned in kgs. In USAPL the minimum increment is 2.5kg and the weight is not automatically incremented for you. After each lift you have to tell the scorer what your next attempt is within 1 minute. The commands are easy to follow, I have mostly trained as a weightlifter and have done several of those meets, and I didn't have any problem with the PL commands and have gone 9/9 in two meets. Just go through the commands in your head as you're walking up to the platform and you'll be fine. Also make sure you know form standards for your federation, like in USAPL for bench press your head must maintain contact with the bench throughout the lift. I saw someone get red-lighted on that at the meet. I think other feds may have slightly different standards. Don't forget a cotton shirt and your deadlift socks! With all the gear rules, form rules and commands, it's way more complicated than weightlifting...

I'm lifting in an RPS meet and according to the rules etc... everything will be in pounds until next year when they switch to kg.

as far as the commands go, I think I've lightened up a bit on myself. I lifted my bench and squat openers today with the commands and felt pretty confident with it. So I was just worried for nothing.

In RPS your head can come off the bench and your feet dont have to be flat for bench press.

Yea that I've seen, not experienced, but it looks like the bench commands are the only ones to worry about.  But I think you should be fine.

How did the openers feel?

Openers felt pretty good today, bench I'm perfectly fine with, squat is always difficult for me so I dont know. It felt heavy but that's how it goes with me. In the gym it's typical for me to struggle with my last warmup say 245 then struggle through 3 sets of 270 and then struggle for a single at 290. So meh I'll see how it goes on Saturday. I didn't do my deadlift opener. wanted to save that for Saturday.

• Like 1

Haha I'm actually really happy to hear that.  I'm the same way.  Anything above 185 always feels heavy when I walk it out.  I can bang out 5+ reps between 225-250, but dammit if it doesn't feel heavy on my back.

I'm excited to see how you do.  Pretty confident that you'll go 9 for 9 and kill it.

Interesting, so many different federations and rules! I'm used to kgs already from weightlifting, but it seems most of the powerlifters I talked to at the meet were thinking of everything in pounds. USAPL is changing weight classes next year. I lifted in the 60kg class (just barely made it at 59.9) but now they will have a 63kg which is nice for me, if I ever decide to lift in a PL meet again it will match my weight class for weightlifting. :) Anyway good luck at your meet!

I'm lifting in an RPS meet and according to the rules etc... everything will be in pounds until next year when they switch to kg.

as far as the commands go, I think I've lightened up a bit on myself. I lifted my bench and squat openers today with the commands and felt pretty confident with it. So I was just worried for nothing.

In RPS your head can come off the bench and your feet dont have to be flat for bench press.

Interesting, so many different federations and rules! I'm used to kgs already from weightlifting, but it seems most of the powerlifters I talked to at the meet were thinking of everything in pounds. USAPL is changing weight classes next year. I lifted in the 60kg class (just barely made it at 59.9) but now they will have a 63kg which is nice for me, if I ever decide to lift in a PL meet again it will match my weight class for weightlifting. :) Anyway good luck at your meet!

I thought it was crazy that the USAPL was in the IPF but still had the old weight classes.

Glad to see they're seeing sense. Although will probably make JT even more mighty in our weight class...

Made me have to lose weight, I was 124kg, and now it's 120kg+ instead of 125kg+. Hopefully I can get down to 105 kg myself and compete there, but I'm starting to doubt it. I think it'll be a huge pain in the rear. I might just bounce back and forth between 112 and 120ish for bulking up into a meet and cutting afterward.

I thought it was crazy that the USAPL was in the IPF but still had the old weight classes.

Glad to see they're seeing sense. Although will probably make JT even more mighty in our weight class...

It because it's in the US. People outside of powerlifters and scientists have never used kg for anything in their lives. We still use lbs and oz for weight and miles for distance exclusively. Most people have no clue how to convert between one or the other outside of runners for 5ks. If you told an avereage person something was 1 km away, they wouldn't know what that meant.

Made me have to lose weight, I was 124kg, and now it's 120kg+ instead of 125kg+. Hopefully I can get down to 105 kg myself and compete there, but I'm starting to doubt it. I think it'll be a huge pain in the rear. I might just bounce back and forth between 112 and 120ish for bulking up into a meet and cutting afterward.

It because it's in the US. People outside of powerlifters and scientists have never used kg for anything in their lives. We still use lbs and oz for weight and miles for distance exclusively. Most people have no clue how to convert between one or the other outside of runners for 5ks. If you told an avereage person something was 1 km away, they wouldn't know what that meant.

The weight classes were still basically the old kg weight classes though, just not the same as the rest of the IPF. It made no sense to stick to the old weight classes as long as they have, whether they title them in kg or lb.

The weight classes were still basically the old kg weight classes though, just not the same as the rest of the IPF. It made no sense to stick to the old weight classes as long as they have, whether they title them in kg or lb.

I think it's just the locals not caring what internationals thought. Seems like people care more about state and local level records than national/international and just what consistancy from local to national.

I think it's just the locals not caring what internationals thought. Seems like people care more about state and local level records than national/international and just what consistancy from local to national.

Maybe it's just me, but I like to see what's going on in my weight class at an international level even if I have not an ice cube's chance in hell of matching it. :)

Yes, I think on the national level USAPL might have already switched, and local/state were still at the old weight classes. I know here in MN they have said starting in 2015 all meets here will go with the new weight classes. All existing state records will be retired and converted.

Yes, I think on the national level USAPL might have already switched, and local/state were still at the old weight classes. I know here in MN they have said starting in 2015 all meets here will go with the new weight classes. All existing state records will be retired and converted.

No national switches next year. This year is the last year of the old classes I believe at that level as well from comments I saw on the facebook page asknig about the AO.

edit: yeah, on the front page says will be adopted 1/1/15 http://www.usapowerlifting.com/

It's great for the people holding the national records when the weight classes change. 

No national switches next year. This year is the last year of the old classes I believe at that level as well from comments I saw on the facebook page asknig about the AO.

edit: yeah, on the front page says will be adopted 1/1/15 http://www.usapowerlifting.com/

Oh I see now, the new weight classes were adopted this year and will be implemented starting 1/1/2015.

http://www.usapowerlifting.com/usapl-record-changes-for-2015/

Edit: thanks to whomever cleaned up my duplicate posts!