Gamer Help

I was wondering if I could have a bit of gamer help. I have an older computer that's running XP and a bunch of older games.  The problem is that I just got a new tv and it might not be compatible with my current older computer setup, which would mean updating the comp, and then I don't know about updating the games.  Are there updated versions of a lot of games from the 800x600 resolution era? With the old game running on the old computer with the old tv, it works perfectly, but I might run into a snag.  Some games:

Diablo 1

Starcraft 1 + Brood Wars

Age of Empires II

Quake III Arena

*Possibly* The Sims 2

I started doing some digging around but I was curious if anyone knew before I started a big search on what I could do in this situation.

Thanks!

Well, as a techie...

Are you getting a new computer?  If so, make sure it has a processor that supports virtualization.  THen there are a couple of options for creating a virtual machine on your new computer and "importing" your old computer into the virtual machine....

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

Well, as a techie...

Are you getting a new computer?  If so, make sure it has a processor that supports virtualization.  THen there are a couple of options for creating a virtual machine on your new computer and "importing" your old computer into the virtual machine....

Currently it's an old computer  (10-15 years) which has windows XP on it.  I wasn't planning on getting a new computer since all the old games currently run on the computer. However, if need be (I'll know in a day or two when I get a certain cord) I can always see about upgrading and then working from there.

Well, as a techie...

How does one do this!?!  Need to know, I must.  

I doubt you'd have any problem running any of those games on Win7. I have personally seen SC1, AoE2 and Q3A. I also know there is a HD texture pack update for AoE2 for newer machines.

For the record, AoE2 does not work with Windows 8.  I've tried multiple times and while it will install/load, the resolution is totally borked and basically unplayable.   

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

For the record, AoE2 does not work with Windows 8.  I've tried multiple times and while it will install/load, the resolution is totally borked and basically unplayable.   

Hence the need to virtualize XP.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Right.  But how? 

I always just downloaded some freeware when I had to do it, but it's been years. Wildross will know.

• Like 1

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Here's a summary  (assuming you are running Windows)

http://www.maketecheasier.com/4-free-virtualization-software-solutions-for-windows/

The best is probably Virtual Box.  https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

If you have a Linux box, there are other options as well.

• Like 1

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker