• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Shukar

Shukar’s Mr. Sparkle Challenge

Prime, it's a good show.

CA, I've never handed out medals before, but I'd be happy to help :)

Day 3, Wednesday.

Lunch was chicken, and shrimp. Dinner was leftover pizza (still had the same veggies attached at least), and some chips with dip. 

Listening today was Security Now, part of Broken Bubble, and some music. Todays lesson was that just because you've planned ahead doesn't mean the thing you're planning for won't suddenly change and alter the plans.

Activity today included, 3.3 miles of walking, and the Streak. Got 6h45 of sleep last night, short sadly, though what's likely to be the standard this weekend. Watched some House of Cards with Mrs. Shu, packed all my stuff for nerd camp (consolidated my packing even more than I expected, hooray!), and loaded my iPhone and iPad up with music and books for the trip. I'm totally ready for some nerd meet ups. :)

Bis Morgen!

(Programming note, I'm not sure what my connectivity is going to be for the next couple days, I'll try and be here for a token update per day at least but I may be radio silent until Sunday)

Oh friends and thread, I have not forgotten you, I will be returning to regularly scheduled updates, and posting a massive camp nerd fitness update, tomorrow hopefully.

• Like 2

I'm hopeful I'll have enough time before my flight to get it edited enough to post and get you guys updated. That's in 2.5 hours so we shall see. If not, I've got a plane ride.

• Like 2

Thursday:
Woke up bright and early to get to the airport and had a nice uneventful flight to Atlanta. Got in and found the checkin for nerds in time to say hi to a bunch of the nerds on the earlier shuttle before it left and then waited until it was time for the second shuttle to head up to camp. During the interim got to answer questions for a number of passersby about what Nerd Fitness is and why we were having a camp, that was fun. Spent the entire ride up talking with some new friends, Jennifer, Matt, Allen, and Dakao, plus Smftexas whom I already knew.

Once the shuttle pulled into camp we were enthusiastically greeted by Steve and then signed in for our cabin assignment and our welcome packet from Staci. This included a book, and a DVD from friends of Nerd Fitness, a Camp Nerd Fitness patch and water bottle, and a Nerd Fitness drawstring bag. We wandered off to our cabin and then back to dinner, where I ran into more nerds I knew, ChristArtist, Wildross, Alienjenn, and Chammy and Mr. Chammy, Devyn, and some of the earlier new friends.

After dinner we went off to the opening ceremonies and got introduced to all the other Wizards at camp. Afterward we went back to the lodge for some games and socializing, and I went on a journey to figure out how far apart camp stuff is for the 5K in the morning. Played a game called castle panic with SMFTEXAS and Jennifer, it was interesting. Tower defense as a board game. After that migrated to the cabin at around 11 and went to bed.

Total mileage for the day: 4.6
Food: some chicken and okra for lunch, rice veggies and beef stew for dinner.
Listening: music, and friends.
Sleep: 6h45

Friday:
Got up early to get ready for the run, headed down to get setup in the starting location to receive nerds. Chammy and I did some introductions and took our groups out for a nice morning run/walk. Spotted Jennifer, Alienjenn, ChristArtist, SMFTEXAS, Steff, and Rivers there at the start. After that we still had time for breakfast.

After breakfast my first stop was body weight and gymnastic strength with Jim from BeastSkills. This was two hours of instruction on pushing, pulling, combination, lower body and midsection gymnastics strength work with progressions. I learned a number of great things and saw some amazing athletes demonstrating their skills, and got to improve my own too, spotted Mr. Chammy, smf, and Steff in this one. After that was another hour with Jim, this one on grip strength. We worked on wrist strength, gripping, pinching, and a number of other things and Jim demonstrated bending some nails. Nerd count: mr. Chammy, smf, devyn, alienjenn, Sandro, Wildross, Matt, and Allen. After that was lunch and a trip back to the cabin to relax a bit.

After lunch my first session was Introduction to Olympic Lifting with Jim. This was the second time I'd done any oly lifting, the first being snatch lessons with nightlight at 4T. This was a tough class for me because it involved a lot of squating at speed and shoulder mobility that is tough for me. I enjoyed it immensely even if I'm unlikely to use the skills any time soon. This class I was joined by Wildross, and Rivers. After that my next class was Game of Thrones with Dakao. This was about the history and practice of long sword fighting. I had a lot of fun waving a PVC pipe around and learning about different strikes and footwork. We only got a basic introduction but it seemed very enjoyable in what I saw. Smf, and Jennifer were there most of this class.

Next was dinner with Steff and a few others. After which I headed back to the cabin to get ready for costume night. Caught up with Staci and Nightwatch over a little more food. Spent the rest of the evening, literally 8-1, just hanging with nerds in costume having a great time, and playing a great game of Cards against Humanity along the way. Some excellent costumes on all the nerds.

Total mileage for the day: 10.8, ~2.5 during a run in the morning. (And don't worry, the streak survives)
Food: turkey sausage, asparagus, and some of an omelette for breakfast; bunless burgers and turkey meatloaf, with sweet potato fries and collards for lunch; and some amazing roast chicken and sweet potatoes for dinner.
Listening: Jim and Dakao instructing, and lots of friends new and old.
Sleep: 5 hours, miraculously.

Saturday:
Got up nice and early, though notably less early, for the run. About half the turnout, only Chammy and ChristArtist of nerds I could easily name. After that, breakfast. After breakfast it was Big 4 Lifts with Staci and Nightwatch, Wildross was there for a while as well. This was a lot of information and some good form check.

After that was Basic Inversions with Jim. Lots of people here, but none I recall specifically who are on here, April and Astrid, and Sandro were there at least. Lots of working on head stands and handstand progressions, which was all kinds of educational. After that was lunch.

After lunch I hit rock and roll yoga with Chammy, and Smftexas. Bailed about 75% of the way through for the power lifting competition. Yoga wasn't bad from a headspace aspect but Chammy observed I was mostly using it to stretch so she handed me a lacrosse ball, was very nice.

After yoga was power lifting. We setup and had a pretty good turnout, Steff, Wildross, Nitghwatch, Staci, Chammy, among others whose names I only partially remember. We setup a single squat station and ran everyone through in about an hour. For bench press we were able to run a second platform so everything went faster. Smf was taking down lift numbers, Chammy was keeping a whiteboard and she and I, with the help of Brice ran everyone through bench pretty smoothly. Dead lifts Chammy and I took care of because Brice was helping out on the other platform. So many people set PRs, Chammy PRd 5 times on her own, and I set a new PR on all three lifts.

After lifting we all went and devoured a few plates of dinner. After dinner I headed back to the cabin to get ready for Rubik's cube night. Headed down to closing ceremonies and got some great community building time and a good wrap up to the weekend. After that was the Rubik's cube party. I got my color, I picked green, fairly quickly and spent the rest of the night chatting with nerds, getting contact info for the purposes of Facebook friending and the like, and got a nice massage from Chammy and her fabulous ball handling skills. After offering my services to help get the camp back in order tomorrow after things wind down I headed off to sleep, because I need it.

Total mileage: 6.9 miles, ~1.5 running in the morning, and yes the Streak survived camp.
Food: scrambled eggs, some sort of green veggie, and sweet potato home fries for breakfast; veggie soup, and chard wrapped turkey breast for lunch; and a heaping plate of beef and turkey taco meat with guac, rice, and broccoli for dinner.
Listening: Staci and Jim, and Kate teaching, the shouts of many nerds lifting.
Sleep: like 5 hours.

Lifts:
Squat:
135 - easy as heck
155 - smooth like butter
185 PR (10 pounds) - not super easy but went up smooth

Bench:
98 - felt light
113 - good, could tolerate more
138 PR (3 pounds) - there it is

Deadlift:
235 - easier than I remember
265 - a good lift but it felt tough
295 PR (10 pounds) - didn't feel much tougher, probably could hit 315

Sunday:
Today's agenda was pretty simple comparatively. Woke up and packed all my stuff from camp then went down to breakfast and had some with all the nerds still left and helped pack up some of the remaining stuff. Chatted with the Wildrosses and Clarrice, and smf, plus mr and mrs Chammy and Staci. Saw everyone safely onto a shuttle and then piled into Staci's van with the Chammy's and smf to head for the airport after a brief adventure at Walmart.

Made it to the airport with much nerd chatting along the way despite how tired we were. Returned Staci's rental and went to pick up my own all by myself. Took that up state again, though less so for sure, to visit some family with only minor adventure along the way. And then went with them to visit my grandfather. Hadn't seen him since my wedding so it was good to have some time with him. After that we went to dinner.

Came back and went through some accumulated family stuff looking for items that might have sentimental value, my mom having been here more recently had already found all such items in her broader sweep. After that catching up with some nerds and sleep.

Total mileage: 3.1 miles, and the Streak lives on.
Listening: nerd chats, family chats, and babymetal courtesy of Chammy.
Food: eggs, hot sauce, and a beef and sweet potato hash for breakfast; a footlong with bacon and a ton of cured meat and some veggies for lunch; and a sirloin steak, a salad, and mashed potatoes for dinner.
Sleep: anticipating long day today without nerd activity to prop it up I turned in early to get 6h45 of sleep last night. Not bad considering.

I'm sorry if I forgot to mention anyone who was at a class I covered here or such, but there were so many people I couldn't hope to have a full list, and this would have only been drawn out as a result. I can't wait to get me some more nerd time. :)

Farewell from the Atlanta airport, I'll see you all tonight.

Ps, I'll work on cleaning up the formatting when I get access to a desktop instead of tapatalk.

Farewell, from the world of tomorrow!

(From my iPad)

Oh my word, after reading that I've gone from puke green to full on emerald with envy.  I wish I wasn't on a different continent (and only able to get off in December every year) cos that was something I was upset about having to miss (super sad panda).  I'm thrilled to hear you had a good time and I'm even more thrilled to hear that Mr Chammy was there :D

The Streak lives on!!

Blaidd, it was a good time, but it's important to remember that adventures can happen anywhere if we only remember to look for them.

Kailer, it was great, now go enjoy time with the husbandosaurus. :)

blkhole, it was a great time all around.

Teri, soon as I finish this post I'm right to bed, promise.

Day, whatever today is I'll figure that out tomorrow.

Lunch was half a plate of southern style poutine (fries with gravy and bacon and cheese), and a mushroom and blue cheese bacon burger that was really good. Dinner was a good selection of sushi when I got into Phoenix.

Listening was some music, Radiolab, This Week in Law, Latest in Paleo, Home Theater Geeks, and most of This Week in Tech. Todays lesson was it's good to stay grounded in the moment, because life moves pretty fast sometimes and you want to make sure you don't miss any.

Activity today included, 4.1 miles of walking, and the Streak, with new and improved handstand work . Got 9h of sleep last night, in a bed I actually fit in. Got to spend time with family, and friends, and my wife today on two sides of the country. The world we live in is a magical place, we just don't see the magic for it's nature often, we could do to improve that.

Bis Morgen! (probably with more notes as I come down off my nerd-high)

• Like 1

Day 9, Tuesday, yeah that's the one.

Lunch was some garlic dip and pita, and a philly steak pita with scriracha. Dinner was chicken and mozzarella sticks, not a very good choice at all.

Listening today included the rest of This Week in Tech, Cordkillers, Paleo Solution, and Savage Lovecast, plus some music. Todays lesson was that sometimes a well timed phone call can solve many problems.

Activity today included, a 2.6 mile ruck (4 bricks for now), 3.6 miles of walking, and the Streak (making progress). Got 7h45 of sleep last night. Watched the first episode of Gotham tonight with Mrs. Shu, otherwise just kind of relaxing a bit.

Bis Morgen!

• Like 1

Day 10, Wednesday.

Lunch was chicken, and some fries. Dinner was pad thai with more chicken, eggs, snow peas, and mushrooms with spaghetti squash for noodles.

Listening today was Cordkillers, Tim Ferriss Show, The Eyes Have It, and the start of Legend of Drzzt. Todays lesson was that sometimes things go smoothly, other times people just keep demanding more, but there's only so much more to have.

Activity today includes, 3 miles of walking, and the Streak (yay improvements!). Got 7h45 of sleep last night. Caught up on Agents of Shield and Doctor Who and did some work on figuring out ongoing lunch plans for at work, still working on that. Also got some cleanup done around the apartment working toward my life goal of "don't live somewhere that's a mess".

Bis Morgen!

Day 10, Wednesday.

Lunch was chicken, and some fries. Dinner was pad thai with more chicken, eggs, snow peas, and mushrooms with spaghetti squash for noodles.

Listening today was Cordkillers, Tim Ferriss Show, The Eyes Have It, and the start of Legend of Drzzt. Todays lesson was that sometimes things go smoothly, other times people just keep demanding more, but there's only so much more to have.

Activity today includes, 3 miles of walking, and the Streak (yay improvements!). Got 7h45 of sleep last night. Caught up on Agents of Shield and Doctor Who and did some work on figuring out ongoing lunch plans for at work, still working on that. Also got some cleanup done around the apartment working toward my life goal of "don't live somewhere that's a mess".

Bis Morgen!

Thee Legend of Drizzt!? Mr Drow Elf himself?

I love that book series. I also recently got the graphic novel too. I didn't know they had it on tape which isn't a surprise so much as I just didn't think about it! lol

Better Streaks is always a good thing. Congrats.

I need to take your cue about cleaning the house! I have to go to my house today anyway so I should get some cleaning done. Thanks for the inspiration, Shu! Have a great day.

Yeah they have the collection as an audiobook with a different reader for each section, so far it's had Tom Felton, Felicia day, and Sean Astin, plus a couple others, and I know IceT, Wil Wheaton, and David Duchovny are still to come.

Prime, no problem, it was fun you should come.

Day 11, Thursday.

Lunch was a salad, some fried chicken, mashed potatoes, and roasted veggies. Dinner was a double meat chipotle burrito with guac, and some chips. 

Listening today was Security Now, Cordkillers, more Tim Ferriss Show, and more of Legend of Drizzt. Todays lesson was that being able to tactfully explain how terrible a thing is can be a very important skill.

Activity today included, 1.5 miles of running, 3.4 miles of walking, and the Streak (working on my pushup form using knee pushups. Got 7h15 of sleep last night. Didn't get much done today outside work, but did get some time to chat with nerds which is always good.

Bis Morgen!