• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Tateman

Tateman’s 10th: Running my way into the Scouts!

Love spaghetti squash.   mmmmm  Sounds like you are doing very good with getting out of self sabotage land.  Isn't funny how irksome it can be when you eat something and know it will negatively impact your run or how you feel during the run and then you strive to eat better because you want to run?  LOL  Still makes me laugh at home when I look at something and then consider when my next run is and if/how it may impeded it or help it.  More often than not that helps make a better choice.

Update: I only got to 3 sets on each day I did the workout, so you've already beat me. Good game. :)

Do you realize that on your last interval, your pace was in the 5 min/mile range? That is amazing!!!! There is some untapped potential here. Keep it up.

Oh man, I really need to get on here more to update.  Sometimes I get like this.  

Your running is going brilliantly! It's great to see you pushing yourself even when you don't feel like doing it at all... That's something I need to get better at!

Thanks.  Even though I haven't hit everything as much as I would like this challenge so far, it has felt really successful for me.  For once in a long time, I don't even feel like I am having that 3rd week slump coming on ;)

Love spaghetti squash.   mmmmm  Sounds like you are doing very good with getting out of self sabotage land.  Isn't funny how irksome it can be when you eat something and know it will negatively impact your run or how you feel during the run and then you strive to eat better because you want to run?  LOL  Still makes me laugh at home when I look at something and then consider when my next run is and if/how it may impeded it or help it.  More often than not that helps make a better choice.

Yeah, I have ran a couple times after poorly eating, and I do not like it.  I tell myself "Why can't my brain remember this feeling and associate it with the poor eating I was doing?" :)

Sounds like you're well on your way out of self sabotage land already, keep up the good work ;)

Not completely out of the woods yet, but I am crawling back up out of the hole ;)

Yeah, don't beat yourself up about that poor eating, we all have little lapses of judgement sometimes ;). Just keep up the good work with your running!

Yeah, I am trying not to really stress too hard about it all, and just keep moving forward.  I have been really thinking a lot about the food I have been eating.  Things I might work on next challenge.  

Update: I only got to 3 sets on each day I did the workout, so you've already beat me. Good game. :)

Do you realize that on your last interval, your pace was in the 5 min/mile range? That is amazing!!!! There is some untapped potential here. Keep it up.

Excellent ;)  I did get in 5 set last night.  I did it while making my spaghetti sauce, haha.  Do a set, get things out in the kitchen.  Do a set, then cut up some things, etc.  I didn't actually start cooking till I was done with the exercising.

And yup, I did see that time get up there.  Even if ever so briefly.  I have noticed on a few fartleks runs I can et up there quick.  That last one was all out mode, even when I didn't feel like running that night.

I'll get in an official week summary tomorrow morning.

So far this week, I did skip one run.  I was suppose to do a distance run on Friday.  My ankle was acting up a bit all day.  I actually think I could have ran, but I figured I would just not run.  That way I could be more focused to run the 5k today.

Picked up a stroller off of craigslist on Friday.  Took the kid out for a spin in it

15187151807_d0f0ff29db_z.jpgOff to test the new stroller :) by Will Tate, on Flickr

No running, just walking.  Thing pulls to the left, so I might need to check the wheel alignment on the front.  Still, way better then dealing with the old stroller that was too small for him ;)

I did my 5 sets on the Full Metal workout on Saturday night.  

Tonight I just got back from running my 5k for my first "Evaluation Day".  Technically it is my longest run, since the Sharks 5k I did was 3.02 miles.

[iframe width=465 height=548 frameborder=0 src=http://connect.garmin.com:80/activity/embed/601461730][/iframe]

The Sharks 5k (3.02 miles) I did in 37:02

Tonights 5k (3.10 miles) I did in 36:12.  

So yay, improvement ;)  Originally, I was going to run my 5k on a track.  I just didn't get it done, so I took to the neighborhood tonight to get it done.

Now I need to figure out what workout to follow this next week.

• Like 3

Your 5k time has improved so much! that's awesome, congratulations! :)

Thanks :)  I was pretty happy to see improvement too.  Hopefully, each 5k I run this challenge will be better then the last.

That's an amazing improvement on your 5K time! Congrats!! B)

I was quite please to not only see that it was faster then my Sharks 5k i ran, but I also actually went the 5k in distance.

Awesome progress!!! You keep going Onward and Upward!!!

tumblr_miobpvc6ol1raubqmo8_500.gif

Thanks!  I had actually thought about doing a challenge based around flash.  Maybe when I am quicker ;)

Week 2 Summary:

The week was a bit up and down after my Reno Trip.  Weight had spiked, and my eating habits were not the greatest.  I noticed I had a few days of having massive amounts of sodium days, and a few over calorie days as well.  Eventually started the turn around though.  Last Monday, I had gotten up to 265lbs.  Before the Reno trip I was about 260.  This Monday I am down to 258.  So it looks like things are back on track :)

Goal #1:  Get Faster!

So far so good here ;)  Ran my "Evaluation Day 5K" last night, and I was indeed faster!  36:12 is my new official time to beat.   I did miss my one distance run day, but completed two fartlek runs.  Walking I think i missed one, but actually was out doing things.  So I will give myself a 6/7 points this week.  

Goal #2:  Get Stronger - Workout time!

Did really good here even with doing the workouts late in the evening.  @Primeval was also doing the Full metal workout this week as well.  Tuesday I did 3 sets.  Thursday I did 4 sets, and Saturday I finished off with 5 sets done.  So for sure a 3/3 points this week

Goal #3:  Get Healthier - Food and Exercise Tracking

I was 7/7 here.  One good thing with the tracking, is that i get to see the good and the bad of what I actually eat.  It's not just assuming I am eating ok.  With how I ate the last week, I am already coming up with ideas for next challenge.  I feel like I have the tracking pretty much down.  Next I need to improve the foods I eat.

Goal #4:  Compete in all the side challenges

This week was about anger.  I did participate this week, but it was mostly focused on controlling any anger I might get while driving and such.  Even when bowling ;)  No grading in this, so a pass.

Goal #5:  Finish the edx.org Introduction to Linux course!

Pretty much a fail on this.  Good thing I am not grading myself each week ;)  I did think a few times of getting some done, but most times I was tired.  I knew it would be a struggle to try to get through stuff if I was tired.  I will be getting to some of it this week.

So 16/17 points this week giving me a 94% A :D

Something for me to workout on this week, is making sure I hit the forums here more often.

• Like 2

Yeah, I have ran a couple times after poorly eating, and I do not like it.  I tell myself "Why can't my brain remember this feeling and associate it with the poor eating I was doing?" :)

For me, I've been able to stay on track long enough that I feel gross immediately afterwards so it's a much more obvious deterrent.  Our brains are stupid and don't want to associate the bad food with the bad feeling.

For me, I've been able to stay on track long enough that I feel gross immediately afterwards so it's a much more obvious deterrent.  Our brains are stupid and don't want to associate the bad food with the bad feeling.

agreed

Thanks :)  I was pretty happy to see improvement too.  Hopefully, each 5k I run this challenge will be better then the last.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you  :playful:  (not really, they'd cramp up like that eventually)

Week 2 looks really strong! Good luck for week 3

Awesome job on the goals, Reno is always a fun social event for you at east you are staying conscious of your choice s with tracking. Good luck with week 3

Thanks.  Overall I wasn't too upset over the Reno trip.  I was more upset with how bad I was eating once I got home. ;)

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you  :playful:  (not really, they'd cramp up like that eventually)

Week 2 looks really strong! Good luck for week 3

haha thanks.  Starting off week 3 bumpy, but I will reel it back in.

Awesome job with week 2! And great work on the improvement regarding your running! Best wishes for next week, then.

Thanks.  It makes me really happy to see improvements there.  

So yesterday I skipped my workout :(  I can do it today i suppose.  Though tomorrow morning I want to try to wake up early and go to the gym.  Maybe actually lift weights there ;)

• Like 1

Lifting weights at the gym?! What is this madness??

I know right?

Ok, so today was a pretty decent day.  Got in my fartlek run, and pretty happy with it, especially considering I ran my 5k on Sunday.  I was worried I would be sore and/or slow.

15221563749_6f0b5a8aab_c.jpgfartlek093014 by Will Tate, on Flickr

Getting in my steps where I want them to be as well.  So far, it looks like everything is on target.

So it turns out I won't be going to the gym in the morning with my wife.  I forgot that I need to go get bloodwork done in the morning instead, yay!  I have my Doctors appointment on Friday as well.  But, I decided that I will still go to the gym.  It will just be later tomorrow night.

I decided to try to go o the gym because of the scout mini this week.  I know that I can actually lift weights.  This is more about me going there and not giving in to just walk on the treadmill because people are around the free weight section.  Maybe, just maybe I can do well enough that I will go back for a second time this week ;)

So what is everyone's thoughts about me trying to makeup my missed workout from Monday?  

So either I do the workout tomorrow, then go to the gym that night for workout #2, or maybe Friday I get in two workouts.  I could even try do do the workouts on back to back days, but I know that is usually not a good idea.  I just want to get in the 3 workouts this week, and still have my rest day on Sunday. :)

Personally I would prefer doing the workouts on back to back days rather than twice on the same day, that way you at least give your body an overnight rest. But up to you, hope whatever you do you don't knacker yourself out too much :)

If you're going to go back to back with runs to get in some weights, looking at what you've got planned, I'd do one as an 'easy' run where you aren't pushing distance or speed. E.g. a 2 mile run in maybe a little over 25 minutes for you. Since you've got a lot of Fartlek's planned, if it would be a Fartlek and distance back to back I'd do easy + distance.

I'm assuming that you're workouts are different exercises? If so, back-to-back isn't horrible. If you're working the same muscles, two workouts in one day and back-to-back are probably just as bad, but back-to-back might be slightly better.

Personally I would prefer doing the workouts on back to back days rather than twice on the same day, that way you at least give your body an overnight rest. But up to you, hope whatever you do you don't knacker yourself out too much :)

If you're going to go back to back with runs to get in some weights, looking at what you've got planned, I'd do one as an 'easy' run where you aren't pushing distance or speed. E.g. a 2 mile run in maybe a little over 25 minutes for you. Since you've got a lot of Fartlek's planned, if it would be a Fartlek and distance back to back I'd do easy + distance.

I'm assuming that you're workouts are different exercises? If so, back-to-back isn't horrible. If you're working the same muscles, two workouts in one day and back-to-back are probably just as bad, but back-to-back might be slightly better.

Well, the plan was to hit up the gym tonight and do some kind of weights.  The body weight workouts I was planning to do this week is the Highlander workout

So something like this:

Tonight:  Gym - lift weights (hopefully, squats, or bench press, dumbells etc)

Thursday:  BW workout 3 sets (in the morning) + bowling + 20 min Fartlek run at night.

Friday:  Maybe gym again if I find tonight is fun, or 3 sets of the BW workout sometime during the day (doctor appointment int he morning)

Saturday:  Distance run 3.25 miles

Sunday is rest day

Of course, I am also walking each day as well to make sure I get over 8k steps each day this week. 

The other option is to not do the BW workout on Thursday, and instead do a 3 set spot sometime on Friday.  Or even gym and a BW workout as well.

I'll figure it out too I am sure.  if I wind up not getting the BW workout in, it's not the end of the world.

In other news, I am frustrated with my Doctor today.  So It is bloodwork day.  I go to the lab, and they have no bloodwork orders for me.  /sigh  So I have to contact my doctor again to see if she will submit the orders.  It was probably a month or even two months that I asked about it, and she said to get them a couple of days before my appointment. 

So I set an appointment for the lab tomorrow morning.  I can just go in and skip the line.  I just have to talk to my doctor.  So I sent her an email, and get a reply back that she is out of office all day today.  

So now I don't even know if I will be able to get bloodwork done in time for the appointment.  This is the second time I have gone to get lab work, and she didn't order any.  So everything is up in the air.  I guess I'll be fasting just in case. :)

• Like 1