• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

bgvanbur

bgvanbur calmly scouts

My 30k went great, I ran with some friends and actually ended up running it faster and easier.  My legs were a tad sore for the rest of the day but perfectly fine the day after (still took a rest day with no running).  I was worried since my longest run this year has only been around 13-14 miles and I haven't been doing much distance lately, but I have been running short and frequently which definitely helps endurance in a different way.  I even got 40 running miles last week (all those short runs add up).

I got my birthday present early, so I got my new bike already!  Not even a mile into riding someone runs a stop sign and too close for comfort to hitting me.

Diet was roller coasty, 5669 over goal (note even after subtracting exercise calories I probably still ate 1500 calories above maintenance).

Calmness was a wreck at the beginning of the week but I have really worked on it and feel more calm.  I listened to lots of Colbie Caillat :)

Played with boys during the week but with in-laws visiting this weekend they were busy doing things with them.

Week One Progress
1) One long run each week.

30k!  A+
2) 3.5 hours of exercise each week not including long run.

4:20 not including long run!  A+
3) Log all food (MyFitnessPal)

Logged.  A+
4) Don't sweat the small stuff

Early first week was bad, rest of week good.  C
5) Play outside with the boys

We played outside on two school nights.  B

Week Two Plan

Continue being calm and don't eat too much.

Doing great so far this week with lots of thing so far (diet, exercise, calmness).  Got in an easy 35 minute lunch time bike ride today :)  It's nice having a bike again.

Watched some National Pro Grid last night and it is an interesting concept for a team weight lifting sport.  I did some heavy deadlift singles last night, lunges, and pull ups since grid inspired me to.

Jealous of your home weight setup and all the running you're doing. I shall live vicariously through your thread until I become a runner/lifter again :P

Jealous of your home weight setup and all the running you're doing. I shall live vicariously through your thread until I become a runner/lifter again :tongue:

Thanks.  I was lucky and got all my weights for free.  When my mom moved into a house the previous owners left a bunch of weights.  My father-in-law gave me all his weights and a bench press bench (he was moving into a smaller place and top of that he hurt his shoulder and didn't want them anymore).  And I was running one day and someone had a bar and weights at the curb, and since the garbage truck was in sight I farmer walked the weights home (about 60 pounds and a half mile, quite the workout and I wasn't sure if I was going to make it near the end I was so exhausted).  The squat stands I built since squats are the best (so like $15).  The tires are old ones from the van and the ones on top were left at our current house in the shed when we moved in.

No run this morning... instead I biked in the dark!  I used a headlamp and it was quite chilly, but lots of fun.  Besides I have a group run tonight so already going to get a run in today :)

Got two running books at the library.  Both based around marathoners (last year I made the mistake of reading Once A Runner before my 50k which made me crazy wanting to run milers when I should focus on long runs).

Which books did you get? And have you ever read Haruki Murakami's What I Talk About When I Talk About Running? He equates running a marathon to writing novels and vice versa, and he can get very... Japanese in his philosophies, but it's still a fun read. My favorite chapter is still when he talks about running his first marathon and how he got irrationally angry at sheep. :lol:

• Like 1

Which books did you get? And have you ever read Haruki Murakami's What I Talk About When I Talk About Running? He equates running a marathon to writing novels and vice versa, and he can get very... Japanese in his philosophies, but it's still a fun read. My favorite chapter is still when he talks about running his first marathon and how he got irrationally angry at sheep. :lol:

This is one of the best books in history, IMO. It's very inspiring.

I loved that book too.  I think I read it based on Primeval's recommendation :)

Great job on that 30K!! Enjoy your new bike :)

Thanks, and definitely enjoying the bike, I got in two half hour rides on Sunday.

Ooooo running books. Let us know if either of them are good.

I am reading Running Random Road by Caleb Daniloff.  It is a mix of his drug ridden past and marathons that he runs and is making for a good read.

I did pretty good last week, will do a proper week summary tomorrow.

• Like 1

Week Two Progress
1) One long run each week.

Had a long workout day, so B.
2) 3.5 hours of exercise each week not including long run.

3:55 not including long run!  A+
3) Log all food (MyFitnessPal)

Logged.  A+
4) Don't sweat the small stuff

Did better.  B+
5) Play outside with the boys

School nights were busy and weekends were busy too.  F

Week Three Plan

It's my birthday on Friday, so I want to eat less earlier in the week since I know I will feast this weekend (also going to a party in addition to my own birthday get together).

Was it I interesting riding in the dark?

Catching them all from my iPad using tapatalk

I am used to running in the dark with a headlamp and/or flashlight on both roads and trails.  I used the headlamp with my bike, and the roads were fine, but the pitch blackness of the trail was creepy at the faster speed.

So instead of a long run on Sunday, I got in a 2 mile dog run, 3 near 1RM deadlifts, 90 minutes of push lawn mowering, two 30 minute easy rides on the bike, 230 burpees (10 at a time every time possession changed during football), and a 70 minute run.  I will count it as a B for the long run since it was quite endurancy but not all at once.  My core is still sore (not sure if burpees or deadlift).  I think I more than double my lifetime burpees since I tried to do a bunch of burpees once and sprained my toe and was always wary of them since.

• Like 1

My abs were sore both Monday and Tuesday.  I think it might have been all the burpees, but not ruling out the deadlifts either (but usually deadlift DOMS for me is in the back and not the front abs).  So I took it easy Tuesday.  And my abs are peaking out again on the top, so my body fat getting low so I don't need to carry it around any more :)

Doctor's appointment yesterday went great!  104/60 bp and 51 pulse!

Today did an all out 5k instead of an easy morning run.  Shaved 2 seconds off my PR!  Definitely a mental exercise to keep up a good pace the entire time.

• Like 2

Bgv, I need tips for running trails at night with a headlamp. Did a race/group run tonight and although I didn't completely wipe out I did go slower than I wanted and twisted my ankle at one point. How do you not fall? How do you go fast?

On the upside, it was a very peaceful experience that I greatly enjoyed. Looking forward to the next one.

Bgv, I need tips for running trails at night with a headlamp. Did a race/group run tonight and although I didn't completely wipe out I did go slower than I wanted and twisted my ankle at one point. How do you not fall? How do you go fast?

On the upside, it was a very peaceful experience that I greatly enjoyed. Looking forward to the next one.

Around my fourth time out with a headlamp was a 5 mile trail fun race and I sprained my ankle pretty bad on a divet turning around a tree.  After that point I started running with both a headlamp (50 lumens) and a flashlight (100 lumens).  For me this works really, I know other who prefer just a bright headlamp (some of the people I run with have 150 and one even has a 250 lumen one which lights up everything).  I think I might get a higher lumen headlamp at some point.

I don't mind running fast on the roads or the flat rail-to-trail path in the dark since I feel safe about not tripping, but even on the trails I know I go slower in the dark.  And trails I am not too familar with I try to keep it slow.  And always slow down for rooty or tricky parts that you know since you don't have as much warning on them.  Better to run tomorrow too than to run fast and fall today.

230 burpees, you win!!!!! Wow. Sorry, I need to point this out to the other members of the 100 burpee club. @18ck @nianne

Thanks, still it was sets of 10 over a span of 2.5 half hours (American football game on the DVR).  If I do a forearm plank I can still feel them in my abs :)

• Like 1

Since my arms get tired on my long runs lately, I decided to run with weights.  I have 2 pound, 5 pound, and 8 pound dumbbells.  I decided to go with the 5 pounders.  A quarter mile in to my planned 3 mile run my arms were screaming.  Somehow I managed to run all 3 miles with screaming arms.  I wonder if it will help.

• Like 1

I think running with weights sounds like a good strategy for what you are trying to accomplish. Let me know if that works!

Thanks for the tips. I was thinking you might have some magic zen night running tip, but it's good to know slowing down is the sensible thing to do. I have a 90 lumen headlamp, which seems adequate. I will try adding a handheld next time.

• Like 1

The abs are back to normal, only took most of a week :)  I got in my group run last night (5k preview and an extra hill mile with a few people).  So I am at 3:05 for the week and only need 25 more non-long-run exercise for the goal which will most likely be a bike ride on Sunday.  Everything is set for a 30k training group run on Saturday.

Tonight planning a bonfire since it will still be warm enough they won't complain and dark early enough so they don't have to stay up too late.  Weenies, sausages, marshmellows and all ready.  Hopefully I won't eat too much :)  My diet has been great and back to the 165 this morning while the previous week or so I have hovered in the low 170s.

I have been quite calm, but unfortunately I think my wife is getting mad annoyed lately at normal things the kids/dogs do (especially while I am working from home and don't want to intervene too much so that I can get my work done).