Week 1 Wrap-Up

Report Card

Strength: 100%

Dexterity: 100%

Stamina: 100%

Constitution: 100%

Wisdom/Charisma: TBD

Lessons Learned

• “I’m sick and tired of always being sick and tired!†Exhaustion is something that I really need to start to take seriously, but the way I see it, I can either put up with it for just this one last week, or make adjustments so that the week isn’t nearly as horrible. Since this site is all about healthy living, I’m opting for the latter. While I enjoy having Sleep Cycle on while I sleep so I can look at the data later, having my phone next to my bed probably isn’t helping some of my sleep issues, so my rule for the week is to have it in the other room while I sleep. There might be other changes I make, but that’s the big one, I think, to attempt to have better quality sleep.

• I seem to operate best at ~1500 calories, which is a great improvement and I’m happy to hover around there as best as I can. As I start to lift more, I might have to bump up that number, but for now, my calorie range goal is sufficient as is.

• A good, long stretch -- even if I don’t do yoga -- seems to have helped my leg cramping situation a lot. I used to wake up in the morning, stretch in bed, and feel the onset of muscle spasms. That’s less of a problem these days. Stretching is my friend!

• 10am is the best time of day to go to the gym if I can. First thing in the morning and lunchtime and even late afternoon can be iffier, but luckily I can’t lift anything so heavy right now that I have to worry about fighting people for equipment.

• I also don’t need to wait around for challenges to make small or big changes to my lifestyle. I thought about having a finance quest for wisdom next challenge to recover from my move, but then I realized that I didn’t need to wait until November or after I move to recover; I can make the smart decisions now. So, $100 weekly allowance for things that aren’t necessities to start with my smarter money choices.

• I’m done with the scale. It’s getting packed into a box tonight and I probably won’t look at it again until the end of the challenge. I was doing an experiment with weighing myself every day but really, I don’t care about my weight anymore. I can run 8 miles. I’m lifting. I make overall healthy choices. The rest will fall into place on its own; I just need to listen to my body!

• TMI for TOM stuff:

Eating better and exercising has lessened my monthly cramps. My period started this weekend and… yeah, minimal cramping. Some nausea, but no fetal position necessary. It’s a start! I’m only worried that I was three days late when I’m usually super consistent (no more than a day late, and sometimes a day or two early) and I’m not sexually active, and I remember reading somewhere that if you’re not eating enough this can happen and be an early warning sign of other problems, but I’ll have to do that research again and double-check.

The Week Ahead

This is going to be the hardest week of the next 6 weeks. Luckily, this is the week of my off Friday (I do love the 9/80 schedule!), but my three day weekend is defined by my move. I’m truly hoping that my 9-mile run this weekend can be accomplished on Saturday rather than on Sunday since Sunday will be plenty busy between audition, moving, and rehearsal. Hopefully, I’ll have at least one night off from rehearsal, but I already know that that night won’t be tomorrow. If I can, I’ll see if I can work from home one of these days, too.

In the meantime, I have about an hour of packing left before I should try to get as much sleep as I can possibly manage.

Here’s to a great Week 2, guys! I’ll respond to people’s threads at some point tomorrow if I have any downtime; I’m just frantically trying to get as much packed as I can right now!

• Like 4
  • I’m done with the scale. It’s getting packed into a box tonight and I probably won’t look at it again until the end of the challenge. I was doing an experiment with weighing myself every day but really, I don’t care about my weight anymore. I can run 8 miles. I’m lifting. I make overall healthy choices. The rest will fall into place on its own; I just need to listen to my body!

I'm with you on this.  Last challenge I was going to way myself regularly to see the progress of weight-loss and determine if I needed to do more.  Well I wasn't losing any weight so that became a tad disheartening.  It wasn't until my girlfriend told me I was looking to be in much better shape did I truly realize that the number on the scales are only part of the story.

Also, great week 1!

Yay for you! It sounds like you are in a much better place physically and mentally.

You are going to OWN Week 2! Yes it will be hectic. But can run 8 miles! You can lift weights! You are a BOSS!

Get'em Girl!

happy-dance-.gif

I'm getting there, slowly! There's still always work to be done, but it's kind of weird looking back to even just a few months ago and seeing where I was then and where I am now wrt everything little thing. It's actually making me really nervous!

Thanks!! And ahahaha, I can lift weights but not very heavy weights... yet! We all have to start from somewhere, and I look forward to getting stronger!

Love that gif!!

some great lessons learned in week one and 100% across the board, like a boss!

Thank you!! Lessons learned is this habit I picked up after years of working on projects and this being one of the key things we need to do. It's actually a fantastic practice to evaluate where you went right and where you went wrong and to either keep up on or improve upon the things you did right, and try to fix the things you did wrong. :)

And yessss, 100% is my favorite thing to see. :D

I'm with you on this.  Last challenge I was going to way myself regularly to see the progress of weight-loss and determine if I needed to do more.  Well I wasn't losing any weight so that became a tad disheartening.  It wasn't until my girlfriend told me I was looking to be in much better shape did I truly realize that the number on the scales are only part of the story.

Also, great week 1!

The scale is a fickle, fickle thing and you're absolutely right, it only tells a part of the story and nowhere close to the full story, and frankly, there's a million things going on with your body as to why you might have gained or lost 2-3 pounds overnight, etc. One good thing the scale did for me though was finally convincing me that I should be eating more, because again, I got to the point where when I ate 1200-1300 calories I gained weight, and when I ate 1400-1600 calories I lost weight. It was an odd thing to notice, but hey, at least I don't have to send my body into starvation mode anymore to see the progress I want to see, and I'm a happier person for it, too!

Thanks!! :)

This is the perfect gif for such an awesome week!

Agreed!

You're doing awesome!

Are you counting moving days for lifting?  I feel like it's not unreasonable~  You're going to work hard and carry heavy things, after all!

And by the way, though I didn't mention it when I saw you yesterday, you're looking freaking fantastic. :love_heart:

I thought about it! I'll keep with the NROLFW program for now but I think that if I can't get to the gym because of my schedule this week (can't work from home at all this week, too many meetings, sob) then yes, moving boxes absolutely counts, especially since I'll be moving these things from a second floor apartment, across town, and then to a third floor apartment! ;;; (SO. MANY. STAIRS. in my immediate future!) This is also a big reason why I'm hoping to have my 9-mile run on Saturday instead of Sunday. Sunday is heavy furniture moving day. I want to be well-rested for it as best as I can and not having come off a 1.5 hour+ run prior to it!

:love_heart: Thank you!!!!!!  :love_heart: :love_heart: :love_heart:

Week 2, Day 1

Quest #1: Keep Up the Grey Warden Training!

Stamina: 0/3

Strength: 1/3

Went to the fitness center first thing in the morning since my favored time, I knew, was to be spent getting the keys to my new place. Went easy on the DB shoulder press but amped it up everywhere else -- and a surprising realization happened while I was doing my lunges (accidentally 5 lbs heavier in each hand than last time I did them): I like my legs. My legs are kind of sexy. Considering that for all of my life until that moment my legs were my least favorite part of my body, this is a major victory!

Quest #2: Avoid Injury!

Dexterity: 1/6

Finished off my training session with some yoga poses and regular stretch routine. This is quickly becoming my new favorite way to cooldown!

Quest #3: Fuel Up!

Constitution: 1/6

Calories: 1,596 (gross)

Carbs: 182g (45%)

Protein: 87g (22%)

Fat: 59g (33%)

I started the day worrying about reaching my minimum of 1400 and ended the day bordering close to my max of 1600. This is a better place to be in than I have been. I don’t like being in this position, but I think I’d rather this than, “Oh crap I’m undereating I need to eat something, anything, now!â€

Life Quest: Completely Move In!

Got the keys to the new place today! Moved some boxes and I’m moving even more during the interim between meetings and doing my checklist of things that might be wrong with the apartment if I can. If not, I’ll try to swoop in before rehearsal. This is the week where I think that despite all my efforts, I’ll be taking personal time off from work, sigh. I was hoping to avoid it, but it’s only Monday and I’m already beginning to feel stretched too thin… ;;;

---

Scouts Mini Challenge #1: Going to do as soon as I toss this up! Yes, yes, I know the mini is done, but that doesn’t mean I plan on stopping what I was doing! (1/7)

Scouts Mini Challenge #2: Hulk evaluation completed on the mini thread. Key here is: I can’t control the actions of other drivers on the road. I can control how I react to them. I will be endeavoring to be more zen about it and finding ways to do so.

Cutlasses Mini Challenge #2: Not up yet!

• Like 4

and a surprising realization happened while I was doing my lunges (accidentally 5 lbs heavier in each hand than last time I did them): I like my legs. My legs are kind of sexy. Considering that for all of my life until that moment my legs were my least favorite part of my body, this is a major victory!

OMG, I had exactly the same realization in the gym last Saturday! I've always hated my legs, I call them my sausages. I normally wear baggy 3/4 length sweatpants to the gym but had to wear running tights at the weekend. I stood in front of the mirror to do some bicep curls and couldn't stop staring at my legs! I stood there for ages staring at them thinking "well hello sexy!"

It's the best feeling ever isn't it!

Congrats on a great start to week 2, hope the move goes well.

• Like 1

and a surprising realization happened while I was doing my lunges (accidentally 5 lbs heavier in each hand than last time I did them): I like my legs. My legs are kind of sexy. Considering that for all of my life until that moment my legs were my least favorite part of my body, this is a major victory!

Big congrats!!! I like it when you can look at yourself, see the changes all the positive habits are making, and like what you see.  That is the best gauge of progress.  

• Like 1

OMG, I had exactly the same realization in the gym last Saturday! I've always hated my legs, I call them my sausages. I normally wear baggy 3/4 length sweatpants to the gym but had to wear running tights at the weekend. I stood in front of the mirror to do some bicep curls and couldn't stop staring at my legs! I stood there for ages staring at them thinking "well hello sexy!"

It's the best feeling ever isn't it!

Congrats on a great start to week 2, hope the move goes well.

It really is! I used to call my leg "tree trunks" myself, but yesterday I was just grinning as I could see these legs as the type to be on TV without a problem. Still photoshopped if ever on a magazine cover, but no one is safe from Photoshop if they're going to be on a magazine cover and I'm taking to Tina Fey's stance on it these days. :lol: But these legs on TV? Why not? :D

Thanks!! I hope it does, too. Though right now I'm more concerned with my levels of exhaustion than anything else and I have no idea how to make myself less so, sigh...

Big congrats!!! I like it when you can look at yourself, see the changes all the positive habits are making, and like what you see.  That is the best gauge of progress.  

Thanks!! I think it's the ultimate goal, being able to look at yourself in the mirror and no matter what you look like, being happy with what's reflected back at you. :)

Quick update before bed; I'll respond to people tomorrow! :love_heart:

Week 2, Day 2

Stamina: 1/3

Strength: 1/3

5.0 mile run this morning. It was slower than I would’ve liked, but there you have it. I wonder if it’s because I wasn’t properly energized? Usually on my drive in I finish up an entire thing of mocha or chai latte (Keurigs are awesomeeeeee) but I was out of those so I tried some of the actual coffee and just reminded myself that #nope, cannot do most coffees unless I add cream, sugar, chocolate, etc, sigh. Needless to say, I didn’t drink a lot. I was also falling asleep a lot in meetings today and nearly pooped out during rehearsal tonight. Man, am I becoming one of those people dependent on caffeine? I don't want this. :(

I cannot move to my new apartment quickly enough. ;^;

Dexterity: 2/6

Because of my slower pace, among other things, I didn’t have time to do my dexterity work immediately after my run, but I made sure to do it during my downtime at rehearsal tonight. I also learned some sexy stripper techniques to help with the vixen role. Turns out, our director used to choreograph drag shows, which is amazing. So definitely accomplished today!

Constitution: 2/6

Calories: 1,527 (gross)

Carbs: 162g (43%)

Protein: 99g (26%)

Fat: 52g (31%)

Not too bad a day. I decided to do a bit of research into how many calories I ought to be eating and just how okay it is to be eating back exercise calories and, well, hm, I might still be eating too little even with all of this? At the very least, I am eating more than my BMR for sure. 1400 calories minimum makes sure of that (depending on the calculator, my BMR ranges from the low 1200s to the mid 1300s). So I’m good on that end. It’s just my upper limits I’m still not sure about, and of course, everyone has something different to say about it, sigh. I'm told anywhere from 1500 to 2100 calories, and anything from EAT BACK NONE OF YOUR EXERCISE CALORIES and EAT BACK MOST OF YOUR EXERCISE CALORIES. ;;;;; 

Moved some more stuff into my new apartment and did my move-in inspection. I’m swamped at work tomorrow so I doubt I’ll get the chance to move more stuff in and I won’t even pack up my car to try, but if I do get a free moment the leasing office forgot to ask for my cat’s vet charts and I want to take pictures of the big problem spots I noted in the move-in inspection form for prosperity’s sake (and I need to dig out the pictures from my current apartment just in case they try to nickel and dime me for things I already reported), so I’ll try to do that.

---

Scouts Mini Challenge #1: Accomplished! (2/7)

Scouts Mini Challenge #2: Made a note of the one thing that actually irritated/angered me today, and I’m proud of myself for not giving into the anger but not ignoring it or shrugging it off either. I’ll probably babble about it in the mini-challenge thread tomorrow.

• Like 2

Just caught up on your posts for the last few days.  It sounds like things are going pretty well for the move. Getting the keys to a new place is a great feeling. :) I hope you'll be able to get everything moved in with no difficulties.

I'm loving reading your posts about the zombies run app.  I admit I look at the spoilers, even though I want to get the ap and give it a try. I'm sure I'll have forgotten them by the time I make it to season two. :lol:

Doing really great so far.  Hope the 9 mile run is as successful as the 8 was :)

And for sleep, it is amazing to me how much sleep can effect how I do for the day.  It is so much harder trying to get things done when I am tired.

Thank you!! I'm refusing any social obligations on Friday night that might force me to stay out too late so that I can get it done on Saturday morning since Sunday is so busy -- the only social things I'll do are the ones that guarantee me in bed around 10-11pm! (Oh, the woes of being a long-distance runner!)

Luckily, I still have some of the mental/physical stamina remaining from college where I don't need a lot of sleep to be as functional as I need to be. That said, I can't marathon it like I used to; in college, I could go a full semester with very little sleep and get through everything I need to with not a lot of zombifying. Now, I can get through half the week before I start pooping out, and even a weekend to recover is barely enough, as yesterday proved to me. I suspect that if it wasn't for my keeping my cell phone out of the bed, I'd be in worse condition, because at the very least, I'm actually sleeping through the night instead of waking up once or twice! 

I swear, you completely rock!!

*blush* Thank youuuu!! B)

Slower runs seem to happen.  It sounds like your energy levels were pretty low.  My only source of caffeine use to be sodas.  So when I gave those up, I gave up caffeine too ;)

Usually I can suffice with the caffeine from my tea, but it's not enough to keep me awake on my drives into work so I need the stronger punch that coffee gives. Just one more day of commuting for an hour one way, then I can ween myself off my morning coffee since I can sleep a little bit longer soon! Oh, 12 minute drive into work, I look forward to youuuuuuu.

Giving up soda is a glorious thing. I still drink it from time to time, but it averages to at most about once a month these days. I gave it up in high school, enjoyed how much better I felt not drinking 2-3 cans a day, and then college happened and if I didn't have the money for a run to Starbucks, it was to the vending machine to get soda to keep me awake. So happy I don't drink it anymore. I feel a lot better and my runs are a lot easier for it!

Mmmmmmmmmm chai latte's are the best!  And have you tried the Cafe Caramel coffee in the Keurig?  That might be a way to ease into actual coffee

Also, slow or not, good job on legging out 5 miles

I haven't yet! I might give it a shot at some point. I found the Caramel Macchiato for the Keurig I'd stashed away a few months back and have enough to let me finish up the week, so that let me survive my drive in if barely. ;;;; 

And thank you. :)

Just caught up on your posts for the last few days.  It sounds like things are going pretty well for the move. Getting the keys to a new place is a great feeling. :) I hope you'll be able to get everything moved in with no difficulties.

I'm loving reading your posts about the zombies run app.  I admit I look at the spoilers, even though I want to get the ap and give it a try. I'm sure I'll have forgotten them by the time I make it to season two. :lol:

I'm so excited, and I'm so happy that I moved my big move date from next weekend to this weekend even if I'm scrambling to get everything packed up before then. ;;; At least I'll have two weekends to clean my old place instead of just one! Every time I leave the new apartment, I'm sad that I don't get to go back for at least 24 hours (and this time it'll be 48 hours because work is so busy today -- what free time during the day I can find will be spent at the gym instead!). And thanks!!

:lol: Yay, I'm glad someone's reading them! I didn't babble about the ZR! episode I ran to yesterday morning because there wasn't much for me to say other than, "Oh, Archie... ;;;;;;;" and I was also super tired and just needed to hit the sack. But yay, I hope you get the app soon! I'll admit that it took me a handful of missions to really get into it, but now I'm addicted to the story and especially the characters and it's one of the big reasons why I look forward to my runs. ^_^

• Like 1

Very quick update before I bed. Sometimes I have to wonder why I often take on more than I can handle...

Week 2, Day 3

Stamina: 1/3

Strength: 2/3

Details in my battle log/in my gdocs logs, but generally upped the weights all around.

Tomorrow is supposed to be another 5-mile run but… I honestly don’t know, given how exhausted and stressed I am, how well that will happen. I’ll do my best and if I have to cut it short I will, but damn, I want my hour back so badly. Just one more day. One more day of this insane and chaotic schedule and my life will be infinitely easier...

Dexterity: 3/6

Standard stretches and yoga things.

Constitution: 3/6

Calories: 1,409 (gross)

Carbs: 138g (39%)

Protein: 91g (26%)

Fat: 55g (35%)

I still have to wonder if I’m eating enough. I’m above my BMR, which is great, but am I still undereating? That 1409 does not bode well for my probably 5 mile run tomorrow...

Didn’t do a thing for this. Hopefully I can tomorrow. I’ll be optimistic and load some things up into my car in the morning, but it’ll probably be nothing more than my holiday decoration boxes. At least it’s something, though.

---

Scouts Mini Challenge #1: Nope, this isn't happening tonight. Bed is beckoning me and I know the instant I flop down I'm going to be out for the night. (2/7)

Scouts Mini Challenge #2: Nothing really made my angry or irritated, but I did get stressed out more than a few times. I’m really stretched thin right now, you guys. This exhaustion is stupid. One day more...

---

(I whine about how exhausted I am, but I am still very happy. I love my job, I love that I'm performing, and I love how I feel with my workouts and my training towards the half marathon, I just hate my commute and I blame it completely for my low energy levels this week. At least tomorrow's rehearsal is a blood rehearsal and not another run-through, oh man...)

• Like 1