Kobnach Continues Ranger Prep

Kobnach

Main Quest: Eliminate Health Risk Factors, a.k.a. Get Healthy! This quest has gone overtime - it was supposed to take 4 challenges, but this will be my 6th, and isn't expected to finish the job.

I'll figure I've arrived when :

- I'm walking (or running) at least 10K steps per day

- I'm eating at least 5 fruits/veggies per day, every day, and 7 or 8 would be better

- I'm sleeping easily, regularly (not erratic schedule), and for an appropriate amount of time.

- My doctor likes the results of my lab work, notably cholesterol, and everything else she checks (blood pressure, bone density, ...)

- My resting heart rate looks "excellent" for my age and gender e.g. per http://www.topendsports.com/testing/heart-rate-resting-chart.htm ("athletic" would be even better)

- My weight stabilizes and goes down a bit - or my clothes size goes down a bit, which would suggest muscle replacing fat.

- I don't get out of breath climbing stairs

- I can routinely run when it would be useful.

- Depression is no longer an issue

I'm getting there by manipulating the first 3 levers (walking, eating, sleep) + strength + flexibility workouts.

My missions this challenge:

1. Keep On Walking. I thought this was a solid habit, but discovered that I lose the habit when sufficiently stressed. So I'm keeping this at an average of 6000 steps per day, as measured by my Basis Band.  STA

2. Do my workout every day, unless I'm travelling or ill. The exact contents of that workout can be expected to vary, but the short form barely takes 5 minutes, so no excuses. STR

3. Get Up In the Morning. Out of Bed by 8 AM every day. Weekends included; cheat days have just been making things worse. Exception for illness, jet lag, and extremely late nights (e.g. spending half the night in the emergency room with a sick family member, or similar). No exception for late nights spent "having fun". CON

My 4th, ungraded mission is to eat my fruits and veggies. Trying to average 5 servings per day. I'm failing rather thoroughly at that one, so I'm giving the potential points to things I think I can establish as habits in this 6 week period. Once I have wakeup and workout under control, I'll be in a position to focus on food, with those 3 in maintenance (or more likely, walking and exercise having their quotas increased).

Life quest: Get a job! (I was laid off at the beginning of September. *sigh*)

• Like 6

Level 6 Dark Elf Ranger

STR 5 | DEX 3 | STA 16 | CON 10 | WIS 13 | CHA 6

Current Challenge  Battle Log   Past: 5 4 3 2 1 0.1

Looks like a solid, realistic, and achievable plan! Well-targeted and focused!

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

Subbing, of course.

Best of luck with the job hunt!

• Like 1

Some kind of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47

It sounds like you're definitely on the right track.

Best of luck in finding a new job! I do quite a bit of work with resumes and have pretty extensive interview experience, so if you ever want someone to bounce ideas off of, let me know! ^.^

• Like 1

Level 2 - Wood Elf - Ranger 

STR : 2 | DEX : 2 | STA : 5 | CON : 3 | WIS : 3 | CHA : 2

Challenges: #1, Current - #2

My Triathlon Training Logs: #1, #2

It sounds like you're definitely on the right track.

Best of luck in finding a new job! I do quite a bit of work with resumes and have pretty extensive interview experience, so if you ever want someone to bounce ideas off of, let me know! ^.^

Thanks. I'm out of practice for job hunting from a position of unemployment - lately I've pretty much waited passively as opportunities came in via LinkedIn, then eventually jumped ship.  I haven't been laid off this century ;-) But then, I've been staying away from startups and similar. I knew when I went to a startup in April that this was a possibility, just didn't expect it to happen, particularly not that fast.

• Like 1

Level 6 Dark Elf Ranger

Thanks. I'm out of practice for job hunting from a position of unemployment - lately I've pretty much waited passively as opportunities came in via LinkedIn, then eventually jumped ship.  I haven't been laid off this century ;-) But then, I've been staying away from startups and similar. I knew when I went to a startup in April that this was a possibility, just didn't expect it to happen, particularly not that fast.

I found my "dream job" at a start up company back in 2007. I turned down multiple job opportunities to take this particular one, and even quit my previous job. Exactly one month after I joined, the entire company collapsed, and sure enough, I was back out looking for a job again! smh. 

And yep - I've been with the same company for close to a decade, but I plan on avoiding startups myself should I need to find a job in the future. Totally agree with you there!

The good news is that I can afford the time on the bench. They were quite decent about severance pay, in spite of it being an "at will employment" state. And I have a contingency fund for emergencies.

The bad(?) news is that I'm way too comfortable not working. The experience has got me looking forward to retirement. Unfortunately if I were to retire now, I'd be far too impoverished for my expensive tastes ;-) Still, I think I'll retrench a bit, and try to hasten that magic retirement date.

• Like 2

Level 6 Dark Elf Ranger

When I have a flexible schedule, I have to admit that I hate the idea of being employed full-time in an office.  But this working part time is kinda nice and is adding to the retirement cushion. Plus, I can workout on the not so crazy busy hours at the gym!

• Like 1

Some kind of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47

A good start on the first official day of the challenge. 7906 steps! The Verstegen exercises are getting a bit easier, and I managed to motivate myself to do them. (Challenge doesn't require them, just an alternation of 2 *very* basic sets of strength/core exercises taking less than 5 minutes.) My wonderful housemate made sure I got up on time. And I've made more space in the living room, so that I can just barely fit most exercises into the space, without having to move boxes and/or chairs before exercising, or resort to the (generally far too hot) back porch as exercise space. (No coincidence that the 5 minute minimum requires very little space ;-0)

Life quest needs attention.

I spent a lot of yesterday creating a probably useless online profile/resume on the state job hunting site. I need to finish it this week as a requirement for receiving UI. But the site categorizes all software people into a small number of categories, and has check off lists of skills, also insufficiently detailed. I strongly suspect any employers searching here just use those categories, in which case they wouldn't come here to look for someone like me - they've no way to distinguish me from every other sub-specialty ;-( If what they want is someone who is adequately described by these categories, then what they want is an interchangeable part/newbie, not any kind of senior person, and they'll want to pay accordingly - which means my salary history will scare them away immediately. 

What I haven't done is contacted anyone about a potential job, and doing that is another requirement for UI. *sigh* Also a requirement for actually getting one, which is the more important thing.

• Like 3

Level 6 Dark Elf Ranger

Have you thought about contacting local temp agencies? The ones around here also do permanent placement in addition to temporary employment. In the past when I've been looking for a job, I always reach out to two or three of them and let them do the work of lining up interviews for me (in conjunction with my own efforts, obviously). Just a thought...

And congrats on a great first day. :panda:

Have you thought about contacting local temp agencies? The ones around here also do permanent placement in addition to temporary employment. In the past when I've been looking for a job, I always reach out to two or three of them and let them do the work of lining up interviews for me (in conjunction with my own efforts, obviously). Just a thought...

And congrats on a great first day. :panda:

I wouldn't expect them to handle any kind of computer programming. Am I out of date?

• Like 1

Level 6 Dark Elf Ranger

Accomplished the bare minimum for my official challenge goals yesterday - but accomplished it.

Also spent the whole work day working, though too much time went to MOOCs. (I need to prune some. I signed up for enough that keeping up is a full time job.)

The living room and kitchen are beginning to emerge from the heap of st0ff. My methods are erratic - grab something that could be better located, and fix; lather, rinse, and repeat - but they are doing the job. The recycling bin in my office is approaching full. Not too many attacks of overwhelming emotion when doing this, even when I gathered up the remnants of Bear's medication yesterday, clearing a little more kitchen space. (Actually, what most commonly gets me is generally financial papers, sometimes lab books from prior jobs.)

I'm slowly cataloguing my books, but that's more for fun than anything else (plus a convenient way to verify whether I already own a particular book, or have read it and didn't like it enough to buy it at the time.

IBS is acting up; not sure why. And last night was one stress dream after another. Or maybe not all stress dreams. The first one I remember featured my deceased grandmother and deceased aunt. I'd been visiting them, and was on my way home, with some directional assistance.

The second dream was a complete riot. It appears that when I lost my job at the startup, I'd kept on working there without pay. I was however working in a room with tiny desks side by side, and my external monitors were somehow powered by my car, with a kludge of a wiring harness. This broke, perhaps pursuant to moving the car. I figured out what was wrong - 2 wires disconnected - but the colours didn't match up, so I wasn't sure how to reconnect them. But it turned out there was a standard, which could be found in a file on any linux system. And my coworker gave me that information, *not* the result of reading the file. But my system is unusable until fixed... or maybe not, if I use the built in monitor. Some bl**dy fool decides to drive the car, with me and a third person in it. But it has no steering, thanks to the same fault. Fortunately the brakes work, and with my emphatic encouragement we get the car stopped and parked by the side of the road, some blocks from where it is needed - and where we need to be (the office).

So I'm telling people I'm leaving for real now - they are surprised, and even more surprised to know I'd already been laid off. And I'm trying to leave a note for a coworker about what to do to fix the monitor. But every post it note pad in my desk turns out to have been written on. I start popping them into my bag - or into the trash, but some cleaning person purloins the waste basket. And then things start disappearing. I can't seem to have all 3 of broken part, functional pen, and blank paper at the same time. Meanwhile more desks (and people) have moved into the room. I ask whether the company had given up one of the floors of the office (to economize). Nope, they are reserving space for a TBH manager - lots of space, given that we now have 8 people in space that didn't properly fit 4. I welcome them to xxx, a large stodgy company I worked for in RL, some jobs ago. They rather agreed. I continue trying to leave the note - it's now very late - but now there's a new problem - table cloths on the desks, in layers, which pop back into place whenever I try to look in the desk. It also occurs to me that the car is personal property, and I need to arrange to get it back.

Someone tells me that the coworker I expected to fix/take over the computer setup was still at work, but when I go where he was supposed to be, it's a manager with the same first name, who ignores me, even though he was previously *my* manager. (Both of these people came from the job before last, but don't in fact have the same first name.)  Then I decide to just leave, and maybe email/call the coworker, but I don't have adequate clothes on. Fortunately there are clothes in the mess of tabelcloths. Unfortunately most of them would be oversize on an ogre, never mind a normal human. I finally find one garment, some kind of overshirt, that more or less fits, and when I put it on I find I'm also wearing pants and something like a tee-shirt, i.e. dressed well enough to leave.

Then I woke up. Unsurprisingly, I got out of bed quickly, even though it was almost an hour before my mandatory wake up time.

• Like 3

Level 6 Dark Elf Ranger

Short update: I appear to have caught the crud. This is the fourth day of feeling "meh" or worse, starting with IBS symptoms and proceeding to headache and sinus/nasal symptoms, with a bit of low grade nausea. I'm not overwhelmingly sick - to the point where during good periods I kept putting the whole thing down to psychology rather than physiology, and telling myself to buck up and do my exercises, etc.

But food mostly fails to appeal, even though I'm hungry, or has unwanted after effects. I've been having trouble with focus and concentration. And today has oscillated between really bad headache and tolerable low grade headache, as my sinuses start producing strings of thick gloop. Slept for part of this afternoon, mostly in an attempt to escape the headache - woke feeling decent, but the headache came back with a vengeance as soon as I stood up.

And I've been hot all week, but presuming this was related to the real world, not to my body, so didn't take my temperature ;-)

On the good side, I've been unpacking and sorting the Meccano my mom sent me. A lot got mixed up in shipping, and the sets of miniature drawers used to organize parts of it had succumbed to shipping - 2 or 3 bashed in drawers and one that had to be pried open. The replacement small part organizing system arrived Friday, and has been set up in its final position, with pieces being moved into it as I rescued them from the mostly defunct system. Plenty more to do, especially since I don't have an inventory which would tell me how many of each part to expect, so things start in partitioned small drawers and then move up. But it will be usable, soon, except to the extent that a few parts have succumbed to old age, and I don't believe Meccano still sells individual parts as well as kits. Those parts are mostly tires, so I guess I won't be making too many cars, just bridges, cranes, clocks, etc. etc.

Also on the good side - very encouraging progress on my main quest (getting a job). A prior manager was very pleased to hear I was looking for work, and told me he'd just had someone quit, so he even had an open req; will post more as this situation develops.

• Like 5

Level 6 Dark Elf Ranger

Sorry you're feeling poorly. I don't think you can chalk it up to being all in your head. I had some bug with an awful headache and intermittent fever about a week ago - it appears there's something going around as a lot of my students have been sick, too.

Hope you feel better soon and that job possibility comes through for you!

• Like 1

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines