The Ballard of DaveInBris

This is a story of fleeting success, woe and redemption. Well, still working on the redemption part, but I'm sure more than a few of the Rebellion are in that same boat...

Since winning the September 2010 28-day challenge (here), I've:

• Gone from 78.5kg to 100kg =(
  • Buried two grandparents =-(
  • Help my parents move after their lease ended =/
  • Help put another grandparent in a care home due to intense dementia =(
  • Had an epic two month flu =-/
  • Quit my squash playing due to flu, lack of time, lack of motivation =/
  • Quit my swimming, same reasons (plus winter was cold) =(
  • Sold all my weights gear to pay down debt =(
  • Realize my fitness has dropped to the point where I can do just the one chin up. =(
  • Got a promotion at work =)
  • Got a second promotion at work =D
  • Hand-picked to work on a "special project" run directly from the office of the CIO o_0
  • My employer has agreed to fund me going back to uni part time to get my Masters in IT o_0
  • Booked flights and accommodation for a return to Japan (22 sleeps! =) =) )

And the big one:

• Got engaged to my beautiful darling Mel! =) =) =)

So, inspired by the amazing success of Saint here, I'm getting back in shape before the wedding. A little bit of fitness before hitting Tokyo wouldn't hurt either =p

So how am I doing this? Planning on using a three-step approach:

1st - Clean up my diet. I dabbled in going full-paleo back in September, and it was working for me. I'm planning on transitioning back across to paleo slowly, and taking Mel along with me for the ride. Not in a particular hurry on this one, so long as I cut out the crap/start dropping carbs/start emphasizing paleo foods over time.

2nd - Getting some fitness back. I've sold my iron and gear awhile ago, and I'm hardcore saving for Japan/our wedding next May. So, buying more gear is out, as are gym memberships. Instead, based on some recommendations from friends, I invested in a second-hand copy of Convict Conditioning and I'm attempting to get to the highest levels of hardcore bodyweight progression that I can handle. Since a week ago Monday, I've hit progression-standard incline pushups, progression-standard jackknife squats, working on intermediate horizontal pulls (13 & 10, aiming for 2x20), working on intermediate knee tucks (too much belly in the way, best is 25/20, aiming for 2x25), progression-standard short bridges and 1 minute of wall headstands. Mel is working out with me =)

3rd - Get back and be more active on NerdFitness! You guys rock at providing advice, support, general BS.

So, yeah. Go team. Whooo! Etc.

My Workout Log: Ass Getting Kicked. || My Beach 2012 Photolog: WINTER Beach 2012.

Convict Conditioning progression:

PushUps: Lvl3 || Leg Raises: Lvl3

Squats: Lvl7 || Bridges: Lvl4

PullUps: Lvl2 || Handstand Pushups: Lvl1 o_0

Happy to supply all the general BS you want, mate ;-)

Big plus for the bodyweight exercises -- I bet you'll be better at heavy lifting for it, when you get the chance to go back to weights.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

<something profound>

... ... ... ... uhhhh ... ... ... ...

</profoundness>

Big plus for the bodyweight exercises -- I bet you'll be better at heavy lifting for it, when you get the chance to go back to weights.

At the moment, heavy lifting == pullups and handstand pushups with my fat a$$ =p

My Workout Log: Ass Getting Kicked. || My Beach 2012 Photolog: WINTER Beach 2012.

Convict Conditioning progression:

PushUps: Lvl3 || Leg Raises: Lvl3

Squats: Lvl7 || Bridges: Lvl4

PullUps: Lvl2 || Handstand Pushups: Lvl1 o_0