[ONGOING]10 Week YAYOG Ladder Challenge

You are Your Own Gym is a book revolving around body-weight exercise. The book holds about 150 different exercises that require little to no equipment.

The first iteration of this went very well. Most everybody who started stuck it through to the end, and saw results. I have passed control of this thread to Aces3000, in hopes that he can continue to inspire people to use this program.

Since I have completed the 10 weeks, I would like to do a short review. For those who are still on the edge.

I saw good strength gains through this program. Not needing equipment was a benefit, and most workouts where quick. Often you would find an exercise that appeared easy to be much harder. Focusing on form is crucial to success.

Pros

• Noticable strength gains
  • Program changes enough to keep you entertained
  • Pre determined programs and short workout times make it easy to follow

Cons

• Some exercises may needed to be scaled for difficulty. Ensuring good form is crucial to make sure you get the most out of it.
  • Since it is a bodyweight centered program a decent current fitness level is encouraged. 
  • Personally I dislike resting for extended periods of time during workouts. Expect to see anywhere from 1 to 3 minute rest times during the program. This is a more personal dislike than anything though.

Personally I have enjoyed most of the program. The last 2 weeks I kind of lost interest. I felt like I was getting a good workout afterwards, but I don't like sitting around between sets. So often I would throw in some other exercise, such as a stationary bike, to fill in the gaps.

If you want to see weight loss with this program a good diet, as with all programs, is essential. 

In conclusion I found that this program is great for those who like a good structured program. If you can stick with it I know you will see results!

Goals

• To complete a 10 week program from  YAYOG.
  • Meet and motivate others.
  • To progress to harder and more difficult programs from YAYOG. 

Joining/Progressing

• Please post with your general info and what program you plan to do.
  • You must have access to the material in some fashion. (Book/App/Etc)

This thread will now be overseen by Aces3000, please refer all questions to him. His current post containing more up to date information can be found HERE.

Weekly Motivation/Reminders

If you complete week 10 you get to leave a "message" behind on the week 1 post. It's a way for you guys to say we where here. You can use it to motivate others who are just starting out!

Week 1

Week 2

Week 3

Week 4

Week 5

Week 6

Week 7

Week 8

Week 9

Suggestions
To get the most out of this program I highly suggest you calculate your RMR using the calorie calculator below. Then using a program like My Fitness Pal to track your calories. This will help you see the best result, as diet is a huge part of weight loss and losing body fat. Please make sure you allow others to view your diary.

NOTE: The RMR calculations in the physical book are far more strict than those found on the website. The calculations from the book say I should aim for 1800 calories, while the website says 2200. I suggest following the online calculator and adjust MFP activity level accordingly.

IMPORTANT When tracking calories on MFP do not input exercise! You cannot do exercise to eat more. Your exercise has already been factored in on the website. You get X amount of calories a day. That is it.

I also highly suggest warming up before the exercise. I took this from the TMNT workout here on NF.

Conclusion
This has the potential to be a great program and a lot of fun. If it gets hard remember we are here to help. And remember why you are doing all of this. If you follow the plan, watch what you eat, you will be a better you in 10 weeks. Just keep pushing through!

Links
Mark Lauren's Website
APP
Book on Amazon
Calorie Calculator scroll down, bottom right of page will look for better link
My Fitness Pal

Spreadsheet for weeks completed thanks d3li9ht

• Like 6

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Progress, not perfection."

"Persist, Pivot, or Concede." - Matthew McConaughey

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Rants, Thoughts, and Workouts-->Battle Log | The Improvening (Current Challenge)

Inspiration Wall

878ee998f1617932e829e02bd22915b8.jpg

-RxLady

List of those who have completed the 10 weeks.

• RxLady
  • cn3wton
  • Amdhiel
  • caolan
  • LadyShello
  • Aces3000
  • Like 5

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Rants, Thoughts, and Workouts-->Battle Log | The Improvening (Current Challenge)

My name is Corey.

My starting weight at the time of this post is 189lbs. I am 5'10"

I will be doing the BASIC program.

You can follow me on MFP.

I will be doing this program on M T Tr F

I will be doing yoga and myofascial release on S W S

• Like 2

Now I have no more excuses for having this book and not DOING it!

I'm a 56 yo woman, 5'7", who currently weighs 186# at 35% BF.

I will do the basic program on M, W, F, Sa.

I will also be doing "durability" work at least 3x per week (probably more) that consists of stretching, "prehab" exercises, foam rolling, etc, plus endurance training 3-4x per week.

My goal is 165# or less, and below 24% BF, by March 15, 2015.

My quest is to attend the Arizona Wildfire Academy this Spring and re-qualify as a wildland firefighter.

• Like 5

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

subbing

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero | Affiliation: Doodlie and Pancake for Life

Respawn Challenge Arcs: 2021 | 2022

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Original Spawn Challenges 2014 - 2020: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020

Starting weight = 290.4 (2014); Current weight = 241.2; Total pounds lost: 49.2

Hey I'm Daniel, 26 years old, 280lbs

I plan on doing my workouts on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday because I have my own little workout area at work, and I reckon having Wednesday off might be a good idea.

I also plan on doing yoga three times a week, although I won't be rigid about days and just see when my body needs it and it fits in my schedule.

I'll also be taking up some kind of fighting hobby. At the moment it looks like Western Martials arts/HEMA

• Like 2

Hi, fellow YAYOG PVP'ers.  I'll probably be doing the workout on Tue, Wed, Fri, and Sat.  I will be re-starting my martial arts training on Mondays, and I like to mix in walking, cycling, yoga, and swimming into my schedule.

• Like 3

Level 4 Ranger
STR 10 / DEX 6 / STA 6 / CON 8 / WIS 6 / CHA 5
Completed Challenges / PVP's: 
1 | 2 3 | 4 | YAYOG | 20-in-10

Current Challenges / PVP's: 5

Seriously can't wait until monday guys. Good to see everyones finding the thread. We have 12 subs, I am hoping that maybe we can get a few more participants?!?! 

Regardless it will be good fun for all of us!

• Like 2

Okay, I'm pretty sure that I'll join in I just want to see what the PT says tomorrow morning about my knee. I've been having issues with clicking most likely from muscle imbalances (yay for extended issues with planar fasciitis).

I'll update after my appointment with decision and details.

• Like 1

Assassin

Battle Log | MFP: Amdhiel
Challenges: Current#7#6, #5, #4,
#3, #2, #1

"Why do we fall sir? So that we can learn to pick ourselves up." Alfred - Batman Begins

Okay, I'm pretty sure that I'll join in I just want to see what the PT says tomorrow morning about my knee. I've been having issues with clicking most likely from muscle imbalances (yay for extended issues with planar fasciitis).

I'll update after my appointment with decision and details.

Good luck!

We will be here whenever you can start. Taking care of yourself is first priority!

• Like 1

Good luck!

We will be here whenever you can start. Taking care of yourself is first priority!

Thanks! Taking care of me has been my battle for the last year plus. I'm pretty sure the PT stuff will mesh with this program, I'd just rather be safe. I like my knees functioning! :)

• Like 1

Assassin

#3, #2, #1

"Why do we fall sir? So that we can learn to pick ourselves up." Alfred - Batman Begins

Okay I finally have my days figured out. :panda:

I am 5'5", starting weight is 133 lbs. I will be doing the BASIC program on T, R, F, S

I will also be:

Running on M, W, S

Biking on T, R, F

Swimming on M, W, F

Yoga on M, W, R, N

Goal #1 is to build strength (especially upper body and core).

Goal #2 is to lose the remainder of the skinny-fat weight I am carrying around (especially around the middle) to get back to my normal weight of 120 lbs.

Goal #3 is to prepare for the NF Fenway Spartan Sprint in November. AROO! 

I haven't set up MFP yet but will share once I do. According to the calorie counter on the website, I should be aiming for 1855 calories a day.

So excited to kick off this program!! W00t!! ^.^

• Like 1

Level 2 - Wood Elf - Ranger 

STR : 2 | DEX : 2 | STA : 5 | CON : 3 | WIS : 3 | CHA : 2

Challenges: #1, Current - #2

My Triathlon Training Logs: #1, #2

holy cow ryoko that's a lot of exercise, will you have time/energy for all that?

Lol...yes and yes. ^.^

Bear in mind I am training for my second triathlon. This is not entirely different from the first time I trained; I'm just adding an extra day in for each leg (evenly spaced throughout the week). I learned last triathlon that I didn't get enough time in during training. So I'm scaling this moderately up.

Regarding yoga, every day noted except Sunday (N) are studio-based yoga classes that I already attend anyways. So I am scaling my yoga wayyy back this go around.

• Like 1

Level 2 - Wood Elf - Ranger 

STR : 2 | DEX : 2 | STA : 5 | CON : 3 | WIS : 3 | CHA : 2

Challenges: #1, Current - #2

My Triathlon Training Logs: #1, #2

I'm in for the challenge! I downloaded the app last night and am ordering the book today. 

I do have a question about the calorie counter on Mark Lauren's website and which calorie number to use. My BMR came to 1,388 cal/day. Exercising 3x/week is 2,096 and 4-5x/week is 2,427. Should I use the 3x or 4-5x/week number for this challenge? 2,427 seems like a lot to me, but I'm sure I can manage it!

I'm 5'10" and 200 lbs. 46 years old

I'll be doing the Basic program on T, W, Fr, Sun.

Let's do this!

• Like 2

Aces3000 - Wood Elf

Current Challenge - 5/3/1 and Meditation

"An increase of strength comes from the use of strength." - Stave of the Haruchai

I'm in for the challenge! I downloaded the app last night and am ordering the book today. 

I do have a question about the calorie counter on Mark Lauren's website and which calorie number to use. My BMR came to 1,388 cal/day. Exercising 3x/week is 2,096 and 4-5x/week is 2,427. Should I use the 3x or 4-5x/week number for this challenge? 2,427 seems like a lot to me, but I'm sure I can manage it!

I'm 5'10" and 200 lbs. 46 years old

I'll be doing the Basic program on T, W, Fr, Sun.

Let's do this!

I would go what you are more comfortable with. For instance if you don't feel like you can handle 2000 calories right away go for 2400. If your goal is to lose weight of course. If your not concerned about weight, then 2400 should be fine.

Just got back from PT and I'm good to go since the issue is nerve related. I just have to be super mindful with things like squats/lunges and be respectful of the knee and nerve. The good news is now I have my last quest for the 9/15 challenge... improve my flexibility!

Starting weight is 185 and I'm 5'7 on a good day. Based on tape measure method my body fat is currently ~37%.

My primary goal is to loose about 30lbs and get my body fat down to 20-24%.

I'll be doing the BASIC program M T R F, walking a 3-5 miles everyday and will add something for flexibility 3-4 times a week. My calorie goal is ~2,000 calories/day.

• Like 2

Assassin

#3, #2, #1

I would go what you are more comfortable with. For instance if you don't feel like you can handle 2000 calories right away go for 2400. If your goal is to lose weight of course. If your not concerned about weight, then 2400 should be fine.

Interestingly, I got the 2400 number when choosing the lose less than 50 pounds option. Think I'll start with 2100 and see what happens. 

Aces3000 - Wood Elf

Current Challenge - 5/3/1 and Meditation

"An increase of strength comes from the use of strength." - Stave of the Haruchai

Just got back from PT and I'm good to go since the issue is nerve related. I just have to be super mindful with things like squats/lunges and be respectful of the knee and nerve. The good news is now I have my last quest for the 9/15 challenge... improve my flexibility!

Starting weight is 185 and I'm 5'7 on a good day. Based on tape measure method my body fat is currently ~37%.

My primary goal is to loose about 30lbs and get my body fat down to 20-24%.

I'll be doing the BASIC program M T R F, walking a 3-5 miles everyday and will add something for flexibility 3-4 times a week. My calorie goal is ~2,000 calories/day.

Good to hear!

• Like 1

I just downloaded the app. I don't store credit card info on my phone, so I made a trip to the store and bought a gift card. The app is really good, it's totally worth the investment.

I have decided that from tomorow until sunday I am really going to take the time and focus on my squatting form. I lean way too far forward with my upper body.

• Like 2

I have a general idea of my plan for this... I will be supplementing with other goals on my next challenge thread.  How they will play together I haven't quite worked out yet.  But once that is up, I'll have a link in my signature if you're interested.

Starting weight is 261 (I will update on Sept 8th for the official start) with BF% 44%(last calculated at end of week 3).

I really like BW exercises as the machines bore me and I really want to get to a point where my body works the way it is supposed to.  This will give me confidence knowing that my body will not fail me (or at least know my limits and keep expanding them). 

I'm not real big on schedules and now that the kids' fall activities have started I am at my schedule's mercy rather than the other way around.  But tentatively I'll be doing YAYOG on M T at home and R at the gym.  The 4th day will probably change from week to week depending on what is going on.  I will always do the workouts in the order prescribed though and most likely make a tighter schedule at the beginning of each week. 

I track on MFP.  I have mine set up for sedentary and I have also started to log my exercises.  I would normally avoid this but I found myself not eating enough.  I don't always eat my exercise calories and even when I do I try to never eat more than half of them.  This is working for me at the moment but I will re-evaluate again if I get stalled.

I am excited for YAYOG but a little worried about the ability to progress.  I'll be doing the BASIC program for the 1st 10 weeks.  Hopefully, I will like this and be able to do the next level another time around. 

• Like 3

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero | Affiliation: Doodlie and Pancake for Life

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Original Spawn Challenges 2014 - 2020: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

I have a general idea of my plan for this... I will be supplementing with other goals on my next challenge thread.  How they will play together I haven't quite worked out yet.  But once that is up, I'll have a link in my signature if you're interested.

Starting weight is 261 (I will update on Sept 8th for the official start) with BF% 44%(last calculated at end of week 3).

I really like BW exercises as the machines bore me and I really want to get to a point where my body works the way it is supposed to.  This will give me confidence knowing that my body will not fail me (or at least know my limits and keep expanding them). 

I'm not real big on schedules and now that the kids' fall activities have started I am at my schedule's mercy rather than the other way around.  But tentatively I'll be doing YAYOG on M T at home and R at the gym.  The 4th day will probably change from week to week depending on what is going on.  I will always do the workouts in the order prescribed though and most likely make a tighter schedule at the beginning of each week. 

I track on MFP.  I have mine set up for sedentary and I have also started to log my exercises.  I would normally avoid this but I found myself not eating enough.  I don't always eat my exercise calories and even when I do I try to never eat more than half of them.  This is working for me at the moment but I will re-evaluate again if I get stalled.

I am excited for YAYOG but a little worried about the ability to progress.  I'll be doing the BASIC program for the 1st 10 weeks.  Hopefully, I will like this and be able to do the next level another time around. 

If you set sedintary as your activity for MFP then you can log exercise.

My issue with MFP is that I don't see the numbers/formula it uses to calculate your RMR. So I used the book and the website to get my numbers, then pick a activity level on MFP that reflects my goals. Currently I am sitting at 1800 (I think thats little to no exercise), and after 1-2 weeks will see if I need to change it. But since I am indeed doing very little activity right now because it is my "rest" week, I want to really focus on staying in a deficit.

If you set sedintary as your activity for MFP then you can log exercise.

My issue with MFP is that I don't see the numbers/formula it uses to calculate your RMR. So I used the book and the website to get my numbers, then pick a activity level on MFP that reflects my goals. Currently I am sitting at 1800 (I think thats little to no exercise), and after 1-2 weeks will see if I need to change it. But since I am indeed doing very little activity right now because it is my "rest" week, I want to really focus on staying in a deficit

I plan on doing the calculations from the book and comparing.  MFP gives me 1440 but before I started logging my food at all I was getting around 1100-1200 even on exercise days.  I don't particularly trust MFP either.  I tend to stay a little lower than what their goal is but never go below a particular threshold.  It will be interesting to see how different the calculations are between this and the book's RMR. 

I also like using MFP for keeping track of macros.  I find this particularly difficult.  I don't get enough protein and end up with too much fat - it's the cheese I tell you.. 

• Like 1

I plan on doing the calculations from the book and comparing.  MFP gives me 1440 but before I started logging my food at all I was getting around 1100-1200 even on exercise days.  I don't particularly trust MFP either.  I tend to stay a little lower than what their goal is but never go below a particular threshold.  It will be interesting to see how different the calculations are between this and the book's RMR. 

I also like using MFP for keeping track of macros.  I find this particularly difficult.  I don't get enough protein and end up with too much fat - it's the cheese I tell you.. 

I read somewhere that good fat is pretty good fuel for strength training... Just cant go overboard on it.

Up above I provided a link for the books website that can give you your RMR calculation. I don't know if I did the math wrong or what, but my calculation from the book was much lower than the one from the site.