Catspaw Isn't Dead

catspaw

Incredible.

I hereby request pink hair Catspaw pics for... Official Cult of Catspaw business.

Ugh, I had to go really digging.  I found a newspaper clipping from something I was doing at the time.  This is 10 years ago.  It's not a great pic, but here it is nonetheless.

catspaw_thug.png

• Like 5

You gotta experiment to find out what works for you.
PM me with any questions about, well, anything! :)
Current challenge: Catspaw Starts Strong

Sure that's not a Russian punk rock band?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Can't it be both? K-Stan is right near Russia. All evidence suggests catspaw was in a Russian punk band. This now now a fact. :)

Scout 30/Ranger 1 (3 skipped)

Spoiler

"I must not fear. / Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing......Only I will remain."
-Litany Against Fear

Facebook | Twitter | Runkeeper | Strava
Shukar Still Isn't Lion

Heheheheheh at little Catspaw.

Man, those mountains look GORGEOUS, but I imagine most of the time it's just eyes -> rock, eyes -> feet, eyes -> hands with that much technicality to deal with.

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

Alsoooo jokes:

02a6e6f13d3ddf4785e30b0054bd9e9c.png

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

Taking a brief hop forwards in time, in the middle of the hike, to talk about last night's dinner.

We went to a 2 Michelin Star sushi restaurant.  It seats up to 8 people a night. Period.  This dinner has absolutely nothing to do with the "sushi" you get at whatever local japanese restaurant you go to.  There were probably ~16 pieces of nigiri per person total, over a period of two hours, and each piece was the best thing I'd put in my mouth in a long time.

%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

The owner works with his wife in a small kitchen and they start by coming out with the rice and letting you taste a few grains.  It's very different from normal sushi rice -- each grain is al-dente and individual, while still somehow sticking together.  They season it with a lot of red vinegar such that it's almost a little sour.  "The 'su' in 'sushi'," says the owner, "is for 'sour'.  Nigiri must be sour."

He then brings out a piece of fish -- tuna, squid, baby crab, whatever the current piece is -- and masterfully cuts into it with his knife.

%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

He takes his time and explains each piece to us.  There is no soy sauce in anything (except the tuna marinade) and there is no sugar in anything.  Even the unagi (bbq eel) has none of the typical brown-red sweet sauce on it.

In particular, he talks a lot about temperature.

%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

Each fish is served at a different, carefully chosen temperature.  White fish is served at the exact temperature of human breast milk.  Tuna is served at the exact temperature of the internal temperature of a tuna fish.

Once the fish is sliced, he very quickly makes a single piece of nigiri, hands it to someone (received on their index finger) and has them tilt their head back and dump it, fish side down, into their mouth.  Some pieces he asks that you hold in your mouth for a few seconds (to let the fat melt) before chewing.

%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

I think all other sushi may be ruined for me for a long while.

• Like 1

Loved reading about the sushi. Rob's coming up for a sushi visit today and I'm sure it won't be as good ... but I'm still going to document it for you! :tongue:

Also, for some reason, this made me think of you:

10646630_844452318911767_632308113867204

Because you know the catspaw?  I could totally see her setting this kind of trap.

Half-Giant Monk

current challenge

"Promote yourself, but do not demote another." Yisroel Salanter

I really can't think of anything to say beyond this is brilliant and beautiful (and a echo of what Gainsdalf said about loving the "If I'm dead get this to Nerds" part).  Ganbare,  Catspaw!

Man, after this, the Spartan is going to be nothing to you in November. :)

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

Here are some photos that other groups have posted from the Tsurugi-dake climb:

2877054601_0e45ee556f.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

2877046223_d44598d91c_o.jpg

kani-no-yokobai.jpg

While it is truly amazing that you did this, all I could think was:

I8kq0uJ.gif

90+ Masters Weightlifter

Current Lift PRs
Snatch: 93kg/205lb // Clean and Jerk: 113kg/248lb // Back Squat: 170kg/375lb

Spoiler

2016 USAW Senior Nationals - 6th place

2015 USAW American Open - 8th place
2015 USAW Senior Nationals - 9th place
2014 USAW Senior Nationals - 9th place

2013 USAW Senior Nationals - 9th place

Instagram - MyFitnessPal

I want to pause here for a spoiler.

The day after this entry (in the next post), I'm going to mention that on the next peak over, we saw a corpse-retrieval helicopter pick someone up from the valley below the daikiretto.  Over the next two days, we saw a total of 3 body-retrieving helicopters, and there was apparently a 4th that we didn't see.

I don't mention it really much in my journal except for a "..." in part because I wasn't really sure how to process it at the time.

But I want to mention it explicitly here because even though I have a lot of "OMG WE WERE AWESOME"ness to it, this shit was extremely dangerous.  Four people died within a 48 hour span of our traversal, and there weren't that many people who we saw cross -- maybe two dozen during the 4-5 hours that we were crossing.

Instead, you'll hear a pretty dramatic tone change in my next few days' entries, and that's why.  Everything became very very real very quickly.  Anyway, just wanted to put this in a bit of context.

Will continue to let the story unravel naturally here-on out...

• Like 1

Reading your journal snippets I want to offer encouragement or statements of support as though it's currently happening. However, you made it already. It's not real time.

Life is dangerous, is it that much more dangerous to be living it in the Alps vs walking down the street? Does it make a difference if statistically you're more likely to make it home vs have a much more adventurous experience? Life is found in the contrast and it's something we all have a different trade-off schema for.

/me waits for more

Current Challenge: Wufkar Stops Making Excuses

------------------------------------------------------

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines