LadyShello climbs aboard from nowhere and calls to the Captiain. 

"Ahoy Cap'n.  I'm afraid I'm havin to bow out of this merry group o pirates as I seem to be quite over-extended.  I think ye a great group o pirates and I hope to run into you on future adventures.  For yer troubles I offer me share o rum." 

And with that, LadyShello bows to the crew and grabs a line from the sails, swings her cutlass, and swings to the starboard side of the ship jumping to the sea.  As the crew looks over LadyShello is nowhere to be seen. 

• Like 4

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero

Level: 19 Ranger | STR 36 | DEX 29 | STA  35 | CON  43 | WIS 35 | CHA 23|

Spoiler

Epic Quest Avatar Lifting profile | D&D Character Sheet

Accountibillibuddies: Doodlies setting the world alight

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020 | 2021

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Current Challenge: Shello Finally Fitnesses (sort of) and does some other things

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Starting weight = 290.4; Current weight = 269; Total pounds lost: 21.4

Understood that ye needs teh take some time away teh tend teh yer own challenge business, Lady Shello. (Aye, n' ye has just the flair fer the dramatic that we CutLasses admire!) Good luck on yer challenge n' we hope teh see ye back next time, if not sooner!

This be a good time teh remind all o' ye Lasses n' Apprentices that yer own challenge comes first, then the other groups after that. Scale yer participation as ye needs to, n' keep the lines o' communication open.

Let's be good mates n' continue teh support LadyShello in 'er challenge (ye can leave some o' yer plunder on her thread, too, ye know) n' let's get teh encouragin' us some Level One lads n' lasses teh keep their spirits up as they enter into the weekend afore the two slog weeks o' three n' four! Remember, that while our main focus be Level Ones, if'n ye see others that need our special brand o' CutLass encouragement, ye ain't limited teh only giftin' Level Ones. :pirate:

• Like 3

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

After a rough week on the seas Ana finally managed to pull herself together. Jazzy had invited her to join the new ship, The Drunken Barmaid.  It had been a tough decision, but she had decided to part ways with the Queen o' Sword.  She had learnt a great deal in her travels, and knew that the next big adventure always relied on trying something new.  She scratched Noodle's ear's one last time, then checked around the cabin for the last of her belongings.  She tossed he bag over her shoulder and headed up to the deck. She swung over to the Barmaid and greeted the rest of the crew.  It wasn't until much later that she discovered Noodle had crawled into her bag for a nap while her back was turned and joined her on the Barmaid. 

• Like 2

Current Challenge: Late start, but here at last.

Level 6 Magikarp

Past Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5

My NF Character and Epic Quest!

"All right, lasses, settle down!"  It felt a bit strange if Maaya thought about it to be standing here, commanding attention and getting it.  How far she'd come from awkward deck swabbing!  She felt some trepidation, sure enough, but there was a fair amount of excitement, too.  Behind her, her own ship, and ahead...

Open water, treasure, and adventure.  It was time to chase the horizon, and this time, she'd be at the helm.

"All good picks, Jazzy," she said, grinning across at the other pirate.  They'd been apprentices together, and look at them now!  "I got a few meself, so don't be departin' to yer duties just yet.  Been a hard choice, like Jazzy said - all o' ye lasses would be me pleasure teh sail with.  Still, I've selected a few of ye teh join me on the Sea Witch.  First, blkhole24601, come on up here."  As she approached, Maaya said, "I figure I be needin' a reliable sailin' master and navigator.  Ye've got a way with the stars, so I'm thinkin' ye'll do me proud."

By the beaming grin on the other cutlass' face, it did seem as though the position had been chosen well.

"All right, next, BlimeyCharlie, I'm invitin' ye aboard as me boatswain, if ye'll have us."

With a smile to match the captain's, the seawoman replied, "Cap'n 'twould be a pleasure t' join yer crew on th' Sea Witch. Jus' one riddle. Will thar be rum?"

Everyone laughed, but Maaya had her answer ready: "Thar always be rum, BlimeyCharlie.  We be poor excuses fer pirates otherwise, wouldn't ye say?  Come on up here."

As the newly minted boatswain came forward to join the crew, Maaya looked over those remaining in the crowd and said, "All right, I can see ye all but quiverin' with excitement, reminds me of me own early days on this fine crew... Amdhiel, if'n ye wants teh continue yer apprenticeship aboard the Sea Witch, I'd say I have some work for ye - and if ye work hard, no reason ye can't be promoted soon enough.  Fer now, I'll be assignin' ye as me lookout - assumin' ye'd like teh come aboard, that is."

"Not join you?!? How could I not accept?"  Another positive answer - and it seemed as though this crew would be a merry one with this addition.

"All right, get on up here too.  And finally..."  She looked around the remaining cutlasses, a slight look of concern replacing her cheery demeanor.  "Seems like me last pick be off somewhere and missin' all the fun.  Well, we'll get along fer now - and if she drags her feet, well, not our problem if all her welcome aboard rum's been drunk by someone else, savvy?"  She winked, the concern vanishing.  Her final crew member would be along soon enough.  "All right, lasses, we got the night teh celebrate, but the harder ye celebrate, the harder the work tomorrow will be, so keep in mind I don't take the aftereffects rum as an excuse - we'll be sailin' out on schedule.  Onward to adventure!"

image_t6.jpg

The Sea Witch

Captain:

starsapart

Able Seawomen:

blkhole24601

BlimeyCharlie

tundralily

Apprentice Seawomen:

Amdhiel

In other words, I still be waitin' on me last crew member, but we're ready teh set sail!

• Like 5

🎪current challenge🎪

challenge archive: 19181716 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

instagram | goodreads

"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." - Voltaire

Question for ye experienced weight lifters, any suggestions on a good program to start free weights with? I'm doing a bodyweight workout right now, but have access to a great gym at the new workplace. The membership be super affordable and next door to work! I've lifted before when I was training as a competivie ski racer several years agi but haven't for ages and am not sure where to start. Ideas? 

Barbell work is always fun. Either Starting Strength (most of the info is free online, so you don't have to purchase the book unless you just really want it for posterity). You need to make sure your form is all good, though, because unlike bodyweight you're doing load-bearing exercises which has the capacity to cause more injury if you do it wrong. 

Otherwise, I'm in love with dumbbells. With barbell work you're usually doing compound exercises so you do 3 non-consecutive days/week but if you have more time you can do dumbbell exercises and focus on rotating through muscle groups each day (back and biceps as Monday, Chest and triceps as Tuesday, legs as Wednesday, core as Thursday, and so on...). It depends on how you want to go about it. Barbell is great for body recomp, but rotating through muscle groups is fantastic for emphasis on one or more muscles you would like to work on.

Let me know if you have questions! All recommendations depend on your specific goals. I LOVE free weights (stay away from machines unless you have an injury that would prevent you from engaging certain muscles...machines don't work stabilizer muscles, so you might get really rockin biceps or shoulders or hamstrings, but you wouldn't be able to do much with them). Above all, as you might know with bodyweight workouts, definitely be patient about progress.

• Like 2

Fetchling Warrior, Level 2

str-9 dex-2 sta-3 con-4 wis-3 cha-3

Battle log!

Fitocracy!

555LB CLUB @ UNIVERSITY:

75%
75%

50 Push-ups at Once:

50%
50%

“Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?â€

“For a moment, nothing happened. Then, after a second or so, nothing continued to happen.â€

― The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hi sorry! Grad school started and homework caught up to me. Didn't have much extra time for surfing forums for noobs. Here now, though, so if we have any workout-related challenges I'm all ears!

• Like 2

Battle log!

Fitocracy!

555LB CLUB @ UNIVERSITY:

75%
75%

50 Push-ups at Once:

50%
50%

“For a moment, nothing happened. Then, after a second or so, nothing continued to happen.â€

After a rough week on the seas Ana finally managed to pull herself together. Jazzy had invited her to join the new ship, The Drunken Barmaid.  It had been a tough decision, but she had decided to part ways with the Queen o' Sword.  She had learnt a great deal in her travels, and knew that the next big adventure always relied on trying something new.  She scratched Noodle's ear's one last time, then checked around the cabin for the last of her belongings.  She tossed he bag over her shoulder and headed up to the deck. She swung over to the Barmaid and greeted the rest of the crew.  It wasn't until much later that she discovered Noodle had crawled into her bag for a nap while her back was turned and joined her on the Barmaid. 

Aye, trying something new be the pirate way, as Noodle well knows! So, The Drunken Bar Maid has a ship's cat from the very start - be good luck, that!

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

Hi sorry! Grad school started and homework caught up to me. Didn't have much extra time for surfing forums for noobs. Here now, though, so if we have any workout-related challenges I'm all ears!

No problem, fer we've got plenty o' newbs on the spreadsheet, n' ye can distribute a bit o' treasure here n' there without too big an investment o' time.

I be a-considerin' whether teh have much in the way o' fitness minis. Thar's been some discussion about all that amongst ambassadors n' guild leaders, n' I'm still tryin' teh figure how teh do it with our mix o' CutLasses n' Apprentices. I will think on it some more n' them let all o' ye have some input on that early in Week Three.

• Like 1

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Well done, Captains! We still have a little bit o' time teh finish makin' ready teh sail. Hopefully we'll have the last crew member fer the Sea Witch sorted by the end o' the weekend!

In the meantime, get teh distributin' treasure teh Level Ones, or whoever else ye might find that needs it. We got adventures teh set out on at the start o' Week Three!

• Like 2

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Burpees.  There's always room for burpees.   :pirate:

Some sort of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Walk to Mordor Spreadsheet

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43

"No, I'm from Iowa.  I only work in outer space." -- James T. Kirk

Burpees.  There's always room for burpees.   :pirate:

You shut your mouth. You shut it right now!

*throws barbell at*

Battle log!

Fitocracy!

555LB CLUB @ UNIVERSITY:

75%
75%

50 Push-ups at Once:

50%
50%

I only started joining nerdfitness challenges for the fitness minis. If there are no fitness minis, I may as well not be here... >.>

Battle log!

Fitocracy!

555LB CLUB @ UNIVERSITY:

75%
75%

50 Push-ups at Once:

50%
50%

Thar be some concern amongst some o' the guild leadership n' ambassadors that the Level Ones be gettin' a little overloaded with minis n' such. An' since we have both experienced rebels n' new lasses, I been a-mullin' over various options...

I think this is a good time teh open it up teh discussion o' what ye all wants the group teh be n' teh throw yer ideas fer minis out onteh the table whar we can discuss an' vote on 'em. We bein' pirates an' free teh make our own choices, an' with a wee bit o' defiance o' authority as well, perhaps we can come teh an agreement amongst ourselves.

I will post me own ideas below so as teh let them sink or swim with the rest o' the suggestions. I will tally the likes fer each idea Wednesday morning Pacific Daylight Time (West Coast USA) n' select from the favorites. Ye can votes fer as many as ye like, as we will still have three more minis this challenge. That'll give us time teh finish up the current one n' all have a chance teh weigh in on the course we will set fer the next ones...

That seem fair teh all o' ye?

• Like 1

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Here be my overall idea:

I propose that we have an ongoing "encouragin' mini" o' conductin' boardin' parties n' distributin' treasure fer any CutLass or Apprentice that wants teh participate in that. It would also serve as an option teh any Lass old or new as feels overwhelmed by additional physical workouts beyond their challenges' etc.

The physical minis would also be optional--but we will have 'em fer those that wants them--whether that be an experienced 'Lass or an Apprentice. I will trust any Level Ones that choose to participate teh have the good sense teh know their limits n' likewise the captain n' crew mates on whichever ship they be aboard teh keep an eye on 'em!

Those doin' physical minis may choose to concurrently participate in the ongoin' encouragement mission, or not, as they sees fit. Thar be room aboard fer all types o' piratin'!

• Like 1

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

A specific idea fer a physical mini, in the style of a PVP.

Any lass may challenge another lass teh a friendly "duel" in which the players agree teh compete on reps or minutes of a particular exercise or other fitness related challenge. Duration of the duel an' any handicaps fer fitness level, etc., would be agreed upon jointly.

Other lasses may choose teh compete as well, as individuals, or shipmates and friends can lend their support by adding in their reps o' the same exercise. Betting yer rations o' rum not only be acceptable, but encouraged! Let's make a contest o' it!

This captain would gladly contribute an extra ration o' rum teh the lass with the best in-character postings, whether she be the winner or the loser o' the contest, just fer the fun o' readin' it!

• Like 3

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Hmmm. That last post be givin' me another idea... We needs somethin' teh bet with an' a way the keep points. Maybe a little roleplayin' n' some sort o' virtual treasure? Points fer posts an' exercises, bets n' assists?

Do ye think that would be fun? Too much teh do? Motivatin' or not?

• Like 3

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

If it be an opt-in system, I don't see the problem with adding a bit o' game-like fun to the whole deal!

I'm likin' the ideas for minis so far. I know I'd participate in duels 'n roleplayin' stuff if'n it's available. Could even lead to friendly competition between the crews o' the different ships, heh heh. If yeh makes all this stuff completely optional an' make that clear teh Level Ones they won't be gettin' a-penalized for not playin', I don't think they'd be overwhelmed.

I don't have any more ideas to spitball yet, Cap'n, but I'll keep my head open. Yarr!

Level 2 Mountain Elf

4 STR | 5 DEX | 1 STA | 0 CON | 4 WIS | 2 CHA

Battle Log | Epic Quest

Current Challenge: Ornata Thrives in the Darkness

Past Challenges: 1

Accountabilibuddies: CutLasses | NaNo Nerds

"In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer." - Albert Camus

I'm likin' the idea of opt-in fitness minis as well, cap'n.  Last go round, I surely enjoyed the competitions between the ships, so I'd be happy to see that sort o'mini make a reappearance.  I be glad teh help brainstorm ideas if'n ye needs it!  I be a masochist clearly, as I'm thinkin' a plank competition for amassed seconds between the shops be a good idea...

As fer story, once ye set us off teh sail, ye'll get sick of me wordy posts soon enough! ;)

• Like 1

🎪current challenge🎪

challenge archive: 19181716 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

instagram | goodreads

"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." - Voltaire

I like all the ideas so far... I'll have to work on the whole in character thing tho since my pirate kinda sucks :pirate: 

I'd say whether I do a fitness challenge would depend on when it has to be done by since my exercise plan changes pretty often.

• Like 1

Assassin

Battle Log | MFP: Amdhiel
Challenges: Current#7#6, #5, #4,
#3, #2, #1

"Why do we fall sir? So that we can learn to pick ourselves up." Alfred - Batman Begins

I agree with those above that I really liked the ship-against-ship battles. I'll think on some challenges. Do we have a storyline this time like we did last challenge?

Jazzy

Fox Demon

Level 3

STR 2 | DEX 3 | STA 1 | CON 2 | WIS 6 | CHA 1

How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time.

Spread Sheet

Lvl: 1 |

No Soda PVP - 367/365 days Soda free Starting: 08/30/14 

100%
100%

Just popping in to say that I'm still alive after a packing and moving frenzy this weekend. Sorry for disappearing! I'm excited to say that we finally have moved to our new place, and I'm loving it. Especially all the sun after living in a basement for so long! I'm kicking ass and taking names with the bodyweight workout, I did my first round of 3 circuits on my workout today and am so proud of myself. It's amazing to see the progress from 3 weeks ago!

You lasses are doing amazing! Love to see how everyone is progressing so far. I' finally have internet again and will catch up on all the action and what you all have been up to!

I'd love to join in on some physical minis, love the ideas so far! I have some ore thoughts but I'll post them tomorrow when I has more words.

• Like 2

Level: 8   Race: Wood Elf   Class: Ranger at Heart -  Training with the Adventurers

Current Adventure: A New Hope

Past Challenges: 1st  âœ² 2nd âœ² 3rd ✲ 4th ✲ 5th âœ² 6th âœ² 7th  âœ² 8th âœ² 9th

“I am and always will be the optimist. The hoper of far-flung hopes and the dreamer of improbable dreams†- Eleventh Doctor

Welcome back, tundralily!

And on that note, I be pleased teh announce that tundralily be joinin' the Sea Witch crew as me master gunner, and we be set to sail at last!  Huzzah!

• Like 5

🎪current challenge🎪

instagram | goodreads

"What d'ye think be takin' the cap'n so long?" Cap'n Jazzy asked.

"I don't know. I'd be worried if'n Somebody there did not seem so calm," Cap'n Starsapart replied as she nodded to where Somebody had been napping on top of a barrel. As if in answer, Somebody yawned and stretched, then hopped down to bat at a buckle on Jazzy's new boots. Quickly tiring of that, the cat hopped over to the railing and sat looking down the docks. Soon, ShadowLion came strolling up the quay, ahead of six heavily laden, horse drawn wagons.

The wagons came to a stop. After a few instructions to the lead teamster, the Captain came up the gangplank and greeted her fellow captains.

"Sorry fer the delay, me fine 'Lasses! It took some doing teh get all that we still needed afore putting out teh sea." ShadowLion glanced at Jazzy's boots as Somebody took her customary place atop the the captain's shoulders. "Fine boots! I see ye put a wee bit o' yer share o' treasure teh good use in town!"

The teamsters and their swampers were stacking the contents of their wagons onto the docks.

"We have a few tonnes o' munitions teh get loaded, n' then we be headin' back teh warmer climes. We'll be doing' the honors ourselves, as I did not want teh have any o' them getting' ideas about stowin' away or a-seein' that treasure we got in our holds."

Mini Challenge #2

Heave Ho!

We got us a mini, Lasses! Haul away at yer strength training. Monday through Saturday will count an' we'll run totals on Sunday teh see which ship wins!  CutLass Mini Spreadsheet

Remember, the first mini be ongoing' n' optional. (The fine crew o' the Sea Witch be a-handily beatin' all the rest o' us the last time I looked, so add more names n' distributes more treasure!)

This mini, our second, be optional as well. Have fun n' use the friendly competition teh further yer challenges! Keep track o' yer lifting n' yer bodyweight exercises this week. Thar'll be a chart o' conversions fer the bodyweight exercises on the spreadsheet. Let's get them balls, powder n' shot aboard so's we can head back teh the islands! With all o' this tradin' we be gettin' lower on rum than I be likin'!

• Like 4

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines