PVP: 20 pounds, 10 weeks [Sept. 15 - Nov. 24]

My name seems to have vanished from the spreadsheet. O_O Good thing I noticed I guess. 

I entered in my start weight today, I  will probably re-update it closer to/on Monday. I am still putting together my "equipment" for my first week of the Basic Program from You Are Your Own Gym (YAYOG). I am trying to construct something to be able to do incline pushups, seated dips, et me ups and let me ins on. I'm probably going to go to the hardware store tonight to pick up some rebars and lumber... then enlist the help of my Dad and Brother lol. Maaaaah so excited!

{Chase the wind and touch the sky; I will fly}

im in for 20! ill add my name to the sheet later my work computer doesnt like google docs...

Some history. I was the tall lanky bean pole as a kid, then around the age of 11 my metabolism dropped drastically. I would still eat like i was the bean pole that could never gain weight, then about a year later i got heavy into gaming (DAMN you AoE2, SC, D2). This persisted throughout high school and despite being in JROTC and later the USMC DEP i would hover between 207-217. I graduated MC bootcamp at 160 which was the first and last time ive seen that weight since i was like 10. Got a desk job in the military and did a lot of boozing and junk food eating. Hovered right around 200Lbs for some years then dropped down to about 180 by the time i got out. I got out went to Afghanistan focused on heavy lifting put on quite a bit of muscle and stayed at around 190-200. Then i lost the motivation to workout and stopped. The next 9 months i have gradually gained more and more weight mainly due to boozing again and lots of carb heavy days. The last I checked i was at 234 which is the heaviest ive been.

How will i do this. The single biggest thing is i will reduce my boozing and carb (bread and pasta) and baked goods (I love baking! now when the wife and I bake we only have a small portion of it and she takes the rest to work),

Secondly I will be focusing on running and mobility (Yoga) for my workouts.

• Like 1

Level 1 Nord  Epic Quest

STR 3 | DEX 3 | STA 2 | CON 3 | WIS 3.5 | CHA 4

Original Challenge | 1ST | 2nd | joining the bebopReturn to the rangers |

Spoiler

"They wouldn't mind a corpse of you. Now, you can luxuriate in a nice jail cell, but if your hand touches metal, I swear, by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you." - Mal

I'm in.  Since I will be out of town for most of the challenge and won't really have easy access to a good gym (at least to my knowledge), I might as well try to up my Wilks scores by dropping some pounds!

"The world meets nobody halfway. When you want something, you gotta take it." -Lincoln Hawk, Over The Top.

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/39221-getting-strong-now-gijoes-battle-log/

Because I'm starting at such a low-strength place, I'll be doing a lot of the basic stuff. 

I love to dance. I also love bodyweight workouts. That's why Barre classes are such a perfect fit for me!

M - Morning Barre Class, Evening Rehearsal (50/50 Dance or Music)

T -  Evening Zumba OR Barre Class

W - Evening Rehearsal (50/50 Dance or Music)

Th - Rest

F   - Zumba OR BW

Sa - Morning Barre Class 

Su - 20 Minutes BW

In addition to my weekly schedule, I'm adding a mini Bathroom Workout to every workday bathroom trip (2-3 a day). I will be doing 10 Wall Push-Ups, 10 Bent Over Lateral Raises, and 10 Squats and/or Good Mornings.

The Mark Lauren YAYOG app is AMAZING, you guys. Totally worth the 2.99. It has 200 different BW workouts, with gifs showing you proper technique for each. And they're organized by body area AND difficulty.

• Like 2

Lolavictrola

Amazon Adventurer in Training

STR 1 | STA 12 | DEX 1 | CON 11 | WIS 3 | CHA 16 -- 44 PT Total

My Epic Quest   ::   Current Challenge  

Here comes the acronyms. And I'm lost.

YAYOG= you are your own gym, a book apparently

CoC (pronounced cock, by everyone) = Clash of Clans...a video game.

any others you need clarification with?

• Like 1

Druid Assassin Halfling

:) Druid  :)

Level 16, Current Quest: Bekah Returns

Spoiler

Your life does not get better by chance. It gets better by change.

- Jim Rohn

Added myself to the spreadsheet  :rapture:

Not sure I want to go for 20lb...I could stand to lose ~40 but 20 is a pretty high percentage of my total weight. May go for 15 instead.

Also, I really want to include this week lol because I expect to see a pound or so come off.

Growing up I participated in sports, and my family was health-conscious so I was in okay shape. In college my increased/inconsistent eating was offset by competitive tae kwon do. That was probably my athletic peak despite gaining ~10lb over college...some of that would be muscle weight. 

Then I graduated and joined the corporate world, working long extra hours to get my Master's through my employer. Over the course of a year or two I gained another 10lb, but also trained for a half marathon so was reasonably fit. The last couple years I struggled with IBS and went off/on paleo. Lost a few pounds, gained it back. Tried to get back into running, injured myself. Repeat.

Currently I'm sitting at 163lb and 37% BF. I miss my flat stomach, fitting my clothes, and feeling strong and capable. Since getting into NF a couple months ago I've moved from the Midwest to west coast...now that I've settled I hope to make progress towards my goals. Goal is 20-25% body fat for now, plus just feeling good. 

Current injuries/challenges: IBS, wrist cyst, plantar fascitis. Working towards my goal weight this challenge via tracking metrics and regular low-intensity activity interspersed with Crossfit.

Also I love to cook, which can work for or against my goals. Currently obsessed with soft scrambled eggs, Nom Nom Paleo's crispy chicken thighs, and tomatoes. (Also crispy Spanish-style potatoes, despite high carbs). 

Let's do this.

#1 #2 #3 #3.1 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #13.5 #14 #15 #16 # 17 #18 #19 #20 #21

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Level 18 Pixie Ranger

I'm in for 10.  I think that's about right with my current deficit and the time frame.

I was always a skinny (like skeletor thin) kid - until college.  After my Masters was over I'd gained 65 lbs.  I like beer.  I've since lost 26 of that over the past 3 or so years.  I'd mostly just like to lose a couple more inches off my waist, which I figure will end up looking like 10-15 lbs on the scale.  I'll be using a rolling average weight.  I'm okay with slow fat loss, it means I have to buy new clothes less often.  I'm just feeling a little squishy and muffin top-y right now, and would like to change that!

I eat what I want, but count calories and pay loose attention to macros.  My workouts have been derailed due to knee surgery, but I have about 1.5 hours of physio/day (soon to be ramped up in intensity with agility work), and I hit the gym for arm day twice a week when my work schedule allows.  I'm aiming for about 400 cal/day deficit (I've estimated my TDEE with previous data to be right around 2000, but I don't know how that's changed since surgery with muscle repairing and whatnot), so 11,200 cals/week.

Progress bar #006400 if it's not already taken.  If it is, surprise me. 

Since I'm seeing a lot of new faces, I'll do an intro. Lwow, I'm borrowing your format. :)

Background

I was a skinny little nerdy guy as a kid. My parents forced me into sports for a few years, but I didn't like them because of the parental pressure and ended up gaming all of the time.  Sick of being picked on throughout middle school for being a stick figure, I started lifting on one of those ridiculous infomercial machines that my dad had purchased. I was about 13 at the time. I broke out of my comfort zone post puberty and I played varsity football and swam in high school. With football season followed by swim, I was already bulking and cutting before I even knew what that meant. I was in the best shape of my life at the conclusion of swim my senior year.

Then came college and frat life, where drinking to excess and eating pizza at 3:00 AM were common occurrences. My alma mater had a great, albeit packed gym, and I frequented it; A frat vice president needs to stay in shape and it was a great place to meet sane women. College ended and I got my first job.... that had a Carl's Jr. across the street... where we got either a 10% or 20% discount depending on who took your order. They must have changed it from 20 to 10 at some point. Either way, I had a Double Western 6 Dollar Burger with onion rings and a large Coke with no ice (ice limits the amount of Coke you can put in, so I was getting as much soda as possible). These poor eating habits spilled over into my home eating habits. My girlfriend, now wife, and I were constantly rewarding ourselves with tasty greasy goodness and sweets to deal with the stress of becoming an adult. These bad habits spanned early 2011 to early this year. At my worst, I was 250lbs at 5'10.

I discovered Nerd Fitness and through StrongLifts 5x5, eating at a caloric deficit, weaning myself off of my beloved cola, and walking/the elliptical trainer, I lost 11lbs. Later on, I lost the full 20lbs of the first 20lb challenge, bringing me to 219lbs. This was at the end of the challenge before last. I injured my knee doing push presses, but I've seen an orthopedist and it is minor. PT should start next week. I stayed out of the gym for all of August and September up to this point. My wife and I both have birthdays in August and September, so there was quite a bit of indulgence, but our current use of Amazon Fresh delivery groceries has allowed us to plan our meals efficiently. I stepped on the scale this morning expecting to weigh 225lbs, but to my surprise, I was still 219lbs. Sweet.

Making it Happen

First and foremost, eating at a caloric deficit is what is really going to drive the fat loss. The way I do the whole macro thing is I set a Calorie maximum and a protein minimum. I let the fat and carbs fall where they may as long as it's below my Calorie limit. I follow the IIFYM philosophy of a calorie is a calorie. Last time I aimed for 1750kcal and 180g of protein. I'll start off with these numbers this challenge.

Second, I will be lifting to burn some extra calories and maintain my strength. Since I don't have use of my knees, I will be using Layne Norton's PHAT Routine - minus the leg days. What results is a 3x/week bro split of sorts. Thanks to Chairbrokey for pointing me in the direction of that routine.

Motivation

Look better

Have more energy

Gain more confidence for job interviews because of the above

Look great for the Mrs.

Be a source of inspiration for the Mrs.

Let's get it done, Rebels!

• Like 2

Level 2. Saiyan Warrior - Training with the Adventurers

STR: 4 | DEX: 2 | STA: 2 | CON: 4 | WIS: 1 | CHA: 1

Powering Up Phase 1 - Shedding the Fat

Starting Weight: 250lbs | Current Weight: 215lbs | Goal Weight: 200lbs

Guess I can just throw some quick background in for myself as well too.

I'm going to go for the whole 20.  And I have had great success in the past with rapid weight loss, so I definitely think its going to be attainable.

My weight has been floating in the 225-228 range as of late.  All the way through high school and college, I was SUPER skinny.  Looked anorexic even though I was eating 5000-6000 calories a day, every day.  6'1 and 145 lbs.  After I had to drop out of college I got a manual labor type job.  Through beer drinking and working hard, my weight jumped up to about 180.  Hands down the best shape, and best looking body wise I have ever been.  I would like to get back close to that, only with a bit more muscle (maybe 195ish).  Got a new job that involved a lot of chair time at a computer and lots of travel, so that meant lots of fast food as I was living out of hotels 7 months a year.  Ballooned up to 250 lbs.  Realized I had gotten fat, and wanted to do something about it, I changed up my diet again.  Lost 45 lbs in 3 months.   Was starting to love the way I looked, but let myself slip back into my old eating habits, lots of mexican food, italian food, sodas and sweet tea.  And that brings me up to my current weight.

My plan to drop the weight back down is simply to count calories, and try to eat more veggies so I can be full on less calories.  My daily maintenance is around 2800/day (through actual trial and error of counting, not using a calculator).  So i'm going to set my daily goal around 2100.  That is the number I used in the past.  As long as I keep it under 2300, that will be a "successful" day in my eyes.

Expect some big things from me.  I've got some weight to drop, and weights to lift!   And I'm really bad about not checking the forums, so if I'm not updating, someone please please PM me, and tell me to get off my ass and get it done!

• Like 1

"The world meets nobody halfway. When you want something, you gotta take it." -Lincoln Hawk, Over The Top.

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/39221-getting-strong-now-gijoes-battle-log/

Guess I can just throw some quick background in for myself as well too.

I'm going to go for the whole 20.  And I have had great success in the past with rapid weight loss, so I definitely think its going to be attainable.

My weight has been floating in the 225-228 range as of late.  All the way through high school and college, I was SUPER skinny.  Looked anorexic even though I was eating 5000-6000 calories a day, every day.  6'1 and 145 lbs.  After I had to drop out of college I got a manual labor type job.  Through beer drinking and working hard, my weight jumped up to about 180.  Hands down the best shape, and best looking body wise I have ever been.  I would like to get back close to that, only with a bit more muscle (maybe 195ish).  Got a new job that involved a lot of chair time at a computer and lots of travel, so that meant lots of fast food as I was living out of hotels 7 months a year.  Ballooned up to 250 lbs.  Realized I had gotten fat, and wanted to do something about it, I changed up my diet again.  Lost 45 lbs in 3 months.   Was starting to love the way I looked, but let myself slip back into my old eating habits, lots of mexican food, italian food, sodas and sweet tea.  And that brings me up to my current weight.

My plan to drop the weight back down is simply to count calories, and try to eat more veggies so I can be full on less calories.  My daily maintenance is around 2800/day (through actual trial and error of counting, not using a calculator).  So i'm going to set my daily goal around 2100.  That is the number I used in the past.  As long as I keep it under 2300, that will be a "successful" day in my eyes.

Expect some big things from me.  I've got some weight to drop, and weights to lift!   And I'm really bad about not checking the forums, so if I'm not updating, someone please please PM me, and tell me to get off my ass and get it done!

i feel you about the travel. my new job has me traveling up to about 280 days a year. and i recently found out how that can quickly degrade into fast food and not working out...

Level 1 Nord  Epic Quest

Spoiler

"They wouldn't mind a corpse of you. Now, you can luxuriate in a nice jail cell, but if your hand touches metal, I swear, by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you." - Mal

i feel you about the travel. my new job has me traveling up to about 280 days a year. and i recently found out how that can quickly degrade into fast food and not working out...

Oh yeah. Its super easy. To top it off a 72 hr work week is a slow week when I'm travelling now.

O I know all about that during exercises i can rack up 84-112 hours a week with no overtime....

Level 1 Nord  Epic Quest

Spoiler

So strategy...I looked back over my original couple threads when I lost 14kg in 14 weeks to see what I did.

- 50% Paleo

- 4 workouts a week

- Alcohol one night a week max

However looking at the logs I was walking 100km (62 miles) a month for 3 months on top of the 4 workouts. Thinking back, I am sure this played a big part so I better get my walk on again, dog's going to love me :)

• Like 5

Endor, LVL 45 Half-Elf Ranger 

PR and Motivation Log | Current Battle Log 

Feb-March 2022 Challenge

I had never heard of bodbot.  Looks pretty cool, so thanks for that.

It is a wonderful site/app, especially when you know that the team behind it is really small. I just love how many factors they take into account when creating your program.

Took "before" pictures today. Full body, front, side and back, but I won't post them before I actually make some progress.

Base Character: Medusa

Class / Profession: Assasin

Level: 4
STR 1 | DEX 3.5 | STA 6 | CON 4 | WIS 2.5 | CHA 8

Current challenge         fitocracy       tumblr

Fat/Weight lost

38%
38%

k, my initial measurement is in.  I am afraid I have set myself up for quite the challenge.  My weight-in has me at my lowest point since February, plus I have a planned giant cheat meal (and dessert) for tomorrow.  I will not be having another cheat meal until Thanksgiving.  I usually bloat up about 5 lbs after a cheat meal and it takes 7-10 days for the scale to come back down.  So, 177.2 is my goal with that factored in.  I haven't been that low in probably 10 years so the more I reflect this is a super stretch goal for me, but dammit I am going to attack it for sure!

• Like 2

Current: reorient

Old: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | a | b | battle log

Older: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4

myfitnesspal | epic quest

Don't know about anybody else but I've been eating and drinking like a mother trucker this weekend.

Wondering if people have and stick to a weigh in time of the day. Morning or night? Any particular reason why?

I went a LOT nuts last night at my oldest's 16th birthday dinner, so I am right there with you! 

I weigh in very first thing in the morning, after I pee. I have read that it's the best time, as far as being the lowest weight of the day, but cant remember where or why. LOL! I will see if I can find something to support my claims. 

• Like 1

Druid Assassin Halfling

:) Druid  :)

Level 16, Current Quest: Bekah Returns

Spoiler

Your life does not get better by chance. It gets better by change.

- Jim Rohn

background: also stole from Lwow's format; also included a few stats

hi all, i'm not really new to NF or to fitness in general. more like, getting back in the saddle. synopsis below. 

sex: male

height: 6'

starting weight: 212

goal weight: 200

bf%: 19

Played sports when i was an adolescent, continued into high school. however, interest while in HS waned a ton as i developed a love for playing music. began singing in a band then following high school i developed several very unhealthy habits that go along with being a musician and going to college, like an insatiable thirst for alcohol which was accompanied with a nicotine habit. my smoking got up to 2 packs a day before i quit 3 years ago. i have also drastically cut down on alcohol consumption. 1.5 years ago i started training in mma a bit as well as lifting pretty regularly.  but eating and soda habits stayed the same. because of this, i never truly got in shape, and cardio was just a pipe dream. till roughly Feb this year when i cut sodas out of my life. then i found NF around March. and ran my first 5k in April.

my plan:

i've had a lot of success on Keto and i plan to stick with it. i'll probably start off a little more lax with carbs and slowly cut more and more out. i will also continue to train mma 3-4 times a week. going to try and do some body weight exercises twice a week(days when not training) if my body doesn't require much recovery. if i need an additional rest day, i'll take it. i will start with taking in roughly 2500 calories, 100g carbs, and 200g protein. truthfully, i really don't count much outside of the carb intake. as long as it stays in the range i want it too, everything else tends to fall into place. by the end of this PVP my numbers will look more like 2100 cal, 30g or less carb, and 180g protein.

reasons:

i need to get my natural weight to 200 lbs so i can get a fight at 185, and cutting to 185 won't kill me(different type of cut, mostly water weight)

i want abs. i don't care how vain and self absorbed it sounds. my dad once said "no one in our family's ever had abs..." i'd like to be the first. he's right though, men in my family can be in tremendous shape and still not have visible abs. but, this is purely a cosmetic goal.

those are really the only reasons i have for this cut. 

• Like 1

LEVEL: 7 Furyan Ranger - Battle Log - in lieu of this challenge

don't look back, we aren't going that way:

Rebirth - Wrestlemania Dark Raider vs KZacher

From Tartarus with Love - Wrath of the Furyan - it's a secret! - FIGHT! - You can go your own way - The Rational Gaze - Rise from Death to Knife this Beast(part 3-the agony) - Demonized(part 2) -  By Demons Be Driven(part 1) -

Darwins_Demon: 0 / 20 lbs. lost

10%
10%

kzacher: 0 / 10 lbs. lost

10%
10%

ShadowLion: 0 / 20 lbs. lost

10%
10%

Broba Fett: 0 / 20

10%
10%

Gainsdalf: 0 / 20

10%
10%

Caolan: 0 / 20

10%
10%

Forkboy: 0 / 10

10%
10%

WritingvWeaver: 0 / 20

10%
10%

Musuku: 0 / 10

10%
10%

Bekah: 0 / 20

10%
10%

QuoththeDragon: 0 / 20

10%
10%

NightWatcher13: 0 / 20

10%
10%

Rookie: 0 / 20

10%
10%

lolavictrola: 0 / 20

10%
10%

Briguy: 0 / 20

10%
10%

Albeus51: 0 / 20

10%
10%

NOTE: I'm just playing around with the leader board format right now. Thought I'd do a progress bar for everyone, so it's easy to see everyone's progress at a glance.

Let me know if you'd like a different color for your progress bar. Preferably the RGB Hexcode if you know it. You can look some up here.

can i get code #00EE00

kzacher: 0 / 10 lbs. lost

10%
#00EE00; background-image: -webkit-gradient(linear, 0 0, 100% 100%, color-stop(.25, rgba(0, 0, 0, .2)), color-stop(.25, transparent), color-stop(.5, transparent), color-stop(.5, rgba(0, 0, 0, .2)), color-stop(.75, rgba(0, 0, 0, .2)), color-stop(.75, transparent), to(transparent) ); background-image: -webkit-linear-gradient( -45deg, rgba(0, 0, 0, .2) 25%, transparent 25%, transparent 50%, rgba(0, 0, 0, .2) 50%, rgba(0, 0, 0, .2) 75%, transparent 75%, transparent ); background-image: -moz-linear-gradient( -45deg, rgba(0, 0, 0, .2) 25%, transparent 25%, transparent 50%, rgba(0, 0, 0, .2) 50%, rgba(0, 0, 0, .2) 75%, transparent 75%, transparent ); background-image: -ms-linear-gradient( -45deg, rgba(0, 0, 0, .2) 25%, transparent 25%, transparent 50%, rgba(0, 0, 0, .2) 50%, rgba(0, 0, 0, .2) 75%, transparent 75%, transparent ); background-image: -o-linear-gradient( -45deg, rgba(0, 0, 0, .2) 25%, transparent 25%, transparent 50%, rgba(0, 0, 0, .2) 50%, rgba(0, 0, 0, .2) 75%, transparent 75%, transparent ); -webkit-background-size: 23px 23px; -moz-background-size: 23px 23px; background-size: 23px 23px; border-radius: 4px;">10%

LEVEL: 7 Furyan Ranger - Battle Log - in lieu of this challenge

don't look back, we aren't going that way:

Rebirth - Wrestlemania Dark Raider vs KZacher

From Tartarus with Love - Wrath of the Furyan - it's a secret! - FIGHT! - You can go your own way - The Rational Gaze - Rise from Death to Knife this Beast(part 3-the agony) - Demonized(part 2) -  By Demons Be Driven(part 1) -

Love the reboot but will not join because I don't want to weight myself so often :)

Cheers for all of you!

• Like 1

Katastrophenkatzchen - Progress, not Perfection!

Race: Troll | Class : one ambitious  Druid-kitty

Level: 2 | STR 1 | DEX 2 | STA 1 | CON 2 | WIS 2 | CHA 2

Challenges: 0,5, 1, 2 , Babysteps

Spoiler

(137/180 days) 26/9/14

76.1%
76.1%

No alcohol (12/42) 26/9/14

28%
28%

Start: 194 lbs, Final Goal: 154 lbs, Next Goal: 190 lbs / Current: 194.9 lbs (15. Sept. 2014)

-1%
-1%