• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Syren

Syren Rocks Out (to bad 80's music)

Brain fried ultra crispy. Though not half as bad as last year. May the fretting that I forgot something important commence.

Sleep? Yes, sleep shall be good. 

Hey Syren! We've been chatting in my thread so I came and checked out your challenge thread! I like the challenges, especially the Study Experimental Design one haha! I know the feel of taking a gross course like that and I'm hoping to keep my own head above water during exams too. I might try your method of dedicating a small chunk of time each day and incorporating the study into a wider forum like this! 

Anyways, I hope the test went well for ya and that you go for a good hard swim to shake the brain friedness! I know a good workout always helps clear my head too.

giphy.gif

^*How I feel during a hard exam. I may or may not do the flailing too....*

Extreme interval training day 2... sort of, I was lazy getting out of bed so did not get to finish the workout

5 minutes dynamic stretching (full body)

2 minutes -- Pushups/Pool Ups/Triceps Dips/Pushups (30 seconds each)

400 drills IM order

600 kick by 50's -- 6 free, 6 choice

500 Free

100 Water jog

10 minutes static stretching (Full body)

Total 1500

No studying of Experimental Design as exams are not cumulative. So I can chill... 

Mmm.. I made my students write summaries... I should grade those... I guess.

• Like 1

I might know by Thursday this week, but unless my professor, who is also the chair of the department and has at least 4 graduate students all trying to graduate right now, had a lot of free time this weekend, I am betting sometime in the first full week of October I might get the results. Essay exams are so much fun.

In order to be on time for GIS today, I had to skip 300 yards of butterfly sprints...

Other things to blame: my bed being all cozy at 5am and me missing my bedtime last night by about an hour with constant late night interruptions due to rolling onto bruises or cats.

While attempting to clean my apartment over the weekend, I fell into a broken table and one of the bicycles fell on top of my knee. I was trying to extract said bicycle from behind a pile of recycling without having to move that recycling. I lost my balance, and when I tried to catch myself, fell back into the table that was stationed for going out to the trash later that day. I took a glass milk bottle to the ankle when the SO tried to extract me from bike and recycling. Luckily, that incident was just a bump instead of true gravity taking hold. 

I still did my leg workout this morning, albeit slightly modified to accommodate the protests of the black and blue patella. 

Let's see... What did I swim this morning? Oh yeah:

200 free easy

300 drill fingertip drag/free alt

100 backstroke kick

4 x 50 Fly Fast/Easy Alt by 25's

4 x 50 Fly Pace/Easy Alt by 13/37

4 x 50 Fly Pace/Easy Alt by 25's

(4 x 50 Fly  Fly Pace/Easy Alt by 37/13)

(2 x 50 Fly Easy Alt Sprint by 50's)

100 IM easy

100 backstroke kick

200 free easy

Total 1600

I feel like there is something missing since the workout was supposed to be 2200 total this morning on the Master's board I just cannot remember what it was.

Today, is  a completely meh kind of day. 

Did not want to get up, still would just like to lounge around all day...

Got in the pool though for about 15 minutes:

300 free easy to pace build

4 x 25 Free out and in rotate on each 25: push up (x3), pool up (x3), push up (x3), triceps dip (x3)

150 backstroke kick

So this is not a real workout, I just could not muster will to do a workout.

Tuesdays seem to be hitting a pattern of meh. I guess I use everything up on Monday? 

I went to bed on time last night, and did not wake up often last night... I just feel tired and like I need to take a break.

I'm not sure when I will get to take a break.

I am in the process of analyzing the best way to get my strength training in each day. Battling things like it's boring and I'm lazy. So just trying to mix it up so that I still see benefits but not get bored with it or not do it.

Today

Pool Ups -- assisted chin ups with the starting blocks at the pool. 

Pyramid - 1, 2, 3, 4, 4, 3, 2, 1

in between scull/drill 200 yards and kicks 200 yards

2 x 5 

in between lifeguard swim drill

200 Freestyle Swim

200 scull/drill with pool ups

200 side kick and dolphin kick with pool ups

100 1/2 lifeguard sprint, 1/2 free sprint

3 x 100 IM pace build rest 15s

3 x 100 IM pace build rest 10s

3 x 100 IM pace build rest 5s

400 Free recovery 

300 IM 

200 choice easy swim

Total 2500

I kept on interval paces for the IMs resting on 10 and 5 second periods, I kept missing the 15 second rest intervals by 3 seconds! So the goal now is to hit my intervals on the 15s rests.

That's a big swim after a big spill, hehe. Maybe if you know Tuesdays are meh, make them a planned rest day?

I have been trying to treat Tuesdays and Thursdays as recovery days where the aerobic/interval workout is much lighter than on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. I have been taking Saturdays and Sundays off from working out since we have been busy trying to clean up the house where my SO's mother lives. Since it is generally awful, I don't feel like doing much cleaning if I workout before going over there, and I don't feel like working out after a cleaning session either.

Hot water is no fun: 89*F (31.7*C)

100 Easy Free

200 Kick no backstroke

300- 4 x 75 Free Pull Drills

400- 4 x 100 IM R15

300- 6 x 50 Fly Fast R10 (was planning to do 10x50, then 5x100 mod-fast, but way too overheated)

400 Backstroke

300 IM Kick no Backstroke

200 Free/Breast/Free

100 Easy choice

Total 2300

Strength Training -- Sworkit: Yoga, pilates, arm strength, core strength, back strength

• Like 1

Yow, that water does sound hotter than would be pleasant for swimming. It all looks like you kicked its butt, though.

It's nice that you're helping your SO's mom out, even though it isn't pleasant. :)

600 -- 300 Swim, 200 kick, 100 pull choice

100 kick on side

2 x 100 free easy-mod build

4 x 100 IM descends

200 easy choice

3 x 100 IM descends

200 easy choice

2 x 100 IM descends

200 easy choice

100 IM all out

200 easy choice

100 IM kick

200 easy free

Total 3000

I definitely have triceps... ow

Surf and Turf!

200 easy Free swim

50 easy swim to and from block

30 second intervals

7 pool assisted chin ups on block

15 squats

12 sit ups

5 push ups 

18 reverse lunges

1 plank

200 Free drills

50 easy swim to and from block

8 pool assisted chin ups on block

15 squats

12 sit ups

8 push ups 

14 reverse lunges

1 plank

200 Free Kick

200 IM

8 x 50 Fly build R30

100 easy choice

6 x 50 back build R15

100 easy choice

4 x 50 breast build R15

100 easy choice

2 x 50 Free sprint R15 (00:00:45 consistency boo yah)

100 easy choice

Total 2300

Went to the doc earlier this week for yearly check ups, and while they missed the order to draw blood for the thyroid hormone test in the shuffle, I am so far only B-12 deficient. I shall partake of the nuclear orange sublingual for the next few days. Taking a shot of that stuff will wake you up if you are dragging in the afternoon (better than caffeine). My moments of weakness are increasing for the Mountain Dew (of course I like the worst of the sodas). I need to remember to take my cup and one of the limes in my refrigerator to school so that when I get tired of drinking water or need a caffeine boost, I can make lime water or French press coffee.

Now, off to figure out where to get mussels and some good recipes so I don't have to live off of supplements forever. Bivalves (shellfish) are number 1 for B-12 vitamin, but I hate oysters and scallops. Have not tried clams. I should try some of the gastropods too. Finding edible ones are tricky. Now if I can find octopus, yesh, I think I would love that. Bring forth the cephalopods and we shall feast!

>.>

<.<

So, I'm a nerd.

• Like 1

Sunday -- 20 minute strength workout + 5 minutes of stretching on either side

Monday -- Flexibility training 

Sun Salutation

Split Progression

Hand Stand Progression

Head Stand Progression

Sun Salutation

5 minutes of Stretching

Swim 

200 Free

100 Balance Drills

100 Free Kick

750 Free timed between 12 and 15 minutes

100 IM

3 x 200 IM 

250 Free Pull

Total 2100

How about salmon or shrimp for B-12?   

Your workouts sound killer!  Loved the surf and turf one.  

I eat salmon (when I find the sustainable kind on sale), but apparently this is not often enough for the B-12 requirement.  I thought about shrimp, but since they are currently out of season here, I'm not going for them. Once you know what a bottom trawl does to the seafloor, you get a little wary about how many mud bugs you consume due to constant habitat destruction. The farmed ones are overly medicated so I steer clearish of them too. (I am a force of change of but one individual).

I'm going to stop by the fish house this Friday as a detour from the home to school route and scope out the selection. I love seafood (except for the aforementioned oysters and scallops as well as most crustaceans), but my mate does not love the seafood, sadly. 

• Like 1

Tuesday:

I have discovered that 4 sets of circuit workout is about all that I will tolerate currently before I feel like I need to murder something, like my metronome.

30 second circuits

8 push ups (kinda real ones, working on getting down as far as I can)

15 - 16 squats

Planks -- actually feeling that today 

12 - 13 sit ups (kinda poor form ones, need to warm up better)

9 - 10 Reverse lunges

Tuesday Swim

1000 IM -- 400 Free, 300 Back, 200 Breast, 100 Fly

200 kick, 4 x 5 pool assisted pull ups (feeling that today)

1000 easy/fast increase -- 4 x 25, 4 x 50, 4 x 75, 4 x 100

200 easy choice

This morning:

Flexibility and Balance training -- handstands, I am not sure why, feel really good to my shoulders. Wreck havoc on my arms, but my shoulders feel all stretched and happy afterwards.

Did some light yoga and went through the progressions to do the splits and handstands.

About to head out for the swim.

• Like 1

Wednesday Swim!

250 easy choice

200 fly drill

4 x 100 IM easy

6 x 100 IM easy/mod/max

8 x 25 fly sprints

200 fly kick

250 easy choice

Total 2100

Thursday Thursday!

Strength Training -- 5 sets today... before wanting to destroy the metrinome

5 x 9 Kinda Pushups (I think I made it to 90* today on the elbows)

5 x 30 second Planks 

5 x 15 squats

5 x 12 Reverse Lunges (6 per leg)

5 x 13 Sit Ups (better form today!)

Swim

750 -- 5 x 125 -- 5 Pool assisted pull ups on the block -- + 25 yards

250 -- 11 x 25 underwater kicks -- aim for 25 yards, but mostly 15 - 19 yards, sculled remaining distance to wall

1000 -- IM -- 100 fly, 200 breast, 300 back, 400 free

200 pull/kick choice

Total 2200