Petra's Log, Supplemental

Hi Everyone,

This is my battle log.

Below are the things I want to achieve - my quests, my goals, my hit list, call it what you will... (Be warned: it's long...)

Background: ex-ballet dancer-fencer, current violinist, wants to get into kick-butt shape

Goals:

Running:

Run 10 miles.

Run a half-marathon

Run a marathon

Run a sub-nine minute mile.  (Sun, Sept 7, 2014, Mile 3 of 5, 8:57!)

Run a sub-eight minute mile

Run the Leadville 100 (at some point before I die...)

Strength training:

Do one real pushup  (Mon, Sept. 29, 2014

Do 10 real pushups

Do a pull-up

Salmon ladder! (because it looks cool)

Skill-related:

Enroll in a martial arts class and obtain a belt, if said martial art does those things

Try a different martial art

Become a better ballroom dancer

Try archery

Try parkour

I think that's it, but I'm sure I'll add to it as I manage to cross more things off of the list.

For the rebellion,

Petra

• Like 1

Petra

Assassin Level 0

Battle Log, Intro, Challenge #1 (Sept 15)

Today's battle log update will also include my workout summary for last week.

To get down to business...

Monday, September 1: Hike with the family. Approx. 2 miles.

Tuesday, September 2: 3 mi. run

Wednesday, September 3: Nerdfighter Beginner Body Weight Training (after this shortened to NF BBWT)(all pushups are incline unless otherwise stated), 3x10 10lb dumbbell rows (pull-up training), 20 1-stair jumps (PK training)

Thursday, September 4: 3 mi. run

Friday, September 5: REST DAY

Saturday, September 6: 3 mi. run, NF BBWT, 3x10 10lb dumbbell rows, 10 1-stair jumps, 10 2-stair jumps

Today, Sunday, September 7:

5-mile run (longest in recent memory), average pace, just over 10:00 a mile; mile 3, 8:57 (A personal best!!)

Summary: 

Good week in terms of workouts. I did what I planned on doing, and I'm excited to up my dumbbell rows to 15 lbs for next week...

For the rebellion,

Petra

Petra

Assassin Level 0

Monday, September 8, 2014:

NF BBWT with modifications - incline pushups (which are getting easier!), and a 20s. plank

3x10 15lb. dumbbell rows

20 2-stair jumps.

Progress: longer planks, more weight on the rows, and more 2-stair jumps. 

Future: keep increasing the stair jumps to 3 stairs. Keep dumbbell weight for this week.

For the rebellion,

Petra

Petra

Assassin Level 0

Awesome goals! I'm impressed by your sub-9 minute mile! I have never, ever been able to run faster than a 9:47 outdoors (I can do it on a treadmill or elliptical, but I don't count that as the same thing as running outside). 

I assume you've read Born to Run? I used to live in Colorado and went to Leadville for the Leadville 100 (to watch people cross the finish line, not to participate). I've had 2 friends successfully complete the race. Those are my insane trail running/mountain climbing friends. Good luck! =)

Aeshnidae, The Girl with the Dragonfly Tattoo

Human Ranger

Level 4 | STR 9 | DEX 8 | STA 5 | CON 5 | WIS 8 | CHA 3

Aeshnidae Flips the Bird at Being Sick | Battle Log | Skull Crushers III

Intro Post | MFP | 2nd Challenge

"Fire bad, tree pretty."

"Nothing but the rain..."

Awesome goals! I'm impressed by your sub-9 minute mile! I have never, ever been able to run faster than a 9:47 outdoors (I can do it on a treadmill or elliptical, but I don't count that as the same thing as running outside). 

I assume you've read Born to Run? I used to live in Colorado and went to Leadville for the Leadville 100 (to watch people cross the finish line, not to participate). I've had 2 friends successfully complete the race. Those are my insane trail running/mountain climbing friends. Good luck! =)

Thanks! I just, well, shut off my brain, listened to my podcasts, and kept running. 

And yes, I've read Born to Run multiple times. I grew up in CO, so I've driven through Leadville a few times... I guess some of the insane has crept into my blood as well...

• Like 1

Petra

Assassin Level 0

Wednesday, September 10:

Yesterday was an "inadvertent rest day." Well, what I really mean by that is that Norbert had arrived, we had rain all day, and I didn't feel like doing much. So I didn't.

However, today is considerably better. The sun is out, and I made up what I was supposed to do yesterday today. (A 3-mi. run)

So,

Run: 3 mi, (new PB average pace for a 3 mi. run 10:56!)

NF BBWT, with prisoner squats and 20s planks

3x10 15lb dumbbell rows

20 3-stair jumps 

Summary: my fork outran my (nonexistent) workout yesterday, so that's depressing. But I'm back on track today, both diet and exercise wise. 

Here's to more days of being on-plan!

For the rebellion,

Petra

Petra

Assassin Level 0

Thursday, September 11:

Almost didn't do anything today, but I dragged myself out for a run. 

4 mi: (46:53, with a 8:36 mi. 2, which is fairly amazing, but all downhill...)

Switching up my rest day from Friday to Sunday, on the rationale that it's better to have my rest day when I'm really jetlagged and less likely to exercise (I'm taking a transatlantic flight Saturday/Sunday)

For the rebellion,

Petra

• Like 1

Petra

Assassin Level 0

Friday, September 12:

I wore three layers for my run this morning. Three layers! It's not even October yet...

But anyway.

3 mi. run, 35:00

NF BBWT, with 25 prisoner squats, incline pushups, and 20s planks in the circuit

2x10 20lb dumbbell rows, 1x10 15lb dumbbell rows

20 3-stair jumps

Feeling the need for a rest day - just tomorrow's long run, then I can take the day off on Sunday!

For the rebellion,

Petra

Petra

Assassin Level 0

Yikes, three layers??? We're still seesawing between disgustingly humid summer weather (in the 90s) and nice almost-fall weather (not humid, in the 70s) here in the Washington, DC area. 

Human Ranger

"Fire bad, tree pretty."

Monday, September 15:

6WC day 1:

Things so far: First day back in the UK, but no jetlag yet (yay!). Did a lot of walking today, because, well, big city, and my workout.

I'm changing things up a little before my workout routine gets boring. So, here goes..

Warmup (a few minutes on the treadmill, then some loosening up things)

Circuit (3 times)

30 squats

12 incline pushups

10 dumbbell rows at 10 kilos (22 lbs for you people still not on the metric system)

25s plank

40 Jumping jacks.

I'm thinking of adding lunges in for next time. (You'll notice this is kind of a blend of the Angry Birds and the Beginner BWT workout...)

Had a healthy breakfast and lunch (smoothie, and a salad with tuna) and will be making dinner at home, so that'll be healthy as well.

For the rebellion,

Petra

Petra

Assassin Level 0

Wednesday, September 17, 2014:

Bodyweight workout:

30 squats

10 dumbbell rows (2x10 12k, 1x10 10K) (Improvement!)

12 pushups (well, 2 sets of 6 per circuit)

25s plank

26 lunges

40 jumping jacks

Adding lunges definitely helped (aka made it harder, which I think was the goal). Not as bubbly post-workout today as I was yesterday, which is a shame. Checked my form on my planks and my pushups, made a few tweaks, but overall, pretty good.

Run tomorrow, then a rest day on Friday.

For the rebellion,

Petra

• Like 1

Petra

Assassin Level 0

September 18, 2014:

The sun is fighting through the fog today!

I did a 4 mi. run (43:07, which is an average pace of 10:17, which I'm pretty pleased with.)

I ate a bit much last night. Not bad stuff, just too much of dinner, and I really didn't feel great this morning. Which is interesting, because before all of this, I would, could, and did, eat more (and more bad stuff), with less ill effects.  

Conclusion: I like having a more sensitive stomach - it helps me not vary too much from the straight and narrow. (NB, I'm not calling this a cheat meal for the purpose of the challenge, because it was all good for me things, things that, when I don't have second helpings that I'm not actually hungry for, I should be eating)  

Side note: I had less protein today than I've been making sure to have lately. (I eat fish, no meat, and left to my own devices, I tend to eat little fish) Maybe that's why I overate? 

I'm on track again today, and, although yesterday was kinda crappy (I discovered I have a funeral to go to on Monday, which means moving some things around, and that I need to cancel a trip I just booked flights for because some school-related thing came up. The school-related thing is pretty cool, but I was looking forward to the trip...), today's looking much better.

For the rebellion,

Petra

Petra

Assassin Level 0

Saturday, September 20:

6WC, Week One, Day Six:

I can hardly believe that I'm almost a week in - a sixth done - with this challenge! I feel like it's been no time at all. I have so much I still need to do to reach my goals. (Calming voice in head goes "It's ok. You have five more weeks to go. Lots of time.")

Today I really didn't want to work out. I slept in, I read for most of the day (great decision. Seriously), then finally got off my butt and practiced a little.

But I ran, and I did my workout, and, as always, I'm glad I did. Onwards.

So:

3 mi run (3.17, actually, 30:40, with a Personal Best average pace of 9:40 (yay!!))

Body weight circuit: (three circuits)

30 squats

12 incline pushups

10 dumbbell rows (12 k)

26 lunges

25s plank

40 jumping jacks

Tomorrow's my long run - 6 miles.

For the rebellion,

Petra

Petra

Assassin Level 0

3 mi. run, 33:23 (Loving running at sea level - it feels so much easier!!!)

I'm sad to have lost my high-altitude privileges. When I lived in Colorado and would visit family in Maryland, jogging was SO EASY. 

Human Ranger

"Fire bad, tree pretty."

Oh got it! You'll get there soon, I have no doubt!

Thanks! (Still a long way away, but onwards and upwards, right?)

I'm sad to have lost my high-altitude privileges. When I lived in Colorado and would visit family in Maryland, jogging was SO EASY. 

I know. I just finished my long run here at sea level (I've been here a week now) and my legs are kind of dead. But at least we keep running, right?

• Like 1

Petra

Assassin Level 0

Sunday, September 21:

6WC, Week One, Day Seven

6 mi. long run. (1:02:39, 10:17 av pace)

I'm really pleased with my pace - it wasn't too hot, or too cold today, which was nice as well. So, another week completed with all workouts as scheduled. yay!

For next week: More of the same!!

For the rebellion,

Petra

• Like 1

Petra

Assassin Level 0

Monday, September 22, 2014:

6WC, Week Two, Day One:

Progress report: 153.0 lbs. No change from last week.

I can't measure myself to see if I've lost inches - I left my tape measure at home and I haven't replaced it yet. But my clothes are fitting better, and, based on comparing the pics I took today to the pics I took about two weeks ago, I think I look different. So, at least I'm making progress. I'm also tracking my calories as of a few days ago, which I hope will make a difference. I will reevaluate this for next week.

Workout:

BWT, this time three circuits of:

35 squats (up from 30)

10 incline pushups (focusing on form and completing the set as one set of ten, not two sets of five)

10 dumbbell rows at 12k

26 lunges

30s plank (up from 25s)

40 jumping jacks

Final thoughts:

I'm staying the course, although the results are scarcely coming as quickly as I would like. I'm also going to be adding some stretching. It's something I probably should have been doing all along, but as I'm feeling quite tight in my upper back and I don't want to injure myself, it's become mandatory. 

Onwards and upwards, right?

For the rebellion,

Petra

Great pace, especially on a longer run! 

Thanks!

Petra

Assassin Level 0