Alrighty, I'm back! The trip to Budapest was fantastic! I did not do a good job of working out while on vacation (other than morning push-ups) because we had so many family obligations, and because I totally forgot to pack my resistance bands. But we walked a LOT. We walked even more than my battle log will show, because I kept forgetting my Fitbit when I changed clothes. We power walked 6-8 miles per day plus spent a lot of additional time on our feet while meandering around. When I say we power walked, I mean we freaking POWER walked. I was probably moving faster than I do during a typical jog. ;-)

We got to our hotel after nearly 24 hours of travel and had planned to take a nap, but my cousin Eva (who is 96 years old) was waiting for us at the hotel so instead we dropped our bags, changed clothes, and headed to the Gerbeaud for some amazing coffee and desserts.

Eva and me

I mentioned before, but I love Hungarian desserts, in part because they're usually not very sweet. The first thing we had was gyümölcsös túrós, which is a very light fruit and cheese curd dessert, and coffee. 

First snack at the Gerbeaud - Gyümölcsös túró and kavé

We were super caffeinated after that (European coffee is SO MUCH BETTER than American coffee), so even though we had been up forever, Laura and I walked across the Chain Bridge into Buda. 

Me in Buda

Our hotel was conveniently located right near Váci utca ("utca" is just Hungarian for "street"), which is a big pedestrian shopping area. At one end is the Central Market Hall and at the other is Vörösmarty tér, a really nice square that is home to the Gerbeaud, which is a Parisian-style coffee house/cukrászda (confectionery). The market has all the paprika: 

So much paprika!

We had beautiful weather so we spent lots of time walking around with family, and Laura and I also had some time to ourselves. We went to the Dohány Street Synagogue, which is home to one of my favorite Holocaust memorials ever, a weeping willow tree sculpture with names engraved on the leaves (including the names of numerous members of my family). We saw my dad's elementary school and a lot of memorials associated with the failed 1956 democratic uprising, in which my family took part (and then had to flee Hungary). We went to Fisherman's Bastion, the Castle, and some other areas in Buda. In Pest we went to Parliament, the amazing baths in City Park (Széchenyi fürdÅ‘), some "ruin pubs" in the Jewish Quarter (now quite the hotspot for nightlife!). 

• Like 2

Aeshnidae, The Girl with the Dragonfly Tattoo

Human Ranger

Level 4 | STR 9 | DEX 8 | STA 5 | CON 5 | WIS 8 | CHA 3

Aeshnidae Flips the Bird at Being Sick | Battle Log | Skull Crushers III

Intro Post | MFP | 2nd Challenge

"Fire bad, tree pretty."

"Nothing but the rain..."

Okay, as of yesterday I'm back on track with my workout schedule. Yesterday I did a 5K jog; today I did some strength training at the gym. My heart rate was super high today so I couldn't do the cardio. I'm not really sure what's going on there, but I'll just keep an eye on it. I'm scheduled to run my 10K across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge on November 9th. 

Today also marks my 1 year anniversary of joining Fitness Evolution, the gym near my house. I have been going to gym at least 3 days per week for 1 year straight! Today the gym manager saw me and said, "wow, you're all buffed up!" 

Although I didn't actively work out while in Budapest, I did lose 2 lbs while I was away! I had just expected to maintain my weight, since I was eating whatever I felt like eating but I guess all the walking paid off. Also, I'm now into my 4th month of heavy lifting and my body has definitely tightened up in a lot of areas. I'm approximately the same weight but my pants are all loose in the waist because muscle weighs more than fat. On the one hand, I'm super stoked to reduce my body fat percentage. On the other hand, I don't want to buy new clothes because my work suits are ridiculously expensive. The main reason I started working out a few years ago was to make sure I didn't have to buy a whole new wardrobe, and I still don't want to buy a new wardrobe, even if it's a smaller size. Plus I don't think a smaller size would actually fit my legs because I have some pretty solid muscles and the clothing industry doesn't seem to understand that women can be petite yet not stick figures. I'm about to deal with the Wrath of the Uterus, so I'm sure I'll gain those 2 lbs (and more) back in bloat temporarily.  :playful: 

I do definitely have sesamoiditis. My doctor thinks I fractured the tiny bones that live in the tendons near my big toe but doesn't think I actually broke them, so that's good news. Taking a few days of rest, along with ice, elevation, and ibuprofen, definitely helped my foot. My doc thinks all of my squatting is what caused the sesamoiditis, so I will have to pay close attention to how my foot is feeling after leg day. 

Here's the rundown of my battle log since I last checked in: 

October 15-17, 2014

Rested so as not to aggravate my sesamoiditis and bronchitis. Sigh.

October 17 – 25, 2014 (in Budapest)

Wasn’t able to work out as planned due to constant family activities, but did lots of walking. I didn’t bother to track food while in Budapest because MFP doesn’t have a lot of Hungarian items.

Friday, 10/17

4,699 steps, 1.93 miles (on airplane most of day)

Saturday, 10/18

12,486 steps, 5.16 miles

Sunday, 10/19

19,765 steps, 8.12 miles

Monday, 10/20

18,317 steps, 7.52 miles

Tuesday, 10/21

11,918 steps, 4.9 miles

Wednesday, 10/22

7,144 steps, 2.93 miles (too rainy in Budapest, had to stay inside)

Thursday, 10/23

6,899 steps, 2.85 miles (on airplane most of day)

Friday, 10/24

2,164 steps (rest day)

Saturday, 10/25

4,513 steps, 1.85 miles

Sunday, 10/26

Forgot Fitbit L

Monday, 10/27

6,196 steps, 2.58 miles

October 28, 2014 (Tuesday)

3.18 mile jog (12:35 pace)

October 29, 2014 (Wednesday)

551 calories, 56:56; avg HR 161/max HR 175

Warm-up: 5 min elliptical, 0.67 miles (really high HR for some reason); 12 push-ups, 12 bodyweight squats

Bench press, 20 lb DBs: 10 (fast pace); 30 lb DBs: 8 (moderate pace); 35 lb DBs: 6, 6, 6

Stiff leg deadlift, 45 lb BB: 10 (fast pace); 75 lb BB: 8 (moderate pace); 95 lb BB: 6, 6, 6

Dips, unassisted: 6, 6, 6

Pull-ups, unassisted: 5, 4, 3

Triceps extension, 35 lb DB: 6, 6, 7 (forgot I had increased weight to 40 lbs last time)

Bent-over row, 25 lb DBs: 6, 6, 6

Barbell curls, 55 lbs: 6, 6; 65 lbs: 5

Russian twists with 6 lb medicine ball (per side): 20, 20, 20

Started to do cardio but had to stop because my heart rate got way too high.

• Like 1

Human Ranger

"Fire bad, tree pretty."

I've been slacking on the fitness this week, mostly because my gym time has been screwed up (water problem at the gym led to it being closed for a day, early morning meetings at work plus 12+ hour work days mean it's even harder to get to the gym). But I also figure it's good to rest my fractured foot bone since I'm still scheduled to do a 10K next Sunday. I did a nice 4 mile walk (with the dogs) today but refused to run even though Willow really, really, really wanted to run. 

I am SUPER excited, though, because I'm finally putting together a home gym. For some union-related reason, my employer covered every employee's contribution to our health insurance for October so surprise, extra money in the paycheck! I have a pretty limited space in the basement (8 x 10 ft and low ceilings), but I can totally fit an adjustable weight bench (decline, flat, incline) and these bad boys:

bowflex-selecttech-dumbbells-1.jpg 

Yup, I am getting Bowflex SelectTech dumbbells! I've been coveting these for years and finally decided to get a pair of them (thanks, Amazon Prime!). I got a free weight bench from a friend just before I moved, so I'm going to assemble it, and I got a little stepper, in the hopes that it'll be okay for cardio in a pinch. In a year or two, I hope to add a squat rack; a few companies make them especially for rooms with low ceilings but I promised Laura we'd renovate the basement so it'll depend on whether we can find the space for it. But even just with the dumbbells and bench, I can do most of my strength workout on days that I can't make it to the gym! Yay!

• Like 3

Human Ranger

"Fire bad, tree pretty."

November 10, 2014 (Monday)

Ok, it’s been almost two weeks since my last lifting session. I took a break on purpose but can’t let it become too long of a break! Thankfully I’ve got the latest NF challenge to get me back on track. I worked from home today – a rare and glorious occurrence – and normally that would mean an internal fight to get to the gym. But no more! Now I have my nifty Bowflex Selectech dumbbells and weight bench, plus a little stepper, so I was able to get an actual workout done in my basement. I took it a bit easy because Laura and I are at the tail end of a shared cold.

300 calories, 31:52, avg HR 156/max HR 168

Warm up: 5 minutes stepper, 10 push-ups, 10 bodyweight squats

Flat bench press, 20 lb DBs: 10 (fast pace); 25 lb DBs: 8; 35 lb DBs: 6, 5, 6

Dips, unassisted: 6, 6, 6

Bent-over triceps rows, 30 lb DB: 6, 6, 6 (per side)

Bent-over triceps kick-back, 20 lb DBs: 6, 6, 6

Lying leg raises: 20, 20, 20

Incline sit-ups: 20, 20, 20

I also started handstand training! I held 60 seconds in the middle position. 

wall-plank.png

• Like 1

Human Ranger

"Fire bad, tree pretty."

Vietnamese-Style Noodle Bowls

Don't be put off by the length of the recipe. It actually comes together quite fast, and the only things that require chopping are the garlic, shallots, and cabbage. You can save time by mincing all of the garlic at once and all of the shallots at once, and then portion them out among the marinade, dressing, and meatballs. You can make the marinade and the dressing up to 2 days ahead of time. I recommend sauteing the shallots and garlic for the meatballs first, since they need time to cool. Then make the marinade and dressing. Then make the meatballs. While the meatballs are baking, saute the cabbage and carrot, bring a pot of water to boil for the rice noodles, and cut up the cucumber into matchsticks. Once the meatballs are done, throw the rice noodles into the water (thin ones will only need about 2 minutes). As soon as you drain the noodles, you'll be ready to assemble the bowls.

MARINADE & CABBAGE/CARROTS

Ingredients

2 TB fish sauce

2 TB water

2 TB brown sugar (packed)

1 clove garlic (minced)

½ shallot (minced)

Half a small head of green cabbage

1-2 carrots, shredded

Scallions (optional)

Directions

Mix marinade ingredients until sugar dissolves (I put it in a small glass container and shake). Reserve 1 tsp for meatballs.

Saute carrots and cabbage (and scallions, if using) with marinade until cabbage is no longer too crispy.

DRESSING

Ingredients

1/4 cup fish sauce

2 TB granulated sugar

1 garlic clove, minced

1/2 - 1 whole Serrano pepper, minced

Juice from 1 to 1.5 limes (about 1/4 cup)

Drizzle of soy sauce

Drizzle of chili sesame oil (if you don't have this, just use some olive oil)

Rice vinegar, to taste (start with 1/4 cup)

Water, to taste (start with 1/4 cup)

Directions

Grind garlic and Serrano using mortar & pestle (or just finely mince it), then add all ingredients to glass bottle and shake. Set aside until ready to use. To save time and increase the flavor, make this up to 2 days ahead of time.

PORK MEATBALLS

Ingredients

1 lb ground pork

1 clove garlic, minced

1 small shallot, minced

Olive oil

1/4 cup fine bread crumbs (plain)

1 egg, beaten

Salt & pepper to taste

1 tsp marinade

Directions

Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line baking sheet with parchment paper.

Saute garlic and shallot in 1 TB olive oil and then let cool.

Mix all ingredients and form into meatballs about 1" in diameter (you should get about 16 meatballs from 1 lb).

Bake meatballs for 15-20 minutes, until pork is fully cooked.

PUT IT ALL TOGETHER

Cook rice noodles according to directions, drain, and place in bowls.

Top with cabbage/carrot mixture and arrange meatballs around bowl.

Add cucumbers (cut into matchsticks) and bean sprouts.

Drizzle dressing all over, mix, and eat!

CHICKEN OPTION

Don't want pork? Use boneless skinless chicken breasts instead. Let the chicken soak in the marinade for at least 30 minutes. In heavy skillet, heat olive oil and sesame oil (optional) over medium-high heat. Sauté 2 chicken breasts, seasoned with salt & pepper, for 5-6 minutes per side. Pour remaining marinade into skillet and cook, turning chicken once, until marinade thickens to a glaze. Remove chicken and allow to rest before thinly slicing. Add chopped cabbage and shredded carrot and cook down.

The only thing that puts me off about this food post is the fact no matter how many times I lick the screen, I can't taste it. :(

• Like 1

-The Muscle Professor-

OtherWorldIron.com 

Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself. -Rumi-

November 11, 2014 (Tuesday)

Rest day because of fibro and DOMS. Did handstand practice and tracked all the things.

November 12, 2014 (Wednesday)

428 calories, 49:53, avg HR 150/max HR 170

Warm-up: 5 minutes stepper, 10 push-ups, 10 bodyweight squats

Stiff leg deadlift, 45 lbs: 10 (fast paced); 70 lbs: 8; 100 lbs: 5, 6, 6 (used dumbbells instead of barbell)

Bent-over DB row, 25 lb DBs: 6, 6, 6

Seated cable row (using resistance bands): 10, 10, 10

Biceps curls, 22.5 lb DBs: 6, 6, 6

Russian twists, 6 lb medicine ball: 20, 20, 20

Cardio on stepper, 15 minutes

On schedule for tracking but obviously can't complete that until tonight. Will do handstand practice this evening. 

• Like 1

Human Ranger

"Fire bad, tree pretty."

November 13, 2014 (Thursday)

494 calories, 57:52, avg HR 153/max HR 169

Shoulder press, 12.5 lb DBs: 10 (fast pace); 15 lb DBs: 6; 25 lb DBs: 6, 6, 5

Side laterals, 12.5 lb DBs: 6, 6, 6 (poor form on last 2 reps)

Upright row, 25 lb DBs: 6, 6, 6 (no barbell so 50lbs of dumbbells was my substitute)

DB front raise, 15 lb DB: 6, 6, 6 (per arm)

Leg raises: 20, 20, 20

Incline sit-ups: 20, 20,20

Russian twists w/ 6 lb medicine ball: 20, 20, 20

Cycling, 20 minutes (can’t track distance on my bike trainer)

Did handstand practice and tracked all the things. 

I'm really happy with my home gym setup thus far! I'm keeping my gym membership for leg day (I don't have a squat rack, barbells, or a leg press so I'm limited in how much I can really do at home). I'm going to try to fit leg day into lunch break on Fridays. Sad to say, the gym parking lot is just not safe when it's dark; people (especially women) get assaulted there too often. =( I think I'd probably be fine in the early morning, since not a lot of crime happens then, but I don't want to risk it. So my morning gym workouts are out for now and by the time I'm done with work in the evening, it's dark again. If I can't fit in a trip to the gym at lunch, I'll do a leg workout at home. I can do lunges, goblet squats, and stiff-legged deadlifts with dumbbells. And I'd like to get an EZ curl bar soon. Yay for decent home gym stuff! 

• Like 1

Human Ranger

"Fire bad, tree pretty."

November 14, 2014 (Friday)

Rest day because I’m helping Jess move tomorrow.  Tracked all the things.

November 15, 2014 (Saturday)

3.5 hours of moving fairly heavy furniture, including carrying it down and then up stairs. It was cold out but I was soaked through with sweat about 30 minutes into the move. A 22 year old guy and I moved all of the furniture out of the house into the truck, but then sadly he had to leave, so Rick and I moved it all out of the truck and into the apartment. Jess has some heavy ass furniture.

Tracked all the things. No handstand practice because of the lengthy move. I was away from home from 7 am to 7:30 pm and too wiped out in the evening to risk the handstand practice.

• Like 1

Human Ranger

"Fire bad, tree pretty."

November 16, 2014 (Sunday)

Rest day but did handstand practice and tracked all the things.

November 17, 2014 (Monday)

525 calories, 57:47, avg HR 156/max HR 175

Bench press, 20 lb DBs: 10 (fast paced); 25 lb DBs: 8; 35 lb DBs: 6, 6, 6 (struggled at the very end)

Incline bench press, 20 lb DBs: 6, 6, 6 (definitely can increase weight, this was my last exercise of the day and it still felt pretty easy)

Dips, unassisted: 7, 7, 7

Push-ups on medicine ball: 4, 5, 5

Triceps extension, 35 lb DB: 6, 6, 6 (didn’t increase weight b/c wasn’t feeling great at that point in the workout)

Triceps kick-backs, 20 lb DBs: 6, 6, 6

20 minutes cycling

Tracked all the things. Did handstand practice but it was rough; I need to separate my lifting and my handstand practice by a few hours. 

Home gym is almost finished. It's a small space (not quite 10x10 with ceilings that range from 6 - 7 feet). I still want to add an Iron Gym for pull-ups and an EZ curl bar with about 70 lbs of weights in 5 and 10 lb plates. Not pictured is my little stepper, which is surprisingly great.

Aeshnidae's Home Gym

Human Ranger

"Fire bad, tree pretty."

November 18, 2014 (Tuesday)

Did handstand practice and tracked all the things. Was too tired to get up and work out (thanks, insomnia!) but I’m still on track to meet my weekly goals.

November 19, 2014 (Wednesday)

516 calories, 1:02:15, avg HR 147/max HR 167

Stiff leg deadlift, 45 lbs: 10 (fast pace); 70 lbs: 6; 100 lbs: 6, 6, 6 (used two 50 lb DBs)

Bent-over DB row, 25 lb DBs: 6, 6, 6

Inverted rows (replacing pull-ups until I get a pull-up bar): 10, 8, 8

Seated row w/ resistance bands: 10, 10, 10

Biceps curls, 22.5 lb DBs: 5, 5, 6

Hammer curls, 20 lb DBs: 6, 6, 6

20 minutes cycling

Tracked all the things. Handstand practice planned for this evening (trying to separate it from my lifting).

Human Ranger

"Fire bad, tree pretty."

November 20, 2014 (Thursday)

Tracked all the things. Went on 2.5 mile fast-paced walk. No handstand practice – utterly exhausted after work.

November 21, 2014 (Friday)

474 calories, 55:06, avg HR 147/max HR 168

Warm-up: 5 minute stepper, 10 push-ups, 10 bodyweight squats (legs were really feeling it)

Shoulder press, 15 lb DBs: 10 (fast pace); 20 lb DBs: 8; 25 lb DBs: 6, 6, 6

Side laterals, 12.5 lb DBs: 6, 6, 6 (all good form)

Upright row, 25 lb DBs: 6, 6, 6 (need to increase weight for at least 1 set)

Front raise, 15 lb DBs: 6, 6, 6

Leg raises: 20, 20, 20

20 minutes cycling

• Like 1

Human Ranger

"Fire bad, tree pretty."