• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Shukar

Shukar’s Mr. Sparkle Challenge

Last challenge was about finding my center and trying to consolidate what I had, this one is about finding something new and exploring some new possibilities.

I'm Shukar, I'm a nerd in my 20s and run because I enjoy it. Nerd Fitness is my family and I’m glad to be able to share my journey toward a higher level me with all of you fine folks.

This challenge is all about discovery. Finding new things I enjoy, finding new things I can do, and finding out where this journey will take me next.

Harro American investah, I mean internet nerd. I see you are interested in distributing my challenge in your home prefecture. This is a wise choice. Don’t believe me, observe this commercerul.

Goal #1: Can you see that I am serious?

Not only am I disrespectful to dirt, but I’ve been disrespecting myself for a while now. I can do so much better in my workout s than I’ve been doing and that has to stop. With the exception of the week of Nerd Camp, which will have it’s own events to prove my seriousness, I’m going to go for a ruck and a run each week. They don’t need to be all out, they just need to be done. I’ve got events coming up for both in December and November respectively and if I don’t at least get out and work on them some I’m going to be terribly underprepared, this is my minimum not my total plan, that includes more sprinting and what not, but I’m not holding missing that for reasons against myself right now.

How: Rucks can take place at night because they are less likely to make me crazy hot, so I’m going to plan on doing one mid-week after work each week, I’ll try and drag the wife along but that’s not a guarantee. The run will most likely happen Saturday or Sunday at a minimum so that’s the plan for that, in the morning. If you haven’t seen me list a ruck by Wednesday each week, poke me about it until I give a satisfactory response. The runs are all on me and setting an alarm.  

Goal #2: Out of my way, there is no room for loafers!

Goal the second is about not being lazy. I’ve been terrible about strength training lately and that needs to stop. So I’m setting a minimum per week to lift the weights and get stronger. Once per week if I go to the gym and lift the heavy weights, twice if I stay home and hit the kettlebell; there’s a price for convenience. Again, this is a minimum I am aiming to exceed, but since I’ve been doing a whopping none I’m starting back in slow.

How: Sleep enough, set an alarm for the morning, and get the hell out the door. I get a pass on Camp Week because lifting will happen at camp I’m told, but not any other weeks; even if work means I can’t hit the gym I can find the time to do KB work at home easily if I put my mind to it. Supplement with some mobility work to keep myself from getting tight and injured and I should be good to go. I’m gonna poke some nerds about texting me in the mornings to make me hit the weights because I may need it.

Goal #3: Lucky Best Wash!

The third goal this time around is to keep things clean. Me, the apartment, my car, things ok? When I’m not working out as often I don’t shower as often and that’s a problem, the working out more should help with that but I’m setting a minimum 3/week for showering. The apartment needs to be kept clean, little bit at a time should keep it that way so another 3/week of tidying up. Otherwise just keeping clean.

How: Workout more, shower more. Simple enough. As to the apartment that will be trickier to keep myself accountable for, but luckily Mrs. Shu can help on that front, once it gets clean it’s easy to keep that way.

Well there’s your answer fish-bulb. What’s that? We accept your challenge Mr. Sparkle? You can do no less!

Bonus Goal: If it turns clear it’s safe to eat!

While I may not be trying to put on weight like Homer I could stand to keep a better handle on what I eat, and on things like healthy fats and vegetables. I’m setting out a mission here to eat at least one thing that’s obviously a vegetable per day; I wish that wasn’t something I thought would be an accomplishment but that’s why I’m here right? In addition I’m continuing the push to eat healthier fats, avocado, coconut oil, ghee and animal fats are tasty and good for me so more of those and less corn, soy, and canola from various processed sources. The more food I make myself the better it’s gonna turn out.

• Like 2

Day -4, Wednesday.

Lunch was broccoli beef, pepper chicken, teriyaki chicken, fried rice, and mixed veggies. Dinner was mushroom soup, kale, carrots, and spicy tuna cakes. Dinner was very good considering both major portions were new recipes. 

Listening today included Security Now, This Week in Enterprise Tech, Tim Ferris Show, and a new podcast I'm trying out. Todays lesson was that just because something doesn't make sense doesn't mean there is no sense to it.

Activity today included, 1.5 miles of running, 3 miles of walking, and the Streak; getting the challenge off to a good start. Got 7h sleep last night, less than earlier in the week but to be expected with a run squeezed in, time has to come from somewhere. Made dinner together with Mrs. Shu and have fun experimenting with that, watched Jurassic Park since we've recently finished the books and wanted to compare. 

Tomorrow, I'm going to the gym.

Bis Morgen!

The awesome/sad thing about that Simpsons clip is that, well, Japanese commercials aren't too much unlike that at all. XD Reminds me of the "Friends" episode where Joey was in a lipstick for men commercial in Japan: no exaggeration I swear.

Best of luck to you in this challenge, and I hope you have fun at Camp! It looks like a blast!

Good luck!! You know I always support a veggie goal. I think everyone should have a veggie goal!! Veggies are my jam. Err, well not that kind of jam. Those are my fruits, which are also awesome.

Oahhpthbbbss! XcD

and, and then he smears it on the wall, and you can see to the other side, and he wears a moomoo, and uses a drinky bird! :P

I love the Simpsons...

Good luck this round. I'll be right with you with veggies and getting my trash heap of a home and car cleaned.

Oh, and I forgot. What is the streak?

blkhole, not very familiar with Japanese commercials actually, only their gameshows. 

Kailer, who knew the Kailersaurus was also a veggiesaurus.

Phy, clean the heap, watch the yellow people. And the Streak is my ongoing daily bodyweight routine. Recently it's been just pushups and squats (which I have kept up now daily for nearly 2 years I think we determined not long back), and as often as I can handstand and pull-up work.

Kat, it doesn't help that I basically have no sense of smell either, lousy allergies.

Chammy, *confetti* I'm good with magic words.

Day -3, Thursday.

Lunch was chicken and a frosty. Dinner was leftover buff chick casserole (buffalo chicken from earlier in the week), and then some ice cream after.

Listening today was more Security Now back issues, working my way through the catalog slowly but surely. Todays lesson was that having the power to do evil does not come with the authorization to use it.

Activity today included, 2.8 miles of ruck with 4 bricks, 1.9 miles of walking, and the Streak. Got 7h15 of sleep last night. Did not get to the gym today, slept a little longer instead and went for a ruck. Definitely going tomorrow because it's the end of the week and I have to go sometime before camp. Watched Addam's Family with Mrs. Shu and just kinda chilled out.

Bis Morgen!

• Like 1

Anathema, Inflammable means Flammable? What a country.

Day -2, Friday.

Post-workout was pork rinds and plantain chips. Lunch was garlic dip, and a philly steak pita (steak and cheese with peppers and shrooms in a pita). Dinner was shrimp, clams, some cod, a salad, and some fried mushrooms and zucchini. 

Listening today was Home Theater Geeks, and more Security Now. Todays lesson was that the things people say about gym memberships are very true, I'm glad I don't have to deal with that stuff.

Activity today included:

• 4.4 miles of walking
  • Bench Press
    • 45x5 - easy
    • 95x5x5 - good.
  • Squat
    • 45x5 - easy, odd back sensation
    • 95x5 - fine, back better after using more internal tension
    • 135x5x5 - tough but fair, new tightness in legs
    • 95x10 - so good, more time under bar, felt right
  • Deadlift
    • 135x5 - easy
    • 185x2x5 - oh yeah (2 sets of 5, forgot to reload the bar during the rest)
    • 235x5 - tough but awesome
  • The Streak - now with added post-lifting muscles

Got 7h sleep last night, woken up early by Mrs. Shu who was having trouble sleeping, which made the gym trip easier at least. Picked up the last things I need for camp and did my test pack tonight, everything fits if only barely. Got a few last things I'd like to swap out before the trip to simplify things but looks like it's all come together nicely.

Bis Morgen!

Teri, that's good cause from here the sleep just looks like a brief interval of darkness. :)

Lobro, hey

Day -1, Saturday.

Lunch was chili nachos, and some cheese. Dinner was a couple polish sausages, a burger, some chips, and some ice cream; I was then provided and ate a slice of pound cake.

No listening today but I did read some more of the Wikipedia info I've got open about random number generation. Today's lesson was that while finding information from those who have gone before is good, it's no substitute for experience.

Activity today included, 1.6 miles of walking, and the Streak. Got 8h sleep last night, not bad. Spent some time today visiting with family, going to a baseball game, and making some last minute adjustments to travel for camp next weekend. Also practicing my Rubik's cube skills.

Bis Morgen!

• Like 2

soon....I see you soon? And - are you doing the lifting comp again?

which of the 5ks are you leading?

Oh oh - ubbed - how did I manage without your thread?????

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

soving a Rubik's cube might as well be cold fusion as far as I'm concerned. My brother had a 5 row one that he could solve. I looked at it and my head almost exploded. xcp

You get +1 nerd point just for playing with one.

• Like 1

Chammy, so soon, 4 sleeps.

CA, I am, with higher numbers this time. And I believe I'll be on the faster 5K but I may loop back and join the walkers too we will see how things go.

Phy, I've played with a 4 before but not a 5, and can do the 3 reliably.

Day 0, Sunday.

Lunch was a ton of sushi, a reasonably priced all you can eat place may prove a dangerous thing. Dinner was hot and sour soup, fried rice, and some brownies.

Listening was the start of This Week in Law. Today's lesson was sometimes there will always be blame to go around no matter what you do.

Activity today included, 2.3 miles and the Streak. Got something like 7h sleep last night, fitbit unclear. Not a bad day at all despite not getting a run today.

Bis Morgen!

• Like 1

Day 1, Monday.

Lunch was leftover fried rice. Dinner was crockpot mooshu beef, not bad at all though I'd do a few things differently next time. The dinner was loaded with cabbage.

Listening today was the rest of TWiL, This Week in Tech, more Security Now, and the start of The Broken Bubble (I'm not sold on it yet but I'm under an hour in so I'll give it time). Todays lesson was that sometimes knowing enough means you don't enjoy things the way they are expected.

Activity today included, 3.8 miles of walking, and the Streak. Got 7h15 of sleep last night. Did not get any of that third goal worked on today, tomorrow though. Instead watched some Sarah Jane Adventures and some House of Cards with Mrs. Shu. Good day.

Bis Morgen!

• Like 1

Stargazer, you picked the right thread, like Waldo I'm not in all of them. 

Teri, I find it's a good way to tie things together and give people some insight into my day to day without having to share tons of specifics.

blk, Thanks! You've been doing pretty well yourself.

Day 2, Tuesday.

Lunch was leftover Mooshu beef. Dinner was pizza and wings. Veggies for the day were cabbage with the lunch and mushrooms on the pizza (that one is shaky at best though).

Listening today was Cordkillers, Savage Lovecast, Paleo Solution, and the Tim Ferriss Show. Todays lesson was that Murphy's law of tires states that tires always go flat when it is raining, and that if it is not raining it will begin to do so.

Activity today included, 4.2 miles of walking, and the Streak. Got 8h sleep last night. Got a nice shave in today for both my goal and the mini-challenge, and watched some more House of Cards with Mrs. Shu while chatting with nerds about units of measure and camp stuff. Good day.

Bis Morgen!

I have signed up for beat the blerch 10k... so, I need to do the 5k 2x...i would be honored if you would give me my medal when I get the 10k. I may take 2 days. But, i really wanted to do this 10k.... I'm glad you will be at camp.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk