Teros - XI - The Time

Teros

Last challenge after giving my all for 4 agonizing hours at a Spartan Race. I tasted bitter defeat.  To boot, I injured my ankle and it has been giving me trouble ever since. However, I am committed to healing and coming back stronger than ever to tackle the next Spartan Race in mid-November.  This introspective look made me think a lot about who I am and what I want to be.

Before NerdFitness, I was just a hammered down kid that never thought he was good at anything.  That's 'Mike'. There was an alter-ego, my ideal, Teros, which was the small whisper in the back of my mind that said, "You can do more. You can be more. I just have to commit and listen to my real self, not society's hammered-down version."  The Bad&The Ugly Vs The Good.

Over the course of being here on NF, that whisper finally started to gain traction. During my low points, You all picked me up and I started to weather the storms that normally would bring me down- the ones that would pull me back into a depression and wallow.  The whisper got stronger, louder...

By the time the Spartan Race rolled around, I felt like I was being torn in two- my 'Dark Passenger'/depression/old Mike VS my ideal/Teros.  One day I would feel like one of them, the next day I'd feel like the other. It was maddening that I could commit to something one day and feel fine and the next somehow feel like a complete failure and shoot myself in the foot.

After the Spartan, as I sat here stewing while being on these forums while dealing with an injury; something changed.  I faced a huge fear by going up against all odds- huffing around roughly 85 extra pounds of fat while going up and down rocky hills, through the mud, over walls, tire drag, carrying a sandbag, logs, burpees, etc. The fact that even in my falling, I still had Your support, the fact that I still had a will to fight through this and come back even better lit some sort of spark.  This was the tipping point. This was The Time.  I feel like that small whisper that hoped I could get better turned into a real personality with actual legs to stand on.  Now, it is not merely a whisper, it is a roar of a lion and I have no conflict in my head. I am realized. This is the tipping point in a battle that has been waging in my head since I was in second grade and was constantly being lost- until now.  I promise to all of You, and to myself that I'm not going backwards anymore. Now is The Time to be a hero and do what I knew in that near-lost kernel of my psyche I could do all along...

1) Whole+ - It's 95% whole 30, so technically it's not a whole 30. I'll be having protein powder and possibly a bit of seasoning which might have minute traces of flour/soy/milk.  It's really more like 99% whole 30, but whatever. My goal this challenge is to stick with is the entire challenge. Technically I started on Sept 1st and it was supposed to be 1 month long.  On October 1st however, I will not be backing down. I'm going to continue this and move forward.

2) Stretch - With reading up on ankle injuries and my want to push myself a bit too much, I need to keep stretching in mind. All my ankle stretches, twice a day, no exceptions.

3) Workouts - I'm walking this week to get a gauge for what my walking distance is as well as doing pushups. When I walked 2.2 mile, my Achilles was burning and after I read some stuff- that's a really bad sign. So I'm experimenting with distances until I find one that feels good, but doesn't cause pain. After I find this 'baseline' for myself, I will be sticking to it for 1 week; and then increasing the distance from here.  So I might walk 1.5 miles the first week and feel fine. Then I'll try 2 miles, then 3, etc. As long as I'm not in pain; I'm going to keep going.  5+ times per week. This is consistency. I can't be a weekend warrior and do a beast workout, then hurt myself and spend the rest of the week nursing myself back to normal. That's dumb. I can't push myself too much here so this is a gradually and progressively increasing goal until I'm fine with going up flights of stairs and walking 4+ miles. Once that happens....watch out; because my goal before the next spartan is to find out how many steps are in 5 miles, then do that IN STAIRS.  I will not be ill-prepared next Spartan.

4) Making Something - With my ankle being like this, I've had to itch to make some new gym equipment- a set of dumbbells. I'm figuring around 50 pounds.

So, I think that's it. I'll assign actual points later on but this is my tentative idea here.

• Like 21

Woot. There's about 11000 steps in 5 miles. I'm not certain how many flights of stairs that is, but oh man, you rock.

via smoke signals from my Fire

• Like 1

&,
Amazon of the Way

Gypsy Druid Paladin

Ranger Year 1: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 

Druid Year 2: 8 | 9 | 1011  | 12 | 13 |Year 3: 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 |Year 4: 1920 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 |Year 5: 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 |Year 6: 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 |Year 7: 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53| 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 |Year 8: 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 |

Local Foods Guru | Financial Freedom Fighter | Minimalism Yoda | Smaug-Slayer
Heidi Chronicles My NF Character Sheet | @theheidifeed | Amazon of Awesome | MySlashdotKarmaIsExcellent

Outstanding. Ravnos will just miss out on the awesomeness!

I love where you are with your nutrition ( I hate the word diet). Instead of on and off whole 30 feeling good and then feeling shitty, you are coming up with a plan to do all the time that you can live with. I had that issue with Paleo. Can't get to 100%. Not happy there and cheated much more when I tried. I am somewhere around 90-95% Paleo and I can live with that.

Good call on the ankle. You are much better coming,back slow and not re injuring. Do you have any resistance bands to help rehab? If not pantyhose works too!

Can't wait to see what you come up with to make for your home gym!

You are Always an inspiration and can't wait to hear about your success!

• Like 2

Level 36 Ranger Sorcerer 

Current challenge 

Gotta say that's pretty epic, especially with theGood, theBad, andtheUgly playing in the background whilst reading it.

Agreed.  The music was quite fitting while I read it :)

If the Stadium spartan race is like mine was, then you will be doing a lot of stairs!  Also probably 3 sections or so worth of squats.

Subbed, duh!! :)

tumblr_m2ou7uwkb71r5xcib.gif

• Like 1

Scout - Level 15 Half-Elf Ranger

STR15 | DEX5.5 | STA17 | CON39.5 | WIS18 | CHA10.5 

Challenges: Current Challenge #18 | #17 Part 2 | #17#16#15#14#13#12 Part 2 | #12#11 | #10 | #9 | #8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 Part II | #4 | #3 | #2 | #1

My Blog | Facebook | My BeachBody | My NF Character

Spoiler

Lose 84 lbs (From 219 to 135): Current weight = 202.9

100%
19%

Walk to Mordor (Hobbiton to Mount Doom - 1779 miles) [so far: 1515.60 miles  - logged to 06/13/16

[progress=purple]85[/progress]

coffee.jpg

here's to an awesome challenge :)

• Like 4

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

Not-Stalking-LOLCat.gif

subbed...

• Like 3

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for...

Current: RES: CUTE 2021 - cute is consistent

Spoiler

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

Can you 1 wrap your ankle, 2 tape the achilles?

I have had the surgery on my achilles...i have thoughts. .. and ideas. .. just pm of you want my advice (I don't want to seem too motherly!)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

In His hands and Under His wings, Phil 4:13; Is 40:31; Jer 29:11
 Adventurer by choice

Woohoo! Go Teros!

You're a great person, a great warrior and a great inspiration

Thank you!  I'm trying really hard and I think with myself finally being centered, I will make a lot of progress. No more holding myself back.

Not subbed. Why would I do that?  :playful:

17ebpszfuprqpjpg.jpg

Woot. There's about 11000 steps in 5 miles. I'm not certain how many flights of stairs that is, but oh man, you rock.

Ooh that's a good note to make.  Maybe next time I go to the stairs I'll count 1 flight and see if I can do some sooper importent maths.

Gotta say that's pretty epic, especially with theGood, theBad, andtheUgly playing in the background whilst reading it.

Agreed.  The music was quite fitting while I read it :)

If the Stadium spartan race is like mine was, then you will be doing a lot of stairs!  Also probably 3 sections or so worth of squats.

I just watched it the other day. I frigging love this song. It's so grandiose.

I plan to be 100% recovered and working on stairs by the end of this challenge. During the next one; ramp up my stairs like a Boss.  The cardio is what killed me in the last one. The strength/weight stuff I owned. 

I'm projecting that if I can keep a steady weightloss from now until then this should be about 12% easier.  Then factor in doing things I didn't do last time like... EATING, DRINKING, and  SLEEPING, and my chances drastically go up.  In all honesty, the only thing that matters is eating right and being 100% back to normal.  The stairs conditioning is just bonus for me at this point once I'm healed up.  If I can be a stubborn ox and put as much effort at Fenway as I did in Amnesbury; I think I have a really good shot.

Good call on the ankle. You are much better coming,back slow and not re injuring. Do you have any resistance bands to help rehab? If not pantyhose works too!

Can't wait to see what you come up with to make for your home gym!

You are Always an inspiration and can't wait to hear about your success!

Yeah, that's why I think I'm going to back out of the saturday 'beast mode' that my sister wants to do. What was happening is I would push myself and feel ok, but then later on in the day I would start getting in pain. I found out that with this ankle issue; reaggrivating it can cause permanent damage since it will heal lopsided and wrong. I'm not doing that s!#t.  Plus, the donut run after the workout is just so.....frustrating.  4 stairways does not erase 3 muffins and a large coffee.

I will be picking up my gym supplier gear TONIGHT at the obvious workout store: Lowes.

Thanks!

Looking forward to this! Subbed? Of course I'm subbed. :tongue:

Sounds great!  As usual I'll be here cheering you on!!!

Subbed, duh!! :)

Woot!  The beginning is always hectic. I hope to start subbing everyone on my awesome list.

• Like 4

Hi Teros!

*waves* Hi!

Hey Teros, excellent Times will be had these challenge I can feel it

I feel it too

wwe-the-rock-o.gif

Do you feel the electricity in the air? It's almost that time. New challenge: Accepted.

Looking forward too seeing you ace your rehab, Good luck.

Slow and steady. Let's do this!

Nice pile of stuff. I'll sub to see what you do with it.

I'll be doing plenty once I feel like I'm out of the woods injury-wise. I already miss my sledgehammering. I'll do some of that tomorrow as long as I feel balanced enough to do so.

here's to an awesome challenge :)

Thanks!  Let's rock this before Fenway, shall we?

subbed...

That picture is adorable. :tongue:  Subbing soon too.

Can you 1 wrap your ankle, 2 tape the achilles?

I have had the surgery on my achilles...i have thoughts. .. and ideas. .. just pm of you want my advice (I don't want to seem too motherly!)

I can - I just want to see what my current limit is and then plan it from there.  I'll explain in my write-up in a minute.  I'm fine with you being motherly. You're awesome.

At the Spartan, please don't be like my mom and be terrified the entire time that I'm going to be brought out on a stretcher. That's what she thought at Amnesbury.  As long as you don't do that, we're good :)

Love the challenge! Be careful with your ankle--seems like you have a good plan for easing in, but joints can be really evil, especially when you most want back on them!

I know. I had an issue with my knee a few years back and I kept aggravating it because I was impatient. It feels 100 times worse dealing with my ankle because this time I have a deadline for the Spartan so I need to heal up, and I'm a workout person so I feel even more impatient. I'm not going to make any stupid mistakes though.
  • Like 1

*Phew* So now that I caught up and am listening to that little Rock vid on repeat, it's time for a tiny update.

I walked yesterday at about 4:30am. The other day when I went 2.2 miles, my ankles burned a bit so I needed to back off. So yesterday, I instead walked to the HoneyDew which is roughly 1.6-1.7ish miles. I did an ankle stretch after the first 5 minutes of walking. I felt FINE the whole day.

Jump to this morning at about 5am. I went a little further- to the carwash which is maybe 1.9-2.0 miles. Did my ankle stretch after the 5 minutes. There was very very slight pain but I feel ok now. I think right around here is my current threshold. My plan for tomorrow is to walk to the carwash/1.9 miles and see how I feel. Once there is 0 pain, I'll try a little more. It p!@#es me off that I can't go further than this but I'm sticking with my slow recovery plan.

In food-related news, I'm still loving my protein pancakes and I just finished the last of my spicy chicken breasts with some carrots for breakfast.

I will be heading to Lowes tonight to pick up my dumbbell gear:

2 80lb bag of Quickrete

1 5 foot pvc pipe (cut there)

Possibly 1 can of black spray paint.

I'm hoping this works out how I imagine it.

OH! Before I forget to write it down, I was toying with something called the 'Batman Oath' as something that perhaps others would like to try with me from now until the end of the year.

• Like 3

Subbed! ~Slaps self in the face for not doing it sooner~

Current: Assassins / Instagram

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 
CANCELLED! Spartan Trifecta: Beast: 18-APR / Super :11-JUL / Sprint: 12-JUL

Summer Nuts: 5/6-SEPT / Nuclear Blast: 12-SEPT / Nuclear team race: 04-OCT 

"You have the heart of a Rebel"

"I'll take that as a compliment"

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines