[Tony] Gets Back to Consistency

Tony

Simple, no frills challenge this time.

1. Strength training [ 9 / 18 ]

I need to get back to a consistent schedule. So, the goal is be at the gym three times a week, preferably at the same time of the day. I'm going to try to get 2 plates (225 lb) as my workset this time around; however, consistency is the real goal.

2. doyogawithme.com beginner yoga. [ 5 / 12 ]

It's a 6 week course, with a 30min 'class' twice a week. I'm thinking I'll do them in the morning Tuesday and Thursday, but we shall see.

3. Get back to a routine

I haven't gotten back in my routine since the vacation. Since I've already had these habits, I'm hoping they won't take long to reinstate. So, I'm only giving each on them a week of my full attention. However, if it's harder to fall back into my old groove, I'll change this goal.

Week 1: Out of bed at 05:00

[ 05:40 | 5:26 | 5:11 | 5:08 | 5:03 | 5:00 | 6:00 ]

Week 2: Get to the gym at 05:30 MWF

0 days

Week 2 Redux: Get to the gym at 05:30 MWF

Friday only

Week 3: Study Jap. vocab

Week 4: Read before bed

Week 5: Cook breakfast

Week 6: Clean for 10 min a day

• Like 1

Ghoul Monk

Level 6

Push ups: Yellow Belt

Challenge is up.

---

I got some coaching last night from the power-lifting advisor at the university I work for.

My patellar tendons have been bothering me immediately after I squat and the day after my knees are a little achy. On my descent, my knees come too far forward and I twist my foot slightly, especially on light weights. So I have some form issues to work through. But, hopefully, that won't take to long.

I also will make a slight change to my programming based on his advise. One of my lift days will be a light squat day focusing on form.

So, I've squatted two days in a row and my legs are done. I thought I might lift today, but after getting up this morning, I changed my mind.

Ghoul Monk

Level 6

I'm trying something different this challenge. I'm keep the tallies in the OP, rather than scattering them all over the place. We shall see how well it works.

Gym this morning was less than stellar. My knee is still bothering me after squatting; so, I'm dropping the weight to 185 and proceeding from there. On a brighter note, I did get a deadlift PR.

Squat

45x6

135x5

165x3

185x2

205x5

205x3 belted, last rep wonky (most of the weight was on my right side)

185x5

Press

45x5

65x3

85x1

100x5

100x5 last rep wonky and double dip

100x4

Deadlift

135x5

185x3

225x1

275x5 [PR]

• Like 2

Ghoul Monk

Level 6

Got up earlier today, still not 05:00, but closer. My oldest daughter is finally off diapers completely for 7 days now. Well last night she figured out that she could abuse the system by claiming to need to go potty after she was sent to bed. So, there was a couple hours last night where she 'needed' to use the bathroom every 30 minutes. So, in my sleepy stupor this morning, I forgot about yoga. I'll do it tonight after the girls are in bed.

275 lbs?  Wow, that's a lot.  Congrats!

Yeah, it felt heavy. The first time I felt utterly drained after deadlifting. Also, the first time my grip completely gave out on the final rep.

Ooh, getting up there. How close are you to a 2xBW DL?

I weighted myself after the gym (because I was curious as well): 170 lbs. So, about 70 lbs off.

Nice PR!!

Sorry about your knee. :( How do you know it's a tendon? Could it be your anterior patellar ligament? Does it ache when you DONT squat?

How it gets better for you! Nice first day! :)

tumblr_n5r3w6yfh61twkucxo5_r1_500.jpg

Above is a picture of the patellar tendon I was talking about. From the little anatomy vocab I remember, I think we're talking about the same thing and apparently tendon is a misnomer. After the squat, I can massage it a bit and make it stop hurting; so, I'm pretty sure it's that ligament. A day after squatting, there's a slight ache but nothing bad.

Ghoul Monk

Level 6

Nice, Tony!

Nice PR on the DL, too!

Got up I weighted myself after the gym (because I was curious as well): 170 lbs. So, about 70 lbs off.

See, this is why you win in our 'competition' for squats.  You're squating 200# regularly, and that's way above your BW.  I've got 40 pounds on you, man! (And not good pounds, either >.< )

• Like 1

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

Nice, Tony!

Nice PR on the DL, too!

See, this is why you win in our 'competition' for squats.  You're squating 200# regularly, and that's way above your BW.  I've got 40 pounds on you, man! (And not good pounds, either >.< )

I disagree, you got to 200x5x3 before I did. At most it's a draw.

We started at the opposite end of the spectrum. I started my first challenge a little over 150 pounds.

---

Warning: rambling post. I can't get everything I want to put into it to flow together.

Today marks one year since I first climbed in the squat rack.

I need to pay attention to how much I eat and sleep. I've felt like I've been hit by a bus since Monday. It has zapped my will to do anything other than veg out.  After trying to fix my computer (both fans went out) and getting my girls to bed, all my will to do yoga was gone. Hopefully I can get caught up this weekend.

Also I had a hard time getting to the gym this morning, so I was late. In my rush to get dressed out I just slipped my shoes on instead of tying them. During my second set my foot slipped and twisted inside the shoe. Luckily it didn't hurt the knee, but I got scared and dropped the weight and tied my damn shoes. So, lesson learned: take the time to tie my shoes.

Squat

Stationary bike: 2.5 min

135x5

155x3

175x1

185x5

185x2 foot twisted in shoe

175x5

Bench

45x5

95x3

135x1

145x5

145x5

145x3 Thumb gave out, had to do the roll of shame

Chin up - Neutral grip, fat handles

Ghoul Monk

Level 6

- Yesterday -

Finally got to do the first lesson of the yoga program. Learned some new stretches, especially for my shoulders. My youngest daughter wouldn't go to sleep last night; so she was in the floor crawling around while I was stretching. For the standing portion, she just watched and clapped every time I grunted or exhaled heavily. When I was sitting, she stood at my knees and laughed at my grimaces.  And finally during the floor section, she continuously bopped me in the nose and giggled. She's getting to be about as much fun as her older sister.

- Today -

It's odd not to squat while I'm at the gym, but I've decided to rest my knee. This is not the time to fight through the pain, I just need to stop and allow it to heal. My current plan is to not squat for a week but continue everything else unless it starts to hurt. Hopefully a week of RICE will be enough.

Gym:

Press:

45x5

65x3

85x1

100x5x3 [Full Set PR]

105x1 [PR]

85x3

Chin up - Neutral grip, fat handles

3/-2

2/-3

Ghoul Monk

Level 6

1st week recap:

1. Strength training [ 3 / 18 ]

2. doyogawithme.com beginner yoga. [ 2 / 12 ]

3. Get back to a routine: Out of bed at 05:00

[ 05:40 | 5:26 | 5:11 | 5:08 | 5:03 | 5:00 | 6:00 ]

Almost perfect, I stayed out too late Saturday night watching the local football team. Had a few beers and it really messed with my sleep plus the bad ; I'm still recovering. Squeaked by on the yoga, did it Sunday night right before bed.

Today:

Didn't make it to the gym this morning, had to go before lunch.

Bench

45x5

95x3

135x1

145x5

145x5

145x5

Deadlift

135x5

185x3

225x1

285x5

Ghoul Monk

Level 6

Nailed everything for week 1, nice!  How are you finding the yoga so far?

I like it.  I've learned some neat shoulder stretches. The only thing I don't like is the end pose has you facing away from the screen and the video quietly fades out. So, I lay there for a little, get bored and look at the tv, then feel really silly when I realize the show was over.

Beer does make a mess of things. On the other hand, it's super tasty, hence conundrum. Were you watching HS ball or college ball?

College. LSU vs MSU.

• Like 1

Ghoul Monk

Level 6

I like it.  I've learned some neat shoulder stretches. The only thing I don't like is the end pose has you facing away from the screen and the video quietly fades out. So, I lay there for a little, get bored and look at the tv, then feel really silly when I realize the show was over.

Ah - but an extended shavasana to finish is probably good - nice and restful at the end.  Bizarre though.  What an anticlimax.....

NF challenges: March 2018 , 12 , 11 , 10, 9876, 54321

*pokepoke*  So how're things?

Not bad, just very very busy. I have been keeping up with the gym and yoga, but not the routine. 

I tried to update earlier this week but the internet ate it and I haven't had time to rewrite it.

Ghoul Monk

Level 6

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines