[ONGOING]10 Week YAYOG Ladder Challenge

post-31727-14102267312298_thumb.jpg

Wall push up: 66

Let me ins: 63

Seated dips: 63

Let me out: 58

I think I need to go faster :-/

I'm kinda confused with doing reps of 1,2,3,4,3,2,1 etc, it makes me think that I can keep going even after the time ends.. Especially doing only 1 rep then rest, felt so awkward!

I saw BopGun mentioned doing 10 and 7 reps; so does it mean I can modify the amount of higher reps myself??

And I was having difficulties doing Let Me Out; can't lift myself high enough to touch the table with my chest, and to keep my knee, hips, chest in one line... I just figured after the workout ends that I'm not supposed to put my butt on the floor on the starting position O.O

• Like 1

.: d3li9ht :.

Level 2 Aspiring Assassin

[ STR 3.3 ][ DEX 2.9 ][ STA 4 ][ CON 3.2 ][ WIS 4 ][ CHA 2 ]

Challenges:  #0.5  |  #1.5  |  #3 CURRENT  |  YAYOG PVP (W5D3)  

The Awesome Colorful Spreadsheets 

Workout 1 completed.

I did have my doubts about these first 2 weeks but HOLY COW.  My arms took a beating.  Can someone say spaghetti arms?

Push ups (4th step) 63

Let Me Ins - 36

Seated Dips - 58

Let Me Ups - 10! 

I could barely do any Let Me Ups..  I'm not sure if it's because my arms were too tired from the previous exercises or if it was just my set up.  I am considering getting a pull up bar or working out at a park.  Also, I had trouble with the Let Me Ins. I was afraid I was going to wreck the door handle.  I switched and held onto the door jamb but then my arms weren't quite facing the same way so I may have been using different muscles..   I felt it in my triceps more than the other way.  This would be easier at a park too. 

Also - I got the app and LOVED it.  I was so excited to do this workout that I had almost forgotten to do a warm up.  Lo and behold the app has a warm up all included.  However, I also have the iPhone app and it only goes up to 4 reps so the counts were off.  I did really like how it monitors your rest time between sets though.  I was worried about that. 

• Like 5

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero | Affiliation: Doodlie and Pancake for Life

Respawn Challenge Arcs: 2021 | 2022

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Original Spawn Challenges 2014 - 2020: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020

Starting weight = 290.4 (2014); Current weight = 241.2; Total pounds lost: 49.2

I did have my doubts about these first 2 weeks but HOLY COW.  My arms took a beating.  Can someone say spaghetti arms?

Lol yes!!! Total spaghetti arms. ^.^

I could barely do any Let Me Ups..  I'm not sure if it's because my arms were too tired from the previous exercises or if it was just my set up.  I am considering getting a pull up bar or working out at a park.  

Ditto again...

• Like 2

Level 2 - Wood Elf - Ranger 

STR : 2 | DEX : 2 | STA : 5 | CON : 3 | WIS : 3 | CHA : 2

Challenges: #1, Current - #2

My Triathlon Training Logs: #1, #2

So - you guys didn't do the reps according to the app? Someone please enlighten me about this D:

...I think I didn't do the exercises in a correct form; my body isn't feeling sore all over, only slight pinch on the upper arms... O.o

Or is it because of low rep count? (4 max; as my iPhone app said.)

I just followed the rep count from the app though I probably could have gone higher on push-ups. The let me ins, dips and let me ups were harder. o.0

So - you guys didn't do the reps according to the app? Someone please enlighten me about this D:

...I think I didn't do the exercises in a correct form; my body isn't feeling sore all over, only slight pinch on the upper arms... O.o
Or is it because of low rep count? (4 max; as my iPhone app said.)

Not sure exactly how you were doing everything. All the exercises should have worked your arms, chest and back. I have to concentrate really hard on form or else I won't work the correct muscles. It helps to make sure that your abs are engaged and your shoulders are pulled back and down. Dips and push ups are push exercises that use your triceps pecs mostly so I try to focus on engaging those muscles. Let me ins and Let me ups are pull exercises the primarily use your lats and biceps. I find engaging my lats to be somewhat difficult, a physical therapist I saw suggested thinking about trying to pick something up by pinching your shoulder blades together. When my lats are firing, I feel down my ribs on my back.

Hopefully this helps a little bit.

• Like 2

Assassin

Battle Log | MFP: Amdhiel
Challenges: Current#7#6, #5, #4,
#3, #2, #1

"Why do we fall sir? So that we can learn to pick ourselves up." Alfred - Batman Begins

Got the app and love it! Just finished first work out! Couldn't do let me ups due to no sturdy tables.

but I have one of those pull up bars that latch to the door and remove whenever so instead just switched for chin ups.

fa087b29fe5edde15918cbb68c5cce26.jpg

Hopefully that loaded correctly, sorry on the tablet.

And already walked around 3 miles today and about to do 10-15 min of yoga :)

Great job everyone!

• Like 2

Ok so it seems theres a glitch with the ladder system on iphones.

So heres what you can do. After hitting 4 and hitting the decrease rep button, do 5 reps instead of 3. The rest time is calculated by how long it took you from the end of your last rest until you hit the button. So you will basically be using the app as a timer. Or you can stick with 4 reps.

This is not a full body workout, this was upper body.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Progress, not perfection."

"Persist, Pivot, or Concede." - Matthew McConaughey

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Rants, Thoughts, and Workouts-->Battle Log | The Improvening (Current Challenge)

Ok so it seems theres a glitch with the ladder system on iphones.

So heres what you can do. After hitting 4 and hitting the decrease rep button, do 5 reps instead of 3. The rest time is calculated by how long it took you from the end of your last rest until you hit the button. So you will basically be using the app as a timer. Or you can stick with 4 reps.

This is not a full body workout, this was upper body.

The problem with not following the prescribed rep counts on iPhone would be then keeping track of what you've done, almost easier just to track the ladders manually than try to force it to work with the app.

I can't believe that the app will keep you at that low of a rep count for very long though, maybe the iPhone app just forces you to start kinda slowly on the first workout?

Cyborg Assassin ≡ Level 2 ][ STR 7.8 â‰¡ DEX 1.8 â‰¡ STA 5.8 â‰¡ CON 2 â‰¡ WIS 4 â‰¡ CHA 3 ]

|  Challenges: 1  |  YAYOG PvP  |

Reduce bodyfat to 10%

35%
35%

YAYOG basic program - 10 Weeks

84%
84%

I triple checked - the iphone app doesn't have "increase rep" or "decrease rep" button anywhere :(

And on the second day of week 1, the highest rep is still 4.

Can anyone with android app post a screen shot where those buttons should be?

And... can anyone with the book check how the ladder system is supposed to be - is 4 reps the highest it recommends; or can the reps be manually adjusted? If so, do you have to take notes of highest reps u can do today and try to beat it next time u do the same exercise?

The workout summary looks better too in android app; with detailed time spent on each exercise etc. On iPhone it looks just like this:

- to answer my own question... -

It seems the 4-step ladders on the iphone app has been there since 2012; and hasn't been changed since then...

Here's what I found:

## From random forum:

Here is what Mark says in his book-

" Be sure you can always do the required amount of reps with good form, while at the same time not exceeding the required amount of reps."

"Train yourself to perform the exercises correctly. If you reach muscle failure at any point during your ladder workout, you went too high before coming back down. This is meant to be a high-volume/low-intensity workout."

"It is okay to perform the ladder workout in the low rep range—possibly even repeating single reps towards the end of the workout, in order to avoid hitting failure."

Since Mark has you training each muscle once per week try a 2 on, 1 off, 2 on, 2 off approach. In other words- something like Mon, Tue, Thu, Fri with Wed, Sat, & Sun off.

## From Mark Lauren himself:

As mentioned, the intent of Ladders is to achieve a high volume/ low intensity workout.

The rest period is always that of the previous work period, so regardless of whether you go up to 9 reps or repeatedly go up to 4 reps, you are never working more than half of the allotted time. The number of reps performed therefor remain the same. The difference being that by repeatedly going up to only 4 reps, instead some higher number, intensity is kept lower while the volume remains the same- ensuring high volume/low intensity.

This feature ensures that app users unfamiliar with YAYOG are performing Ladders at low intensity, avoiding muscle failure.

Like the Android app, the iPhone app will eventually allow for customized Ladder workouts. We're working hard. Keep the feedback coming!

Mark Lauren

## Explanation by one of the inside person/developer:

The 4-step ladders are intended to replace "traditional" ladders in the ten week programs. They are not an interpretation of the version in the book, but a new one, this is why they are referred to as "4 step ladders" and not simply "ladders". This was a decision by Mark to prevent users from performing more reps than necessary (therefore focusing on a harder variation of an exercise) and preventing users from reaching muscle exhaustion because the goal of the ladder workouts is for movement proficiency. In a future update, we will allow users to customize the number of steps (i.e. maximum reps before you come back down) in a ladder.

(https://www.marklauren.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=5067&sid=e7ecdcf725aee2320311de6aa8d66957)

Sooo I guess I'll just stick with 4-ladders as my iphone app told me. At the end, I think the result isn't too different than higher ladders, bcoz of 7.5min limited time ;-)

• Like 1

- to answer my own question... -It seems the 4-step ladders on the iphone app has been there since 2012; and hasn't been changed since then...Here's what I found: ...

Thanks for looking all of that up! I guess I'll try going for lower rep ranges next time, since I was pretty close to failure on my highest counts.

Cyborg Assassin ≡ Level 2 ][ STR 7.8 â‰¡ DEX 1.8 â‰¡ STA 5.8 â‰¡ CON 2 â‰¡ WIS 4 â‰¡ CHA 3 ]

|  Challenges: 1  |  YAYOG PvP  |

Reduce bodyfat to 10%

35%
35%

YAYOG basic program - 10 Weeks

84%
84%

Completed the first workout today and here's the recap:

Push ups - 66

Let me ins - 33

Seated dips - 46

Let me ups - 46

I never felt like I was close to muscle failure during the work out. Definitely the let me ups were the most difficult exercise for me. Although I was still able to complete a fair number of reps. In retrospect, I should have slowed down on that exercise and done fewer reps.

Thanks for all the research into the way the iPhone app works. I'm going to stick with using the way it's designed. I'm still trying to make working out a habit for me, so sticking with the app as it is will take me out of it. That way I don't over think this.

• Like 4

Aces3000 - Wood Elf

Current Challenge - 5/3/1 and Meditation

"An increase of strength comes from the use of strength." - Stave of the Haruchai

My arms are SO sore today! Wow...I didn't realize how much upper body strength I lacked. Just proves why I'm so glad I'm doing this challenge. ^.^

Yeah my chest and back are sore too but it's a good sore! I'm going to have to stretch more today and tomorrow because my sternum feels like it wants to act up. [emoji21]

• Like 1

Assassin

#3, #2, #1

"Why do we fall sir? So that we can learn to pick ourselves up." Alfred - Batman Begins

Yeah my chest and back are sore too but it's a good sore! I'm going to have to stretch more today and tomorrow because my sternum feels like it wants to act up. [emoji21]

Yeah totally a good sore! 

Hmm...my sternum is perfectly fine...I hope that doesn't mean I did a workout incorrectly...o.O

Level 2 - Wood Elf - Ranger 

STR : 2 | DEX : 2 | STA : 5 | CON : 3 | WIS : 3 | CHA : 2

Challenges: #1, Current - #2

My Triathlon Training Logs: #1, #2

Yeah totally a good sore!

Hmm...my sternum is perfectly fine...I hope that doesn't mean I did a workout incorrectly...o.O

Oh you're fine. I've had problems with it popping out of joint due to some stuff a few years back. So I have to watch it carefully and make sure I'm supporting it correctly.

Assassin

#3, #2, #1

Day 2

Back Lunges 43 each leg

One-Legged Romanian Deadlift 36 each leg

Squats 72

Swimmers (slow) 46 each side

So I hope everyone remembers to do the one sided exercise on each side before upping the reps! And make sure you really focus on form.

I have learned not to underestimate anything in this workout... I was like oh one legged deadlift isn't going to be bad. And it wasn't... at first. Once my balance started to go I really hunkered down and focused on moving slowly and making sure I had the balancing foot planted. By this time I was around the 10 rep range and my leg was feeling it!

Simmers as well where not as "easy" as I thought they would be. Lowering my back leg slowly took all of my will. I really just wanted to drop it right down to the ground and move on.

I think it was pretty even across the board as far as reps go. Remember the one sided exercises take about twice as long as the ones that you don't have to repeat.

• Like 1

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Rants, Thoughts, and Workouts-->Battle Log | The Improvening (Current Challenge)

I think I need to go faster :-/

I'm kinda confused with doing reps of 1,2,3,4,3,2,1 etc, it makes me think that I can keep going even after the time ends.. Especially doing only 1 rep then rest, felt so awkward!

I saw BopGun mentioned doing 10 and 7 reps; so does it mean I can modify the amount of higher reps myself??

And I was having difficulties doing Let Me Out; can't lift myself high enough to touch the table with my chest, and to keep my knee, hips, chest in one line... I just figured after the workout ends that I'm not supposed to put my butt on the floor on the starting position O.O

If you are going to stick with 4 reps you should be going slower instead of faster. Hold the push ups at the bottom, and at the top. And really focus on slow controlled movements.

If you are going to keep going past 4 reps then you can keep a faster pace with no pausing.

As far as let me ups go,you need to really focus on keeping your body in line during the movement. When your done with the reps you can rest and drop your butt down. But one of the big things your developing now is not only the strength to pull yourself up, but core stability.

I could barely do any Let Me Ups..  I'm not sure if it's because my arms were too tired from the previous exercises or if it was just my set up.  I am considering getting a pull up bar or working out at a park.  Also, I had trouble with the Let Me Ins. I was afraid I was going to wreck the door handle.  I switched and held onto the door jamb but then my arms weren't quite facing the same way so I may have been using different muscles..   I felt it in my triceps more than the other way.  This would be easier at a park too. 

Also - I got the app and LOVED it.  I was so excited to do this workout that I had almost forgotten to do a warm up.  Lo and behold the app has a warm up all included.  However, I also have the iPhone app and it only goes up to 4 reps so the counts were off.  I did really like how it monitors your rest time between sets though.  I was worried about that. 

I am glad you are feeling it and having a good workout. My arms were pretty much spaghetti as well. Did you do let me ups with knees bent?

I am glad you like the app, Iphone seems to have some issues. No issues so far with the android one for me..

Got the app and love it! Just finished first work out! Couldn't do let me ups due to no sturdy tables.

but I have one of those pull up bars that latch to the door and remove whenever so instead just switched for chin ups.

And already walked around 3 miles today and about to do 10-15 min of yoga :)

Great job everyone!

Awesome job staying active! You will do well on NF and in this challenge!

Did you do chin's with any assist or no? Chins work as an extreme replacement to this as the app calls for underhand grip. But if it calls for overhand you should do some kind of pullup variant. If you have the pull up bar and its secure, you can put your feet up on a step stool or something to do let me ups. But make sure you trust it. I was doing them for awhile but then I found a swing arm pull up bar and installed that downstairs. 

Keep it up!

The problem with not following the prescribed rep counts on iPhone would be then keeping track of what you've done, almost easier just to track the ladders manually than try to force it to work with the app.

I can't believe that the app will keep you at that low of a rep count for very long though, maybe the iPhone app just forces you to start kinda slowly on the first workout?

The reps dont matter really. Sure we are counting them here, but thats not necessary. You can write them down after hittting the button. The most important thing the app does is not the tracking, but the timer. IMO.

Work out 2 complete

Awesome job keep it up!

Thanks for looking all of that up! I guess I'll try going for lower rep ranges next time, since I was pretty close to failure on my highest counts.

I would stay where you where at. It's not suppossed to be a cake walk. You should sweat and push a bit. But of course its up to you.

Completed the first workout today and here's the recap:

I never felt like I was close to muscle failure during the work out. Definitely the let me ups were the most difficult exercise for me. Although I was still able to complete a fair number of reps. In retrospect, I should have slowed down on that exercise and done fewer reps.

Thanks for all the research into the way the iPhone app works. I'm going to stick with using the way it's designed. I'm still trying to make working out a habit for me, so sticking with the app as it is will take me out of it. That way I don't over think this.

If you are going to stick with 4 reps pause at the bottom and top, and move with slow controlled movements. If it was easy you werent pushing yourself right. You can jot down your reps on a piece of paper next to the phone, and use the app as just a timer. Of course its up to you.

Awesome job!

@Ryoko and Amdhiel- Keep up the awesome work, soreness is good, it means you got what you wanted out of the exercise! Just make sure you warm up!

• Like 2

I'd love to get in on this! I got the app last week with a plan to start this week and then found this PvP. I'll be doing workouts Tu, Th, and two days out of Fr, Sa, Su. That gives me a bit of flexibility with my schedule. This is on top of karate on MW and running once my shins are healed (got pushed forward at a football game and fell into the empty row in front of me. My shins are bruised and swollen, so I'm taking it slow this week). 

I'll do the first workout tonight and report in. 

Starting stats (as of this morning):

Weight: 221.4 (water weight...grrrr)

BF%: 42.8

And I'll do inches in the morning to get a starting point. Do I need anything else?

• Like 1

Wandering Monk

Starting Weight: 238 Current Weight: 189.2 Goal Weight: 150

PRs

Mile: 12:49 (11/1/14) 5K: 44:07 (3/13/16)

My arms are SO sore today! Wow...I didn't realize how much upper body strength I lacked. Just proves why I'm so glad I'm doing this challenge. ^.^

Ditto!  :welcoming:

Day 2

Back Lunges 43 each leg

One-Legged Romanian Deadlift 36 each leg

Squats 72

Swimmers (slow) 46 each side

So I hope everyone remembers to do the one sided exercise on each side before upping the reps! And make sure you really focus on form.

I have learned not to underestimate anything in this workout... I was like oh one legged deadlift isn't going to be bad. And it wasn't... at first. Once my balance started to go I really hunkered down and focused on moving slowly and making sure I had the balancing foot planted. By this time I was around the 10 rep range and my leg was feeling it!

Simmers as well where not as "easy" as I thought they would be. Lowering my back leg slowly took all of my will. I really just wanted to drop it right down to the ground and move on.

I think it was pretty even across the board as far as reps go. Remember the one sided exercises take about twice as long as the ones that you don't have to repeat.

This workout is definately not something to underestimate. I did the same thing at first but 7-1/2 minutes suddenly seems like a LONG time. 

I am glad you are feeling it and having a good workout. My arms were pretty much spaghetti as well. Did you do let me ups with knees bent?

I am glad you like the app, Iphone seems to have some issues. No issues so far with the android one for me..

I did do the Let Me ups with bent knees.  I still could barely lift myself all the way up and then I could not control the descent and typically landed on the floor with a thud.  One thing could be that I was using the side of the table and there isn't a lot of room between it and the wall.  I felt maybe my arms were at too much of an angle since I couldn't position myself in the right place. 

• Like 1

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero | Affiliation: Doodlie and Pancake for Life

Respawn Challenge Arcs: 2021 | 2022

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Original Spawn Challenges 2014 - 2020: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020

Starting weight = 290.4 (2014); Current weight = 241.2; Total pounds lost: 49.2

If you are going to stick with 4 reps pause at the bottom and top, and move with slow controlled movements. If it was easy you werent pushing yourself right. You can jot down your reps on a piece of paper next to the phone, and use the app as just a timer. Of course its up to you.

Awesome job!

I definitely didn't mean to imply it was easy! I can feel it now, for sure.

Aces3000 - Wood Elf

Current Challenge - 5/3/1 and Meditation

"An increase of strength comes from the use of strength." - Stave of the Haruchai

The allotted time for each exercise is the same so it doesn't matter if your ladder goes up to 4 or up to 40 you will still do the same total amount of reps, one way you are just doing more sets.

Also i read the target reps was 36 for each exercise and rather than just belting as many out as possible it is preferential to go as slow as possible, the slower you go the more you're body has to work

Try it for yourself! See how many press ups you can do in ten seconds and then make one press up last for ten seconds of co tenuous movement. The one rep of ten seconds will probably ache more

• Like 1

I did do the Let Me ups with bent knees.  I still could barely lift myself all the way up and then I could not control the descent and typically landed on the floor with a thud.  One thing could be that I was using the side of the table and there isn't a lot of room between it and the wall.  I felt maybe my arms were at too much of an angle since I couldn't position myself in the right place. 

You may want to look into a way to do standing rows.

I'd love to get in on this! I got the app last week with a plan to start this week and then found this PvP. I'll be doing workouts Tu, Th, and two days out of Fr, Sa, Su. That gives me a bit of flexibility with my schedule. This is on top of karate on MW and running once my shins are healed (got pushed forward at a football game and fell into the empty row in front of me. My shins are bruised and swollen, so I'm taking it slow this week). 

I'll do the first workout tonight and report in. 

Starting stats (as of this morning):

Weight: 221.4 (water weight...grrrr)

BF%: 42.8

And I'll do inches in the morning to get a starting point. Do I need anything else?

Welcome! You can share whatever information you want,its all up to you. Most of us are using MFP to track calories, as diet is a big part of the book. But the only thing you really need to post is a check in thatsays if you completedthe week.