Trembriele Battles the Free Magic

Ooh, I'm impressed by your consistency :) I used to follow you back when you did challenges, and you're still here kicking incrementally more ass! And you're working towards one-handed push-ups? I experimented with working on those a while back and they're deceptively tough, so I have respect for you chipping away with those (and with success, no less).

Out of interest, what incline height to you use? (e.g. 80cm table) And do you do both left hand and right hand?

Also, have you ever considered skipping through some levels if your progress is good (e.g. if 2,2,2,2,2 pull-ups is easy you might skip to 3,3,3,2,2 or whatever immediately). I guess there's a danger of being too ambitious.

• Like 1

Level 25 Cyborg Assassin

[ STR 36.75 | DEX 26.00 | STA 28.00 | CON 31.25 | WIS 29.25 | CHA 24.50 ]

current 5-week challenge: March 2020

external websites with my resources for...

fitness & breathwork | mental math & mind sports | motivation & productivity

My head and face have been worse.  It hurts the left side of you head to have anything touching it, even to lay it on a pillow after taking extra strength Tylenol.  My sinus surgery is June 21 and it will be at least 2-3 weeks after tht until I can resume workouts.  I'm not sure how many I'll be able to get in before then given the increased pain levels and the fact that I have to wean off all my supplements (that help with migraines) before surgery due to bleeding risk.

On 6/1/2017 at 7:47 PM, SymphonicDan said:

Ooh, I'm impressed by your consistency :) I used to follow you back when you did challenges, and you're still here kicking incrementally more ass! And you're working towards one-handed push-ups? I experimented with working on those a while back and they're deceptively tough, so I have respect for you chipping away with those (and with success, no less).

Out of interest, what incline height to you use? (e.g. 80cm table) And do you do both left hand and right hand?

Also, have you ever considered skipping through some levels if your progress is good (e.g. if 2,2,2,2,2 pull-ups is easy you might skip to 3,3,3,2,2 or whatever immediately). I guess there's a danger of being too ambitious.

Hey there!

I haven't been as consistent as I want to be lately because of migraines and sinus issues.  Part of me feels like a wuss for not pushing through, but part of me feels like that kind of pain is my body's way of telling me to rest and heal.

I'm currently at the back of a chair on my push-ups.  I had to start with my feet apart and then restarted the progression with my feel almost touching.  The chair is 75 cm high.  I do left side first (because it's weaker) followed immediately by the right side.

I've been leery of skipping too much on progressions because it may not leave me a place to go later.  The pull-ups are definitely not too easy though ;). I already know I'll need to restart them with better form.  Growing my arm strength is more of a struggle than leg work, and it seems like I need to work progressions more on arms than legs before I see strength gains.  I'm at a point now with the advanced one-legged squats that I'll have to figure out where else I can go body-weight wise or start adding weights somehow.  Any suggestions?

I'm anxious for the sinus surgery and recovery.  I'm hoping that it helps improve things enough that I can start again on the handstand push-up work.

• Like 2

Nice with the push-ups... I got about as far as you when I was training for the 1-arm push-up last year but stopped training because I don't have your impressive consistency :P

Maybe I can work on that next... using a similar training progression to yours.

Pull-ups are notoriously harder for women because you carry a higher BF% than us guys (10% for a fit man; 18% for a fit woman) and it's unhealthy to push much lower than that. So just remember that buts men's standards, you're doing 2,2,2,2,2 weighted pull-ups! I suspect your problem is that your arms have a small amount of strong muscle, rather than a large amount of weak muscle - which is a good place to be, but you'll benefit from increasing the volume if you want faster progress (something like 4,2,2 pull-ups + 8,7 on an easier variation that you like). But the system you've kept with has given you good results generally so I'd feel bad about suggesting modifications!

For the advanced shrimp squats, I just googled (to find out what they are!) and the next variations are supposed to be:

• elevated shrimp squat
  • advanced elevated shrimp squat

Alternatives I'd recommend, depending on what seems most interesting, are:

• weighted pistol squats
  • slow [whatever variation] squats
  • jumping pistol squats (careful!)
  • hopak dance moves ("cossack dancing") although this is the only thing I've ever tried that made my knees complain
  • jumping in general - onto boxes, over things, touching your toes mid-air with straight legs, backflips haha

I used to be a high-jumper so I can give you more ideas about jumping if you need.

Hope the sinus problems disappear one way or another! :(

• Like 1

Level 25 Cyborg Assassin

What you call:

On 6/5/2017 at 8:43 PM, SymphonicDan said:

impressive consistency 

My family and friends call "pig-headed stubborness."  I take after my grandfather who once took being told he was as stubborn as a donkey as a compliment.

Thansk for all the good info!

i will definitely do the elevated versions next before moving on to some jumping.  I'm not going to do jumping squats though because I'm a somewhat notorious klutz, and an injury is *not* what we're going for here.

• Like 1

Pull

Weighted Hip Thruster/ One-leg Kick Back: 1, 1, 1, 1, 1

Pull-up Progression #5 - pull-up : 3, 3, 3, 2, 2

Horizontal Pull # 7 inverted rows, legs elevated, one leg extended:  5, 5, 5, 4, 4

Last one for awhile - surgery at noon tomorrow.  I won't be allowed to bend over, lay flat, or lift anything for at least a week.  Full recovery will take 2-4 weeks depending on how quickly I heal.
  • Like 1

Ohh, that's some harsh rehab :( Hoping that it all goes well and you'll be in good shape again in a few short weeks!

• Like 1

Level 25 Cyborg Assassin

First workout back today.  I'm feeling good because he jut suctioned out my sinuses again yesterday.  I will likely have some congestion building again until my last post-op / suctoining on 7/20.  I'm more tired than I expected to be and I wanted to eat like a horse the week after surgery.  I started all my supplements again on Wednesday.  I lost my sense of taste completely for a week, but it's back now.

The workout went well, but I really had to push through.  The exercises weren't the problem; I had to push through the 'tired' not necessarily using the muscles.  I feel better for having done it though.

Push

Squat Progression #13 - advanced shrimp squats : 2, 2, 2, 2, 1

Overhead press 3, 2, 2, 2, 2

Leg Raise Progression #8 - hanging, bent leg raises : 5, 5, 5, 4, 4

Push-up Progression #13 - incline one-arm push-ups: 2, 2, 2, 2, 2

• Like 2

The past two days were rough - migraine and unrelenting sinus pain coupled with complete exhaustion.  It was a challenge finding a way to lay my head on a pillow that didn't make it hurt.  Today is better and the sinus flushing is getting easier with much less coming out.  I should have done today's workout on Tuesday, but I figure I can't give myself flak for taking extra rest days right now.

I will definitely need to restart these arm exercises and work the progression again before trying the next one.  The leg portion of today went swimmingly.

Pull

Weighted Hip Thruster/ One-leg Kick Back: 2, 2, 1, 1, 1

Pull-up Progression #5 - pull-up : 3, 3, 3, 3, 2

Horizontal Pull # 7 inverted rows, legs elevated, one leg extended:  5, 5, 5, 5, 4

• Like 1

Impressed that you're working on one-arm push-ups - I tried them for a period last year and they were really tough (I never managed a proper one). Out of interest, how steep is the incline that you use, and how easily to you manage to keep your body horizontal rather than twisting away from the hand in contact with the ground as you push up? The latter is something I had difficulty with.

• Like 1

Level 25 Cyborg Assassin

On 7/19/2017 at 5:14 PM, SymphonicDan said:

Impressed that you're working on one-arm push-ups - I tried them for a period last year and they were really tough (I never managed a proper one). Out of interest, how steep is the incline that you use, and how easily to you manage to keep your body horizontal rather than twisting away from the hand in contact with the ground as you push up? The latter is something I had difficulty with.

The chair back is 76 cm high.  I did one progression at this height with feet shoulder-width apart and now I'm working a progression at the same height with my feet at my normal standing distance apart.  I found that I really need to keep my hand slightly more centered than I would for a two-armed push-up to offset the tendency to twist.  

• Like 1