[ONGOING]10 Week YAYOG Ladder Challenge

Okay, I haven't been on here in about a week. I've gotten really busy at my new job in a very short amount of time. Just got back from a few days in NYC for some training. I love going to New York. I did walk quite a bit while there, so felt like I got some exercise. 

Tonight however, I started the 10 week basic program again. I'm not sure how long it'll take me to complete since I don't have my workout schedule figured out. However, I will say that it was a great workout tonight. The Pull Me Ups are definitely easier than they were the first time around, but I still felt them by the time I did 40 reps. Also, was able to sub straight leg seated dips.

Aces3000 - Wood Elf

Current Challenge - 5/3/1 and Meditation

"An increase of strength comes from the use of strength." - Stave of the Haruchai

So far I'm still trying to find something that I can do let me ups and let me ins - all the doors in my apartment are sliding doors because it's a TINY Korean apartment... And it's cold outside... I'll find something. Any ideas for something I can do instead, that doesn't require a table (my only table is too flimsy), door or pole?

I still owe you some exercises you can sub. My apologies for not getting this done sooner. I've been on the road for my new job. I'll take a look at this tonight or tomorrow.

Aces3000 - Wood Elf

"An increase of strength comes from the use of strength." - Stave of the Haruchai

hello all. I'm searching around looking for a routine I can start. I am a complete noob and am trying to make my plan for my first challenge (woot!) - I thought ths YAYOG looked pretty good (mind you thats w/o reading the ook so not knowing it in depth). I'm looking for something that can be done at home or with limited gym equipment (b/c that's all my village has).

I have questions but am pretty sure I am just going to dive in and buy the book. two questions:

1. anyone else starting or in the first few weeks or is this "challenge" fairly played out on NF?

2. Does anyone know the real difference between the male and female books? I am female but my overall goal will be completing the CPAT test, which usually recommends fairly "male" workouts, with an emphasis on stamina and weightlifting

• Like 2

I hate storms, but calms undermine my spirits.
-  Bernard Moitessier

Weighty weight loss {goal= 25 lbs total} start 147lbs. Today=147lbs

0%
0%

YAYOG 10 week

0%
0%

hello all. I'm searching around looking for a routine I can start. I am a complete noob and am trying to make my plan for my first challenge (woot!) - I thought ths YAYOG looked pretty good (mind you thats w/o reading the ook so not knowing it in depth). I'm looking for something that can be done at home or with limited gym equipment (b/c that's all my village has).

I have questions but am pretty sure I am just going to dive in and buy the book. two questions:

1. anyone else starting or in the first few weeks or is this "challenge" fairly played out on NF?

2. Does anyone know the real difference between the male and female books? I am female but my overall goal will be completing the CPAT test, which usually recommends fairly "male" workouts, with an emphasis on stamina and weightlifting

Hi and welcome to the YAYOG challenge! A lot of the people who were participating have finished the first 10 week challenge. However, that said, I am still moderating this forum. I've been absent a bit over the past few weeks since I started a new job. Things have settled down now and I'll be more available. 

1) I am going to do a new 10 weeks, so can report in if you'd like to join me.

2) I don't know if there is a difference. Most of the folks who were on this forum during the first 10 weeks simply followed the basic program using the app. 

I definitely noticed a significant change in my strength and stamina over the course of the program. I can answer questions and help however I can. It may be helpful for you to read the first posts that cn3wton made when starting this challenge. 

• Like 1

Aces3000 - Wood Elf

kick ass. i'm in. thanks for keeping this going.

I'm starting to go through the book, I thought about starting today (one week until the next challenge starts) but am in the wrong place for it (travelling, family for another week), but mainly my excuse is I want to start co-currently with the next challenge in the hope more people will join and help keep me on task

For now, I'll look through the previous posts and try to get my exercise form down (and figure out ths whole ladder thing)

• Like 1

I hate storms, but calms undermine my spirits.
-  Bernard Moitessier

Weighty weight loss {goal= 25 lbs total} start 147lbs. Today=147lbs

0%
0%

YAYOG 10 week

0%
0%

kick ass. i'm in. thanks for keeping this going.

I'm starting to go through the book, I thought about starting today (one week until the next challenge starts) but am in the wrong place for it (travelling, family for another week), but mainly my excuse is I want to start co-currently with the next challenge in the hope more people will join and help keep me on task

For now, I'll look through the previous posts and try to get my exercise form down (and figure out ths whole ladder thing)

I definitely suggest that you get the app. It will help you stay on track.

I will likely not start again until after the new year and may be absent from the forum until then.

The ladders are simply guides reps in each exercise. You do 1 rep and then rest, then two reps and rest, then three and rest and finally four and rest. After you get to four reps, you count down 3-2-1 with rests between. The rest periods get longer and shorter depending on the rep count. The goal is to go slowly and do 36 reps in 7.5 minutes. This is why the app is so helpful- it counts everything down for you and will help you stay on track. So to get 36 you do 1-2-3-4-3-2-1-2-3-4-3-2-1-2-3. I hope this helps!

Aces3000 - Wood Elf

Hey all!

I've been off for a good 2 months since last time I did YAYOG. Still on W5D2 last time... *sad*

Next challenge will start next week, so I'll use these remaining 5 days to try to get my body ready to tackle down the rest of YAYOG.

I'm glad people still hang out at this thread :))

Thanks Aces3000 for keeping this thread alive! And welcome new YAYOG-ers! :D

• Like 1

.: d3li9ht :.

Level 2 Aspiring Assassin

[ STR 3.3 ][ DEX 2.9 ][ STA 4 ][ CON 3.2 ][ WIS 4 ][ CHA 2 ]

Challenges:  #0.5  |  #1.5  |  #3 CURRENT  |  YAYOG PVP (W5D3)  

The Awesome Colorful Spreadsheets 

Hey all!

I've been off for a good 2 months since last time I did YAYOG. Still on W5D2 last time... *sad*

Next challenge will start next week, so I'll use these remaining 5 days to try to get my body ready to tackle down the rest of YAYOG.

I'm glad people still hang out at this thread :))

Thanks Aces3000 for keeping this thread alive! And welcome new YAYOG-ers! :D

Fantastic! I'm starting up again now that we've hit the new year. I'll be able to check into this forum about once a day and will respond as I can.

Aces3000 - Wood Elf

A quick update. In order to get back in the habit, I did a quick workout tonight. About 15 minutes of stretching followed by 50 squats and 50 side lunges on each side. 

I am looking at the videos that are available in the app. If I purchase one and try the workout, I'll definitely post a review here. In the next couple of days I'll post my workout goal for the next six week challenge and start updating them regularly. I hope some other NF members join in!

Aces3000 - Wood Elf

Hi all. I'm a newbie to YAYOG - I bought the DVD set towards the end of last year which is based on Mon/Wed/Fri workouts. Have done each of the basic ones once and some twice.

Just getting back into the groove - it's part of my first challenge, so will see how we go. All the best everyone!

LilLucia

Level 2 | Wood Elf, Assassin in training

DAI-GURREN BRIGADIER

STR: 4.1 | DEX: 1.37 | STA: 1.37 | CON: 8.55 | WIS: 4.0 | CHA: 1.0

The first rung of the ladder: Challenge #1

Maintaining the ground & my sanity: Challenge #2

“A happy life consists not in the absence, but in the mastery of hardships.†— Helen Keller

I'm a confused musician/writer/reader/introvert/nerd, in training to be an awesome wife/nurse/tutor/mom.

Hi all. I'm a newbie to YAYOG - I bought the DVD set towards the end of last year which is based on Mon/Wed/Fri workouts. Have done each of the basic ones once and some twice.

Just getting back into the groove - it's part of my first challenge, so will see how we go. All the best everyone!

Welcome, welcome onboard!

Are you going to follow the 10-weeks guided program? If so, please post your update here! The other senior members might be able to help with advices etc if you get any problem :D

• Like 1

.: d3li9ht :.

Level 2 Aspiring Assassin

[ STR 3.3 ][ DEX 2.9 ][ STA 4 ][ CON 3.2 ][ WIS 4 ][ CHA 2 ]

Challenges:  #0.5  |  #1.5  |  #3 CURRENT  |  YAYOG PVP (W5D3)  

The Awesome Colorful Spreadsheets 

Thanks d3li9ht! I don't actually own the book, I think the videos are a newer product of Mark Lauren's. I don't think I will stick with them forever (there are three levels with three workouts in each), but for the time being it suits me to not have to time myself/count reps etc. Just set the mind on autopilot and obey :D

Getting on well so far - I know my form is definitely improving on some movements and I'm becoming more aware of the way my muscles function.

LilLucia

DAI-GURREN BRIGADIER

“A happy life consists not in the absence, but in the mastery of hardships.†— Helen Keller

I'm a confused musician/writer/reader/introvert/nerd, in training to be an awesome wife/nurse/tutor/mom.

Thanks d3li9ht! I don't actually own the book, I think the videos are a newer product of Mark Lauren's. I don't think I will stick with them forever (there are three levels with three workouts in each), but for the time being it suits me to not have to time myself/count reps etc. Just set the mind on autopilot and obey :D

Getting on well so far - I know my form is definitely improving on some movements and I'm becoming more aware of the way my muscles function.

Feel free to post more info on your workouts - what exercises you do, your rep counts, etc, which ones are difficult, etc. If you look at some of the early posts on this thread, we tried to stay accountable to the group. We're here to support and give guidance!

For me - I intended to start a new program this week, but have not been feeling 100%. I tried to work out this evening but had to stop. At times I have some vertigo and it's been bothering me today.

Aces3000 - Wood Elf

Ok, great.

Well, today's workout was Novice - Circuit Training. Basically short sets of Dynamic Squats, Military Presses, Fast Swimmers and a Mountain Climber variation where you touch your knee to the opposite elbow (supposedly).

Observations: I LOVE dynamic squats. Like, I missed not doing them since my last Friday workout (which was back on 19/12/14). I was going, can we do dynamic squats now? How about now?

A question though - with the modified Mountain Climber as described above, I can't get anywhere close to touching my elbow. My flexibility isn't the greatest, but not completely shabby either. I'm not particularly tall or short or anything... Is it just a skill that will build up over time, or am I doing something wrong?

• Like 1

LilLucia

DAI-GURREN BRIGADIER

Ok, great.

Well, today's workout was Novice - Circuit Training. Basically short sets of Dynamic Squats, Military Presses, Fast Swimmers and a Mountain Climber variation where you touch your knee to the opposite elbow (supposedly).

Observations: I LOVE dynamic squats. Like, I missed not doing them since my last Friday workout (which was back on 19/12/14). I was going, can we do dynamic squats now? How about now?

A question though - with the modified Mountain Climber as described above, I can't get anywhere close to touching my elbow. My flexibility isn't the greatest, but not completely shabby either. I'm not particularly tall or short or anything... Is it just a skill that will build up over time, or am I doing something wrong?

You're probably not doing anything wrong, so it's likely a flexibility issue. There are a lot of the YAYOG exercises that I can't do exactly perfect because of lack of flexibility or balance. However, I have seen improvement over time. My suggestion is always to go slowly and maintain the best form that you can. Improvement will happen.

Great job on the circuit and thanks for posting! You've inspired me to get started again.

• Like 1

Aces3000 - Wood Elf

First Class Week 1, Day 2

Ladders

Back Lunges - 36/36

OLRDLs - 25/36 My balance is definitely better while doing these. However, it seems impossible to get 36 reps in the time allotted. I prefer taking my time and keeping proper form and balance.

Squats - 36/36

Leg Lifts - 36/36

onward!

• Like 1

Aces3000 - Wood Elf

First Class Week 1, Day Four:

Ladders

Side Lunges - 36/36

OLRDLs - 36/36 - my balance was excellent and this is the first time I've completed the 36 reps in the time allotted. 

Toyotas - 36/36 - these are an ass-kicker, but I like them!

Russian Twists - 36/36 - I actually stopped counting, but know that I completed at least this many reps.

On two week two tomorrow!

Aces3000 - Wood Elf

Another question for the YAYOG veterans... I have weak wrists (hereditary, have never broken/sprained but they ache when I'm tired).

When I'm doing things like Mountain Climbers (yay for movements that I hate but love), I feel like I'm going to bomb out simply because my wrists hurt from putting my weight on them.

Any tips for strengthening them, or should I not be putting weight on them so forcefully?

Thanks in advance!

LilLucia

DAI-GURREN BRIGADIER

Another question for the YAYOG veterans... I have weak wrists (hereditary, have never broken/sprained but they ache when I'm tired).

When I'm doing things like Mountain Climbers (yay for movements that I hate but love), I feel like I'm going to bomb out simply because my wrists hurt from putting my weight on them.

Any tips for strengthening them, or should I not be putting weight on them so forcefully?

Thanks in advance!

I'm sorry, I don't know that I have any advice here. Let's see if anyone else chimes in.

Aces3000 - Wood Elf

First Class Week Two, Day 1

Classic Push Ups - 40

Let Me Ups - 36

Military Press - 32 - I could really feel myself approaching muscle failure on these today. Not sure why.

Let Me Ins - 36

This program is definitely more challenging than the Basic program. The first two weeks are muscular endurance blocks and I can really feel it when I finish working out. 

• Like 1

Aces3000 - Wood Elf

Thanks in advance!

Hi, I have some wrist issues as well. There are numerous things you can do.

First off are you stretching? If not you need to start. This will improve your wrist health tremendously. Icing after can help as well. With moves that involve placing your hands on the floor you can instead grip things like dumbells that alter the impact on your wrists. You can also do them with closed fists, knuckles to the floor so that your wrist is not bent during the movement.

• Like 1

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Progress, not perfection."

"Persist, Pivot, or Concede." - Matthew McConaughey

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Rants, Thoughts, and Workouts-->Battle Log | The Improvening (Current Challenge)

Hi, I have some wrist issues as well. There are numerous things you can do.

First off are you stretching? If not you need to start. This will improve your wrist health tremendously. Icing after can help as well. With moves that involve placing your hands on the floor you can instead grip things like dumbells that alter the impact on your wrists. You can also do them with closed fists, knuckles to the floor so that your wrist is not bent during the movement.

Thanks! Yes, the videos have a built in warm-up, but I think I might add in a few wrist stretches as well. Will try closed fists out on Friday.

Appreciate your help.

• Like 2

LilLucia

DAI-GURREN BRIGADIER

First Class, Week Two, Day 2

Back Lunges - 36

OLRDLs - 25

Squats - 36

Leg Lifts - 36

Felt a little rushed today. We got to the Y late and then I had to hustle to get this workout completed. I am almost at the point where the one legged dead lifts are no problem for me. Consider I couldn't keep my balance at all when I started the basic program, I consider this excellent progress.

• Like 1

Aces3000 - Wood Elf