Back to School for Tanuki

Tanuki

AnimeBattle.gif

I can't find any 'back to school' gifs, pushup gifs or weightlifting gifs, so I'll just illustrate approximately how much I want to kick this challenge's ass.

I 'survived the summer - barely. I lost the lazy 2-3 pounds I was carrying, but even though I'm 113lb again, I don't quite look the way I did the last time I was 113lb... where are my abs, and what is this spare tyre!?

1. School lunch. 
Dex +1  Sta +2  Cha +1

A slow cut back to 110lb and enjoy some muscle definition again.

A- Get between 109.5 - 110lb and maintain.
B- Get between 110lb.1 and 111lb.
C- Get between 111.1 and 112.5lb.
D- Stay between 112.6 - 113lb.
E- Gain.

A neck injury - sleep-induced of all things. I''m so badass - cut my workouts for over two weeks. I am now back on form, but I know I've got some catching up to do.

BUT, I have a barbell now. Time to start my little modified Stronglifts 5x5 - ie: I don't think I'll be wielding triple figure weights, and I won't be doing anything that endangers me, my family or my hardwood floors. I also can't bench.

2. A Heavy Load. Str +3  Sta  +1

Start Stronglifts 5x5, as best as can be managed in ones' own home.

My bar is 10.5kg (23lb) and I have enough plates to load it to 36.5 kg (80.4lb.) My first workout, I lifted 22.5kg (50lb) for squats, rows (I did Pendlay) and 'bench' - front presses. Let's add some plates!

I'm not setting myself numerical targets here - I have no idea how much it is realistic to expect to improve and, whilst cutting and entering my 9th month of training, I am expecting something of a stall soon. So long as I add weight and train regularly, I'm happy.

A- Do SL5X5 3x a week. Replace Bench with floor presses. Add weight, lift bigger, keep at it!
B- Do SL5X5 1-2x a week. Add weight.
C- Do SL5X5 less than once a week. Add weight.
D- Do SL5X5 less than once a week and stall.
E- Do SL5X5 less than once a week.

3. Drop and Give Me Twenty.  Str +2  Dex +3

Pushups and chinups.

Hey, this is still a goal! My weightlifting should feed into my bodyweight stuff. Can I do it alongside the bar? Sure. Let''s cover the basics - squats are included in SL, and all my other stuff - planks, glute bridges - I' do during warmups.

A- Increase the number of decline pushups and chinups I can do.
D- Do regular decline pushups and chinups, but do not increase reps.

4. Hit the Books.  Wis +2

A reading challenge.

And I am also trying to get back into reading. I'm a lifelong book nerd, Lit student and one-time writer, but it's fell by the wayside of late. Mostly due to time, but also due to bad luck, as I've disliked almost every book I've picked up in recent times. I know the publishing industry wants to sell copies more than content, so it's hard finding anything without a twinkly vampire or a dishwater-dull dystopia, but really, I need to find some good, meaty text to get my brain exercised. I want to be a writer again someday? I need to start reading again.

A- 6 weeks, 6 books. Read and review.
B- 5 books.
C- 4 books.
D- 3 books.
E- 2 books.

Overall goals? Finish the challenge in peak physical condition and, more importantly, take more time to become a part of the NF community, following threads, challenges, mini-challenges and trying out some PvP!

• Like 2

warrior : level 8

str: 20.75 | dex: 13.75 | sta: 11.75 | con: 9.75 | wis: 8.25 | cha: 4.75

''Difficult' and 'impossible' are cousins often mistaken for one another, with very little in common' - Locke Lamora

It's probably from the same raccoon dog root! Adorable. I never played Mario as a kid (I had Sega and Sonic!) so I still forget Marioisms :)

thumb.gif

''Difficult' and 'impossible' are cousins often mistaken for one another, with very little in common' - Locke Lamora

Glad to see you're still in the game despite the injury.  Best of luck!

I was definitely a Sega kid, but Mario 3 is probably my favorite game. I can still remember all of the secrets from that game.

I too was a sega kid.  F those cool Nintendo kids down the block!  Alex Kidd in Miracle World defeating baddies with rock, paper, scissors!  And rackin' up all dat loot in dem dollah signs bags!

"If you're not waking up in the morning and living your life like a ritual of creation or destruction or life or death or love or hate then you really are just dieing one minute at a time."

- Paul "Grimnir" Waggener of the Wolves of Vinland

Mogi Shade, Level 4 Yeti

[STR 6] [DEX 8] [STA 4] [CON 5] [WIS 4] [CHA 4]

Current Challenge: [05]

JJSOMMER.COM | Tumblr | Instagram

Quinte Outdoor Club Meet-Up Group [ON, Canada]

Good luck with all of your goals! I'm curious- how many chin-ups/decline push-ups can you already do? I'm impressed by anyone who can do those ;)

I've been trying to read more books as well. If you need any recommendations, I've read a few good ones recently :)

Level 2 Human (Wannabe) Assassin

| STR: 1 DEX: 1 | STA: 2 | CON: 1 | WIS: 3 | CHA: 1 |

CURRENT MISSION : 001 : CYBER-ASSASSINATION 101

MISSION LOG: | 0 

Since starting in February, when I could do nothing on the pull-up bar at all and only a few knee pushups, I progressed to doing 3 sets of 12 proper pushups, and then moved on to diamond pushups (hands together, fingers like a diamond), finishing my last challenge able to do 3-4 sets of 8, and decline pushups (feet on a step), I can do 3 or 4 sets of around 10. Chin-up progression's a little slower - it took me some time to stop 'jumping' into the motion and if my upper arms went below my lower arms I couldn't get back up. But after some time I got the form sorted out, and can now chin-up right from the ground. Before I busted my neck I could do 3-4 reps, I was doing 3 sets but was increasing it to try and speed things up. I can basically do 3 in a row but then my grip goes.

Pull-ups, with the palms-facing away, I cannot do one tiny bit of :D I'm working on a sort of type-writer pushup, but I'm still a few inches off the floor. I've added in one-armed countertop pushups for a bit of one-arm practise.

• Like 1

Monday

So far I've done two Stronglifts workouts. I have hit a little snag - no squat rack, so obviously I can only squat what I can lift, clean, overhead press and lower onto my shoulders, which kind of means I'm not going to be squatting as heavy as I could in a gym, with a rack. I do get a bit depressed when these obstacles occur. I guess this is why working out at home isn't more popular.

But, needs must, and I'll do what I can. So for the first workout, I slung 22.5kg (50lb) on the bar (bar weighs 10.5) and did all three exercises with it, no problems.

Squat 22.5kg (50lb)

Bench (floor press) 22.5kg (50lb)

Row (Pendlay) 22.5kg (50lb)

5x5 completed.

On the next one, I increased the squat (nervously, wondering if I could get it over my head and down first), lowered the press (not confident with it yet) and put on as many plates as I own for the deadlift.

Squat 24.5kg  (54lb)

OH Press 18.5kg  (41lb)

Deadlift 36.5kg  (80.5lb)

5x5 completed.

Managed 5 no problem. It really makes me wonder how much I can actually deadlift. The 80lb felt light as a feather. Squatting 54lb wasn't a problem but getting the bar over my head and onto my shoulders was. I am worried I'll find myself unable to complete the move, or unable to get it up, off and down again. Husband has offered to be a squat rack. Ordered a pair of 5kg plates. Santa's gonna have to be bring me some 10s.

So, tonight's workout is back to workout A. Husband is available to be a squat rack and also help me do the floor press - I can't get under the darn bar! - so let's increase the weight tonight. Added a 1kg each side for the squat. Two 3kgs each side for the press.

Squat 26.5kg (59lb)
Bench (floor press) 24.5kg (54lb)
Row (Pendlay) 24.5kg (54lb)

5x5 completed!

Woo hoo! The squats were great fun, I wasn't sure I'd managed #25 but I did. Not sure about adding weight, though, I worry the next lot is an injury waiting to happen. My 'floor presses' feel a bit unhealthy in the shoulder area but that could be a lack of practise. The rows were fine and I'll add weight next time.

• Like 4

This week has been tricky - too many commitments with family, extended family, family flying in from overseas and then school commitments too - meetings with the teacher, spending my free time aiding homework. My daughter is almost two. Y'know what's good about two year olds? EVERYTHING! They talk and chatter and are funny and bright and we can go to new, exciting places. Cafés are no longer such a messy endeavour, she can climb at the park, we can go on longer walks and all kinds of stuff. This does mean, though, that there's less of me sitting around wondering what to do with my time. Babies are easy to workout around. Toddlers, not so much - it's too easy to just want to do fun stuff with them instead.

I need to get up early and work out in the mornings, really.

ra2UM9b.jpg

we also found a new hiking spot, full of huge climbing cliffs and crags but also some nice high trails too.

I went back to pushups and chinups today. Just basic pushups. I did 7, 7 and 7 pushups and 2, 2 and 3 chinups. This is the baseline I need to increase again. It's depressing how quickly it slips away from you but it'll be nice to see how fast it comes back.

I bought some 5k plates to add to my SL5X5 attempts. These will probably resume next week. It really depends just how energetic and enthusiastic I feel at 9pm at night (tip: not at all) and I can only add weight if my human squat rack/bench is free.

Proper cut will also start next week. I needed to eat a few things I had in the house, ensure I had stocked up on the stuff I needed and get a few things out of my system (foam sweets, mmmm.)

Off out hiking today!

• Like 3

4.47 mile hike uphill on Sunday, good fun :) And felt like effort too.

Today was crazy busy. Took my daughter to dance class, leaving at 10am, class 11.30, got lunch and a couple of essentials and got home for 2.30pm, then handed her off to my husband while I went to school for a parent-teacher talk. Then a walk into town to buy dinner, walk home, daughter's nap, cooking, dinner, baths and bed. Started workout at 9.30pm. Had to make some adjustments as I couldn't stop yawning!

Decided to omit the deadlift for the time being - there's no point when I can lift all the weight I own effortlessly so it's on hold til I buy more plates. Decided to omit the floor press as well, as I feel quite uncomfortable when my elbows come back to the ground. It just feels all wrong. Maybe I'll rig up some chairs and try dumbbell flyes or something.

So that leaves the squat, row and overhead, perfectly classic trio for someone who keeps a toy barbell under the couch. No assistance today so I kept the weight low for squat and row and increased the reps, going to fatigue-ish, and only three sets due to time constraint (I did short rest periods of 30 secs or less, probably not 'correct' but I kinda wanna go to bed!) I couldn't be arsed changing the plates for the Overhead, and wondered if I could do it at the heavier weight. I could. So that was a big jump.

Tonight's mini-lifts

Squat: Back at 24.5kg (54lb) for safety, did three sets of 8.

Row: Same weight, 54lb, did three sets of 8.

Overhead: Lazy move, leaving it at 54lb, but did 5, 4 and 5. Too much yawning then, so I'm calling it a night.

• Like 1

Second blood tests came back showing even lower oestrogen than the first. I'm being referred to a gynaecologist to explore the possibility of ovarian failure and/or early menopause.

I'm 30.

Anyway. Anyway anyway. Gotta relax. Gotta just wait and see what the next doc says. I'm feeling so, so fortunate I had my children early. 25 and 29. Not that common these days, and it was only by complete good fortune - it was a good time for a career break (finance industry had tanked) and I had met my life-partner. Another roll of the dice and my children wouldn't be here. That is good.

Relax, relax, relax.

This would be a good time for that Assassin meditation challenge, wouldn't it?

Lift. Must lift. Protect bones, protect muscles. Stay strong, defeat nature. The menopause can fuck off, I have serous metal to lift.

I'm sorry that it looks all shitty right now. Be angry, and then look even more for a solution(s). One doctor doesn't have all the answers, your body is too complex a machine for that. Uncertainty like this sucks big time, but there might be other rocks to turn where a solution might be hiding.

Hang in there, and get your support network.

"An obstacle... is an opportunity." --Greg Bartholomew Strydom in Searching for Sugar Man.

You're right, it's time for a proper update!

Task 4, reading.

Reading is something that took a real back seat when the kids were young, as I just didn't have the focus or energy to see the words, let alone absorb the meanings. Lately, though, I've gathered notes, read reviews and am zooming through text again. Although I'm still struggling to find something I really enjoy. I'm not sure why. I guess that's the publishing industry for you - they publish what sells, not what is good, and any time I pick up a 'big name' title, I find it disappointing.

The Circle by Dave Eggers. I've read a number of modern dystopia titles lately (Dark Eden, Intrusion, The Declaration), like everyone else I suppose, and I've found the same problem with each of them. They start with a nice 'what if?' idea - but then after an initial few chapters exploring that simple idea (what is life like, what was the initial announcement of the plan like, what's going on right now) they run out of steam. It's OK to say what if but it feels like no one has the energy to construct a real plot about what that idea actually means, how life actually goes on over time, and consequently they come across as very unrealistic - 'what if...?' becomes 'I guess it wouldn't last five minutes, would it?' or 'That would be unworkable.'

The Circle's no exception. It has its nice 'what if?' - basically, what if you had a single identity tied to your online and offline life, and everyone was Twitter-mad sharing everything and market research surveys took up about 60% of your day. Any form of privacy is considered secretive and deviant, and the Circle - a sort of extra-mad Google - aims to pretty much erase all notion of privacy, giving pithy speeches about how keeping a secret is a selfish crime.

But that's it. The characters deliver extremely long monologues, like they're reading a shopping list of ideas the author wanted to shoehorn in but didn't want to waste time giving them conversations and interactions. Anyone who's against the privacy laws comes across as preachy as those who are for it. It also starts from the assumption that people are eager to give away all their privacy rights, and I'm not sure that's entirely true.

The plot itself starts well but then fizzles. Characters disappear without reason and then are erased from the plot once they have no more monologues to deliver. The main character is personality-free and just does as she's told from beginning to end, which means very little excitement - will she? won't she? Of course she will!

After I'd finished it, I opened Oryx and Crake, but I think I was all dystopia'd out and I didn't finish it. Doesn't count.

I changed direction and read Bossypants by Tina Fey and How to be a Woman by Caitlin Moran, both of which I really enjoyed. HtbaW is kind of waved around as a 'new' sort of feminist text but I didn't really see it that way at all. There were no hugely divisive statements about feminisim, no rules about how to do it wrong or what the exact definitions are. I'm a feminist (obviously) and I don't fence-sit, but I do find online these days there are feminist sites or essays I feel take the issue too far and focus on one tiny piece of the picture, and I start thinking 'I don't agree with that... now I'm probably a bad feminist'. Moran's simple two-rule guide ("Do you have a vagina? Do you want to be in charge of it?") seems pretty solid ground to me! Also it was funny, and a lot of the young/teen years were reminiscient of my own. I also am interested in her views on class (how 'working class' is looked down upon, and how once you earn X you're no longer considered it whether you like it or not.) and that makes me want to explore that further. Tina Fey's was a good read, though I'd have liked a little more on, I don't know, advice I guess? Like, how to be awesome. Bestow upon me your wisdom of workplace politics! Derren Brown's books are practically self-help, despite being mostly autobiographical, so I kind of expect that a bit from such things now.

Food

This is actually going pretty good, despite the unexpected twist that I am not calorie logging at the moment. I plan out my protein - porridge in the morning (SO GOOD, especially with a pinch of mixed spice), half a Protein Works cookie, lunch (approx 25g), the other half of the cookie, a 12g protein yoghurt and then dinner (25g ish) and the rest is up to me (that lot only adds up to about 1100 cals.) I'm drinking fruit tea if I just want to emotional-eat and sticking to the high-protein snacks. I'm having a high-protein soup for dinner, which also keeps the cals down and I'm not at all hungry, so I do feel I need less in the evening.

The downside here is I've been forgetting to weigh in, but I will restart that. I'm likely just below maintenance, but some muscle definition is coming back and that's the goal. What I'm enjoying right now is no 'bad' feelings around food - no forbidden foods, just smaller portions, keeping full and choosing low-calorie things.

Stronglifts

Tonight, which will keep me at the 2x a week mark. Will use the 5kg plates to increase today, feeling confident about the squat.

Bodyweight

Pushups this morning:  9, 9, 7

Chinups: 2, 2, 3, 2. I really need to do more random ones through the day - I'm getting back that old newbie problem of being able to do 2-3 indefinitely but being unable to maintain it once I'm on the bar.

Week 3 goals?

- STAY POSITIVE!

- Track weight properly.

- Get SL to 3x a week.

- Get pushups back up to 10 and chins to 3.

• Like 1

Positive things done:

- Baked a gorgeous treacle and mixed spice Autumny cake, which tastes even better the longer you leave it in the tin. It's seriously amazing. It makes my family love me more, so, bonus.

- Signed up to some more of those money-making survey websites, so I can make tiny pennies and feel useful.

- Ordered free samples of random things like makeup, perfume, tea and applied for a scar treatment trial :D Yeah, OK, weird. But I burnt a freakin' moon into my arm a couple of months ago getting something out of the oven.

- LIFTED!

Personal bests tonight. I DIDN'T use the human squat rack. I figured if I could up my Overhead to 24.5kg, then I could handle whipping 26.5kg over my head 5 more times and not drop it. I did! So:

Overhead press: 24.5kg, 54lb, this time completed the full 5 x 5. Win!

Squat: Added 2kg to make 26.5kg, 59lb, and completed the 5 x 5 without assistance.

Row: Did 59lb, 5x5.

I'm feeling confident enough to add weight next time without risking my bones or my floors. So next squat and row will be 28.5kg, and next press will be 26.5 but I don't expect to manage the full 5x5.

• Like 2

:pride:

Squat 28.5kg, 63lb. Frustratingly felt absolutely fine in the legs, it's just getting it over my head that's the issue. Might have to stick at this weight for a while and increase reps while my press catches up. Legs are feeling amazing. Looking different too. What's the muscle that bulges out around the knee? Quad. I've got them.

Row, also 63lb. The final set was actually a bit tricky and I'm going to repeat a 5x5 at this weight, as I think I was moving my upper body.

Overhead press at 26.5. Staaaalllled. I managed 3, 3, 2 and then decided to quit, as I was getting to a point I wasn't confident of finishing the clean and I was going to drop something.

• Like 1

It's a pic post!

1. A Bronze-Age mine, gauged in the rock. Fenced off now from us common folk, but next time we're going to explore further into the woods where more sites are visible.

tWAroU5.jpg

• Like 1

It's probably from the same raccoon dog root! Adorable. I never played Mario as a kid (I had Sega and Sonic!) so I still forget Marioisms :)

thumb.gif

You are correct.

Racquet wielding rock gnome: Ranger - L6 - STR: 13, DEX: 8, STA: 13.5, CON: 12, WIS: 14, CHA: 11

Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life. Don’t let the noise of others’ opinions drown out your own inner voice.
And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition…
Stay hungry. Stay foolish.†– Steve Jobs, Stanford University, 2005

You miss 100 percent of the shots you don't take. -- Wayne Gretzky

6Wks Challenges: #9, #8, #7, #6, #5#4#3, #2.5#2, #1

Match records MyFitnesspal Fitbit Runtastic Strava

Got up early for a bit of bodyweight stuff, then threw in some squats for good measure as I hadn't put the barbell away.

Pushups: 7, 8, 10, 10

Seemed to get easier as I went along, so threw in a 4th set. Will go back to Diamond and Declines tomorrow or Sunday.

Chinups: 2, 3, 2

Sigh, never gets easier.

26.5kg squats: Did 10, then 8, then 8. Got a bit wobbly then.

Book update:

Finished After Life by Rhian Ellis, started 1356 by Bernard Cornwell. I'll review when I've a little more time.

Weight:

Started to buckle down the last couple of days. It's been hard to get motivated for this, because as a thin person trying to get thinner, it puts me in a group of people loathed more than murderers. I am struggling to handle the negativity. But, hey. ABS. Wanna see em. I also wanna see some leg muscle. I may need to do an 'after' shot as I might be developing an ass, but it could have been a trick of the light.

Dropped from 53 to 52.1 in about 24 hours - bye, water - and today's been pretty low cal. Had lunch out though - a quite shockingly bad experience at a Japanese place where service has always been slow but today they forgot to cook my food entirely, leaving me sitting there foodless while the family ate. I had to bug them and remind them to bring mine. They did, and didn't charge me for my dish, but seriously - you ruined the meal, jerks.

Anyway, shopping list is all written out for the week. Going back to some of my old Top Tips - roasting a bunch of chicken at the start of the week and eating it aaaalllll day the rest of the week, probably going to switch back to muesli for breakfast (porridge is nice, but it seems to put me in a really bad mood 20 minutes later. Like I just want to digest it and bite everyone's head off) and keep dinners very low cal, like a high-protein soup or something, and give everyone else lots of extra portions. This isn't hard - my daughter eats like a rugby player.

• Like 1

Reading challenge

I made it two-thirds of the way through 1356 before finding out it was part 4 of a series, of which I've read nothing, which explained why it wasn't making a lick of sense. I can't say it's one of Cornwell's best either - magic swords? No thanks. I'm all out of books, so I need a library trip this week.

Weight challenge

52.1kg this morning. Have roasted a bunch of chicken to feed myself through the week, as I'm all out of protein bars *cry*

Bodyweight challenge

Weekend workout! Pushups 10, 9, 10, 8, so getting back to normal now. Did 8 and then 8 decline pushups but ran out of time for Diamond. 2, 3, 2, 2 chin ups.

Stronglifts:

Planned for tonight. Likely to increase reps and not weight today, not until my press cracks 26.5.

• Like 1

Autumn finally came, good and proper. The wind and rain let me test out my new walking/outdoors gear - baselayers, fleece, new waterproof coat and waterproof, fleece-lined mittens. All were pretty amazing. I can't believe I spent all these years trying to find warm clothing in regular fashion stores when tech gear was clearly the way to go! That said, I've also got to wear my big dark-green wool coat which I adore, and cute things like fingerless gloves and scarves, so - win win.

Wanting to warm-up a bit is getting me in the mood for running again, but I might hold fire on that. I'm starting to see some muscle definition in my abs and thighs that makes me happy, and I don't want to change anything.

Barbell: stuck to 26.5kg, squatted 8, 8, 8 and rowed 8, 8, 8. Press still not so hot at that weight - 4, 4, 3, 4, 2 - but it's getting there.

Weight's creeping down, which I'm pleased with because I've done it without logging. I make a basic plan for the day - cereal, milk, snack, bagel, chicken, snack, log the protein ingredient of dinner and, the rest, eat a small portion - and it's coming in at a deficit, so that's all fine by me. 52kg this morning.

Today's plan: bodyweight workout this afternoon. Need to include declines, diamonds, get some decent numbers on the chin-ups, some basic 10kg squats then hopefully some yoga to finish off.

• Like 1

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines