I put together a program I am going to try for four weeks starting this Sunday.  It is based on Wendler's 5/3/1 for Crossfit (see "5/3/1" 2nd Ed. by Jim Wendler) with assistance work based on Paul "Coach" Wade's "Convict Conditioning" and Pavel's "Enter the Kettlebell!"  So in other words, this is nothing original nor is it something I created.  I just used Wendler's template.

Any where you see "???" is where I have a blank to fill, such as a fullbody movement on bench day.  Wendler says no Oly lifts on upper body days and I will be benching at work where I have fuck all for GPP equipment.  So, suggestions?  I guess I ought to cowboy up and buy a medicine ball and leave it in my locker at work. 

I want to use my farmer's walk bars too.  I'd likely add them to squat or deadlift/OHP day but not sure if it is assistance, conditioning, or full body.  The circuit stuff I might change every cycle (4 weeks) or every session.  Thoughts?

In accordance with Chairbrokey's forum rules, here is my background info (below in the "spoiler")

Fitness goals: Lose fat (more of a diet thing, I know) and improve conditioning and strength

Me: Male, 33, 6'1", 242lbs

Past Programs: All-Pro's beginner fullbody 1 year, Strong Lifts 5x5 for 6 months, Wendler 5/3/1 4/week  for 6 months, Wendler 5/3/1 2/week w/ kettlebells and GPP for 6 months.  Last month has been more 5/3/1 2/week as well as Convict Conditioning 4-6 days a week.

I also run 5-10 km per session with 3 - 6 sessions a week.

Current 1 rep training maxes: Bench 230lbs, Deadlift 370lbs (recently dropped by 10% after a strained back muscle, but the other day I did 355x4), Squat was 345lbs but I have been slacking hard the last few months, OHP 130lbs, a reset after I failed to lift 145lbs a couple months back.

Diet: Whole foods, minimal carbs, lots of protein (mostly from eggs and dairy).

Limitations: I work Wed - Sat.  During these days (except Wed morning) I have access to a kettlebell, a park, and my work's shitty gym with a cheap barbell that bows like crazy when you load more than 300lbs on it and no squat rack.  (So no heavy squats or deadlifts at work).

Sun - Tuesday (and Wed morning) I am home and use my garage gym which has a squat rack, pull up bars, farmer walk bars, a light (200lb) tractor tire, sledge, kettlebells, battle ropes, heavy bag, and a barbell rated for 1500lbs. 

gallery_28495_1219_130264.jpg

"If you're not waking up in the morning and living your life like a ritual of creation or destruction or life or death or love or hate then you really are just dieing one minute at a time."

- Paul "Grimnir" Waggener of the Wolves of Vinland

Mogi Shade, Level 4 Yeti

[STR 6] [DEX 8] [STA 4] [CON 5] [WIS 4] [CHA 4]

Current Challenge: [05]

JJSOMMER.COM | Tumblr | Instagram

Quinte Outdoor Club Meet-Up Group [ON, Canada]

Maybe it's just me, but that program seems like it's all over the place.  Seems like you have a good strength base, so my first question is why are you tackling so many different types of exercises at once?  I don't think there's anything necessarily wrong with this program, it just looks kind of hodge-podge.  I don't see how all your assistance work correlates to your main exercises, but then maybe I'm missing something.

Throw the farmer's walks in after your squats, and maybe clean and press or clean and jerk on your ???? slot.  Clean and press/jerk is a great full body move that might help with your benching and everything else.  And the farmer's walks have to go somewhere, might as well be after your legs are already tired.

I've never done any of these big programs with all the accessory work though, and I'm by no means an advanced anything.  Just throwing in my two cents.

• Like 1

Maybe it's just me, but that program seems like it's all over the place.  Seems like you have a good strength base, so my first question is why are you tackling so many different types of exercises at once?  I don't think there's anything necessarily wrong with this program, it just looks kind of hodge-podge.  I don't see how all your assistance work correlates to your main exercises, but then maybe I'm missing something.

Throw the farmer's walks in after your squats, and maybe clean and press or clean and jerk on your ???? slot.  Clean and press/jerk is a great full body move that might help with your benching and everything else.  And the farmer's walks have to go somewhere, might as well be after your legs are already tired.

I've never done any of these big programs with all the accessory work though, and I'm by no means an advanced anything.  Just throwing in my two cents.

Well it sort of seems all over because I have no real goals beyond GPP.  I am not trying to be a body builder, a power lifter, an Oly lifter, or a strongman.  I don't run long distances and I don't compete in any sports.  I just want to be more athletic and my work precludes me from joining a team sport or anything that relies on me being some where on a regular basis.

The various exercises were chosen out of lists put together by Wendler in his book (separated into upper body, lower body, conditioning, and fullbody categories) and I borrowed directly from his sample programs were I could.  I tried to use good judgment when swapping out a few things.  It's Wendler's 5/3/1 for Crossfit template.  I know crossfit is a dirty word for most lifters, and I am not a fan because I need the structured progression found in traditional lifting programs. 

I have tried in the past to do strictly weight lifting and then fit GPP/conditioning in on "rest" days or in a second workout but it has never worked out for me.  I won't abandon barbell training for strict bodyweight or crossfit because... Well, do I really need a reason? 

I guess I am trying to do what I want in a succinct schedule and designed to minimize the risk of over training.   I like 5/3/1 because it compartmentalizes the lifts in a way that accommodates my equipment/work problems.  A Mark Riptoe/Stronglifts/Texas Method style workout has me squatting 3/week.  That's cool, but I don't have access to equipment to squat heavy 3/week. 

(In case it's not clear, I travel for work during those four days.)

So an example of how I put a day together, let's take Monday.  I cannot deadlift (heavy) at work nor can I squat (heavy) at work.  I need some rest between deadlifting and squatting.  I don't want to put them together on the same day or else I'll ave to sacrifice one (maybe even both).  I could OHP on Tuesday but it's my weekend and I need to be reasonable.  Will I lift weights for 2/3 of my weekend?  Probably not.  I know I have a run set for Tueday but running is not exercise.  Running if fun and relaxing, I do that most mornings before even a coffee. 

Wendler has paired OHPs with deadlifts in the 2/week programs.  So I decided to deadlift first so I can focus on it to get stronger.  A big deadlift does wonders for self-esteem in my opinion.  Then I OHP.

In this template you get one assistance lift.  I thought about one assistance lift per primary lift but then I worried about volume.  So pull-up training seemed like a nice assistance exercise, it works back and shoulders, along with everything else above the waist.  It also jives with my focus on bodyweight training as well.  Plus, pull-ups are bad ass.

Those three exercises are, basically, the workout.  That's the strength training.  Deadlift, OHP, and pull-ups.  Done.  The remaining portion is basically GPP/conditioning/Wendler's version of crossfit (if I can phrase it like that?).  So he had a list of fullbody moves, including clean and press.  I chose that but opted for a kettlebell since I know my right arm press is stronger than my left.

Then for an assistance movement (not lift) I chose pike push-ups, as it supports OHP and works me closer to the lofty goal of one day doing a handstand push-up.  Also, traps look cool.  The second assistance movement I chose was lunges, since they seem to go nicely with deadlifting and put some much needed emphasis on the quads.  Another option could be weighted step-ups.

Next is a conditioning move to get the heart rate up and such.  Doing deadlifts and OHPs on the same day make it tricky because I now have to chose between picking an upper or lower body conditioning movement.  I opted for upper since I have battle ropes and a heavy bag in my garage but not on the road at work.  (Wendler makes a point of adapting your program to your schedule, goals, equipment, etc...)

Finally there is the core movement.  Turkish get-ups are hard and challenge me, I have leg raises on squat day, and planking the other two days. 

The bicep curls at the end, if you cannot tell by the category name, is not to be taken too seriously.  Just a couple sets at the end because why not?

Also, this reply is longer than I anticipated and I am not going to be all that meticulous in my proof reading.

• Like 1

"If you're not waking up in the morning and living your life like a ritual of creation or destruction or life or death or love or hate then you really are just dieing one minute at a time."

- Paul "Grimnir" Waggener of the Wolves of Vinland

Mogi Shade, Level 4 Yeti

[STR 6] [DEX 8] [STA 4] [CON 5] [WIS 4] [CHA 4]

Current Challenge: [05]

JJSOMMER.COM | Tumblr | Instagram

Quinte Outdoor Club Meet-Up Group [ON, Canada]

On Caturday you could do something simple and fun, like make a 50# sandbag to leave at work and use it for a 'variety circuit'. I did that at the last job I had and it did good shit for me. Eventually ended up with about 70# in the bag, doing shouldering, presses, burpees (just kill me!), and just picking it up and tossing it behind me, switching shoulder each rep. I ended up making a rebounder with two tires and played slam-bag which I actually think I need to start again. That was a good time, and helped my back a lot, which I need again. Burpees with 25# in each hand are good, if you have dumbbells at work.

• Like 1