• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Syren

Syren Rocks Out (to bad 80's music)

Syren Rocks Out (To Bad 80’s Music)

Physical

You betcha, another strength training goal. I just can't get it down to a habit, so I keep trying different things. I know strength training is good for me... I just hate it. I'm going to try an every day approach this time for 20 - 30 minutes each session.

Rolling

Due to all the aches and pains I frequently acquire, despite the phenomenal amount of stretching that I already do, I want to add in foam rolling to my regime. So everyday, one of my muscle masses is going to get rolled.

Safety

Because I always need an extra challenge, I would like to make my left foot my dominant pool exiting foot since the right tends to be swollen nearly all the time due to an old soft tissue injury. The right one works, but why overburden it?

Manic

Do something Scouty almost every day. This will probably be swimming majority of the time since it is the thing that I love. I am still aiming to get in a least one kayak trip, one SCUBA trip (more adventurey), a couple of walk/runs, and biking excursions throughout the challenge.

Fire

In the vast experiment of trying to follow the paleo/primal path a bit, this challenge I am giving up the legumes for a bit, or giving better effort to do so.

Keeping up with the low EtOH consumption as well.

This challenge: The things about legumes that I love -- peanut butter, soy sauce, refried beans, red beans and rice, hop’n’johns, black bean salsa, the Pooh Bear -- the best smoothie ever

Stop drinking soda pop!

Take

Stats and I have a hate hate relationship, and because of this, I am retaking my experimental design class. I understand the content, but I could not express the understanding properly on my exams last year. I do not like pressing the restart button when it comes to class work, so this year I am trying something different: 30 minutes of stats each day to get the wording on my essay exams just right. The math is not really involved in this class, it is theory and application of stats in biology. I may be writing a lot of posts about this class since re-writing is one of my study necessities.

Bad

Yay, more teeth cleaning challenges! Devoting a whole 4 minutes a day to the brushing instead of just willy nilly throwing the brush in there. 2 minutes in the morning, 2 minutes in the evening. Must maintain the flossing though.

Physical Fitness Training (0/36) +2.5 Strength

0%
0%

Exit Stage Left (0/36) + 1 Sinisterity

0%
0%

Foam Roll (0/36) +1 Dexterity

0%
0%

Scoutyness (0/36) +2.5 Stamina

0%
0%

Legume and Alcohol Free (0/36) +2 Constitution 0% Soda (0/35) +1 Constitution

0%
0%

Study Experimental Design (0/36) +2.5 Wisdom

0%
0%

Proper Brushing of the Teeth and Flossing (0/42) +2.5 Charisma

0%
0%
  • Like 2

I look forward to your Scouty exploits. Also disagree with your suggestion that this is somehow bad music.

I was having some trouble picking songs myself, since I love what most people traditionally call "bad 80's music." If I could have found a way to put it with one of my challenges, Land Down Under would definitely make the playlist. But since I am not attempting to consume Vegemite or box roos and drop bears, I think I will have to miss out on it :(

• Like 1

Hmm, in my excitement for a new challenge, I completely forgot to include a bit about my master quest. It has been the same for nearly 6 challenges now, but *shrugs* why not remind and motivate myself? So some edits:

Syren Rocks Out (To Bad 80’s Music) While Getting Stronger! RAWR

How is this going to go down?

I'm going to get Physical

You betcha, another strength training goal. I just can't get it down to a habit, so I keep trying different things. I know strength training is good for me... I just hate it. I'm going to try an every day approach this time for 20 - 30 minutes each session.

Do some Rolling

Due to all the aches and pains I frequently acquire, despite the phenomenal amount of stretching that I already do, I want to add in foam rolling to my regime. So everyday, one of my muscle masses is going to get rolled.

Do a little Safety Dance

Because I always need an extra challenge, I would like to make my left foot my dominant pool exiting foot since the right tends to be swollen nearly all the time due to an old soft tissue injury. The right one works, but why overburden it?

And become a Maniac in the pool

Do something Scouty almost every day. This will probably be swimming majority of the time since it is the thing that I love. I am still aiming to get in a least one kayak trip, one SCUBA trip (more adventurey), a couple of walk/runs, and biking excursions throughout the challenge.

Keep feeding the Fire

In the vast experiment of trying to follow the paleo/primal path a bit, this challenge I am giving up the legumes for a bit, or giving better effort to do so.

Keeping up with the low EtOH consumption as well.

This challenge: The things about legumes that I love -- peanut butter, soy sauce, refried beans, red beans and rice, hop’n’johns, black bean salsa, the Pooh Bear -- the best smoothie ever

LIFE QUESTS

Take and pass and pass some stats!

Stats and I have a hate hate relationship, and because of this, I am retaking my experimental design class. I understand the content, but I could not express the understanding properly on my exams last year. I do not like pressing the restart button when it comes to class work, so this year I am trying something different: 30 minutes of stats each day to get the wording on my essay exams just right. The math is not really involved in this class, it is theory and application of stats in biology. I may be writing a lot of posts about this class since re-writing is one of my study necessities.

Make a Bad mouth gooder... er better

Yay, more teeth cleaning challenges! Devoting a whole 4 minutes a day to the brushing instead of just willy nilly throwing the brush in there. 2 minutes in the morning, 2 minutes in the evening. Must maintain the flossing though.

Physical Fitness Training (0/36) +2.5 Strength

0%
0%

Exit Stage Left (0/36) + 1 Sinisterity

0%
0%

Foam Roll (0/36) +1 Dexterity

0%
0%

Scoutyness (0/36) +2.5 Stamina

0%
0%

Legume and Alcohol Free (0/36) +2 Constitution

0%
0%

Study Experimental Design (0/36) +2.5 Wisdom

0%
0%

Proper Brushing of the Teeth and Flossing (0/42) +2.5 Charisma

0%
0%

So far so good today, though I skimped on my swim because I woke up late and had to get to class.

Strength -- Leg day on Sworkit (sooo many squats and lunges) 

Foam roll -- Leg day -- ankle feels half way awesome

Swim

600 - 200 easy, 200 hesitation drill, 200 swim

200 - swim build easy to mod. fast

4 x 100 IM descend easy to mod. fast

200 easy

Total 1400

Out on the left foot. No cramps in the quadriceps today!

Legume free so far, dinner plans are jambalaya. I need to check to package once more for signs of okra or soybean isolates, but I think it the only truly bad thing in it is some xanthum gum which is a corn isolate.

(Yes, I know isolates are bad, but Zataran's was on sale, roux is obnoxious to make from scratch, and I need some easy to grab and throwh in a pot foods to make me not eat out every night). 

Physical Fitness Training (2/36) +2.5 Strength

5%
5%

Exit Stage Left (1/36) + 1 Sinisterity

2%
2%

Foam Roll (1/36) +1 Dexterity

2%
2%

Scoutyness (1/36) +2.5 Stamina

2%
2%

Legume and Alcohol Free (0/36) +2 Constitution

0%
0%

Study Experimental Design (2/36) +2.5 Wisdom

5%
5%

Proper Brushing of the Teeth and Flossing (1/42) +2.5 Charisma

2%
2%
  • Like 1

The rice dinner did not happen last night. Due to a series of unfortunate events, I ended up at Chik-fila 15 minutes before they shut off the fryers for my dinner. 

The food goal is off to a poor start.

Day 2

Anyway, 

got in an upper body/arm workout this morning, but due to another series of unfortunate events related to the ones last night, missed my opportunity to swim.

Studied some stats: I hate you homogeneity of variance. You and your assuming that the variation across treatments is not significant. HOV is a necessary assumption when it comes to running a one factor analysis of variance, but I still hate it. 

Actually, I am full of hate today: I hate the rain, I hate my apartment complex management team, I hate people that can't follow simple instructions, I hate people that don't call you when they hurt themselves, but insist on making you feel guilty once they call you in the morning, (I don't have fucking omniscience!), I hate FL and AL drivers (or anyone that can't drive in the rain safely), I hate... ok, I think I ran out. It's just an irritating day, so I am going to make a turkey burger with a heap of mustard and sriracha and forget about it. But not homogeneity of variance. I need to remember that.

Started off with a core workout. I am finding that Sworkit really likes cardio movements on their circuits. I want strength training damnit! I'll have to make a custom workout each day for this I guess.

Back to the pool today! It helps so much with the anger relief.

250 Easy choice (free)

10 x 25 lifeguard spot/dog paddle (I have honestly forgotten how to dog paddle so I don't think that I did this properly)

5 x 100 Stroke (IM) 75 steady pace, 25 sprint

500* or 5 x 100 fartlek (fast, steady, fast, steady, fast)

250* or 10 x 25 choice kick fast/easy

5 x 50 choice 1/2 under water, 1/2 sprint, 1/2 easy, 1/2 sprint (these were actually fun!)

200 easy choice 

Total 2200

Got out on the left foot. Still feels really awkward and I have to throw my knee out pretty far to get up there, but it was easier than Monday.

I know most people have a terrible time remembering to brush in the evening before bed, but I have a problem remembering/finding time to brush in the morning. This is mostly due to the fact that my mornings can be quite busy and frantic.I do everything in the morning. I really would like to brush my teeth after breakfast, but breakfast just isn't the first thing I can do in the morning. So my whole routine usually does not account for brushing my teeth in the time crunch. This morning however, I brushed as soon as I got up. I don't think that this does anything, but we shall see. Waiting for bedtime to floss and brush again.

Going to foam roll my calves and shoulders after dinner. These are more point and precision areas with a tennis ball today. My bad ankle is about the size of a baseball right now. Not sure why it is acting up.

Stats are also going to be read after dinner... come one buffalo chicken pizza, cook faster!

• Like 1

Leg day!

Squats, lunges, some other odd leg movements, but mostly squats and lunges!

Foam rolled.

Swam 1200 yards.. my right knee was doing funky things and it was getting painful to kick

4 x 300 swim, kick, pull choice (funky IM order)

Got out on the left foot again, harder today.

Legume and alcohol free so far.

Must find out why I have unlabeled samples before I do anything else.

I need to give foam rolling a try sometime.  Is it that helpful?  You are doing good otherwise.  I had a cruddy food day a couple days ago too.  One bad day/meal happens.  

I have bad meal weeks, it seems. I am going to get back on track tonight for dinner.

Upper body day -- so many push up sets

Foam rolled the legs today. It does help a good bit. Foam rolling is almost like a deep tissue massage, but awkward. It is a bit painful and it can be a bit difficult to contort in ways to get certain muscle masses.

Swim, I enjoyed my swim so much this morning that I did not go to GIS lecture. Not that I need to go to GIS lecture, because I am not learning anything there, except that my professor should not be a teacher.

600 -- 200 swim, 200 drill, 200 swim

100 kick alt sides

4 x 50 fly easy to threshold

150 easy choice (everything but fly)

3 x 50 fly easy mod to threshold

2 x 50 fly mod to threshold

50 fly race pace

50 kick easy choice

500 mod. fast free

300 kick/swim mix

Total 2500

Actually, if I hadn't stopped to eat breakfast, I probably could have made it to class on time... but I really wanted breakfast... and I didn't really want to sit and be read to.

Nevertheless, I need to do my GIS lab work from this week and some Experimental Design homework after teaching today. And maybe a Spanish lesson. GIS doesn't take long, I just have to read through the bullshit instead of bullet points of what to do. You don't have to write a narrative when it comes to a procedure. Yes I know biology labs do this, and I hate it. Steps or bullets with short bouts of text are all you need for such things. You don't have to weed through extra information that is surely interesting but not that pertinent to the immediate task.

• Like 1

Great start with swimming workouts and all that rolling!

I need to brushing my teeth first thing every morning or else everything tastes gross.

Sounds like you got over the food hump too

Hmm, I have noticed that I am drinking a lot of soda pop lately... (yeah I'm from a place that calls it soda, pop, or coke at any given time of day). So I think I am going to tweak my food goal just a tad to get off of this terrible habit!

The no alcohol and no legumes will be one of those nebulous goals I try to attain but won't put myself under pressure for at the moment.

• Like 1

Leg Day! 

Foam Rolling

Swim

200 swim

300 kick

100 pull

400 IM

2 x 200 IM

4 x 100 IM

300 drill

200 swim easy choice

Total 2300

Left foot out: nailed it, twice.

This morning was pretty awesome. I was pumped after working out, and could deal with most of the road rage in a constructive fashion that did not involve coming up with the most complex curses known to man, instead, I car danced. untz untz untz untz

But then life devolved into GIS class where we were read to about georeferencing (interesting if you read it in a book, less so if you must listen to a bad lecturer in highly accented English repeat himself four times and try to get answers out of half-baked environmental science students). Ugh! There is nothing I can do to make this better it would seem, so it is driving me batty. I haven't had to waste time and money like this since I graduated with my BS. It is extremely irritating. If he didn't randomly take attendance and attribute it to our final grade, I would not be there! Our exams are online! The material is online! He reads directly from the online material! I know how to use the basics of this program, please teach me how to input data into the database portion and how to make shape files and stop wasting my time.  :rolleyes-new:  :rolleyes:  -_-  <_<

Ran a gel for my positive control, and it came up negative. Which is weird. So I am going to run the positive control again, with the same DNA samples but a different batch of the control primer. If it still comes up negative, I will have to make new batches of the test primers and run their gradients all over again. This is fine, I was just beginning to think that a couple of DNA samples were finally working after having discovered most of my stuff was degraded.

Time for lab. Confuse the students with dilution equations, because these are important. Lament that 3/4 of the students fail at studying (I told them what to study last week as an experiment: my n = 24 but the Gaussian distribution resulted in a left skew so that I have to determine the median value as my adjusted average. No, I did not fill out the proper paperwork for a human study, so the experiment really didn't happen).

Finally I got to go home and make turkey sausage hash...er ragu... er goulash? Something with potatoes, turkey sausage, peppers, onions. And now I am going to sleep, because my brain needs a break... hmm, spanish and exp. design need to be studied. I will continue to not drink Mountain Dew, I will continue to not drink Mountain Dew...

• Like 1

So many pushups. I actually made it to 9 in 30 seconds on a few of my reps. While this doesn't seem like a lot, I am pretty thrilled since I have a hard time doing pushups and am still in a kneeling modified pushup. 

I'm weird and do a modified reverse pushup, because if I try to do traditional pushups, I don't get all the way down and then back up again: i.e. I'm lazy and halfass them. If I start all the way at the bottom, I have to push all the way up, then return to the bottom. It seems counter productive, but I would rather do it right and actually build up my strength with a few reps than do it wrong with 15 or so of the regular ones but have my form be complete crap because I get lazy. Why on my knees? Well I found that I try to contort my lower back to help me get up to a full pushup if I don't use my knees, this is bad because it hurts my back and gives me bad pushup form.

If I can make 10 regularly on my knees, I will see about doing some full reverse pushups in the next couple weeks. I am starting to have bicep definition and it is pretty!

Swim was really short today, I could not muster the energy. I started a bit late today since I was going to take the day to do some extra study for my exam Thursday. The late start and warm water, plus I forgot my water just drained me pretty quickly. However, I read an article in swimmer magazine this morning that mentioned cooler water temps may trick swimmers into over eating after their swim. I haven't really noticed this, but I will keep an eye out for it. In the past if my core body temp gets cold shocked I have a tendency to not want to eat, just get some hot coffee and a few blankets, curl up with a book or a pillow.

1200 Easy set 100 Swim, 200 free drill, 300 pull, 300 Swim, 200 IM drill,100 pull

Got out on the left foot, but almost forgot about it and tried to do the right first.

Need to go brush my teeth and review some psuedoreplication notes.

• Like 1

Interesting about cold water and over eating afterwards - I would say this is true for me unless its crazy cold and Im so distracted warming up!

Yeah for bicep definition  :tyrannosaurus: rawrrrrr

I did not do a core workout today. No, instead I mistakenly crawled back under the covers after retrieving my glass of water and snuggled back into half asleep/half awake mode. I apparently either need to just go to bed a 9pm every day or sleep until 6am rather than 5am, I am so tired... roughly I get 6 hours of sleep regularly I suppose, though I am aiming for 7 - 8 hours. Whenever I am fully rested though, I still get up after 7 ish hours. 

Oh well, I am tired, so I skilled core day and just did a swim with a long series of stretches afterward. I was reading a swim fitness magazine yesterday and one article touched on stretching: dynamic is better before the swim, and multiple sets of 30 second static holds are better after. It cited a couple of studies, but it really depends on the person. I felt a bit more flexible after the workout with the static stretches, but now I am pretty stiff again. Need to get up and move around a bit.

200 swim easy

8 x 25 pull IM order

400 Free moderate fast

6 x 100 IMs fast (w00t consistent 00:01:50)

8 x 25 Fly fast/sprints alt. (w00t consistent 00:00:20 sprints)

4 x 50 1/2 underwater, 1/2 sprint, 1/2 easy, 1/2 sprint

150 swim decrease exertion

Total 2000

foam rolled shoulders after stretch

Late for GIS, did not want to be rude and interrupt, so I graded quizzes instead.

I tried something a bit different, and a lot out of my comfort zone today. Yes, I can walk around all day on the pool deck with my somewhat scanty little racing suit on, but ask me to do squats where maybe five people can see me, and I get all embarrassed. Squats in a wet suit, in SCUBA gear, fine... squats in a swim suit,  :redface-new:  

Anyway, I mixed my strength training (leg day) in between my swim sets. (Extreme interval training?)

Dynamic Stretching for 5 minutes (Full Body)

600 Swim/Kick/Pull Choice (200 each) 

2 minutes -- Squats/Forwards Lunges/Reverse Lunges/Calf Raises (30 seconds each)

500 Drill choice (change drills by 50's)

2 minutes -- Squats/Forwards Lunges/Reverse Lunges/Calf Raises (30 seconds each)

600 Free/Breast/Free (by 200's)

12 x 50 Swim Choice Intervals with 15 second Rest between

(50 seconds back and breast, 45 second flys, 40 second frees: totally slow, but good for me)

200 Swim/Kick Choice (alt by 25's) 

10 - 20 minute static stretching (Full body)

5 minute tennis ball of torture (Hams, Glutes, Trapz, and Rotary)

Total 2500 yards (01:45:00)

This was kinda fun. I definitely did not get bored until the stretching. I also did not steal this from anyone else (it is mine!), but feel free to steal from me if you would like some middle distance surf and turf training. 

First exam in Experimental Design is today, at 4pm... so I am stuck waiting forever... 

• Like 1