• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Shukar

Shukar’s Mr. Sparkle Challenge

Day 43, Monday.

Lunch was chicken, fries, and different chicken. Dinner was a ton of sushi, and some miso.

Listening today was some music. Todays lesson was that the return from a trip is always worse than the departure.

Activity today included, 2.6 miles of walking, and the Streak. Got 7h15 of sleep last night, still not as much as I'd like to be getting but some progress. Today was mostly a travel day which meant a good amount of reading got done in Ready to Run (the new mobility book for Running from Kelly Starrett); good book so far can't wait to finish it and apply it's teachings.

So how'd the goals go for the challenge?

Was I Serious? Not as much as I should have been no. I got in probably about 4 runs and 2 rucks (I'm going off memory here due to laziness but that's fairly close if not correct). That's a good deal short of my goal. The times I did go out I learned things, so not a loss by any means, just not as much of a gain as I had put out for and so this goal gets a C, since consistent rucking was a big part of it.

Did I leave room for loafers? No. This goal on the other hand was a big success. I got in the workouts every week and that was good, now I know what I can accomplish as a baseline and can try some other things to push that boundary toward where I'd like it long term. This one gets an A.

Was my wash the best? Maybe? As a result of my workouts I did shower more, and I did do at least some work each week toward getting the apartment cleaned up, but I didn't do as much of that as I had in the goal, nor did I do other things I should have like get a haircut. So progress toward where I'd like to be in a meaningful way but not as much as planned, B.

Was it clear? Mostly. I ate vegetables most days, though not all. This should ideally be so built in to my eating that I don't need a goal like this but until I get there, here it is. B.

So that's the challenge, overall pretty good but lacking in a few key areas I will need to fix if I want to take me seriously.

Bis Morgen!

Kellllyyyyyyy

I got my copy just a bit ago too! I'll be digging into it (and my muscles) tonight will I sit around in my sleep study room at the Sheraton hotel.

Congrats! Correct me if I'm wrong, but you sound good when you list your results. I don't sense any misplaced blame or shame in your words which is awesome. If you have a technique for doing that, care to share? I know some of us battle that piece of this work a lot.

You gonna be around during the 2 week break?

Teri, definitely gonna be around for the 2 week break. As to the lack of self-blaming, I suppose it's a combination of a couple factors. First, I try and take a pretty relaxed view of life when I can maintain it, life is gonna happen no matter what I do, my job is to try and make it work as close to a way I like as possible without stressing about the parts I have no way to change, because what would it get me anyway? So an extension of that is, while I could have changed the outcome while the challenge was going, what's blaming me or anyone going to do about it now? Better to acknowledge what I slipped up on, what I did right and where I made progress and what got left on the table and figure out how to apply all that to doing better next time. And part of it is me being better at faking that than doing it, I put on a good face but I'm never really quite where it looks like I am on that front; I'm closer than I used to be though. Hooray method acting right? Fake it til you make it.

Day 44, Tuesday.

Lunch today was chicken, and fries, and a milkshake. Dinner ended up being a chicken cesar salad, an an italian sausage, plus part of a shake; went off plan because some things didn't go to plan beforehand.

Listening today included, Latest in Paleo, This Week in Law, Home Theater Geeks, and part of This Week in Tech. Todays lesson was that you start at the beginning because that's a fine place to start, and the act of starting is a bold step in a good direction.

Activity today included:

• 5.4 miles of walking
  • The Streak
  • Squats
    • 45x5 Easy
    • 95x3 Easy
    • 145x5x5 Nice
  • Press
    • 45x5 Easy
    • 75x5x5 Tough, but I made it through
  • Deadlift
    • 135x5 Easy
    • 185x3 Easy
    • 245x5 Smooth
    • 135x5 Easy

Got 7h45 of sleep last night. Ended up at the gym in the evening, hence the changed dinner plans, because thanks to a coupon I got Mrs. Shu to go with me. It remains to be seen how much she liked or disliked it, but it was different at least. Also tried out the new gym closer to our place which was nice for proximity and the fact it's apparently never crowded. 

Bis Morgen!

Nice thought process. And yeah, method acting is the bomb! lol

Nice sleep! 

Also, it looks like we're pretty close on the press weight (70# 3x5). Not sure I can get the last sets like you have, but I'm getting there. I think my deadlift (110# 3x5) is too easy, but still a bit gun shy when it comes to my back so I'm not pushing it. Same with my squats (85# 3x5).

Any ideas about the inter-challenge challenge? I was thinking of something pvp with a bit of goal review and experimentation involved.

I see you've already got ahead of me on the inter-challenge Teri, but it's a good idea anyway and I think we should run with it :P

Day 45, Wednesday.

Lunch was wings and fries, plus a rare soda. Dinner was bibimbap (with the usual peppers, mushrooms, and kale over rice with eggs and avocado).

Listening today was the rest of TWiT, Paleo Solution, Savage Lovecast, Cordkillers, Security Now, and the Tim Ferriss Show. Todays lesson was that the world is a dirty place and sometimes it takes a breath of fresh air to clean things up.

Activity today included, 3.7 miles of walking, the Streak, new improvements in my shoulder passthroughs, and some ruck PT. Got 7h15 of sleep last night. Watched Doctor Who and Agents of Shield with Mrs. Shu after work, and had some fun conversations with nerds at various points in the day; also did some prep for my online game night tomorrow. Good day.

Bis Morgen!

• Like 1

Day 46, Thursday.

Lunch was chicken, okra, and a couple biscuits. Dinner was roasted brussels, broccoli, and steak.

Listening today was all music. Todays lesson was that knowing a thing, and accepting a thing are very different, and moving from one to the other can be a whole process of it's own.

Activity today included, 5.6 miles of ruck (6 bricks, and a nice little run at the end), 3 miles of walking, the Streak, some L-sit work, and the reintroduction of the Couch Stretch (a lovely torture device from the folks at MWod), plus some progress on my pass throughs (I can now both complete a pass "cold" and after a warmup with my full hand on the PVC which is a big improvement since I started). Got 7h30 of sleep last night. Watched South Park tonight and helped Mrs. Shu with some baking for her work, and did my civic duty and voted.

Bis Morgen!

• Like 1

Activity today included, 3.7 miles of walking, the Streak, new improvements in my shoulder passthroughs, and some ruck PT. Got 7h15 of sleep last night. Watched Doctor Who and Agents of Shield with Mrs. Shu after work, and had some fun conversations with nerds at various points in the day; also did some prep for my online game night tomorrow. Good day.

Bis Morgen!

Shoulder improvements ftw!

Day 46, Thursday.

Activity today included, 5.6 miles of ruck (6 bricks, and a nice little run at the end), 3 miles of walking, the Streak, some L-sit work, and the reintroduction of the Couch Stretch (a lovely torture device from the folks at MWod), plus some progress on my pass throughs (I can now both complete a pass "cold" and after a warmup with my full hand on the PVC which is a big improvement since I started).

Bis Morgen!

Nice ruck!

Aw yes, I remember the many torture devices from MWod! I just got Kelly's Book on running.

Do you have a pic of the pass through you're doing?

Cheers!

Teri, passthrough+a.jpgWould be a good approximation (my grip is a little wider than that still, but working on it).

Day 47, Friday.

Lunch was avocado, crab, and rice, plus 2 egg rolls and a half tempura shrimp roll. Dinner was a steak leftover from last night, plus some nachos. 

Listening today was Home Theater Geeks, Radiolab, and some music. Todays lesson was that just because a thing is simple and obvious doesn't mean it will have any attention paid to it.

Activity today included, 2.8 miles of walking, and the Streak, now with more shoulder pass throughs and couch stretch. Got 7h15 of sleep last night, though apparently full of snoring thanks to choking on phlegm all night, hooray suddenly coming down with a cold. Watched a couple movies today after I came home early from work (see above mentioned cold, plus not having any work to do in the afternoon), and another with Mrs. Shu when she got home. Good night.

Bis Morgen!

• Like 1

Teri, happy to report the phlegm has been drastically reduced as has the brain fog. Hoping to be back to 90% normality by morning.

Day 48, Saturday.

Lunch was some pita chips, I just wasn't hungry. Dinner was a bacon cheese burger, some fries, and a salad.

Listening was some of Clash of Kings, and This Week in Law. Today's lesson was that many people just don't get it.

Activity today included 3.7 miles of walking and the Streak, got to 1 minute each side today on my Couch Stretch, gonna shoot for 90s tomorrow. Got 7h45 of restless sleep last night, couldn't find a spot I liked early and couldn't stay in a good one late. Watched a season of Red vs Blue in the morning and some football in the afternoon.

Bis Morgen!

• Like 1

Day 49, Sunday.

Lunch was chicken. Dinner was pulled pork, polish sausage, ribs, okra, and onion strings. 

Listening today was some music. Todays lesson was that some people are terrible parents, thankfully I'm sure I could do better.

Activity today included, 3.2 miles of walking, and the Streak (made that 90 seconds on the Couch Stretch, tomorrow 120). Got 8h30 of sleep last night, needed that and it seems to have helped with the cold as it's almost gone now. Finally finished House of Cards (holy crap) and started into Once Upon a Time.

Bis Morgen!

House of Cards is something huh?

Glad you go the sleep, great for kicking cold's tail.

Parenting, it's a rocky road at best and, yea, it's hard to watch some parents failing in the moment we witness. Sometimes it speaks to a real significant issue which bothers the hell outta me. Othertimes it's the height of their troubles and isn't a true reflection of the regular day which is what i always hope for. I wish I knew which was which when I see a parent screwing up something awful. I'm no perfect parent, but some of the things I see just boggle my mind. How are earth could it have gotten to this moment that I'm witnessing!? I'm glad B is 27 now. A lot easier! lol

If I've never had okra, how would you explain the taste and texture to me?

Bis Morgen! (Have a good day?)

Teri, Okra can be slimy if it's cooked wrong, can help thicken soups and stews (and gumbo) as I recall (and is often used in them either way), and is darn tasty fried (though isn't that true of most things?). Bis Morgen means (as best my limited recollection works right now) Until Tomorrow.

Day 50, Monday.

Lunch was chicken and shrimp. Dinner was fried rice, eggs, rice, broccoli, peppers, mushrooms, the usual. 

Listening today was This Week in Tech, back issues of Security Now, and the start of Hunters of Dune. Todays lesson was that you can spend a lot of time organizing things and not actually get anything done.

Activity today included, 3 miles of walking, and the Streak (broke that 2 minute barrier on the Couch Stretch!). Got 6h30 of sleep last night, not the best night by far. Watched a few episodes of Once Upon a Time with Mrs. Shu, and chatted up some nerds. Good times.

Bis Morgen!