Alexandrite's Upward to the Heights Log

Our university's motto translated from Latin is Upward to the Heights, or Forward to the Top. I didn't connect with it at the time, but now that I have something to work towards, it seems fitting.

Yesterday, September 9, 2014, I did the Beginner's Bodyweight Workout, all three rounds, modified pushups on the knees, 30 second planks, 15 minutes or so. Felt great.

Today I did 6:30am yoga, Get Up and Flow, with a focus on hamstrings and hips. Feeling a bit sore. Plan on going for a walk tonight at the beach.

I didn't rock breakfast like I wanted to because of time constraints (cereal with almond/coconut milk), but lunch was black tacos and rice, and dinner is Japanese curry with quinoa, sweet potatoes, and chicken.

Side quest: I really want to get out my sewing stuff and sew. Maybe draft out a pattern for a friend's apron I want to make. I have a plan for Christmas items already too and would love to be able to make them in time. Complete renovation ideas and plans on our living space, including complete interior paint, creating flooring, rebuilding bunk beds, and many more. Will update as I go along.

Life quest: I want to get back into climbing, and possibly a martial art.

Let's do this.

PS My screen name will change to Alexandrite once I am able to change it. Just went with something random yesterday.

Brain-Building Assassin, a.k.a Radical Domestic Jill-of-All-Trades

Battle Log | Challenges: Current |18 |17 |16 |15 |14 |13 |12 |11 |109 | 87 | 65432 | 1  

Isaiah 40:30-31

Thanks Pavel, it's doing alright!

Thursday I did 2-mile walks, morning and evening. It felt good to just be out and about, but I was happy to do only that as my hamstrings were pretty sore after yoga the previous day.

Friday I had too many things to do and ended up skipping the bodyweight workout I was supposed to do, telling myself I would do it later. My in-laws arrived that day.

Saturday we spent most of the time catching up on housework, resting, and catching up. My son's preschool had an orientation that required 5 hours of my time and I again told myself I would do the workout the next day...

Sunday was church, and I finally fit in some walking while we shopped at Costco for two hours. STILL didn't make time to do the workout. =/

TODAY: Kicked butt at that workout I was supposed to do all weekend. Lunges were a little hard, but I used costco olive oil for the rows. 

Battle Log | Challenges: Current |18 |17 |16 |15 |14 |13 |12 |11 |109 | 87 | 65432 | 1  

Completed the Crack of Dawn Yoga workout this morning at 6:30AM. 1 hr session, focus on neck and shoulders. Had to skip out on shavasana so I could make it home in time for my hubby to leave.

Feeling extra tired today because I didn't sleep well. Probably ate dinner too late! (around 7pm) The pulled pork my in-laws made haunts me too, I suppose.

Going to take a walk with the kids and make spinach and prosciutto stuffed manicotti tonight. I'm not currently changing anything about my diet directly as I'm still nursing my daughter and was advised not to make diet changes until after she weaned. Don't want to start an accidental cleanse because it transfers the stuff to breastmilk. SO, I won't be trying out Paleo like I want to just yet. Plus, my husband is unconvinced that Paleo is good for us overall, and would rather stick to a "regular" diet. But we live in the land of almost year-round produce, so I'm sure he won't notice if our meals start looking more raw/fresh rather than prepackaged or pre-made.

Does anyone try and replicate their favorite products though? I love Bertolli spaghetti sauce and have hated every other sauce I have ever tried. Maybe it's the sweetness to it, but I'm not sure how I would go about making my own replica so I can preserve it. I do love canning.

So now I have completed my first challenge and leveled up to be an assassin! Yeah!

Participating in the level 1 mini quests between challenges, and continuing my quests from #1 as well.

Monday was a walking day, I took the kids to the park and walked all over the boardwalk, then went walking later on as well.

Tuesday was a yoga day, early morning, and I found out through observation that im not using my wrists and feet properly in stances and my muscles are showing the side effects (bulges at the wrists, rather than forearms, and heaviness in ball of foot rather than distribution along outer foot entirely, I have flat feet). This gives me something to work on! I also worked on the aprons, finishing up ruffles on the full size one for the friend.

Today was lots of running around doing errands and purging closets and space in between. I did the BBW before a late dinner at 7pm. Ive been making time to read and journal each night and while my children nap so that has helped me feel more balanced.

We are getring ready to take our trailer on a three day trip this weekend and it is a lot to prepare for suddenly. Phew.

• Like 1

Wow time flies! I fit in yoga both days and did another BBW , plus I'm trying to fit in the mini quests.

Traveling is hard enough, but I totally rocked the Fall cleaning and donated, dusted, cleaned, and organized a ton of stuff. We made it to where we were going and it is COLD. No planned exercise this weekend. Starting the Assassin Scavenger Hunt tonight, looking forward to seeing how creative people get with the hunt items!

• Like 1

Yes! Yoga completed again today. Plus plenty of walking to make up for all the driving we did. Assassin scavenger hunt has started and Im having fun with it!

Im actually loving that we had two weeks, gives me time to think about what it is I want next challenge.

- Sent from my magic Navi-powered device!

• Like 1

Oh man, sleep deprivation sucks!

Kids got sick, then hubby, and now the baby is teething hardcore, and Im not getting more than five or so hours of sleep over the course of waking up multiple times in the night.

Ive totally skipped doing BBW at all. Yoga was great today though! And my flexibility is returning! I can now do a forward standing fold and rest my knuckles on the ground. Two months ago I couldnt even touch my toes!

Looking forward to getting my thread started up again. Need to unsubscribe from all the old challenge threads so I can keep up with the new ones!

• Like 1

Oh man, sleep deprivation sucks!

Kids got sick, then hubby, and now the baby is teething hardcore, and Im not getting more than five or so hours of sleep over the course of waking up multiple times in the night.

Ive totally skipped doing BBW at all. Yoga was great today though! And my flexibility is returning! I can now do a forward standing fold and rest my knuckles on the ground. Two months ago I couldnt even touch my toes!

Looking forward to getting my thread started up again. Need to unsubscribe from all the old challenge threads so I can keep up with the new ones!

Sorry to hear about the lack of sleep, but YOU GO on the forward bends! Amazing what two months will do, eh?

giphy.gif

• Like 1

Tzippi Longstockings, level 9 Ranger/Monk 

Battle Log - My Fitness Pal - Quest to Find My Epic Quest - Challenges:   #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7,

The Westerosi Fitness Tour: Dorne Stormlands Vale the Reach Westerlands The Wall 

MamaBear Kiss Off Waterbending Rounding <<Current

Challenge is over so I'm back to updating here!

Did 25 minute Yoga for Climbers today. Plus did all the grocery shopping for my Once a Month Cooking mini plan yesterday. Today is a prep day, tomorrow is cooking day. Then meals for the next two weeks!! Yay! More to come soon.

I did once a month cooking when my son was little.I  found it to be a huge timesaver. I still do a bit of batch cooking

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

I wont sacrifice when it comes to rice (they precook and.freeze it, and I dont like defrosted rice, lol) but I love that their meal plans include allowance for days you want to cook fresh or eat something else. My husband and I enjoy eating out way too much so I'm hoping having meals planned ahead a bit will help us curb that habit. I am absolutely horrible at future meal planning so here we go to new habits!

So prep work is completing now for some kind of pork empanadas, and the pork tenderloin meal is cooking up now (which I will split into two and freeze one, eat one tonight). There are still the stir fry, cornish hens, and taco pot meals to prep, split up and freeze. We will eat one of the cornish hen meals tomorrow for Christmas day. 

If anyone is curious, this is the menu I'm making up. I set it for three people (my toddlers eat enough for one whole adult). It should make 10 meals total, and 8 will go into the freezer! I did sign up and pay for a membership to give it a try, but I LOVED that it gave me a shopping list already worked out, gives me a game plan for Prep Day, Cook Day, and even what to do for Thawing. It just totally took the 'work' out of meal planning for me. 

I will have to consider dietary changes with the next challenge though. My husband isn't totally on the paleo bandwagon in this regard, because his focus is on heart-healthy and red meat doesn't fall into that category for him. =( He wants more white meats, lighter fare, etc. We may end up doing the Diet Menus they have off that website and giving them a try. But I'm considering cutting back on a lot of grains for better fueling with protein and power veggies. If I do a grain, I will be choosing quinoa or rice or something like that!

Laundry all morning, back and forth to the laundromat here. Two kids, a double stroller, and laundry baskets make for a lot of work!

I think next challenge may also include some kind of personal quest about anger management/alternative ways of dealing with short tempers. I have toddlers. I definitely find myself less than patient after the millionth time of telling someone no and dealing with the screaming and whining afterwards. Blah!

We will be going on a trip this weekend. Then back to reality!

Oh my goodness, I just had something amazing happen yesterday. We took our kids to a park yesterday to run them about. I was goofing off and climbing up on top of the play equipment (in a way that made my husband rather nervous).

I decided to give a pullup a try to see what all the buzz was really about. I mean, years and years of school PE pressure makes me want to avoid it like the plague. But amazingly, I was able to do a tiny hop to get momentum going and then pull myself right up smoothly and slowly (palms facing towards me of course).

I was so shocked I dropped down and started hollering and celebrating. Of course, when I tried to do it again I wasnt able to make my muscles do it, especially if I tried a different hand hold. But it was a very interesting feeling telling my body to do something and getting an "okay, let's go" instead of a "too weak, can't." Fun stuff.

My husband on the other hand did a dead hang pullup with palms facing out at least three or four times! Glad he is starting to build up strength.

Merry christmas to us!

We ate out for lunch and dinner yesterday, to my stomach's shock. My husband wanted to treat me after all the meal prep I've been doing. IHOP and Chinese were the choices and I totally indulged. It's not like I'm trying to strictly control my diet, but my body was definitely not too happy processing all that junk in one day. I feel tired and lackluster this morning.

Time for some yoga to help revive me!

• Like 2

Short summary: I'm dying a sweet slow death under candy, cookies, and sweets that I can't deny. Oh well.

I'm totally right there with you.  Tums have become a near-daily occurrence.  The cookies are gone now, as is all of the candy, except for the kettle corn.  Once it's gone the real withdrawal begins.... 

• Like 1

Level 21 Wild Elf Ranger/Assassin

Spoiler

I'm not really sure these stats are relevant anymore...

STR: 31 DEX: 26 STA: 30  CON: 24  WIS: 30 CHA: 26

Current Challenge

Short summary: I'm dying a sweet slow death under candy, cookies, and sweets that I can't deny. Oh well.

I FEEL YOU.

I had a detox day yesterday that felt pretty good.... but I'd rather still be eating sweets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 2

🎪current challenge🎪

challenge archive: 19181716 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

instagram | goodreads

"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." - Voltaire

Our house still isn't purged of it all, but I'm keeping myself to one of an item each day until it is gone, no more. Haven't felt like cooking anything either, so I'm actually grateful for the freezer meals. The recipes need serious help at times, but hubby is glad to jump in and doctor them up!

Happy New Year's to all my fellow Rebels. I have a lot ahead of me - new blog, new endeavors, road trips, and lots of growing, laughing, and adventure inbetween. I don't care for partying, ball drops, or big to-dos. But I will raise a glass of Martinelli's, quietly and alone tonight since the entire family is exhausted and asleep, to one of the best years I have had in a long time.

And mamas, don't ever let someone shame you into leaving in tears for your toddlers being too noisy at a restaurant. We went someplace else that was glad to have us and made our night wonderful and our children fed and happy. The previous place is getting a new negative Yelp review to ring in their new year... and I get the best husband in the world, who played the part of my knight and defended me. <3

That is all for 2014!