PVP: 20 pounds, 10 weeks [Sept. 15 - Nov. 24]

I just did some (pre-turkey) measurements:

Weight: 248.2 # (lowest since we started this)

TM waist: 38.5 "

Tm neck: 15.5 "

Cp suprailliac: 36 mm

Cp chest: 14 mm

Cp thigh: 42 mm

CP, SI EST. BF%: 24.4

CP, JP3 BF%: 26.35

TM BF%: 24.3

=====================================================================================================

--Stronkey Kong--

I go by calipers and tape measurements.

Accuracy is tough, but precision is sufficient to work with.

i'm not sure how callipers are meant to work, but now i see people are saying that it's not necessarily accurate anyway.  Is there a way i can measure without using machines and callipers? Like weight measurements vs, wrist measurements or something?

I just did some (pre-turkey) measurements:

Weight: 248.2 # (lowest since we started this)

TM waist: 38.5 "

Tm neck: 15.5 "

Cp suprailliac: 36 mm

Cp chest: 14 mm

Cp thigh: 42 mm

CP, SI EST. BF%: 24.4

CP, JP3 BF%: 26.35

TM BF%: 24.3

Wow!  I'm a nerd, but not even I know what that all means (except the inch and pound bit right in the beginning) :P

Half Faerie (Sidhe) Scout | Black Belt Kitchen Ninja
"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright
You're welcome to skype me (audriwolf) too but let me know who you are

My challenge

ok i've decided to work on the navy scale. figured who cares how accurate it is, as long as it's consistently inaccurate :P

"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright

My challenge

I have calipers, but the one time I tried them (my sister measured me) I got a result of 29% which is at least 5% to high. We just couldn't really figure out how they worked, like how much pressure you should put on them to determine the measuring width.

Base Character: Medusa

Class / Profession: Assasin

Level: 4
STR 1 | DEX 3.5 | STA 6 | CON 4 | WIS 2.5 | CHA 8

Current challenge         fitocracy       tumblr

Fat/Weight lost

38%
38%

I have calipers, but the one time I tried them (my sister measured me) I got a result of 29% which is at least 5% to high. We just couldn't really figure out how they worked, like how much pressure you should put on them to determine the measuring width.

I use the ones by accumeasure. They "click" when you reach the right amount of pressure. Also, if your above 20% (for men) or 25% (for women) they're not as accurate. But if you space out your measurements by a couple weeks and you're sticking to your diet exercise plan, any differences you see are at least real changes taking place.

But for accuracy, I usually use the navy method, tape measure around the waist and neck, combined with height, age, weight, and sex.

• Like 1

=====================================================================================================

--Stronkey Kong--

i'm not sure how callipers are meant to work, but now i see people are saying that it's not necessarily accurate anyway.  Is there a way i can measure without using machines and callipers? Like weight measurements vs, wrist measurements or something?

Wow!  I'm a nerd, but not even I know what that all means (except the inch and pound bit right in the beginning) :tongue:

I was being facetiously jargony.

TM = tape measure

Cp = caliper pinch

JP3 = Jackson-Pollack 3 point formula for calculating body fat %

SI EST. = suprailliac estimate, uses just one caliper pinch point on the abdomen (the chart that comes with the accumeasure calipers)

For tape measure bf% i used the navy method.

--Stronkey Kong--

lol, thanks :)

I might have just been having what my brother and I affectionately refer to as a "senior moment" (even though we're both in our early 30's). I discovered the navy method thanks and that's the one I will be using :D

So when will the next PvP go up in the new year?

My challenge

About the navy method: wouldn't it make a difference based on how big your breasts are? I'm guessing it is fairly accurate for the average woman but I only have an A-cup, so less fat there.

I have this model: http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00IP8X4YS?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00 (German site)

Base Character: Medusa

Class / Profession: Assasin

Level: 4
STR 1 | DEX 3.5 | STA 6 | CON 4 | WIS 2.5 | CHA 8

Current challenge         fitocracy       tumblr

Fat/Weight lost

38%
38%

So when will the next PvP go up in the new year?

That's what I was thinking.

About the navy method: wouldn't it make a difference based on how big your breasts are? I'm guessing it is fairly accurate for the average woman but I only have an A-cup, so less fat there.

I have this model: http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00IP8X4YS?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00 (German site)

I use these: http://www.amazon.de/AccuMeasure-MyoTape-AM-3000-Fitness-Personal/dp/B00OVMTMMU/ref=sr_1_3?s=drugstore&ie=UTF8&qid=1417642769&sr=1-3&keywords=accumeasure

The calipers are almost identical, but the AccuMeasure calipers have a little sliding bracket with a pointer that stays in place after you let go of the calipers. That way you don't have to look while you're pinching and you can do it yourself.

I'm not sure how breasts are taken into account. The website I use has calculators for different methods, and different setttings for men and women.

• Like 1

--Stronkey Kong--

I'm ready for the new pvp! Who is keen?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk and the atoms/words don't always align

• Like 3

My challenge

The holidays destroyed me. And I'm gonna need some support and accountability.

Let's do this!

I can start a new thread on Monday, then maybe we can take a week to recruit, plan, and psych ourselves up, and start on the 11th.

BF% or weight?

• Like 2

--Stronkey Kong--

The holidays destroyed me. And I'm gonna need some support and accountability.

Let's do this!

I can start a new thread on Monday, then maybe we can take a week to recruit, plan, and psych ourselves up, and start on the 11th.

BF% or weight?

Sounds good. I'm in again. Could we do choose your own adventure, weight or bf?

Sounds good. I'm in again. Could we do choose your own adventure, weight or bf?

Hmm...

Maybe we can make it an experiment...

Team bf% vs. weight... And see who does better.

Maybe heading a combination of weight lost, grading one's own progress pics, number of slip-ups... Others?... Thoughts?

• Like 1

--Stronkey Kong--