• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

bgvanbur

bgvanbur calmly scouts

Main Quest

Run my second 50k on Nov 1

Goal Rational

I need to work on increasing my long runs since my longest run of the year is around half marathon distance.  I planned to get further distance in last challenge but could never have a long enough block of time to run longer distances during.  I am already planning on taking a vacation day during this challenge to get in my 40k in early October.  I want to get two 30k-ish runs before that though.  I also plan on getting a bike during this challenge so I will count that for normal runs.  So I will make a goal for long runs and another goal for lots of regular running to keep my running base.

I want to lose some more weight before I haul it for 50k, and for me the best way to do that is logging my food every day.  The actual goal will be easy so only 2 stat points, but the point is to keep the calories in a good range.

I tend to over react on the small stuff (like literally crying over spilled milk).  So I need to work on that.  Though for the bigger stuff I am usually the calm in the storm.  And with fall and winter approaching, I need to play some more with the kids outside before the warm weather escapes.  I won't make these goals specific on purpose (they also won't have as much stats assigned to it).

Goals
1) One long run each week. +5 STA
2) 3.5 hours of exercise each week not including long run. +2 STR +2 DEX
3) Log all food (MyFitnessPal) +2 CON
4) Don't sweat the small stuff +2 WIS
5) Play outside with the boys +2 CHA

Stats
LVL: 17, STR: 18, DEX: 21.5, STA: 37.25, CON: 13, WIS: 13.25, CHA: 8.25

That's funny that you are stoic during big things but very reactive to smaller stuff, my husband can be just like that. Good luck this Challenge, I'm looking forward to following your race prep.

That's funny that you are stoic during big things but very reactive to smaller stuff, my husband can be just like that. Good luck this Challenge, I'm looking forward to following your race prep.

Sometimes I think it works out well with my wife and I since she is the exact opposite (calm during small stuff but panics with the big stuff) so she reminds me to be calmer on the small stuff and I can help calm her down during the big stuff.

and playing outside with the boys can easily turn into goal #2. At least, at my house. Good luck!

I won't necessarily count it, I also have a dog that walk and starting to do mini runs with (like 0.2 and 0.3 mile runs several times a day).

Updating second goal to include any exercise, since I want to do some bodyweight/barbell training like once a week to get ready for winter strength training.

Kailer, thanks for fixing the thread title.  I was rushing to finish my first post to get to bed at a decent time.

The week off was great.  I ran every morning and got in ten runs all between 3 and 5 miles.  A total of 34.8 miles for the week (up from 19.5 from the previous week, and up in general).  No long run, but considering the bump in mileage I am not too mad about it.  I even got two stroller runs in and my dog ran her first 3 miler (up from 1.5 miles running, wanted to take her on a caution hunters trail before hunting season started and she just wanted to keep going and going, she loves the cooler weather).  Besides I got a promised long run for this upcoming weekend since the in-laws will be in and will help with the kids.

Diet was a crap shoot, good some days, bad others, resulting a heavier than desired weigh in for the start of this challenge (but mostly bloat and should reside).  Despite the extra weight, my body fat measurements are down from the start of the last challenge and the lowest for the year (but not quite as low as I got for my 50k last year, so some more work to do :)

And playing with kids was great this weekend, lots of tag football, ball passing around, I put them on tires and pulled them around the yard (my oldest kid makes this quite challenging), and they played on their own outside a bit too.

I was fairly calm the last few days, did have an incident where I a little harsh on one of the boys for misbehaving.

It's official, I signed up for the 50k today!

• Like 1

Wow.  I am hoping to do a 25 k in a month, and then a long race in March.  I am finding that I don't ever have time for a long run, though.  How do you do it?  Also, what is the long run goal for a 50k?  Does one try to run the race distance, or longer, in training?  I just can't see how to fit that much time into life....

Cheers!

Good luck!

Wow.  I am hoping to do a 25 k in a month, and then a long race in March.  I am finding that I don't ever have time for a long run, though.  How do you do it?  Also, what is the long run goal for a 50k?  Does one try to run the race distance, or longer, in training?  I just can't see how to fit that much time into life....

Cheers!

Good luck!

The 50k I am doing is a 10k loop done five times (it also has some shorter distances using the same loop).  So last year I was focused running 3-4 times a week with a long run each week, working up to a 40k on the course (it is only 4.5 miles from my house, easy to practice on).  This year I plan to run 2-3 miles every morning (easy base work), a trail group run one night a week (speed work), and one long run on the weekend (endurance work).  The length is still a concern this year so the long runs are my highest priority.  And for the 40k training runs I use a vacation day when the kids are at school, but the shorter long runs I just start real early in the morning and usually done by the time the last family member is finishing breakfast.

Thanks.

So I have 2:10 in exercise already for this week.  Diet has been rough to get back on track from the week off :)  Legs a little sore from squats last night.

The 50k I am doing is a 10k loop done five times (it also has some shorter distances using the same loop).  So last year I was focused running 3-4 times a week with a long run each week, working up to a 40k on the course (it is only 4.5 miles from my house, easy to practice on).  This year I plan to run 2-3 miles every morning (easy base work), a trail group run one night a week (speed work), and one long run on the weekend (endurance work).  The length is still a concern this year so the long runs are my highest priority.  And for the 40k training runs I use a vacation day when the kids are at school, but the shorter long runs I just start real early in the morning and usually done by the time the last family member is finishing breakfast.

Thanks for the advice!

I have ran the last dozen mornings.  Most days I got to see a beautiful sunrise.  Since today I decided to take my phone for some music I also got in a few pics :)

Today was a rough day emotionally for me, not very calm.  Today has been much better so far (it helps to know I get to run and be with friends tonight though).

250 minutes of exercise this week, nailed my base fitness goal for the week.

A 30k long run planned for tomorrow morning on actual race course with fellow runners that will also be running 50k race :)  But my wife is seeing her orthopedic about her prosthetic femur this afternoon, so will be dependent on what they plan to do about the problem.

Yesterday was quite calm.

Today, I got around to dismantling the washer to found what was causing the random noises, one of the dampeners broke so ordered that and a new timer knob.  Feels good to figure this stuff on my own :)

Ate better amount yesterday, so not quite weight loss mode, but an improvement.  And this morning I started using TwoGrand to take pics of my meals, I will try it for the rest of the day and figure out if I like it or not.