Any RolePlayers here?

My GMing system of choice is Savage Worlds 

Though I'm playing in a D&D 5e game currently.

• Like 1

Half-Ork Scout Leader
Running PRs : 5K 24m16s | 10K 53m32s | 15K 1h18m09s | Half Marathon 2h1m44s | Marathon 4h42m2s 
Past Challenges #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13  #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22
                               #23 #24 #25 #26 #27 #28 #29 #30 #31 #32 #33 #34 #35 #36 #37 #38 #39 #40
Current Challenge Don't Call It A Comeback

My favorite is still Dungeons and Dragons 3.5. In some ways I prefer the excessively complex rules; I think they help stimulate my creativity when I'm GMing. And I feel competent with modifying them on the fly.

I have enjoyed Pathfinder when I've played it. My friend group has been trying to get together to try Savage Worlds for some time now, but things keep getting in the way. Likewise, I've been ALMOST finished putting together a Dread game for more than a year now. I need to get on that.

I'd like to try out World of Darkness. I'd REALLY like to try out Noblis, but that one's out of print and I don't have $65. I'd never heard of Eclipse Phase before, but that sounds pretty cool.

• Like 2

Level 2 Elf Assassin

Str: 4 | Dex: 5 | Sta: 3 | Con: 2 | Wis: 4 | Cha: 3

"When people called me freak, I closed my eyes and laughed, because they were blind to happiness." --hide

First challenge! Second challenge! Third challenge!

Eclipse Phase is a very cool Science Fiction setting.

I also enjoyed DnD 3.5 - besides from 2nd edition, this was probably my favourite & for the exact same reasons Lalie. I own the Deadlands supplement to Savage Worlds which is very cool (I got nearly all the books for a stupidly cheap price, so why not?). Sadly though I have never played Savage Worlds, but it's popularity speaks for itself.

I also own the majority of the Warhammer 40K RPGs and all of the Star Wars D20 books. And I got the Numenera RPG books for backing Torment: Tides of Numenera on Kickstarter. Problem is there is no-one to play them with! Argh!

Speaking of which... any Aussie on here that would like a game?

Race - Human

Class - Jedi / Sentinel Level - 4 / 0.5
Battle Log: Holo-Log

Current Challenge: Nil

I am, or was; no one around in my life who plays them anymore.

I loved DMing D&D, especially 3.5. I also enjoyed running Rifts and playing in my friend's Werewolf the Apocalypse game. There are many, many more that I have played either as a DM or a player but the above were my favourite.

Numenera looks great, I had read about it on Kickstarter but never pledged because I have too many RPG books taking up space and collecting dust.

A couple games I wish I got to play more of we're Exalted and Aeon.

Sent while in the bathroom.

• Like 2

"If you're not waking up in the morning and living your life like a ritual of creation or destruction or life or death or love or hate then you really are just dieing one minute at a time."

- Paul "Grimnir" Waggener of the Wolves of Vinland

Mogi Shade, Level 4 Yeti

[STR 6] [DEX 8] [STA 4] [CON 5] [WIS 4] [CHA 4]

Current Challenge: [05]

JJSOMMER.COM | Tumblr | Instagram

Quinte Outdoor Club Meet-Up Group [ON, Canada]

I forgot to mention Advanced Fighting Fantasy, it was the game I cut my teeth on as a kid and it will always be special for me.

Sent while in the bathroom.

"If you're not waking up in the morning and living your life like a ritual of creation or destruction or life or death or love or hate then you really are just dieing one minute at a time."

- Paul "Grimnir" Waggener of the Wolves of Vinland

Mogi Shade, Level 4 Yeti

[STR 6] [DEX 8] [STA 4] [CON 5] [WIS 4] [CHA 4]

Current Challenge: [05]

JJSOMMER.COM | Tumblr | Instagram

Quinte Outdoor Club Meet-Up Group [ON, Canada]

I played old style with pencil and paper DnD back in the 1970s... In the early 80s I played Middle Earth a lot and a couple of spin off games (old age is preventing me from remembering the name right now.)  Once long ago I had all the books and a huge collection of dice.   That box never made it to the new house one move, and I never got it back.  I stopped playing for a decade or two and then found some single player RPG games on my old Windows 98 system.   Found NeverWinterNights and played that online in a perpetual world mod.  Really loved that for years, but life required I give it up and pay attention to being a responsible grown up again... *le sigh* and I gave it up.    I have never heard of the other games listed... and I'm reluctant to find out for the lure of computer games taking over again.  LOL

• Like 1

D&D 2.5 (AD&D) in mostly homebrew settings. My first moderator experience was on a play by post (PbP) AD&D board on the old msn forums before they got shut down. I played mostly PbP, but a few games in person tabletop. It was always so hard to get a solid group together.

I tried getting some PbP games set up here, but people always disappear. They're very slow developing, a single dungeon run taking over a year most of the time, and people lose interest and disappear. The focus is more on the writing. I've had games in the past where it could take a full day to read through one dungeon crawl, which spanned 40-50 forum pages, but it read like an epic fantasy due to the quality of writing. It's a shame that most of them got deleted when msn shut down.

One site I was a member of, but not a moderator on, tried keeping the boards alive by migrating to yuku, but it didn't work out. One really sad thing is that we used to format our posts to have all kinds of colorful backgrounds and pictures, but all the formatting broke with the move. I've included a few links below for perusing some of the awesome adventures I talked about above.

Moderated Threads- These are games that were still in progress when everything died.

Games Gone By- archived adventures that were completed.

Narrative Threads- These were threads where one person told a story by playing all of the characters and DMing themself. The user "Scarr" was exceptional at this, and his threads here are probably the most worth reading on the site. I'm especially fond of "Something Wicked this Way Comes".

• Like 2

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

HOW HAS THIS THREAD ESCAPED ME FOR SO LONG???

Into my 14th DMing year, played a bunch of systems, still a bazillion I'd like to try out. Common denominator, the weirder and grittier, the better. Started off D&d 3rd edition, when I go over that way I play 3,5 but I've been intrigued to try out v5. Favourite D&d worlds/settings would be Planescape (duh), Greyhawk, Ravenloft and Krynn. White Wolf's stuff never really appealed to me, played some V:tM (modern and Dark Ages) and a little Orpheus, intrigued to try out Mage and I can't seem to find people who want to play Wraith :D

Other stuff... big fan of the Warhammer Fantasy RPG 2nd ed (payed loads of $ to get the rarest, out-of-print books) and would like to try Black Crusade, Rogue Trader and maybe Dark Heresy. Pathfinder looks amazing, still haven't found people to play it with. Shadowrun is my go-to for more modern stuff, been playing 3rd edition and recently converted to 5th. Call of Cthulhu is another favourite (Hastur's avatar held me in the palm of his hand, visited Carcosa, maintained sanity). Began the Witchfire trilogy ages ago, recently got the Iron Kingdoms rulebook and I'm hyped to play. Oh, and Midnight RPG was great too.

Lvl 60 Multitasker

Baking (2)🧁, Charisma (4), Cooking (6)🍳🍳🍳🍳Fitness (1)💪,  Gourmet Cooking (2)👨‍🍳👨‍🍳, Handiness (0), Media Production (6)🎬, Mixology (3)🍸, Research & Debate (1),  Video Gaming (3), Wellness (1)💆‍♂️

Doublepost, but forgot to mention Eclipse Phase (read about it, want to play), Conan RPG, Numenera (looks weird, have to play before an oppinion), want to try Dark Sun, played All Flesh Must Be Eaten, Legend of the 5 Rings (played both d&d and AEG versions), want to try Star Wars... gosh the list could go on forever.

Lvl 60 Multitasker

Baking (2)🧁, Charisma (4), Cooking (6)🍳🍳🍳🍳Fitness (1)💪,  Gourmet Cooking (2)👨‍🍳👨‍🍳, Handiness (0), Media Production (6)🎬, Mixology (3)🍸, Research & Debate (1),  Video Gaming (3), Wellness (1)💆‍♂️

since the majority of people are spread out so far this could be an option to get something rolling in the NF community.

http://roll20.net/

• Like 2

Level 1 Nord  Epic Quest

STR 3 | DEX 3 | STA 2 | CON 3 | WIS 3.5 | CHA 4

Original Challenge | 1ST | 2nd | joining the bebopReturn to the rangers |

Spoiler

"They wouldn't mind a corpse of you. Now, you can luxuriate in a nice jail cell, but if your hand touches metal, I swear, by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you." - Mal

I do A LOT of play by post gaming via http://rpol.net 

Haven't tried roll20 yet, but have heard good things.

Half-Ork Scout Leader
Running PRs : 5K 24m16s | 10K 53m32s | 15K 1h18m09s | Half Marathon 2h1m44s | Marathon 4h42m2s 
Past Challenges #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13  #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22
                               #23 #24 #25 #26 #27 #28 #29 #30 #31 #32 #33 #34 #35 #36 #37 #38 #39 #40
Current Challenge Don't Call It A Comeback

im not a roleplayer, but have always been intrigued by D&D and have been willing to give it a shot, but most people I know and are friends with are not the typical types to be interested in anything "nerdy" or "odd/strange" so my only real option for playing would be in an online community.

• Like 2

Level 1 Nord  Epic Quest

STR 3 | DEX 3 | STA 2 | CON 3 | WIS 3.5 | CHA 4

Original Challenge | 1ST | 2nd | joining the bebopReturn to the rangers |

Spoiler

"They wouldn't mind a corpse of you. Now, you can luxuriate in a nice jail cell, but if your hand touches metal, I swear, by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you." - Mal

I just did the one play by post last year here on NF. The writing is so wonderfully motivating. I developed my character's personality with so much more depth and idiosyncrasies that she really popped. I would love to do that again.

I am a D&D gal, but other games are hardly off limits to try.

The Way

Better Now than Back Then

Better Now than Later On

I've run a few games on roll20.net, it's good for the tactical part, while PbP is more story and character driven. I'm just curious whether we're discussing something fitness-related, like the RPG Fanatics, or is it a free-for-all theme. Also, a heavy schedule and the time difference from the US are not helping my case :/

• Like 1

Lvl 60 Multitasker

I am a massive RP nerd.  I play and run D&D (3.5, 4, and was a playtest GM for NEXT, which I guess is 5th edition now) and 7th Sea.  I also play or have played Legend of the 5 Rings, new World of Darkness base game, Dark Heresy, Rogue Trader, d20 Modern, and Changeling.  I also, at some point, would like to try out other World of Darkness games or Call of Cthulhu.

Currently, I'm running a small in-person 7th Sea campaign for a few local friends, and may be joining a Skype-based D&D game.  I've never used Roll20, but my best friend loves it, so I might give it a shot at some point.  Skype actually works wonderfully well for bigger groups, in my experience, since it allows the GM to share private information with players in chat, players to engage in side-RP when they're not part of the main action, and everyone to keep track of everything.  (Usually, in my group, main action was done in voice-chat, side-action was in the group text-chat, and anything the other player characters weren't privy to was in private text chat.) 

I'm definitely happiest when I have a weekly game to look forward to, whether I'm playing or GMing.  I get super into world- and character-building, and could happily spend an entire session in RP, with no combat ever coming up.  That's the main reason that I favor the AEG systems, and 7th Sea in particular, since unlike D&D, they're built in such a way that the rules encourage seeking solutions other than combat.  (Also, both 7th Sea and 5 Rings are excellent for running the occasional horror-themed adventure.)

• Like 2

Dwarven Adventurer, level 0.

"We stand upon the precipice of change. The world fears the inevitable plummet into the abyss. Watch for that moment... and when it comes, do not hesitate to leap. It is only when you fall that you learn whether you can fly." (Flemeth, Dragon Age II)

Target Weight: 200lbs | Starting Weight: 262lbs | Current Weight: 253lbs

I'm all about that bass.

I have GM'd pathfinder for my friends. It was fun but daunting. One of my friends had difficulty with the math so I had to do all of that for his character, and the others didn't like thought-provoking fights. So I had to make encounters fairly easy and boring... So it was kind of draining.

We didn't really RP much, half the group wasn't really into that part. But we did manage to have some fun scenarios. One friend getting grabbed by a dragon, falling off a cliff, etc. He always liked to try and use the rules against me... It's tough to strictly follow the rules when half the group is there just to have fun and doesn't bother to read any of them.

• Like 1

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Progress, not perfection."

"Persist, Pivot, or Concede." - Matthew McConaughey

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Rants, Thoughts, and Workouts-->Battle Log | The Improvening (Current Challenge)

I would love a RPG free for all theme, but either sounds like fun.

Anyone else?

I'm in, just like I said. Anyone else?

I get super into world- and character-building, and could happily spend an entire session in RP, with no combat ever coming up.  That's the main reason that I favor the AEG systems, and 7th Sea in particular, since unlike D&D, they're built in such a way that the rules encourage seeking solutions other than combat.  (Also, both 7th Sea and 5 Rings are excellent for running the occasional horror-themed adventure.)

Same here about the RP>Combat. Part of the reason why I love Planescape so much. The world is filled with powerful beings, so drawing swords is a last resort if you want to stay alive. If you don't stay alive, you go to spend eternity in the plane corresponding to your alignment (after a visit to the Abyss or Nine Hells of Baator, players tend to drop the "I'm evil, I do what I want" behavior). The very world itself is shaped by the belief of the people in it, so one's beliefs and the actions done because of them end up physically altering the world. Sometimes it's more of a philosophical discussion with some dice involved. It's mindblowing, really.

• Like 4

Lvl 60 Multitasker

I'm in, just like I said. Anyone else?

Where would this take place? On the forums?

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Progress, not perfection."

"Persist, Pivot, or Concede." - Matthew McConaughey

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Rants, Thoughts, and Workouts-->Battle Log | The Improvening (Current Challenge)

Where would this take place? On the forums?

No idea. I've a little bit of experience in Play by Post on forums, but I'm relatively new to NF to know how things work around here. Guess we should make it more specific, like a spreadsheet of those interested and a poll on method/game to be played?

We played a play-by-post in the off-topic threads. Not sure of other possibilities. I'm game for anything basically!

The alternative would be online gaming, whether by Skype or an online rpg tool. Both have their pros and cons, I lean towards PbP due to time differences and the difficulty of getting everyone around the (virtual) table undistracted and at the same time. I mean, real life happens, it's not easy getting a group to play around an actual table in the first place. Btw Teri, any chance you could link that PbP from the off-topic threads?

• Like 2

Lvl 60 Multitasker